BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

07-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Well this was a surprise….

I ordered a 2023 M4 base on 7/8/22 and was told by my dealer that they thought it was slated for a week 36 build.

On 7/14 the status updated to “Scheduled for 2023 Production.”

Cool… I live in NJ, don’t really need this sitting in my garage all winter anyway. Figured it would come in the spring.

Today, get a text from my sales guy “ Hey Chris just wanted to let you know production just started on your car.” Check the website and no status change though.

So I called the Genius line and I’ll be damned- production is underway, and slated to be completed on 7/27. They explained there’s a lot of variables but if the stars aligned I could be looking at my car here the end of August or early September.

Did I just get really lucky here or am I getting set up to be let down??????

Previously I’ve had two builds completely stall after a VIN was assigned and nothing happen other than getting pushed back time after time until I broke down and canceled the order.

Build Spec:

2023 M4 Base
6MT/ RWD
Dravit Grey
Black 826M
Fiona Interior
Carbon Buckets
Carbon Interior
Carbon Exterior
Laser Lights
Extended Shadowline Trim
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      07-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Yikes, they actually got pushed you back after VIN assigned? If production started, you're in good shape 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
disancke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32; 2023 G82 XDrive

Did you pay markup? I called around actively recently to tristate dealers but didn't find an allocation for M4 right away. The good things is I do feel that compared to multiple months ago when I placed my first deposit, dealers are charging less/no markups now and the waitlists are shorter.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Edgar_86 View Post
Check the website and no status change though.
The website is often a day behind; I bet it will reflect the 150 status tomorrow.

Congrats, you're making good time... so far.
      07-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disancke View Post
Did you pay markup? I called around actively recently to tristate dealers but didn't find an allocation for M4 right away. The good things is I do feel that compared to multiple months ago when I placed my first deposit, dealers are charging less/no markups now and the waitlists are shorter.

I did not pay a markup. This is the second car I have bought from this dealer (both post covid) and they have been great to work with and no BS…. Atlantic City, BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3coco View Post
Yikes, they actually got pushed you back after VIN assigned? If production started, you're in good shape 👍
Yeah happened once in Spring 2021 and then again in Fall. One was an M3 the other was an M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
disancke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did not pay a markup. This is the second car I have bought from this dealer (both post covid) and they have been great to work with and no BS…. Atlantic City, BMW
Oh nice! I actually called shortly after your order date and they told me the allocation was just sold, so it was you! Truly straightforward and no BS, in the sense that they didn't even bother holding a waitlist lol, only said will get back to me if they have an allocation. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh nice! I actually called shortly after your order date and they told me the allocation was just sold, so it was you! Truly straightforward and no BS, in the sense that they didn't even bother holding a waitlist lol, only said will get back to me if they have an allocation. Interesting.
Oh nice sorry to steal your allocation!

FWIW they had an open allocation on a purple Jahre M3 at MSRP.
Appreciate 1
disancke142.00
      07-20-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
disancke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh nice sorry to steal your allocation!

FWIW they had an open allocation on a purple Jahre M3 at MSRP.
Thanks but not really into M3 haha. Nice build btw. Take good care of her
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:06 PM   #10
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

Quote:
Quote:
same here!!! and the wild thing is the CA told me it was competition only and not a base which i had wanted..
      07-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpl3ish View Post
same here!!! and the wild thing is the CA told me it was competition only and not a base which i had wanted..
It was. They also told me they couldn’t do carbon seats/ carbon exterior packages. So I said I didn’t want the car.

An hour later I got an email from the GM Michael there that said “ Attached is the build, we had a BMW rep do us a huge favor to get this in, please confirm you are ok with this build so we can adjust the order for you.”

They were somehow able to switch it to a base and get the carbon seats/ exterior on for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #12
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

Quote:
Quote:
It was. They also told me they couldn’t do carbon seats/ carbon exterior packages. So I said I didn’t want the car.

An hour later I got an email from the GM Michael there that said “ Attached is the build, we had a BMW rep do us a huge favor to get this in, please confirm you are ok with this build so we can adjust the order for you.”

They were somehow able to switch it to a base and get the carbon seats/ exterior on for me.
ahhh i see. i was debating for the longest time if i wanted to pay more for the comp and by the time i decided yes it was gone!

but yeah never got that far to the build, i would've wanted carbon buckets and individual paint too. super stoked for you though congrats
      07-21-2022, 04:13 AM   #13
jct_m3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Garage List
A lot of M4's have been hitting production quick! the convertibles have been getting allocated and hitting production super fast. They're also made at a different plant than the M3.

Congrats tho!
      07-21-2022, 04:20 AM   #14
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhh i see. i was debating for the longest time if i wanted to pay more for the comp and by the time i decided yes it was gone!

but yeah never got that far to the build, i would've wanted carbon buckets and individual paint too. super stoked for you though congrats
I had an xDrive comp before this- but really wanted the carbon buckets and a manual transmission.

$20k would solve the seat problem but not the transmission swap :-) was easier to sell and make a few grand over my OTD price and build a new one and wait.

The xDrive comp was freaking amazing though! Crazy power and grip… I’m actually looking forward to the base being “slow” as there’s more useable power to tow the gears through where/ how I drive.
Appreciate 0