BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

01-12-2024, 11:05 AM   #1
F1MiamiGuy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 6MT (G80)

Had to plug it, but needs to be replaced….

Owned the car for about a week and of course Karma got me. Screw goes through the tire and it’s on the outside edge of the thread. Looks like it needs to be replaced. Sucks to have to buy a new one at 4K miles. The things we do for the cars we love.

I declined the tire package because my plan was to upgrade my wheels sooner than later, but here I am.

I’m also the second owner of the car and picked it up with 2500 miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
It's just a tire bud
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

At least you don’t have AWD which might have required the replacement of two tires depending on the wear of the patched tire relative to new.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
F1MiamiGuy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
It's just a tire bud

Totally agree. Just annoyed 😂
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 08:00 AM   #5
F1MiamiGuy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
At least you don’t have AWD which might have required the replacement of two tires depending on the wear of the patched tire relative to new.
Tires only had 4K miles so really not much. Phew on the AWD. I love my oversteer so much. All my cars have been RWD and 6MT. Except my Infiniti RS400
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:48 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1MiamiGuy View Post
Tires only had 4K miles so really not much. Phew on the AWD. I love my oversteer so much. All my cars have been RWD and 6MT. Except my Infiniti RS400
Depending on how you drive, 4k miles could be 50% wear on the tread blocks

Except for my wife’s M240ix, all of our cars have been RWD but a mixture of DCT and MT. I’ll admit it, I love the DCT especially when it’s paired to a s65!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 10:44 AM   #7
F1MiamiGuy
Rep

Quote:
Depending on how you drive, 4k miles could be 50% wear on the tread blocks

Except for my wife’s M240ix, all of our cars have been RWD but a mixture of DCT and MT. I’ll admit it, I love the DCT especially when it’s paired to a s65!
When you drift every turn I can see that 😂 I know the DCT is faster shifting but I absolutely love a manual. Also, it’s a great theft deterrent i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 10:57 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
When you drift every turn I can see that 😂 I know the DCT is faster shifting but I absolutely love a manual. Also, it’s a great theft deterrent i
Sadly it is an awesome theft deterrent. Explains why Hellcats, Redeyes, etc. are so frequently, and easily, stolen.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #9
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Funny story... Yesterday I decided to take the M4 out, and with the cold weather that just happened upon us the tires were low. Instead of getting my compressor out, I decided to to run by Discount Tire and get them filled. The Discount by my house was PACKED!!! So, I thought eh, I'll head over to the dealership and have them filled... same thing, PACKED. Not too far from there is another discount so I headed that way. Got there and the mgr gave me an attitude because they were closing up, so I said Fuck it, I'll run to the the corner station and fill them since I'm already out on the road. $2 to add air to the tires...

Here's the irony, I saw a 2" construction screw laying about a foot from my front tire, and I though to myself, I sure hope there aren't more screws around the parking lot. I did a quick sweep, saw nothing... That's because it found its way into my rear tire tread block!! All that trouble I went to to "save" myself time on dragging the compressor out and it'll cost me the $2 plus a new tire for a total of around $500. Good times.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 12:21 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
Funny story... Yesterday I decided to take the M4 out, and with the cold weather that just happened upon us the tires were low. Instead of getting my compressor out, I decided to to run by Discount Tire and get them filled. The Discount by my house was PACKED!!! So, I thought eh, I'll head over to the dealership and have them filled... same thing, PACKED. Not too far from there is another discount so I headed that way. Got there and the mgr gave me an attitude because they were closing up, so I said Fuck it, I'll run to the the corner station and fill them since I'm already out on the road. $2 to add air to the tires...

Here's the irony, I saw a 2" construction screw laying about a foot from my front tire, and I though to myself, I sure hope there aren't more screws around the parking lot. I did a quick sweep, saw nothing... That's because it found its way into my rear tire tread block!! All that trouble I went to to "save" myself time on dragging the compressor out and it'll cost me the $2 plus a new tire for a total of around $500. Good times.
My wife was driving her 240ix and suddenly got tpms warning with 20 psi in front left tire pressure and then about 10 sec later another tpms warning with only 11 psi in front left tire. Pulled off the road and found an ENTIRE car key sticking out of the tire! How the hell did an entire car key puncture a tire? Had car flat bedded home and put the winter tires on the car. I’ve never heard of a key puncturing a tire before. I’m still trying to picture how it happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:04 PM   #11
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Totally agree. Just annoyed 😂
I got a screw in my tire at 1000km after delivery. Just replaced the whole tire. Was kind of annoyed then realized that I was going to be going through a set every few track sessions anyway. Tires are the least of your worries when it comes to maintenance costs on an M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 09:46 AM   #12
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
This story is why I have a battery-powered compressor in the trunk of every car.

Appreciate 1
10SecGG504.00
      01-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #13
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Quote:
My wife was driving her 240ix and suddenly got tpms warning with 20 psi in front left tire pressure and then about 10 sec later another tpms warning with only 11 psi in front left tire. Pulled off the road and found an ENTIRE car key sticking out of the tire! How the hell did an entire car key puncture a tire? Had car flat bedded home and put the winter tires on the car. I’ve never heard of a key puncturing a tire before. I’m still trying to picture how it happened.
What kinda car key was it? I'm surprised it was kicked up and found its way into the tire... crazy story!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 03:15 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What kinda car key was it? I'm surprised it was kicked up and found its way into the tire... crazy story!!
Not sure but it was big. Still can’t picture how half of the key was stuck in the tire it actually happened where a police offer was setup with radar. He made a u-turn and pulled behind her. Called a flatbed for her and spent the next 1.5 hrs keeping her company. Great police officer! Here’s a pic of my wife holding it:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:41 PM   #15
F1MiamiGuy
Rep

Quote:
Not sure but it was big. Still can’t picture how half of the key was stuck in the tire it actually happened where a police offer was setup with radar. He made a u-turn and pulled behind her. Called a flatbed for her and spent the next 1.5 hrs keeping her company. Great police officer! Here’s a pic of my wife holding it:
That’s Nuts! A KEY???

Now I don’t feel so bad. Had the tire replaced last Saturday. Back to regularly scheduled driving. Love these M cars. So damn fun.
Appreciate 0