home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-11-2023, 08:52 PM   #45
BlueBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xdrive

Was curious also.
Yes could read owners manual but candidly someone posting here and now a search much easier.
For a production car the squeaking is not normal. Race car yes production car rare
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      05-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #46
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902502

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1932771

Here are some other threads on the topic that have videos and discussion about needing to get the discs clean (including in the holes).
      05-11-2023, 11:13 PM   #47
Turbodu07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Read your manual
Piss off and move on then you wanker.

What a big D move again.

I liked the original post since my breaks squeal and I didn't want to search for old shit.
Appreciate 2
BimmerFix1390.50
Aalfred2619.00
      05-12-2023, 12:11 AM   #48
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
R u friends with him or what? Ive seen multiple threads from him all with snarky comments and nothing useful. Thinking he is too funny. Its very simple, if you dont feel like answering a post, just move on to the next thread. Just like most of us do. You dont see everyone answering every threads. Have u personally tried the search function on this site? Its terrible. You have to go to google to search for a post on bimmerpost. So the answer is simple, if you dont wanna answer it or feel annoyed, DONT DO IT, MOVE ON. How dumbed down is that. Its a forum and last time I checked, there isnt any limits on the posts you make or asking repeated questions. If there is one, the moderator would say so. So just stick to your lane. We are all adults here (maybe some arent), but stop posting shit asking to search. Peace out !!!
Not friends with him, and I don't want to fight with you or anyone. I use the search all the time, agree not great, but you'll easily find this answer because there's like 20 threads all asking the same questions over and over. Also, no rule I can't post to say try a search, not sure why you get to decide what people should or shouldn't post... I was just offering a different perspective.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #49
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Ive dealt with this guy before. He never has anything useful to say except for some snarky ass comments. I think he is just lonely and trolling this forum thinking he is a comedian. Ive let it fly past before but wanted to call out his BS. Its like they act like they r the moderators on this forum and dont have anything useful to share except for search the forum or go look into the manual. I hope he stops these stupid comments, but he wont, will move on to someone else thread and post some idiotic comments there too. He prob needs to get laid than sitting his fat ass in a basement typing his shit away
Aalfred, this post isn't very nice. I simply said to read your manual. Lovingly. Its right in there from BMW themselves.

You wouldn't have believed a fat guy in his moms basement if he just said "oh yeah its fine don't worry about that squeaking", now would you?

I'm not sure why you are so angry when all I did was provide you with the most accurate, efficient (and ironically "useful") source to answer your question.

Aalfred, please don't be angry with me, I love you.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #50
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Aalfred, this post isn't very nice. I simply said to read your manual. Lovingly. Its right in there from BMW themselves.

You wouldn't have believed a fat guy in his moms basement if he just said "oh yeah its fine don't worry about that squeaking", now would you?

I'm not sure why you are so angry when all I did was provide you with the most accurate, efficient (and ironically "useful") source to answer your question.

Aalfred, please don't be angry with me, I love you.

Forzanerazzurri Stop with the fake stuff. You do this all the time in the other post too. Post some stupid snarky comments and then when called out pretend that "oh its a joke" or "I was just trying to be funny". So please stop. I would rather have taken the comment of "oh yeah its fine don't worry about that squeaking" well than yours coz all you try to do is to be a smart ass. So stop pretending and just call shit out like it is. One line zingers are for comedians and you sir are definitely not one. Good Bye !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:58 PM   #51
Reprosal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3XC

I have my IS1500 brake pads sitting on the bench in the garage. Too scared to change them myself
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      05-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #52
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Jeez…dont u ever stop !!! Must be bored up there in Canada. If you dont have anything useful to share, stop posting stupid comments !!!
Why was it stupid?
He gave the right answer.

It didn’t sound rude at all.
The pertinent info is in the manual. Brake squeal is normal.

Incidentally, kinda find it funny that I have the CCB and they are whisper quiet. Never a squeal squealch or sound, nary a pip.

I thought that was supposed to be the opposite, that the CCB’s were loud and the regular brakes were quiet?

Oh well, it’s a non issue either way.
Normal operation.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #53
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

I'm at 1000 kms and the brakes squeak under soft braking, slower city traffic or stopping for stop sign/red light. No squeak under harder braking so I guess drive in S+ mode all the time and stop hard to eliminate the squeaking

As for the poster being talked about in this thread, solution is simple, just ignore him. I've found he adds very little value.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      05-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #54
8262S
Captain
Rep

Aalfred:

I gotcha.

1. Read your manual.

2. Then do this to fix the squeaky brakes (which is not in the manual).

Take wheels off, spray wheel cleaner on the brake discs, and scrub discs with a nylon brush.

Then -- and this is probably the most important thing -- use a pressure washer to rinse the brake discs. You have to get in between the inside and outside discs. Spray the pressure washer directly into the vanes between the disc surfaces. A lot of brake dust will be carried out of the discs (you will have to rinse your garage out after).

I used an air compressor to blow the water out of the bolt holes before reinstalling the wheels.

I went for a drive and ... no squeaking. It was perfectly quiet.

Earlier today driving downtown I was next to a dump truck and I swear my M3 had brakes that squeaked louder than the truck!

Now, silent. And I did not do any heavy driving to make it go away. It was all washing.

From what others were saying about cleaning the drilled holes in the rotors, I surmise that after a while so much brake dust gets built up in the vanes in the center of the rotors the dust just constantly works its way between the pads and rotor. That contamination is likely what is causing the noise.

I will give it a couple of days and report back. But our car was pretty much free of squeaks the first 7,000 miles or so. We have only been dealing with it the past 5K (and it is less apparent in the winter when it is wet or humid outside).

I am hoping for the best!
      05-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #55
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Fwiw, all of the advice about aggressive driving, 150-30 stops, cleaning out the drilled holes in the rotors every x weeks, is total unnecessary work and frustration if you just want to drive the thing without neighborhood dogs howling at you from the high pitched squeal that will eventually, annoyingly, always come back. I have a G80 comp, with standard rotors, and 36K miles of driving since I took delivery in March of 2021. I’ve done all of the things suggested here, and the squealing always came back. 200-500 miles of bliss just to fool you into thinking you solved it, and then it’s back. Always. I’ve greased the stock pads. Nothing. Switched to the Carbotechs. Nothing, plus with those bad boys you have the joy of not stopping at all for a hot second after a rain or car wash. Unacceptable. I just want to drive and not be annoyed.

Finally, at 33,000 squeaky miles, I solved it, this time I believe for good. EBC red stuff for the rear pads, and iSweep IS2000 for the front. I would have done EBC for both, but EBC doesn’t actually make the fronts. That would be too easy, and they would probably sell a ton of them and make too much money, and then who knows what would happen?

So this is it - the secret formula for a factory-like stopping experience without the factory-like crusting of brake dust every 6 or 7 miles, and the sweet, sweet bliss of SILENCE when you stop. For the rear pads, EBC Redstuff (or iSweep IS2000 if you prefer to spend a lot more money). For the front, iSweep IS2000. I’ve logged 2,000 commuting miles on this setup, with no attention paid to the wheels other than a weekly touch less car wash, and the wheels are clean, and the silence is, well, pure joy.

Good luck, and Godspeed. This, my friends, is the answer. If anyone wants proof, I can send you a recording of the silence. You could also replicate it yourself. Just sit in your car and don’t move or say anything for a second. Windows down, car running, no radio. Listen to the nature, the birds, the Jimmy John’s drive thru cashier admiring your sweet ride. Do you hear it? Coming from your brakes? The silence? Enjoy it. I will too.

Oh, and Aalfred, my man. Love you like a brother, but I don’t have time in my life for all of that. Also, none of of it actually works. Not for very long anyway. Change the pads. Drive the thing. Enjoy your life. You’re welcome.
Appreciate 7
AWDSOME629.50
kgelfen3602217.00
Aalfred2619.00
Joachim328.00
evidence202.00
somer966.00
Needsdecaf6606.00
      05-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #56
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
CCBs 14,541 miles, and I'm a late braker. I've heard the train sound, twice in those miles. I usually try to keep the brakes clean, but, even if I forget, the brakes are 99% silent.

Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      05-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #57
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Fwiw, all of the advice about aggressive driving, 150-30 stops, cleaning out the drilled holes in the rotors every x weeks, is total unnecessary work and frustration if you just want to drive the thing without neighborhood dogs howling at you from the high pitched squeal that will eventually, annoyingly, always come back. I have a G80 comp, with standard rotors, and 36K miles of driving since I took delivery in March of 2021. I’ve done all of the things suggested here, and the squealing always came back. 200-500 miles of bliss just to fool you into thinking you solved it, and then it’s back. Always. I’ve greased the stock pads. Nothing. Switched to the Carbotechs. Nothing, plus with those bad boys you have the joy of not stopping at all for a hot second after a rain or car wash. Unacceptable. I just want to drive and not be annoyed.

Finally, at 33,000 squeaky miles, I solved it, this time I believe for good. EBC red stuff for the rear pads, and iSweep IS2000 for the front. I would have done EBC for both, but EBC doesn’t actually make the fronts. That would be too easy, and they would probably sell a ton of them and make too much money, and then who knows what would happen?

So this is it - the secret formula for a factory-like stopping experience without the factory-like crusting of brake dust every 6 or 7 miles, and the sweet, sweet bliss of SILENCE when you stop. For the rear pads, EBC Redstuff (or iSweep IS2000 if you prefer to spend a lot more money). For the front, iSweep IS2000. I’ve logged 2,000 commuting miles on this setup, with no attention paid to the [...]
Thank you for the info. How long do you expect iSweep IS2000 will last under normal daily driving (no track).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:00 AM   #58
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Aalfred:

I gotcha.

1. Read your manual.

2. Then do this to fix the squeaky brakes (which is not in the manual).

Take wheels off, spray wheel cleaner on the brake discs, and scrub discs with a nylon brush.

Then -- and this is probably the most important thing -- use a pressure washer to rinse the brake discs. You have to get in between the inside and outside discs. Spray the pressure washer directly into the vanes between the disc surfaces. A lot of brake dust will be carried out of the discs (you will have to rinse your garage out after).

I used an air compressor to blow the water out of the bolt holes before reinstalling the wheels.

I went for a drive and ... no squeaking. It was perfectly quiet.

Earlier today driving downtown I was next to a dump truck and I swear my M3 had brakes that squeaked louder than the truck!

Now, silent. And I did not do any heavy driving to make it go away. It was all washing.

From what others were saying about cleaning the drilled holes in the rotors, I surmise that after a while so much brake dust gets built up in the vanes in the center of the rotors the dust just constantly works its way between the pads and rotor. That contamination is likely what is causing the noise.

I will give it a couple of days and report back. But our car was pretty much free of squeaks the first 7,000 miles or so. We have only been dealing with it the past 5K (and it is less apparent in the winter when it is wet or humid outside).

I am hoping for the best!
Thanks. Im gonna try that when Inswap out my summers. Just swapped out my winters and too lazy to take the wheels off and do the cleaning stuff. Might have to deals with those squeaky bastards for another 3-4 months lol
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:03 AM   #59
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So this is it - the secret formula for a factory-like stopping experience without the factory-like crusting of brake dust every 6 or 7 miles, and the sweet, sweet bliss of SILENCE when you stop. For the rear pads, EBC Redstuff (or iSweep IS2000 if you prefer to spend a lot more money). For the front, iSweep IS2000. I’ve logged 2,000 commuting miles on this setup, with no attention paid to the wheels other than a weekly touch less car wash, and the wheels are clean, and the silence is, well, pure joy.

Good luck, and Godspeed. This, my friends, is the answer. If anyone wants proof, I can send you a recording of the silence. You could also replicate it yourself. Just sit in your car and don’t move or say anything for a second. Windows down, car running, no radio. Listen to the nature, the birds, the Jimmy John’s drive thru cashier admiring your sweet ride. Do you hear it? Coming from your brakes? The silence? Enjoy it. I will too.

Oh, and Aalfred, my man. Love you like a brother, but I don’t have time in my life for all of that. Also, none of of it actually works. Not for very long anyway. Change the pads. Drive the thing. Enjoy your life. You’re welcome.
Dang…thanks a lot bro for the awesome advice. Im inly at 4000 miles…might have to suck it up for another 20-25K and swap out the pads. Or maybe ill then my G80 to the track and voila…need new pads after that lol
Appreciate 1
spridge646.00
      05-28-2023, 12:05 AM   #60
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
CCBs 14,541 miles, and I'm a late braker. I've heard the train sound, twice in those miles. I usually try to keep the brakes clean, but, even if I forget, the brakes are 99% silent.
Dang Im jealous. I always thought CCB were for those who track or drive their cars hard but had I known they would be quiet, it would be well worth the 8K upcharge !!!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      05-28-2023, 07:20 AM   #61
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Seems like the cold hard truth right here!

My pressuring washing of the discs substantially reduced the squealing, but it is is still there just a bit on occasion. Still it was worth the little extra effort when detailing or changing the wheels.

With the factory warranty extended to 75K miles, which covers brake pads and rotors, I am reluctant to change pads. I am less concerned with the covered pad replacement, and more about then having the dealership deny my warranty claim and having to buy the discs too when needed.

Are you all just punting on the brake pad and disc warranty and accepting that you will be paying for pads and discs?
      06-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #62
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Thank you for the info. How long do you expect iSweep IS2000 will last under normal daily driving (no track).
15-20K miles, no problem. Especially the fronts.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      07-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #63
8262S
Captain
Rep

I have good news, and bad news.

The good news is that I have a 100% fix for squeaky brakes.

The bad news is that it only lasts for several days of DD before it starts to return (albeit at a much reduced level).

The fix: 25 laps of Road America.

😎
      07-10-2023, 03:53 PM   #64
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

I haven't heard a peep out of my ebc reds, did maybe 500km already. There was some brake dust over that 500km but it could be that material that they put on the top of the pad, washed them the other day and will monitor the dust, today there's nothing after 30km.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      07-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #65
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
I have used EBC pads on multiple cars in the past and loved them. I saw someone mentioned that EBC doesn't make the front in Red Stuff but it looks like they do now correct?

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...f05561f1&_ss=c

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      07-11-2023, 02:38 PM   #66
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
I have used EBC pads on multiple cars in the past and loved them. I saw someone mentioned that EBC doesn't make the front in Red Stuff but it looks like they do now correct?

G8x EBC red fronts have been shipping for a few months now. They are having trouble keeping up w demand and finding them in stock has been tough. Hopefully gets better as they get in front of pent up demand.
Appreciate 1
to///m264.00