Drives: Z3, E46, G80

CCBs require the 826 wheel, or bigger clearance. Can't use 825s
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #46
TVonthe80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 TV G80 50j

Been driving my CCBs in 30 degree weather and not having any issues stopping or squealing. The only time I’ve ever had issues on other CCBs is leaving a car wash. The first stop takes some more legwork but nothing scary.

If you’re not trying to set a fast lap out of your driveway you should be fine

Last edited by TVonthe80; 11-19-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #47
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

I took delivery of my 23 M3CX about 3 weeks ago. I am in North Idaho. I have driven in snow, rain, and down to 13 degrees and have noticed nothing negative. I was a little worried about it due to the weather we get up here but zero issues! I have not even heard them squeal yet. I have been thru the touchless carwash 3 times so far and the brakes were complete normal just after I pulled out of the parking lot.
Just my experience.
Appreciate 3
      11-25-2022, 11:48 PM   #48
xXMPowerXx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford, Lexi, Lambo's

CCB’s are a little noisy, but I absolutely friggin luv them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 04:38 AM   #49
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Carbon ceramics seem expensive, until you start factoring in the cost of pads and rotors for the iron setup, and start seeing people swapping the rear pads and sometimes rotors, at 12k miles. If you change just the rear brakes 3-4 times in 60k miles, you've already paid for the carbon ceramics. BMW also claims a 13kg (28.66lb) weight savings. So, that's something you also want to factor in.

Somewhere in there, you'd probably already replaced the front as well. All while the CCBs aren't even starting to wear down. You also get to skip the brake dust and surf through "Looking for pads that dust less," threads. Downside, KBB offers you $100 for CCBs on trade it. They're worthless for resale. I love mine, and Im still glad I spec'd them.

Appreciate 2
      09-09-2023, 09:48 PM   #50
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Carbon ceramics seem expensive, until you start factoring in the cost of pads and rotors for the iron setup, and start seeing people swapping the rear pads and sometimes rotors, at 12k miles. If you change just the rear brakes 3-4 times in 60k miles, you've already paid for the carbon ceramics. BMW also claims a 13kg (28.66lb) weight savings. So, that's something you also want to factor in.

Somewhere in there, you'd probably already replaced the front as well. All while the CCBs aren't even starting to wear down. You also get to skip the brake dust and surf through "Looking for pads that dust less," threads. Downside, KBB offers you $100 for CCBs on trade it. They're worthless for resale. I love mine, and Im still glad I spec'd them.
Which is why I am glad I picked up a nicely loaded and lightly used 2022 BMW M4 Comp coupe WITH CCBs on it and only 18k on the odometer. Probably original owner read this thread! LOL. In any event dealer did a service, changed oil, and gave me a clean set of new pads to go with my sale...and since its my 2nd car and don't aggressively track it...maybe weekend driving and an autocross I will happily look at likely NEVER seeing that $6-8k per axle replacement cost!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13475.00
      09-10-2023, 12:09 AM   #51
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Which is why I am glad I picked up a nicely loaded and lightly used 2022 BMW M4 Comp coupe WITH CCBs on it and only 18k on the odometer. Probably original owner read this thread! LOL. In any event dealer did a service, changed oil, and gave me a clean set of new pads to go with my sale...and since its my 2nd car and don't aggressively track it...maybe weekend driving and an autocross I will happily look at likely NEVER seeing that $6-8k per axle replacement cost!
That sounds like you got a good deal, for sure. And you’re right about the money. The rotors are like $4,300 each.

I just hope nothing happens to mine. It may just be easier to jump off a bridge if I catch a rock in the caliper and drag a groove in the rotor.

I got them nice and warm the other day, and man, when they’re hot, they stop on a dime, and give you 9 cents change.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #52
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I ordered my M3Cx with the CCB. Why? Off the top of my head:

1. Better for track - maybe I'm a fool but I would like to track my M3
2. Not as much dust. Kind of a silly reason.
3. Less rotational and unsprung mass. Slight better driving dynamics.
4. I've never had them before. The knowledge is worth something.
5. I can't not check that box.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #53
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
CCBs require the 826 wheel, or bigger clearance. Can't use 825s
Do the 829M winters clear the CCBs?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #54
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Below is an article we wrote on carbon ceramic brakes:

Are carbon ceramic brake discs better than iron?

We've replaced many, many carbon ceramic discs with iron alternatives on Porsches, Corvettes, Ferrari, Audi, Lambo, etc. Sometimes we do so with our 2-piece AP Racing J Hook Discs, and other times we do so with our complete AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits.

The primary benefit of carbon ceramic discs is lower unsprung weight. The secondary benefits are that they last a long time when driven on the street and they don't generate much brake dust. Iron discs remain far superior in terms of cost, feel, usable brake pad options, fade-resistance and durability under high-heat track conditions, superior wheel fitment, etc. In many cases our complete brake kits weigh roughly the same as an OEM carbon ceramic setup...nullifying the main advantage of carbon ceramic discs.

People who want bigger brakes typically fall into to main groups:

Group 1= Track users. They're looking for:
  • Pads and discs that will last longer, which lowers brake (and overall) cost per mile of track use
  • Increased brake fade resistance- brake pedal should feel the same on the last lap of the last track session as it did on the first lap of the first session. This ensures consistency of braking markers and lap times.
  • Ease of working on the brakes- easy to swap pads from street to track compounds and remove discs when necessary. Easy to bleed brake fluid.
  • Lots of brake pad options in a variety compounds for street and track
  • Elimination of pad knockback
  • Fit inside their chosen track wheels, which they want to be the smallest, lightest wheels possible with the most tire choices

Group 2= Cars and Coffee/Aesthetics- I'm lumping everyone in here who wants their car to look bad@ss (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!).
  • Want to fill their big wheels up as much as possible with brakes. Many times these wheels are larger than the wheels track drivers would choose
  • Often want an eye-catching caliper color
  • Don't want brake dust covering their calipers and wheels
  • Like a special slot or drilled hole on the brake disc to make it more visually pleasing.
  • Spend as little time as humanly possible working on the brakes, changing pads, bleeding them, etc.
  • Like the idea of having the most advanced technology or something derived from racing, but usually won't actually put the product to the test on a racetrack.

Carbon Ceramic brakes are a poor choice for anyone in Group 1. They don't offer any real advantages for the track other than weight reduction, and that is largely or completely nullified by a properly designed aftermarket brake kit that is using lightweight racing calipers. On top of not offering advantages, carbon ceramic tends to cost a lot more while severely limiting track wheel and tire options.

Carbon Ceramic brakes are a good choice for people in Group 2. They work well for many people on the street, where they don't see enough heat to make them oxidize. They fill up large aftermarket wheels and typically have special color calipers that set them apart from the less expensive factory options.

While we haven't yet made a video comparing our systems to the OEM BMW equipment, we've done so vs. the brakes that come from the factory on Porsche GT cars (which are very similar OEM brakes on the G8x platform). The great thing about our AP Racing by Essex systems is that they can do everything carbon ceramic can do on and off track, while also looking cool and saving the owner a bundle of money.

Our kits for the G8x can be seen in the link below...our rear kits which maintain full parking brake functionality will be dropping very, very soon!
https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...pound%20Brakes)

Here's a link that looks at the weights of our front components vs. the OEM G8x (we save close to 20 unsprung lbs. over the OEM iron system): https://www.essexparts.com/now-shipp...he-bmw-g80-g82

Appreciate 1
3some!15.00