Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 CSL

The Ultimate G8X Steering Wheel - KMP 10button Quick release | BMW M4 CSL

Let's jump right into it....

I have been asked so many times
"Why did you select this steering wheel over others in the market"

Please see all the things I took into consideration below
I am very particular with my builds
Only the highest quality items will be used.

With the proven history from KMP, it was an easy choice for me to go with KMP for my BMW CSL.

Vehicle: 2023 BMW M4 CSL in Apline White

KMP has its roots in Motorsport.
Race proven Top Tier Product
They've manufactured racing wheels since 2013.
They develop high-end and innovative drivetrain products etc
The steering wheels are used by many professional racing teams.
This is one of the reasons I have chosen KMP.

I was able to fully customize/set up my Steering wheel which I enjoyed doing.
I choose a 10 button design (4,6,10 button options available)
I choose a leather wrapped steering wheel (Wheel options range from Suede, Alacantara or Leather)
I choose a red 12 o'clock stripe

They have a super quick release system (Manufactured & designed by KMP) Link: https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/produc...quick-release/

Takeaways:
-Self centering quick release (unique design)
-Great customer experience
-Easy DIY installation | Fully Plug & Play
-Push buttons with great force/travel ratio - Amazing Feel
-Quality materials | Paddles are firm and feel/look/sound great.

Choosing between designs is a matter of personal taste.
Some prefer sim racing looks with many lights, some prefer a more motorsport look.

KMP is continuously innovating with motorsport as the main goal.
I've heard about some upcoming developments which are pretty exciting.

At the moment there are multiple companies which are launching OEM racing wheels (JQ Werks, Zestek, M-track). Different styles, different philosophies, different qualities. Lots of Marketing driving these brands.

With the proven history from KMP, it was an easy choice for me to go for KMP. Also, I like the idea that KMP manufactures everything in-house.

Highlighting others I looked into

Speaking openly I did compare this to JQ Werks
I wanted the JQ werks at one point
I had to rely on market feedback & personal experiences.

They have a very nice/new to market item - Very well marketed.

Putting them side by side with the information I had available - I choose KMP
Proven Quality is #1 for me | KMP has perfected the design/capabilities since 2013.
Ensuring Paddles feel great & not like a "Mouse click button" is important to me - I always drive in Manual Mode - I rcv'd feedback other paddles on the market can feel clicky. Not my cup of tea.

KMP's paddles are top quality/epic shifts every time.
No one would ever complain about them.

I appreciate the backlit design JQ Werks offers - I was concerned the light lamination would not match other interior lights in the vehicle. My OCD would not allow for any variance.

I personally prefer the KMP Buttons & Carbon backplate vs the chunkier looking JQ Werks panel.
To each their own just my honest feedback.

I worry that overtime the JQ werks buttons may fade. Not sure if they will - I am just making the assumption.

KMP's buttons are sturdy/feel great & can be re-colour coded easily if needed.
I am extremely happy with my decision
I know anyone taking my advice would be equally as satisfied
I hope you've enjoyed my review.

More pictures at Yasplz_CSL on instagram
Attached Images

Last edited by YasPlz_CSL; 11-10-2023 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

KMP has a longer presence in Motorsports, but are you just basing the comparisons on speculation? I believe StudioRSR and perhaps EAS are the only shops with access to JQ Werk's G8x steering wheel prototype.

I was on the fence between KMP and JQ Werks, but decided to hop on a pre-order with StudioRSR instead.

Fortunately, my car is 6MT, so no concerns with how the paddle clicks feel.
Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8215.00
      11-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
KMP has a longer presence in Motorsports, but are you just basing the comparisons on speculation? I believe StudioRSR and perhaps EAS are the only shops with access to JQ Werk's G8x steering wheel prototype.

I was on the fence between KMP and JQ Werks, but decided to hop on a pre-order with StudioRSR instead.

Fortunately, my car is 6MT, so no concerns with how the paddle clicks feel.
Lots of companies will have access to JQ werks from my understanding.... There are several brands already replicating that design as noted in my review that are available in the market now for G8X platforms - No pre-orders needed.

The photo's are from my KMP wheel installed on my M4 CSL so the feedback is actual. It's 1000% epic!

Regarding the other wheel(s) - It's based on feedback/research I was able to gather from others who have tried the wheel - tried the paddles - tried the design & technology.

I know I'm the most satisfied with the KMP design/tech.
Its simply epic and proven to work....
      11-06-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasPlz_CSL View Post
Lots of companies will have access to JQ werks from my understanding.... There are several brands already replicating that design as noted in my review that are available in the market now for G8X platforms - No pre-orders needed.

The photo's are from my KMP wheel installed on my M4 CSL so the feedback is actual. It's 1000% epic!

Regarding the other wheel(s) - It's based on feedback/research I was able to gather from others who have tried the wheel - tried the paddles - tried the design & technology.

Definitely not denying KMP's quality, but this review may be better off without mentioning JQ Werks at all since the comparisons are indirect.

I have no loyalty with either brand, but was just surprised to see a G8x steering wheel comparison between an In-Production unit versus one that's still in the prototype stage with limited availability.
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8215.00
YasPlz_CSL2428.50
      11-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

The JQwerks Steering Wheel for the G8X platform hasn't been released yet (other than a few track cars and SEMA display vehicles), but should be as soon as everyone returns and mentally unpacks from SEMA.

There are a number of resellers for the JQWerkz/Madtrace wheels but you won't get much technical info, just pre-sales or product availability-related questions since few of them have complete understanding of how CAN/LIN systems work, as this is our area.

Hopefully you're able to get some actual hands-time with the JQWerks wheel at a meet or track event in the upcoming months to do a true comparison, keeping an open mind. The KMP wheels are solid and we've sold them for years, but trust me - a lot of the Madtrace features haven't even been discussed and the surface hasn't even been scratched yet on what tricks it can do.

We'll announce everything in a new thread when the time is right, as not to spoil this one.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
YasPlz_CSL2428.50
      11-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #6
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Definitely not denying KMP's quality, but this review may be better off without mentioning JQ Werks at all since the comparisons are indirect.

I have no loyalty with either brand, but was just surprised to see a G8x steering wheel comparison between an In-Production unit versus one that's still in the prototype stage with limited availability.

I have been asked several times in the past 3-4 days why I choose KMP over JQ werks.

I thought why not share my thought process with the forums.

But what do you mean about a prototype?
The JQ wheel is already for sale for F8X Platforms
It will not be any different then G8X vs programming etc - Same thing... So it's not me slamming a prototype by any means.
      11-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

What is the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The JQwerks Steering Wheel for the G8X platform hasn't been released yet (other than a few track cars and SEMA display vehicles), but should be as soon as everyone returns and mentally unpacks from SEMA.

There are a number of resellers for the JQWerkz/Madtrace wheels but you won't get much technical info, just pre-sales or product availability-related questions since few of them have complete understanding of how CAN/LIN systems work, as this is our area.

Hopefully you're able to get some actual hands-time with the JQWerks wheel at a meet or track event in the upcoming months to do a true comparison, keeping an open mind. The KMP wheels are solid and we've sold them for years, but trust me - a lot of the Madtrace features haven't even been discussed and the surface hasn't even been scratched yet on what tricks it can do.

We'll announce everything in a new thread when the time is right, as not to spoil this one.
Totally appreciate your reply - Thanks for taking the time
The forums are all about learning from each other
This is why I thought my review would be helpful to others.

Race Proven Quality is #1 for me | KMP has perfected the design/capabilities since 2013. This also lead me to KMP.

As you eluted too many things will change overtime as others develop items and push the limits. KMP's future developments from what I've seen are going to be epic!

Re: G8X prototype - Lets not forget JQ Werks F8X wheels are landing all over the world. The Tech/Design/Style are identical to G8X are they not ? - Programming being the difference from my understanding etc. The basic design and functions are the same - Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way as I mentioned it will come down to personal preference.
I know personally you can not go wrong with KMP and I am confident anyone that buys a KMP Wheel will be overly satisfied with their purchase. They are & will be the leaders in this market for the years to come but healthy competition from others is much needed.
      11-06-2023, 04:11 PM   #8
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Totally appreciate your reply - Thanks for taking the time
The forums are all about learning from each other
This is why I thought my review would be helpful to others.

Race Proven Quality is #1 for me | KMP has perfected the design/capabilities since 2013. This also lead me to KMP.

As you eluted too many things will change overtime as others develop items and push the limits. KMP's future developments from what I've seen are going to be epic!

Re: G8X prototype - Lets not forget JQ Werks F8X wheels are landing all over the world. The Tech/Design/Style are identical to G8X are they not ? - Programming being the difference from my understanding etc. The basic design and functions are the same - Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way as I mentioned it will come down to personal preference.
I know personally you can not go wrong with KMP and I am confident anyone that buys a KMP Wheel will be overly satisfied with their purchase. They are & will be the leaders in this market for the years to come but healthy competition from others is much needed.
Basic design as a steering wheel still being round and push buttons initiating commands, yes.

Unfortunately, any additional details or features in this thread I feel will just fall on deaf ears as this thread is essentially a KMP commercial to justify your recent purchase. Nothing wrong with that, just calling it as I see it.

People always want the latest and greatest. KMP makes a good interface, we've sold and installed them for almost 10 years. However, it's refreshing to see something new with innovative features on the horizon, so we'll be offering the Madtrace/JQwerks brand right alongside with them. Let the customer decide.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
YasPlz_CSL2428.50
Needsdecaf6600.50
      11-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #9
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Basic design as a steering wheel still being round and push buttons initiating commands, yes.

Unfortunately, any additional details or features in this thread I feel will just fall on deaf ears as this thread is essentially a KMP commercial to justify your recent purchase. Nothing wrong with that, just calling it as I see it.

People always want the latest and greatest. KMP makes a good interface, we've sold and installed them for almost 10 years. However, it's refreshing to see something new with innovative features on the horizon, so we'll be offering the Madtrace/JQwerks brand right alongside with them. Let the customer decide.
Tom - I appreciate your replies. Honestly your like a legend on these forums and I've learned a lot from you so I appreciate your insight.

Competition is healthy - The end user benefits from it.

I didn't want to make it seem like I'm hating on JQ Werks
As I mentioned I was on the short list to be one of the first to get their G8X wheel but as I looked at what I truly wanted personally - I went with KMP.

I did call out a few nice features JQ Werks offers - They have some newness.

As much as you mention this being a KMP Commercial I appreciate that - I do own their wheel & I'm loving it.

To be noted - JQ Werks has done a superb job to marketing their new concept - I've seen it everywhere.
tom @ eas8215.00
      11-07-2023, 01:29 AM   #10
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I clicked on the thread fairly confused as I know I'm slated to receive a jqwerks MadTrace steering wheel hub from their first production batch which should be at the end of this month ~ December through StudioRSR.. how on earth did you receive it outside of one of the SEMA cars? Of course, reading on did quell any queries.

Not to completely echo Tom's post, but you cannot feasibly and viably compare one product to another without having experience with both. It's akin to me trying to compare my G80 M3 to a new C63S AMG - I have not driven the new C63S to compare it fairly. Feel free to spectulate, but beyond that - any input on this matter is further weakened by choice supportive bias; you cannot expect anyone to be swayed by your opinions/feelings if they know that you paid for one of them and thus are more biased towards it. This rationale is the same reason why car journalists should never review cars they own.

Alternative and more accurate thread title: "I bought the KMP steering wheel, here are my thoughts". I hope the reasons for it are apparent and require no further explanation.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:23 AM   #11
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I clicked on the thread fairly confused as I know I'm slated to receive a jqwerks MadTrace steering wheel hub from their first production batch which should be at the end of this month ~ December through StudioRSR.. how on earth did you receive it outside of one of the SEMA cars? Of course, reading on did quell any queries.

Not to completely echo Tom's post, but you cannot feasibly and viably compare one product to another without having experience with both. It's akin to me trying to compare my G80 M3 to a new C63S AMG - I have not driven the new C63S to compare it fairly. Feel free to spectulate, but beyond that - any input on this matter is further weakened by choice supportive bias; you cannot expect anyone to be swayed by your opinions/feelings if they know that you paid for one of them and thus are more biased towards it. This rationale is the same reason why car journalists should never review cars they own.

Alternative and more accurate thread title: "I bought the KMP steering wheel, here are my thoughts". I hope the reasons for it are apparent and require no further explanation.

Ya'll make it seem like your on the list to order something revolutionary that has never been done before but yet there is someone that's mastered the art..

I was at the top of this "List" - did my research & wrote my "Review"

Question for ya:
What is the difference between the F8X wheel that's been launched months ago to the G8X wheel
Same design/style/features just different programming needed for the G8X?

Lots of great marketing on the JQ Werks wheel & I hope you enjoy it.

As I mentioned I did my homework/asked questions and took everything into consideration....
Hence I'm extremely happy with the end result
      11-07-2023, 07:45 AM   #12
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

I think stock looks better and has an air bag, so I don't get the point of this unless you are using the car solely for track purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 07:46 AM   #13
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

I have had my KMP steering wheel for almost a year and I love it. No complaints.
I also love your builds and follow your stuff but this “comparison” you did is wrong and not fair to JQ Werks.
You’re going of assumptions and trashing a product you didn’t try or have access to no matter how similar it ends up being to the F8X version.
Either disclose if this is a sponsorship or change it into a review of KMP itself which would have been much better.
To me it just doesn’t look good.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #14
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
I have had my KMP steering wheel for almost a year and I love it. No complaints.
I also love your builds and follow your stuff but this “comparison” you did is wrong and not fair to JQ Werks.
You’re going of assumptions and trashing a product you didn’t try or have access to no matter how similar it ends up being to the F8X version.
Either disclose if this is a sponsorship or change it into a review of KMP itself which would have been much better.
To me it just doesn’t look good.
I think its a fair and honest review of my thoughts along the process.
Not everyone needs to agree and I actually called out some great features JQ offers. I think its great to have healthy competition in the market and I've mentioned this several times as well throughout the thread.

Instead of answering 30 DM's I thought I would write a thread to help others understand my process of picking my steering wheel.
      11-07-2023, 08:37 AM   #15
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Stock is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasB View Post
I think stock looks better and has an air bag, so I don't get the point of this unless you are using the car solely for track purposes.
Stock is nice - Making it custom and unique is the best part for me.

The M4 CSL is done right from the factory -
Doing things to make it your own is the fun part for me
NicolasB808.00
      11-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #16
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Ya'll make it seem like your on the list to order something revolutionary that has never been done before but yet there is someone that's mastered the art..

I was at the top of this "List" - did my research & wrote my "Review"

Question for ya:
What is the difference between the F8X wheel that's been launched months ago to the G8X wheel
Same design/style/features just different programming needed for the G8X?

Lots of great marketing on the JQ Werks wheel & I hope you enjoy it.

As I mentioned I did my homework/asked questions and took everything into consideration....
Hence I'm extremely happy with the end result
You’re missing the point completely.

Whether it’s the same product as the previous gen, which again, you can’t know for certain because it isn’t even released yet, is irrelevant. You’re sharing your experiences with a product that you purchased with your own money “vs.” another product that you haven’t even held in your hands and clearly have no intentions of purchasing. You’re free to speculate as you wish but to title a thread “vs.”, then detail your experiences with only one of the products you’re discussing, then claim it’s superior because the other product is similar to the previous gen without empirical evidence is just bad taste. It could very well be the same product as before, but it’s intellectually dishonest to outright claim it is without knowing for certain.

You can do as much homework as you want, but you can’t do it on something that isn’t even out yet. If this thread were to be released after they fully release their steering wheel, that’s one thing, but they haven’t.

And their marketing is clearly doing something right if it triggers you into justifying your purchase by creating a thread defending it.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 11:14 AM   #17
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

Well wait - do you know what you ordered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
You’re missing the point completely.

Whether it’s the same product as the previous gen, which again, you can’t know for certain because it isn’t even released yet, is irrelevant. You’re sharing your experiences with a product that you purchased with your own money “vs.” another product that you haven’t even held in your hands and clearly have no intentions of purchasing. You’re free to speculate as you wish but to title a thread “vs.”, then detail your experiences with only one of the products you’re discussing, then claim it’s superior because the other product is similar to the previous gen without empirical evidence is just bad taste. It could very well be the same product as before, but it’s intellectually dishonest to outright claim it is without knowing for certain.

You can do as much homework as you want, but you can’t do it on something that isn’t even out yet. If this thread were to be released after they fully release their steering wheel, that’s one thing, but they haven’t.

And their marketing is clearly doing something right if it triggers you into justifying your purchase by creating a thread defending it.

My intent is not to bash anyone or validate my purchase....
My intent was solely to share my thought/purchase process with other car enthusiasts that might be in the same position. I did say JQ werks offers a great product - I was going to purchase one - I was on a "LIST" to get one of the first...

But then I did my homework - Which I think is fair & honest based on the information available and made my decision.

Sorry - You mentioned you pre-ordered the wheel correct?
But then you go on to say the wheel is not yet released - No one knows what it's going to offer since its not fully released yet.
WAKE UP
Its the same wheel as they launched for the F8X
What magical changes other then coding are you expecting for the G8X platform being launched Q4 TY.

Did you do your homework at all on what your buying? (Or signing up for)
I'm happy I did mine - Thanks for reading my post on it
      11-10-2023, 10:49 AM   #18
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

KMP!!!

Absolutely love this thing!
Fully Plug & Play
**Warning light on dash is for Oil change
I just did my 3rd oil change for storage at 7500KM
Service interval reminder will be reset in the spring when my out of storage oil change is completed
Attached Images

11-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #19
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
These wheels and integration with the car are indeed interesting. I think I'd use in tandem with a harness (ie half cage) for anything more than a show car. With that said, the CSL wheel is pretty damn good but I prefer alcantara and understand some hate it.
      11-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OP thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
YasPlz_CSL2428.50
      12-22-2023, 02:23 PM   #21
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

I absolutely love this wheel

I really appreciate the quality and precision of the proven KMP Brand.
It just screams quality
Attached Images

01-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #22
YasPlz_CSL
Captain
Rep

I love this wheel

Screammmmms Quality and Race
Attached Images