Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp X-drive

Garage List
Decided to pick up a 4 corner set of isweep 1500 pads for my 2023 Comp X-drive and give them a try.

Why? The dusting was too much, and it left wheels, suspension, and even the door full of iron brake dust which then corrodes. It’s amazing to see how much iron gets dusted on the car using a cleaner like GYEON Quartz Iron remover which turns purple when oxidizing iron.

Why iSWEEP? Have used most EBC colors, Carbotech (helped me win Viper Days Challenge Series), and Hawk pads so wanted to try something new.

Ordering: The iSWEEP pads took about a month to arrive, and were packaged ok (boxed, wrapped in Japanese news paper) and included copper anti-seize.

Install: Since my car has only 1000 miles, install was a snap. Took longer to get the wheels off. Used brake grease on the back side of the pads as I always do, and used the copper antiseize on the pins and sides of the pads so removal would be easy. There was adequate clearance between pad an caliper to prevent binding, but not enough to make them rattle. Great fit. Given the low miles, no need to retract any pistons, front or rear. The pads literally dropped in.

Bedding: no information was available and the pads didn’t look like they were pre-bed. For the price, I think they should have been pre-bedded. So I went out and did six 60-0 stops then four 85-0 and let them cool.

Bite, cold: Same as OEM
Bite, Hot: same as OEM, They advertise a slightly higher bite then OEM, and maybe it’s true, but not enough for me to notice a significant difference. They do stop well.

Squeak/Squeal: Zero hot, zero cold. They are quiet, even with a light touch and “riding” them. I couldn’t get them to make any sound at all.

Dust: This is interesting, as with most organic/Caramic Kevlar pads (like EBC RED, CT 1521’s), the pad material is a tan/grey color. So naturally the dust is a tan/grey color. If you look at the picture, you can see the dust on the black part of my wheels after a 50 miles drive. On lighter color wheels the dust would barely be noticeable, but you can see it on black. The dust is a larger grain size than OEM, and wipes off much more easily than the OEM brake dust. And best of all doesn’t throw iron all over everything.

Conclusion: They do seem to dust less, but they aren’t zero dust. On lighter color wheels you might be able to go several days without noticing the dull tan color dust from a foot away. However, they seem to perform about the same as EBC Red’s or Carbotech 1521’s in every way. The wheels, suspension, etc will stay looking newer longer as you won’t get pockets of brake dust/iron built up on parts that are hard to clean during a regular wash. But the higher price for these pads doesn’t seem to be justified to me after a couple weeks in. If they last longer then the price would be justified, but will be hard to tell without a back to back over similar driving conditions. Note that this is the least dust street pad option from iSWEEP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
ryanb0655.00
LuckyBrand1321.50
Hendo741645.00
Kaiz3n0.00
AJ191.50
M4Tejas788.00
T0RM3NT3642.00
      03-07-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Conclusion: They do seem to dust less, but they aren’t zero dust. On lighter color wheels you might be able to go several days without noticing the dull tan color dust from a foot away. However, they seem to perform about the same as EBC Red’s or Carbotech 1521’s in every way. The wheels, suspension, etc will stay looking newer longer as you won’t get pockets of brake dust/iron built up on parts that are hard to clean during a regular wash. But the higher price for these pads doesn’t seem to be justified to me after a couple weeks in. If they last longer then the price would be justified, but will be hard to tell without a back to back over similar driving conditions. Note that this is the least dust street pad option from iSWEEP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed write up. This will help people in the future. I do agree on the price of these that they are pricey for what they are but there aren't many options out there so....In the end these are just brake pads. I mean do they really need the M tax price? LOL.

Interesting indeed on the brake dust color. I guess at least it is better than OEM but I thought I might see better results? I know their have been some other threads on these pads with pics and their wheels maybe looked better than yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #3
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31shifter View Post
Decided to pick up a 4 corner set of isweep 1500 pads for my 2023 Comp X-drive and give them a try.

Why? The dusting was too much, and it left wheels, suspension, and even the door full of iron brake dust which then corrodes. It’s amazing to see how much iron gets dusted on the car using a cleaner like GYEON Quartz Iron remover. Turns purple when oxidizing iron.

Why iSWEEP? Have used most EBC colors, Carbotech (helped me win Viper Days Challenge Series), and Hawk pads so wanted to try something new.

Ordering: The iSWEEP pads took about a month to arrive, and were packaged ok (wrapped in Japanese news paper) and included copper anti-seize.

Install: Since my car has only 1000 miles, install was a snap. Took longer to get the wheels off. Used brake grease on the back side of the pads as I always do, and used the copper antiseize on the pins and sides of the pads so removal would be easy. There was adequate clearance between pad an caliper to prevent binding, but not enough to make them rattle. Great fit. Given the low miles, no need to retract any pistons, front or rear. The pads literally dropped in.

Bedding: no information was available and the pads didn’t look like they were pre-bed. For the price, I think they should have been pre-bedded. So I went out and did six 60-0 stops then four 85-0 and let them cool.

Bite, cold: Same as OEM
Bite, Hot: same as OEM, They advertise a slightly higher bite then OEM, and maybe it’s true, but not enough for me to notice a significant difference. They do stop well.

Squeak/Squeal: Zero hot, zero cold. They are quiet, even [...]
Thanks for the review. You mentioned you’ve used most of EBCMs lines on pads. How would you compare these to the EBC yellow pads? I was thinking of going this route but haven’t seen many reviews yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
It’s a close up shot, if I stood back a couple feet it’s not nearly as noticeable. It’s also fair that the pads are still new (less than 200 miles). I’ll repeat with before and after pictures over the course of a week’s daily commute, after i get a few more miles on them. By then my Edelweiss wheels should be in and I’ll repeat with lighter wheels.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1321.50
      03-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
Thanks for the review. You mentioned you’ve used most of EBCMs lines on pads. How would you compare these to the EBC yellow pads? I was thinking of going this route but haven’t seen many reviews yet.
Reds are great street pads, as they tend to operate best at lower temps. They will last longer on the street than yellows, and dust far less. Not sure about noise, it’s not something I’ve had an issue with regardless of pads (noise is more of a function of how you brake than the pads).

Yellows work awesome at high temps, higher than you’d typically see on the street. They dust quite a bit, and in my experience wear faster than Reds at low temps but hold up better (last longer) than Reds at higher temps. Yellow’s to me are great autocross or HPDE days on tracks, but not for racing.

Reds are closer to the iSWEEP 1500, yellows are in another class of pads.
Appreciate 2
evoi191523.50
mathys202.50
      03-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #6
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31shifter View Post
Reds are great street pads, as they tend to operate best at lower temps. They will last longer on the street than yellows, and dust far less. Not sure about noise, it’s not something I’ve had an issue with regardless of pads (noise is more of a function of how you brake than the pads).

Yellows work awesome at high temps, higher than you’d typically see on the street. They dust quite a bit, and in my experience wear faster than Reds at low temps but hold up better (last longer) than Reds at higher temps. Yellow’s to me are great autocross or HPDE days on tracks, but not for racing.

Reds are closer to the iSWEEP 1500, yellows are in another class of pads.
Thanks for the insight, that was helpful. Considering reds are on back orders until who knows when, I may have to go with iSWEEP or Carbotech.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1321.50
      03-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Bumping up to get any more thoughts now that you've had them on for a few weeks. I have the iSeeep fronts and rears sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for me to get around to installing them. I've got the low speed squealing and the crazy amounts of brake dust from the OEM pads and was really hoping the iSweeps knocked both of those things out, just like other ceramic pads have done with other performance cars I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:43 PM   #8
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
Bumping up to get any more thoughts now that you've had them on for a few weeks. I have the iSeeep fronts and rears sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for me to get around to installing them. I've got the low speed squealing and the crazy amounts of brake dust from the OEM pads and was really hoping the iSweeps knocked both of those things out, just like other ceramic pads have done with other performance cars I've owned.
They are much better than stock, but still dust, just not as much. I would install them for sure. There is far less iron all over my car, and the wheels look much better, no brown color and no rust after a rain. It’s only when you get close can you see the dust. On non-black wheels the dust would be even less noticeable. ZERO noise.

If you didn’t already have them, then I’d recommend the EBC Red as I think they perform the same except EBC Reds are less expensive.

These pics are after almost 200 miles of driving my daily commute (3 days). That’s my finger mark on the bottom of the wheel in the second picture to show the dust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
LuckyBrand1321.50
vbb1865.50
Vinnrox2503002.00
Kaiz3n0.00
maelfyn156.50
      03-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Thanks for the update and pics. Though that's more dusting than I was expecting, it's way better than OEM. And since I already have the pads, might as well put them on. I'll know better the next time that similar or better results could be had for cheaper than iSweep, but again, I've already got them and don't have any interest in returning them now.

Again, thank you.
Appreciate 1
31shifter256.00
      03-20-2023, 12:44 PM   #10
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

I’ve got EBC Reds on the rear, just waiting for them to be available for the front. I can’t see paying almost $500 for set of iSweep 1500s.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2567.00
      03-20-2023, 02:42 PM   #11
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
I’ve got EBC Reds on the rear, just waiting for them to be available for the front. I can’t see paying almost $500 for set of iSweep 1500s.
I can't rationalize spending $620.00 for F/R iSweeps either. Waiting it out until EBC front reds are available. I can put with the dust until then. LOL...
      03-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #12
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson11 View Post
I can't rationalize spending $620.00 for F/R iSweeps either. Waiting it out until EBC front reds are available. I can put with the dust until then. LOL...
The only way they might be justified is if they last substantially longer, but thats not going to be a clear answer nor will come anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #13
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Xdrive

I went with IS1500 because I saw some videos where Red EBC pads had enough dust not to consider the change. After 450 miles, the dust was minimal in two weeks, and it got the same quantity as OEM ones in half-day and was super easy to clean.
First 300 miles, I felt less bite than OEM; now I can say just a little bit less, but when you call them, it brakes without any problem, and in traffic, they are easier to modulate.

Total worth the change for me.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1321.50
robbys3m31941.00
      03-25-2023, 10:14 AM   #14
breal1028
Rep
Drives: X5 M4 21

Where did you purchase these?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 11:33 AM   #15
31shifter
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by breal1028 View Post
Where did you purchase these?
I bought mine from IND
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
Jonathanjpalermo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Xdrive

I put Isweep on my fronts only, and EBC Red in the rear (would have done EBC both but didn’t want to wait.) This picture is my front rim a month after my last wash. And probably close to 800 miles. It’s like 1/10th of the dust compared to stock pads. Zero squeal, and bites reasonably close to OEM. I agree they’re overpriced, but the thought of spending hours to detail my car, and then one trip to dinner and the wheels were covered in brown dust was just intolerable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
LuckyBrand1321.50
r33_RGSport12972.00
262Hou49.00
SoCalJay290.50
maelfyn156.50
      03-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #17
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanjpalermo View Post
I put Isweep on my fronts only, and EBC Red in the rear (would have done EBC both but didn’t want to wait.) This picture is my front rim a month after my last wash. And probably close to 800 miles. It’s like 1/10th of the dust compared to stock pads. Zero squeal, and bites reasonably close to OEM. I agree they’re overpriced, but the thought of spending hours to detail my car, and then one trip to dinner and the wheels were covered in brown dust was just intolerable.
I know its not an apples to apples comparison due to 6 pistons vs 1 but how are the reds in the rear?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1321.50
      03-26-2023, 12:10 PM   #18
Jonathanjpalermo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat2m4 View Post
I know its not an apples to apples comparison due to 6 pistons vs 1 but how are the reds in the rear?

Thanks
Not really sure I’d be able to provide a clear response here. I can’t tell a difference in my day to day driving. But it’s the same results when it comes to no squeal and minimal dust. I don’t put my car through track conditions, so I can’t speak to aggressive breaking. But whenever I’ve had to slow myself down from high speeds, I’ve felt in control, similar to OEM.
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2023, 06:00 PM   #19
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Is it ok to do different brands in the front and rear? No safety issues with that?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 09:24 PM   #20
Anderson11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Is it ok to do different brands in the front and rear? No safety issues with that?
Does not matter. I just ordered EBC Reds for the rear wheels and will compare with the OEM pads up front. Have heard EBC Reds are not as low dust as advertised so this will be a low cost experiment. If there is a big difference with the rears I will go ahead and get EBC Reds for the front when they become available.
PipeM3196.00
      03-26-2023, 09:49 PM   #21
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson11 View Post
Does not matter. I just ordered EBC Reds for the rear wheels and will compare with the OEM pads up front. Have heard EBC Reds are not as low dust as advertised so this will be a low cost experiment. If there is a big difference with the rears I will go ahead and get EBC Reds for the front when they become available.
Cool. Fronts usually throw more dust anyway though from my Porsche experience (G80 arrives next month).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 04:01 AM   #22
Jonathanjpalermo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
No, there’s no issue with doing this. At least that’s what someone smarter than me said when I got them.
Appreciate 1