home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-10-2024, 12:42 PM   #1
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Make the S58 NOT sound like a clapped out '95 Accord?

I did my research, for weeks, listened to every YouTube video available, got as much feedback as I could on this forum, then pulled the trigger:

- Supersprint catless downpipes
- Supersprint catted single midpipe (j-pipe)
- Stock muffler assembly

It sounded okay to me at first, but I made the mistake of rolling the windows down and flooring in in Sport+ flaps "open." I literally busted out in laughter at myself and the fact that I spent $6K to make my car sound like a turbocharged tin can. It is so tinny and raspy that it sounds like the cars I used to make fun of as a kid. Now that car is me.

Does anyone know how to make these cars NOT sound like s*^%, or is the S58 just beyond redemption?

P.S. I have completely disabled ASD, so that is probably a contributing factor–I don't have any fake exhaust sound to drown out the actual completely terrible sound the car is making outside.
Appreciate 3
      02-10-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremmell View Post
Does anyone know how to make these cars NOT sound like s*^%, or is the S58 just beyond redemption?
Single turbo

Catted midpipe? You mean resonated?
Don't think the downpipes help in your situation.
Appreciate 1
aremmell123.50
      02-10-2024, 12:55 PM   #3
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Single turbo

Don't think the downpipes help in your situation.
No I mean catted. I went that direction because Supersprint downpipes w/ cats are over $6K by themselves, and that is what Supersprint recommended to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:01 PM   #4
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
I got part #527732 from this page.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Interesting, haven't seen those before.
Not sure what to tell you here, majority of exhaust basically sound the same, no one is really prioritizing sound quality. Seems you need to mix/disrupt the exhaust flow from the two turbos at the right spot, this usually takes time and money which most shops don't have.
There was one exhaust that had a unique sound, but only a few people have it and its not made anymore. https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1975034

Last edited by forcefed; 02-10-2024 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I'm going to turn ASD back on and live in blissful ignorance of what is really going on then.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:19 PM   #7
IDKBRO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Garage List
2022 TESLA SLR  [5.25]
2022 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
I did my research, for weeks, listened to every YouTube video available, got as much feedback as I could on this forum, then pulled the trigger:

- Stock muffler assembly

It sounded okay to me at first, but I made the mistake of rolling the windows down and flooring in in Sport+ flaps "open." I literally busted out in laughter at myself and the fact that I spent $6K to make my car sound like a turbocharged tin can. It is so tinny and raspy that it sounds like the cars I used to make fun of as a kid. Now that car is me.

P.S. I have completely disabled ASD, so that is probably a contributing factor–I don't have any fake exhaust sound to drown out the actual completely terrible sound the car is making outside.

R44 full titanium with flaps open sounds incredible - not raspy or tin canny.
It produces a very exotic tone.
I’d say second in line to the throne is AWE stainless switchpath and maybe IPE.

But yea , I always laughed at the Frankenstein pipe mods. It truly does sound horrendous but everyone has different ears.

I don’t know for a fact but I suspect that legit CATTED downpipes will truly make titanium exhausts sound even more incredible.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 02:18 PM   #8
aremmell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKBRO View Post
R44 full titanium with flaps open sounds incredible - not raspy or tin canny.
It produces a very exotic tone.
I’d say second in line to the throne is AWE stainless switchpath and maybe IPE.

But yea , I always laughed at the Frankenstein pipe mods. It truly does sound horrendous but everyone has different ears.

I don’t know for a fact but I suspect that legit CATTED downpipes will truly make titanium exhausts sound even more incredible.
Well, it's a little late for me. I could try to sell my stuff on these forums, but that would mean 1.) admitting defeat, and 2.) redoing all the work me and my friends did.

I am contemplating getting the Supersprint muffler assembly. It can't get any worse than it is, but it can get better...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 02:34 PM   #9
IDKBRO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Garage List
2022 TESLA SLR  [5.25]
2022 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Well, it's a little late for me. I could try to sell my stuff on these forums, but that would mean 1.) admitting defeat, and 2.) redoing all the work me and my friends did.

I am contemplating getting the Supersprint muffler assembly. It can't get any worse than it is, but it can get better...
Change the muffler , replace catless with catted and I think you’ll be on the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 02:43 PM   #10
jamabdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 xDrive

I understand what you mean. I recently installed a Valvetronic Equal-Length Midpipe paired with an Akrapovic Slip-on. While there's been a noticeable improvement in sound, I'm still not entirely satisfied. My ideal exhaust tone would be similar to that of the single turbo S58s.

The closest I've seen someone get to that sound is a British youtuber who made an "equal-length" 2-1 custom downpipe for their S55. By far the best sounding setup while still retaining the factory twin-turbos. If someone were to develop a similar downpipe for the S58, I believe the results would be quite similar.

Appreciate 2
forcefed2567.00
aremmell123.50
      02-10-2024, 03:11 PM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

You should have left the downpipes alone. Go back to stock there.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 03:27 PM   #12
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

If you wanted a good sounding car, you bought the wrong Car bud. Nothing is going to make it sound “ good”. These are better then the S55’s but not worlds better.
Appreciate 4
      02-10-2024, 09:37 PM   #13
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Sound is always subjective, but there are steps to take to get the S58 to sound decent/good/better. Before I begin, I should note I've invested a heavy amount of time/money in the sound category for the G8X. If you take the following post in steps and in order, you'll have spent the least amount in terms of swapping parts and labour in doing so, and should get the ideal sound.

First off, start off with a valve controller. You can snag a fancy pants one like AWRON or dÄHLer, or you can get an inexpensive one that gets the job done. Either way, you need to ensure that you're hearing valves fully open or fully closed, or maybe 50% if that's what you prefer. Regardless, the car will refuse to open the valves 100% without a valve controller unless at 100% load and under certain RPM.

Next, figure out your downpipes situation. Downpipes can be cheap, especially from MAD, and they can be taken on and off pretty easily so you can swap based off your needs after experimenting. Completely catless downpipes will be loud and raspy, will flow best, and are best for big power builds. Catted downpipes will tame both the volume and rasp depending on how many cells (100-400). Resonated downpipes will retain volume of catless downpipes for the most part, but will lower the rasp. Catted dp's may throw a check engine light, and anything catless will definitely do that. The only downpipes out there that will guaranteed not throw a CEL are GESI cats from AA, but they're expensive as hell and are 400 cell so they're not going to increase the volume that much.

Next: midpipe. After you've got a valve controller and downpipes that suit your needs, you need to choose midpipes. Many are happy with normal single midpipes and many are happy with x-pipes, but I personally feel the best sound comes from AA's equal length midpipe and Valvetronic's equal length single midpipe. Both provide a smoother sound and eliminate, for the most part, the farty nature of the S58. Choose the AA if you want a raunchier sound that's louder, or choose the VT midpipe if you want a deeper rumble that isn't as screamy/raunchy.

Lastly - the back box/muffler/axle back. I am an absolute believer in the OEM axle back. With catless dp's and completely resonator free midpipes, the OEM axle back is able to tame the G8X down significantly and make it sound near stock-like with the valves closed. But with valve open - it's a monster. However, if you've opted to keep your downpipes stock, you get to choose an axle back that suits your needs. However, axle backs are significantly more money and are more for vanity's sake than anything else. Axle backs like Remus' Race, or Eisenmann's Race, are loud and will compensate for catted downpipes to a certain degree. Remus' Sport, R44, VT, etc. sport axle backs are more tame and may provide some volume over the stock axle back, but it won't vastly change the sound at all. The way the car sounds primarily comes from your midpipes, and how loud it is is hinged upon your downpipes/axle back situation.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I actually prefer the sound of my car without my Meisterschaft GT axle back and with the OEM axle back. However, it looks too pretty and I can't find someone to give me a free OEM axle back since I threw mine away IMHO, the best setup is catless resonated downpipes -> AA/VT equal length midpipe -> OEM axle back painted black to hide ugliness, alongside some sort of valve controller. Cost effective, relatively simple, very tame when driving around town and not trying to attract attention, but holy shit loud with valves open and your foot down.

If the above exhaust combo just isn't good enough for your ears, then just do what I'm doing in a week or two - single turbo
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 7
      02-11-2024, 09:15 AM   #14
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

I used to work at a recording studio and rule of thumb is no matter what you are not going to make Pink sound like Usher. Doesn’t matter what you do to the EQ. Whatever output is happening can only be enhanced or reduced. There is no changing the voice.

An exhaust is like an EQ. It can bring up certain frequencies and reduce others. This all depends on the tuning of the system as well as the material.

Long story short this car will never sound like a cammed Camaro or a Lamb SVJ
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2024, 06:27 PM   #15
albion991
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850i (Sold) 2022 BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3   [0.00]
Personally, I run Evolution Racewerks catless DPs and everything else untouched. I love the sound but the cabin is pretty insulated. Blessing and a curse. It's def loud, but you can only truly appreciate it with the windows down all the way.

I've been on the fence about doing anymore exhaust work, however I am team x-pipe. It doesn't sound that good on camera, but it sounds amazing in person. I like the raw sound as opposed to a glorified trumpet. I would 100% run the AA Goliath if my G80 was solely a weekend car.

I think I just convinced myself to get the AA signature mid x pipe...darn

Side note: I also hold the stock rear box sacred. Anything else and it turns it into a civic.

Last edited by albion991; 02-11-2024 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
viciousmo310.50
      02-11-2024, 07:16 PM   #16
Impulse20098
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xdrive

Single turbo.... problem solved. End of discussion.

2022 - M3 xDrive Frozen Brilliant Metallic White
Appreciate 5
aremmell123.50
Hendo741645.00
AhsanU3829.50
Abacus38237.50
      02-12-2024, 07:53 AM   #17
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Like others have said, it's never going to be a great sounding car unless you go to a single turbo setup. I've got a Valvetronic midpipe in mine and it definitely helps, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my N55 M2. Even with just a downpipe that car sounded incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:31 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

In my opinion, catted downpipes with resonated single midpipe and a decent axle back get the job done.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2196.00
      02-13-2024, 03:36 AM   #19
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:

- Stock muffler assembly

You might want to try just the downpipes with the stock mid pipe and stock axle back. That has a great tone and the stock mids and axle back can support a ton of power. (Guys are in the 9s on the completely stock exhaust)

It’s easy enough to try if you still have your stock mid pipe and a very cheap experiment. (Just a couple of factory BMW exhaust clamps to connect the factory mid pipe back to the stock axle back)
      02-13-2024, 07:22 AM   #20
static_void
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Competition xDrive

I might be biased but I think my setup is about as good as it gets without going the single turbo route.
  1. Active Autowerke GESi catted downpipes
  2. Active Autowerke equal length midpipe
  3. AWE Track Edition axleback

Bunch of clips of the setup here:

Some more on my IG if you feel like digging through there as well:

https://www.instagram.com/fl_g80/
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2024, 10:46 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_void View Post
I might be biased but I think my setup is about as good as it gets without going the single turbo route.
  1. Active Autowerke GESi catted downpipes
  2. Active Autowerke equal length midpipe
  3. AWE Track Edition axleback
Nice setup

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 12:38 PM   #22
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

MAD 200 cell downpipes- https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s58-catte...-flex-section/
MAD Resonated Midpipe - https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-g8x-m3-m4...race-included/

Total $1500

From there you can either keep the stock Exhaust or throw on our axle back muffler.

Axle Back - https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-m3-m4-g8x...-back-exhaust/

Add on $1350
Appreciate 0