Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

10-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #23
G80JL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp2pilot View Post
Curious to hear your results. I was looking at the same kit a while back but I didn't order it.

Are you xDrive or RWD?
So I got the spare for my G80. Exactly what I was looking for. Perfect fit and now I have no worries while on the road. No regrets.
Appreciate 1
Sp2pilot168.50
      11-01-2023, 10:15 AM   #24
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80JL View Post
Yes, better safe than sorry. I just ordered a spare from modern tires.
+1 ($573.25 complete kit shipped)

Just had a flat with my 1 month old M4 Comp X-Drive and panicked when I realized I didn't have a spare or a jack. Fortunately the screw I picked up sealed until I got home thanks to the included air pump. Ended up replacing the tire because the hole was too close to the sidewall ($400). This car is getting expensive quickly. Just spent $550 for a new battery charger for the Lithium Ion battery.

Last edited by turbojg; 11-01-2023 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:39 PM   #25
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Modern Spare Possible Issue

I was also looking at the Modern Spare for my XDrive M3. I noticed that the tire diameter works out to 25.9", whereas the OEM tires are 26.7", which is a 3% difference.

From what I've read about cars with XDrive, the best practice is to match tire rolling diameter to be <=1% in order to prevent damage to the differentials and other issues.

Would anyone else be concerned about this? I also emailed them about this, we'll see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:39 AM   #26
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@Motorwerks View Post
I was also looking at the Modern Spare for my XDrive M3. I noticed that the tire diameter works out to 25.9", whereas the OEM tires are 26.7", which is a 3% difference.

From what I've read about cars with XDrive, the best practice is to match tire rolling diameter to be <=1% in order to prevent damage to the differentials and other issues.

Would anyone else be concerned about this? I also emailed them about this, we'll see what they come back with.
I think it depends on how far you intend on driving with the spare. I drove ~ 75 miles with this mini spare.

I got the full size front as a spare for my M3x b/c even in the rear position, the diameter is close enough that I could drive 1000 miles and be ok.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0