02-17-2024, 05:20 AM   #23
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I will say, as an owner of a non-resonated AA single...even if it's louder when wide open, with the valves closed and in comfort it's still equally as silent as stock. If you're afraid it'll be too loud when you *don't* want it to be, don't be worried. I can go from 100% comfort silent to decently loud (sport+ with valves OEM) to 100% full volume (sport+ and valves fully open all the time) with the help of the SST valve controller.

I think the perfect setup for those who want a really nice middle-ground is a non-resonated single midpipe with stock downpipes and the stock axleback. You have the comfort of keeping stock downpipes to not affect warranty, not deal with any CELs, and no smell, and the stock axleback (muffler) is really good at removing drone and rasp. I do get a *bit* of drone at 1700-2000RPM but *only* if I have the valves fully open. If I want the drone to go away, valves back to OEM control and it's nice and compliant. Zero drone after that.

I'm happier than I even expected to be with this setup. I feel the resonated version without any other modifications would be too quiet to be worth the price for the pipe.
The sums it up perfectly. I have the mad non res midpipe and it sounds perfect. I do get some drone at certain rpms at times. Nice thing is with the sst valve controller I can right back to stock. The only downside to the exhaust is that it makes some interior panels rattle a little at certain times when accelerating.
Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-17-2024, 11:10 AM   #24
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
The sums it up perfectly. I have the mad non res midpipe and it sounds perfect. I do get some drone at certain rpms at times. Nice thing is with the sst valve controller I can right back to stock. The only downside to the exhaust is that it makes some interior panels rattle a little at certain times when accelerating.
I did notice that a little at first, but decoding ASD removed *most* of it, and I still don't notice it over the exhaust sound when I'm actually ripping it :P
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 01:41 PM   #25
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

mike@x-ph.com came through per usual. Thanks Mike!

Excited to get this midpipe installed. I appreciate the feedback gents!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:23 PM   #26
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems like the valve controller gives a lot of flexibility with volume and getting rid of drone.

I am telling myself that I will stop at midpipe and valve controller but on the off chance I decide to go further with downpipes or an axleback I think it might be safer to start with the resonated single mid to futureproof the setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 04:15 PM   #27
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

I’m torn between a single mid pipe with valve controller with stock axle back, or the AWE switchpath with non resonated mid. I’ve driven an M3 with the AWE track edition. It sounded good, maybe just a bit of drone while cruising. But I liked the deep tone it had. I suspect that the switchpath with valve controller would give me that sound but with the option to get comfort mode back. The single mid pipe gets rid of the secondary cats, so maybe a bit more raspy and not as deep at the AWE? And of course, big cost difference. Would the AWE be quieter with the valve closed given it would still keep the secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:10 AM   #28
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
I’m torn between a single mid pipe with valve controller with stock axle back, or the AWE switchpath with non resonated mid. I’ve driven an M3 with the AWE track edition. It sounded good, maybe just a bit of drone while cruising. But I liked the deep tone it had. I suspect that the switchpath with valve controller would give me that sound but with the option to get comfort mode back. The single mid pipe gets rid of the secondary cats, so maybe a bit more raspy and not as deep at the AWE? And of course, big cost difference. Would the AWE be quieter with the valve closed given it would still keep the secondary cats?
Single with stock muffler is not raspy at all with factory downpipe. Valves closed with this setup is near stock sound levels.

Save the money and get a midpipe. If you decide you want more volume grab a valve controller. If you still want more get a axle back of your choice most will fit the midpipe with a few exceptions.
Appreciate 1
cozye331.00
      02-18-2024, 12:14 AM   #29
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
The problems I saw with AWE is they don't use a standard pipe size, so if you ever want to go with a different midpipe or axleback, it won't work or you'll need some kind of fabricated adapter since most others from the likes of AA, valvetronic, MAD, etc, all use the same size piping.

Non-resonated single midpipe from AA or MAD are going to be amazing options for really not that much money. Add the SST controller for added control and flexibility.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 11:42 AM   #30
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
mike@x-ph.com came through per usual. Thanks Mike!

Excited to get this midpipe installed. I appreciate the feedback gents!
My pleasure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #31
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm just so used to having the buttons close or on the wheel. I can't go back. The only way I can compare it is moving from a Mac to a PC.

Thank you for all you do for the community. After a couple years removed from a M car, I love that the enthusiasts are still here.

P.S. It's your fault if I don't like my midpipe.
Berzerker I finally got my AA non-res midpipe installed and I'm so glad you talked me into the non-res version. For me, it's perfect. I was concerned it would either be too much or not enough but it's the perfect balance of sound for me. Tons of burbles in sport mode but can be super tame when needed. I had a $3K AWE setup on my F82 and I like this way better. I absolutely love it and wanted to thank you for your feedback. Salute!
Appreciate 2
Berzerker2885.00
m2for2227.00
      03-23-2024, 12:28 PM   #32
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

does anyone know , if single midpipe makes you lose power top end ? since the diameter is smaller than dual pipe setup
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:34 PM   #33
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodospor View Post
does anyone know , if single midpipe makes you lose power top end ? since the diameter is smaller than dual pipe setup
you won't lose any power, all the dynos posted show that you make more power with this setup.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
m2for2227.00
      03-23-2024, 10:55 PM   #34
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Berzerker I finally got my AA non-res midpipe installed and I'm so glad you talked me into the non-res version. For me, it's perfect. I was concerned it would either be too much or not enough but it's the perfect balance of sound for me. Tons of burbles in sport mode but can be super tame when needed. I had a $3K AWE setup on my F82 and I like this way better. I absolutely love it and wanted to thank you for your feedback. Salute!
100% dude. It's amazing how you can close everything up and it's as silent as it is stock, but sounds amazing when it's all open. Glad you enjoy it! Do some pulls for me too :P
Appreciate 2
dtronics412.00
m2for2227.00
      03-24-2024, 08:33 PM   #35
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
100% dude. It's amazing how you can close everything up and it's as silent as it is stock, but sounds amazing when it's all open. Glad you enjoy it! Do some pulls for me too :P
Thanks brother. Your posts have helped me with a number of things getting my car sorted. People like you are why I like this community. Thanks for all the time you spend helping people out. Cheers man!
Appreciate 2
Berzerker2885.00
m2for2227.00