Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

07-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #89
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I don’t like springs. Full coilovers or leave as is. Springs just don’t ever feel right or look right, at least not to me.

Sorry for that pain OP, I’ve been there and had that terrible feeling of still seeing the gaping gap after investing time/money. Never mind the diminished handling/feel of the car.

Coilovers or nothing I say, I’ve learned my lesson.
Agree 100, I would've got the full KW coilovers but I don't see myself tracking the car more than 5 times a year currently. When warranty is near end and I can actually find tires, I will probably track more and get full coils.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17491.50
JTO245276.00
      07-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #90
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
Thanks!

Seattle is not out of the question. Could make a nice trip out of it and come out ahead.
Try call Achtuning, they will probably charge around $500 which is cheaper that that $1200. I will talk to my buddy who helped me and ask what he would charge. If you are on Facebook, look up Bavarian Automeister and tell him Ben referred you.
Appreciate 1
mattssi879.00
      07-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #91
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Since we're driving on the same roads/freeways ( Did a blast up and down the 55 this morning) I think that is probably the best approach.

I will be fascinated to MSS explanation on these settle over the course of 2 thousand miles, which could be my entire ownership based on history.
I have ripped the 55 in my racechipped g80 and its pretty solid so I cant wait for the MSS to compare.

And I concur, Im not going to get to 2k miles before this car goes byeeeeee
Really?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #92
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I just got a quote at my local European performance shop in Central Oregon - about $1200 for labor!! Apparently they follow BMW book for hours, but even at an inflated labor rate that would be 6 hours for an install.

Just crazy. If anyone can recommend a PNW quality installer, I'm all ears.
MarineRaider Look at how cheap I quoted you haha.
      07-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #93
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I installed my MSS kit today. I chose to drop the front a little and left the rear close to stock height. The ride is a little firm but it is still compliant and comfortable. Less dip on hard acceleration and braking. Overall very satisfied. I will adjust the height when I get my alignment done in a couple weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #94
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
I installed my MSS kit today. I chose to drop the front a little and left the rear close to stock height. The ride is a little firm but it is still compliant and comfortable. Less dip on hard acceleration and braking. Overall very satisfied. I will adjust the height when I get my alignment done in a couple weeks
This is exactly what I want to do, MZ. Pix please

And keep us posted on the ride quality please. The G8X already rides rather firm, so if it gets significantly stiffer, that may be an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #95
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
This is exactly what I want to do, MZ. Pix please

And keep us posted on the ride quality please. The G8X already rides rather firm, so if it gets significantly stiffer, that may be an issue for me.
You can feel the road more thru the steering wheel. More vibration which is not a bad thing. Less body roll on turns. I did not have a chance to drive it at high speed or thru the Canyon yet. Will post pics later
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #96
coreyjn7
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
I don't like springs. Full coilovers or leave as is. Springs just don't ever feel right or look right, at least not to me.

Sorry for that pain OP, I've been there and had that terrible feeling of still seeing the gaping gap after investing time/money. Never mind the diminished handling/feel of the car.

Coilovers or nothing I say, I've learned my lesson.
Its actually crazy people are happy with these kits, lowers the rear but the front still has at least a 10mm+ gap.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17491.50
      07-03-2021, 05:33 AM   #97
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyjn7 View Post
Quote:
I don't like springs. Full coilovers or leave as is. Springs just don't ever feel right or look right, at least not to me.

Sorry for that pain OP, I've been there and had that terrible feeling of still seeing the gaping gap after investing time/money. Never mind the diminished handling/feel of the car.

Its actually crazy people are happy with these kits, lowers the rear but the front still has at least a 10mm+ gap.
Not everyone wants the car slammed just for 'that' look. I want a subtle drop without losing the handling and ride quality of the OEM set up. Once the front settles as much as the Evolve car did I will be happy

The H&R kit looks like it lowers the car nicely out of the box but I've had bad experience with ride quality in the past with basic spring kits, crashy, bouncy ride etc

I've ran full coil overs in the past on track focussed cars and they're great but I don't want to spend 6 grand on a set up like that just yet for street driving a family car around the place so the MSS or KW HAS kits are a good in between solution for a lot of people, clearly there is a market, it's just not you.
Appreciate 2
mzcp2690.50
      07-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #98
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My unscientific observation after a quick drive today. The rear settled a little with less than a finger gap. The front is at two finger gaps. I will take measurements when I get my alignment done. Changing the chassis settings at Highway speed, the ride is still comfortable on Sport Plus. No bounce on Highway bumps.
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #99
coreyjn7
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not everyone wants the car slammed just for 'that' look. I want a subtle drop without losing the handling and ride quality of the OEM set up. Once the front settles as much as the Evolve car did I will be happy

The H&R kit looks like it lowers the car nicely out of the box but I've had bad experience with ride quality in the past with basic spring kits, crashy, bouncy ride etc

I've ran full coil overs in the past on track focussed cars and they're great but I don't want to spend 6 grand on a set up like that just yet for street driving a family car around the place so the MSS or KW HAS kits are a good in between solution for a lot of people, clearly there is a market, it's just not you.
So other that having an adjuster in the front, which everyone is setting at full low anyway and praying for settling, what is the difference between a H&R spring and an MSS front spring other than cost

A lot of the F80/M2C HAS kits are capable of lowering a car flat on top of the tyre and then you have the ability to adjust up

All the G80's i've seen on these kits have the rear lower than the front and no ability to change that unless you raise the rear to close to stock height or crossing your fingers and convincing yourself "it will settle"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #100
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So other that having an adjuster in the front, which everyone is setting at full low anyway and praying for settling, what is the difference between a H&R spring and an MSS front spring other than cost

A lot of the F80/M2C HAS kits are capable of lowering a car flat on top of the tyre and then you have the ability to adjust up

All the G80's i've seen on these kits have the rear lower than the front and no ability to change that unless you raise the rear to close to stock height or crossing your fingers and convincing yourself "it will settle"
The kit also replaces the spring seats and bump stops with different items in the front, but the main selling point for me was the rear set up where you actually have two springs - it's usually the back of the car that is bumpy and crashy with poor quality spring kits. This two part spring in the rear seems to help with that ride quality from what I can tell but I haven't fitted the kit yet

I agree the kit should have the option to go lower in the front and am interested to hear from MSS on why it takes so long to settle

As I said, I'm not looking for a massive drop anyway so once settled I think I'll be happy and didn't want basic springs which have been pretty awful in my experience in the past and wear out the shocks quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #101
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Not everyone wants their car slammed... people like barryc365. I wanted the kit to go lower but I will wait it out a bit before making final judgement, it is best not to jump to conclusions. Trust me, it it doesn't even settle to what they said it would, then people will know not to buy the kit and they will have to correct it.

I am not quite sure why you are wasting so much energy and time bashing a product you clearly do not like. Life is simple, you have a choice to pick H&R, KW or MSS, pick one and move on with your life? LOL

If you want to know the difference between the two, do some research. We aren't doing all the work for you.

Last edited by ///MeraldCity_G82; 07-03-2021 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
mzcp2690.50
      07-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #102
coreyjn7
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Quote:

Not everyone wants their car slammed like barry. I wanted the kit to go lower but I will wait it out a bit before making final judgement, it is best not to jump to conclusions. Trust me, it it doesn't even settle to what they said it would, then people will know not to buy the kit and they will have to correct it.

I am not quite sure why you are wasting so much energy and time bashing a product you clearly do not like. Life is simple, you have a choice to pick H&R, KW or MSS, pick one and move on with your life? LOL

If you want to know the difference between the two, do some research. We aren't doing all the work for you.
I'm not bashing the product I just stated the front doesn't go low enough, and as you've discovered it doesn't

There will be more than those 3 choices the H&R adjustable kit is coming in August and i'm sure there will be more to follow. Making the choice now is why there are so many reverse rake cars out there but someone had to take a bullet for the rest of us
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:35 PM   #103
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

I think we have all voiced concern/frustration that this isn't a kit you can install and adjust and have immediate and permanent results. I am skeptical that 2,000 miles are going to be the answer...in fact, that is flat out annoying as hell that it was even raised.

Evolve as the master distributer needs to revisit their marketing on YouTube and take into account real world results we are all getting. Pick another local M3 and install the kit, let us and the future buyers see the immediate drop and tell them to drive it...for 2k miles really fast and keep coming back and do follow ups or time-lapse.

I am going to raise mine up to near stock height, no problem. That front, well it continues to mystify.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #104
Rod_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Thank you my G. This helps me out a lot. So glad you took things into your hands. Can you post more pictures. How long did it take for the front to settle. We can be driving monster trucks around here. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #105
Rod_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Perfectly Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by luico1188 View Post
Order date: 6/9
Install date: 6/14
Install Time: 3.5 hours

Installation was very easy as-long as you have the right tools. I too was upset when I installed the MSS kit. The front sat way to high (maybe 2-3 fingers). It almost looked stock. The back looked damn good and perfect. This was with the lowest possible setting. I drove the car every day to see how it would settle and after 1k miles nothing really noticeable changed. I didn't measure. The ride quality is great and feels very close to stock but I couldn't keep the car looking like this so I took things into my own hands and here the best solution I've found.

-Remove MSS coil and use MSS spring only.

-Sit MSS spring upside down(compare to oem spring looks like upside up to me). Upside down would actually show the writing on the springs the correct way as when installing with coils the writing is actually upside down :

- remove MSS rubber seat and use OEM rubber seat

- use MSS bump stop

Voila, here's your result

Thank you my G. This helps me out a lot. So glad you took things into your hands. Can you post more pictures. How long did it take for the front to settle. We can be driving monster trucks around here. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #106
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not bashing the product I just stated the front doesn't go low enough, and as you've discovered it doesn't

There will be more than those 3 choices the H&R adjustable kit is coming in August and i'm sure there will be more to follow. Making the choice now is why there are so many reverse rake cars out there but someone had to take a bullet for the rest of us
There was always going to be lot's of offerings, it's a M3.

I cannot stand H&R's products, fine for a Z car or Mustang but their engineering ( lack there of) and quality...suck. I hate saying that about a local company but that has been my experience.

I have not given up hope yet of my MSS kit, raising the rear is fine to get my rake back but I am disappointed on the marketing and follow up to this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #107
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
I think we have all voiced concern/frustration that this isn't a kit you can install and adjust and have immediate and permanent results. I am skeptical that 2,000 miles are going to be the answer...in fact, that is flat out annoying as hell that it was even raised.

Evolve as the master distributer needs to revisit their marketing on YouTube and take into account real world results we are all getting. Pick another local M3 and install the kit, let us and the future buyers see the immediate drop and tell them to drive it...for 2k miles really fast and keep coming back and do follow ups or time-lapse.

I am going to raise mine up to near stock height, no problem. That front, well it continues to mystify.
I agree fully, 2000 miles is a lot for springs to settle, I have never heard of that ever. Imran did say that MSS is releasing a video explaining why? lol Wouldn't it take just a paragraph to accomplish that.

The other complain I now have is I am waiting for them to settle to do my alignment. I am pretty sure alignment is not that off from the install due to the process itself, but 2k is a lot to wait for an alignment. Or if I get the alignment now, I would have to get another if the springs settle after 2k
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #108
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
I agree fully, 2000 miles is a lot for springs to settle, I have never heard of that ever. Imran did say that MSS is releasing a video explaining why? lol Wouldn't it take just a paragraph to accomplish that.
Personally, I think MSS stole a page form the H&R playbook, cut corners and rushed this out. KW slowed theirs. This 2k miles seems to be some sort of salve pulled out of Marketing 101 to slow our roll to asking WTF.

When I read his reply that MSS was doing a video I am wondering are you going to try and say these are engineered with a unique/new material that is the Alpha for future products that require months of driving to fully settle and get aligned?

That makes ZERO cents. I have bought their CAI intakes ( EVOLVE) and loved them, now I am sort of glad no one would install the MSS kit on my RS3 and I went KW HAS.

We are all watching this thread, that is for sure.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2021, 08:54 PM   #109
luico1188
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_M3 View Post
Quote:
Order date: 6/9
Install date: 6/14
Install Time: 3.5 hours

Installation was very easy as-long as you have the right tools. I too was upset when I installed the MSS kit. The front sat way to high (maybe 2-3 fingers). It almost looked stock. The back looked damn good and perfect. This was with the lowest possible setting. I drove the car every day to see how it would settle and after 1k miles nothing really noticeable changed. I didn't measure. The ride quality is great and feels very close to stock but I couldn't keep the car looking like this so I took things into my own hands and here the best solution I've found.

-Remove MSS coil and use MSS spring only.

-Sit MSS spring upside down(compare to oem spring looks like upside up to me). Upside down would actually show the writing on the springs the correct way as when installing with coils the writing is actually upside down :

- remove MSS rubber seat and use OEM rubber seat

- use MSS bump stop

Voila, here's your result

Sucks that I had to for the price we paid but I'm at 2500 miles. I'll update pics tomorrow if the rain stops. Love the way she looks and drives though.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #110
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sucks that I had to for the price we paid but I'm at 2500 miles. I'll update pics tomorrow if the rain stops. Love the way she looks and drives though.

Did you measure the drop at 2000 miles? I am still hovering around 15mm up front.
Appreciate 0