BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-08-2024, 08:22 AM   #1
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Windshield PPF

Worth it?

I haven't priced it out yet, but I've read stories of insurance no longer covering glass, in addition to poor quality of replacement glass if needed, and that the glass on these cars crack easily.

Does the product truly protect the glass and is the cost worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I have film on my windshield. I'm not sure what's different about it, but it's a different product than PPF.

At the very least, I expect it to protect the windshield against the tiny pits that build up over the years and create that "star field" effect at night.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
TaroBaapG35
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1gio2 View Post
Worth it?

I haven't priced it out yet, but I've read stories of insurance no longer covering glass, in addition to poor quality of replacement glass if needed, and that the glass on these cars crack easily.

That's interesting to hear insurance aren't covering glass. Which insurance provider are you talking about?
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      03-08-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroBaapG35 View Post
That's interesting to hear insurance aren't covering glass. Which insurance provider are you talking about?
I haven't personally experienced it, but I've read that several no longer cover it without deductible and premiums go up as a result. I guess these windshields are getting too expensive and are too fragile.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:56 AM   #5
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
I haven't personally experienced it, but I've read that several no longer cover it without deductible and premiums go up as a result. I guess these windshields are getting too expensive and are too fragile.
It's not even just the glass, with all the collision avoidance tech and other sensors requiring calibration at the dealer for many cars, that adds significantly to it.
      03-08-2024, 07:03 PM   #6
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
I’ve got Exoshield. After the air bubbles settle down, you’d have no clue it’s on there. Haven’t had any issues with visibility or anything. I think I paid like $800. I forgot. Have heard great things and hope it helps protect me. I hate how intrusive a new windshield install is. And the cost is stupid and all the calibration with the sensors etc.
      03-08-2024, 07:48 PM   #7
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Next time you shop around for insurance, ask about no deductible glass coverage. I think I pay an extra $30 bucks a year. In the past 5 years I’ve had windshields replaced on a X5 and Range Rover. Both with OEM glass done in my driveway for $0.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
shj2663.00
      03-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #8
calbearz24
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I had a glass chip from a rock professionally reparied on my M440i through GEICO, at no cost to me. Reading these stories about aftermarket glass being used on insurance replacements and messing with HUD or sensors has me strongly considering taking BMW's windshield coverage on the M3 when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:23 PM   #9
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

BMW windshields are made of Saran Wrap. It’s insane how weak they are and their should honestly be more outrage about it.

As for PPF, I’ve seen where it looks like crap. Meaning it was evident it was there from the interior, blurry view.
      03-08-2024, 09:44 PM   #10
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbearz24 View Post
I had a glass chip from a rock professionally reparied on my M440i through GEICO, at no cost to me. Reading these stories about aftermarket glass being used on insurance replacements and messing with HUD or sensors has me strongly considering taking BMW's windshield coverage on the M3 when it arrives.
I would strongly suggest shopping for car insurance that offers glass protection while you’re awaiting your M3. There are a lot of companies that offer no cost glass replacement. It does vary state by state but def look into it. I mentioned it earlier but I’ve had to use it twice and both times it’s been OEM glass and they recalibrated everything.

I have my entire car covered in PPF except for the glass. I have full glass insurance coverage for a few bucks a month. For me, that’s the move versus putting any protector on my windows.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 11:03 PM   #11
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Windshield film highly recommend on a new car especially if you like to drive fast. It will get a lot more beat up than glass, but knowing that kmu have the protection and especially when a nice rock hits you and your windshield doesn't crack so great for the peace of mind. Replacement glass usually covered by insurance but the mental trauma of having to worry it was done right, risk of anything joint wrong or being damaged, in my opinion, is not worth it.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 11:26 PM   #12
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
BMW windshields are made of Saran Wrap. It’s insane how weak they are and their should honestly be more outrage about it.

As for PPF, I’ve seen where it looks like crap. Meaning it was evident it was there from the interior, blurry view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Windshield film highly recommend on a new car especially if you like to drive fast. It will get a lot more beat up than glass, but knowing that kmu have the protection and especially when a nice rock hits you and your windshield doesn't crack so great for the peace of mind. Replacement glass usually covered by insurance but the mental trauma of having to worry it was done right, risk of anything joint wrong or being damaged, in my opinion, is not worth it.
I have the windshield PPF, had it since Day 1 when I had the PPF done. 70,000 miles later, and I've already replaced it once because of some divits in the PPF from a few rocks, divits right in my line of sight. The windshield was pristine underneath.

But, like Game said, it is a bit blurry. It got better with time, but there's still some wavy spots...though my eyes got used to it. I only notice it occasionally when I look out at a certain angle at a certain time of the day. And it's self healing like most PPF, so over time, most small nits will become less and less noticeable.

I love having the protection though. And I have windshield insurance, but I prefer to avoid a windshield replacement.

Would I do it again? Definitely. Hec, I have it on both my cars.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 12:30 AM   #13
M3PC
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 2017 Shelby GT350

I have a new M3 and I just went to a local shop that professionally applied front PPF (Xpel) and also the Bray Windshieldskin. It was $500 for the Bray. It is very clear and no optical distortion. Like others stated, I wanted to avoid the random rock that would chip/crack the windshield and have to deal with an expensive replacement. I can’t comment on longevity since it is new. Remind me to provide a comment in 1-2 years!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:50 AM   #14
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
I would strongly suggest shopping for car insurance that offers glass protection while you’re awaiting your M3. There are a lot of companies that offer no cost glass replacement. It does vary state by state but def look into it. I mentioned it earlier but I’ve had to use it twice and both times it’s been OEM glass and they recalibrated everything.

I have my entire car covered in PPF except for the glass. I have full glass insurance coverage for a few bucks a month. For me, that’s the move versus putting any protector on my windows.
Just be careful how many times you use that zero deductible glass coverage. It definitely gets recorded on your insurance history and will impact your ability to get new insurance later on down the road.

We live in Phoenix and the roads are always a mess with rocks or other debris. We’ve had to use it on many occasions…there was even one time where I had to replace the windshield on my X3 twice within 3 months. When we went shopping around for new insurance last year, we got denied and it said we had too many claims on our report. Got a copy of the CLUE report and it was essentially due to all the glass claims over the last several years we had made. Granted we my wife did have an accident with her car too…but it had been over three years since that claim had been closed and everything else were glass claims between our two cars.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      03-10-2024, 01:28 PM   #15
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Worth it?

When I asked a few shops for ClearPlex it’s supposed to only last 18 months and then you need to replace it again. A few of them quoted me 700 or north of 700. I was like… if I’m dropping like 700 every 1.5 years, forget it. I’d rather put that money away and pay for a new windshield.

It’s not like normal PPF which is warrantied for 10+ years.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:56 PM   #16
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

The windshield film will get beat up for sure. We're planning to replace every 6-12 months, due to the type of driving that we do. But the fact that the oem windshield is intact and factory seals don't get touched, is a huge benefit as well as not having it on your insurance as someone already claimed. Not to mention the peace of mind and ability to enjoy the car worry free that you will get a crack.
Appreciate 0