TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
As em i …
Yeah, I'm ready to proceed as soon as BM3 is.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #27
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Reviving this old thread. Any updates on an OBD tune. I had BM3 in my f82 and do not want to mess with JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #28
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpapeleta View Post
Reviving this old thread. Any updates on an OBD tune. I had BM3 in my f82 and do not want to mess with JB4.
You can alreqdy flash tune these cars, just need to send your ECU to femto for an unlock or clone. Also, bang for your buck the JB4 is proven to be effective and very safe using lower maps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #29
Pirate1
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 compX

It’s not only a unlock …. I am 150% sure they change a chip inside the DME
And after they program it !!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #30
Celticsfan34life
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Comp

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
In for the day a tune becomes available that doesnt cost 2k on top to unlock the ECU lol
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      05-09-2022, 09:35 PM   #31
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
You can alreqdy flash tune these cars, just need to send your ECU to femto for an unlock or clone. Also, bang for your buck the JB4 is proven to be effective and very safe using lower maps.
I know you can do this. I want an option like my f82 where I can just flash tune it through the obd. I wonder how long another company can unlock it so we can flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:40 PM   #32
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpapeleta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
I know you can do this. I want an option like my f82 where I can just flash tune it through the obd. I wonder how long another company can unlock it so we can flash tune.
probably won't be for a while
      05-10-2022, 12:49 AM   #33
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Trust me when I say this - the moment someone concocts a method to unlock ECU via the OBD2 port, you will know about it. It'll be plastered everywhere and there will be non stop threads about it.

For now, it's in the best interest of the person/people that is/are working on an unlock method to wait. We're currently only 2 model years in, so there wouldn't be much money in it for them. As soon as there's an exploit, BMW will rush to patch it and it'll mean that the cars getting produced after that point won't be able to enjoy the same OBD2 unlock. The demand is not quite vast now, but it will only increase, so we'll just have to sit tight until it's released. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a method already but the masterminds behind it are waiting until there are thousands of more interested owners out there

This is also not to mention that many wouldn't risk their warranties by flash tuning their cars (I wouldn't), thus even further shrinking the number of interested parties. So I'd wager a late 2023 or 2024 release of an OBD2 unlock. But that's me being a bit pessimistic, pragmatic, and thinking like a businessman.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 12:54 AM   #34
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Trust me when I say this - the moment someone concocts a method to unlock ECU via the OBD2 port, you will know about it. It'll be plastered everywhere and there will be non stop threads about it.

For now, it's in the best interest of the person/people that is/are working on an unlock method to wait. We're currently only 2 model years in, so there wouldn't be much money in it for them. As soon as there's an exploit, BMW will rush to patch it and it'll mean that the cars getting produced after that point won't be able to enjoy the same OBD2 unlock. The demand is not quite vast now, but it will only increase, so we'll just have to sit tight until it's released. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a method already but the masterminds behind it are waiting until there are thousands of more interested owners out there

This is also not to mention that many wouldn't risk their warranties by flash tuning their cars (I wouldn't), thus even further shrinking the number of interested parties. So I'd wager a late 2023 or 2024 release of an OBD2 unlock. But that's me being a bit pessimistic, pragmatic, and thinking like a businessman.
Femto can do this, they are just protecting themselves from someone sniffing through the CanBus, and figuring out what the exploit is. It's protecting their work and it's fair.
Appreciate 1
femtoevo206.00
      05-10-2022, 05:53 AM   #35
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

Stop it. Tuning your car doesn't void the warranty!! Lol. Just ask any of the vendors who sell them🤪🤥🤥
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #36
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
Femto can do this, they are just protecting themselves from someone sniffing through the CanBus, and figuring out what the exploit is. It's protecting their work and it's fair.
So, I was just thinking, and maybe oversimplifying what I'm about to suggest but...

Can't someone in the tuning business here in America send a DME to Femto to unlock it, get it back, and reverse-engineer what they did? Even if its a chip they added or code they change, shouldn't a tuner be able to figure out how to duplicate the work?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #37
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
So, I was just thinking, and maybe oversimplifying what I'm about to suggest but...

Can't someone in the tuning business here in America send a DME to Femto to unlock it, get it back, and reverse-engineer what they did? Even if its a chip they added or code they change, shouldn't a tuner be able to figure out how to duplicate the work?
I'm wondering why only one company in the entire world has the capability to software tune the ECU's?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:42 AM   #38
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My guess is that they flash a custom bootloader that can use the previous exploit, the one used by everyone (BM3, MHD, Ecutek, etc) to write the DME binary.

No one knows how to flash that bootloader, because if they knew, we won't need Femto in the first place. When Bootmod3 say that they require Femto unlock, what they really mean is that if the Bootloader is compatible with their tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate1 View Post
It’s not only a unlock …. I am 150% sure they change a chip inside the DME
And after they program it !!
They don't, they just flash a bootloader. Femto has said that they don't do any HW changes to the DME and they are right. One easy way to prove it, is that if the BMW remote update service is enabled, it can wipe it back to factory settings.

Also the Dealership can flash it back to factory, so this is not some physical change, it's a SW change.

Last edited by 0Camus0; 05-10-2022 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #39
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Wtf is femto?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #40
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Wtf is femto?
https://www.instagram.com/femtoevo/?hl=en

A Russian company that figured out how to flash the G80 DME and 2021 Supra DME.

The thing is that, you need to send your DME physically to them, wait a few days and then when it comes back, you can use BM3 or MHD.
Appreciate 1
femtoevo206.00
      05-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #41
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
https://www.instagram.com/femtoevo/?hl=en

A Russian company that figured out how to flash the G80 DME and 2021 Supra DME.

The thing is that, you need to send your DME physically to them, wait a few days and then when it comes back, you can use BM3 or MHD.
Appreciate 6
      05-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #42
femtoevo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5/G05

Quote:

Please copy all of your passwords, pin codes and keys from your house and safe, so someone can "figure out" how to get all of your investments. It's so easy to rob someone, especially when you have all of the keys, isn't it?
Think of it as if we are giving opportunity to another companies to truly figure it out by theirselves.

Last edited by femtoevo; 05-10-2022 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:36 PM   #43
Pirate1
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 compX

Quote:
My guess is that they flash a custom bootloader that can use the previous exploit, the one used by everyone (BM3, MHD, Ecutek, etc) to write the DME binary.

No one knows how to flash that bootloader, because if they knew, we won't need Femto in the first place. When Bootmod3 say that they require Femto unlock, what they really mean is that if the Bootloader is compatible with their tools.

They don't, they just flash a bootloader. Femto has said that they don't do any HW changes to the DME and they are right. One easy way to prove it, is that if the BMW remote update service is enabled, it can wipe it back to factory settings.

Also the Dealership can flash it back to factory, so this is not some physical change, it's a SW change.

They lie
They change 1 chip inside with the same as oem but virgin !
That why bmw can relock with ota after reprogrammed…

The machine to change the chip is very very complicated! Like steam machine
Very hard to do , that why for now it’s the only one !

Will see in the future if I am correct
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #44
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by femtoevo View Post
Please copy all of your passwords, pin codes and keys from your house and safe, so someone can "figure out" how to get all of your investments. It's so easy to rob someone, especially when you have all of the keys, isn't it?
Think of it as if we are giving opportunity to another companies to truly figure it out by theirselves.
I believe I understand your analogy.

However, reading some of the previous posts, I think AhsanU hit the nail in the head. He said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "...there is not enough market for such an early model to invest on R&D to unlock the DME..." And to add to this, most G80/82 owners that want to chip their cars are pretty content with the JB4 and/or the RC from the "return on investment" perspective; $700-$900 compared to ~$4K. (IMO)

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers for posting a question that is probably in everybody's mind, including potential competitors.
Appreciate 0