chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
1000M wheels, warranty swap?

Alright Bimmerpost collective, I need some opinions here and wanted to make an actual thread versus some cross posting in the “What did you do you to your G8x” thread.

As some of yo know, I purchased the 1000M wheels and tires from GetBMWParts.com on Black Friday. Everything with the order went smoothly and the wheels and tires were delivered two weeks later. Zero issues with the delivery and there was no damage from shipping. However, as I started to unpack the wheels and inspecting them I noticed that the frozen bronze finish didn’t seem right and I could see some of the silver from the wheels behind the paint. Almost as if in some areas it would appear that only one coat of paint was applied versus what probably should have been 2 or 3 coats of paint.

Putting the wheels into direct sunlight and taking a few steps back, this isn’t really noticeable at all, mostly with the way the matte finish messes with the lighting.

I’ve reached out to one of the service/parts managers at the dealership behind GetBMWParts.com and they said it looks like they should be swapped out under warranty and were willing to help me but wanted me to speak with my local dealership first due to the logistics of shipping 4 wheels back to them, processing the warranty claim, and sending a new set of wheels out.

I spoke to my local dealership this morning and they indicated they’d be willing to assist with a warranty swap, however, the only way it could be approved is for the West Coast regional BWM rep to inspect the wheels first and he’d have to approve. The problem there is that he isn’t scheduled to be in the area for another two months.

I’ve reach back out to GetBMWParts.com to see what we can do given the above with the local dealership and waiting to hear back.

In the mean time, I wanted to get some opinions on what others think I should do. Looking at some photos of the wheels, am I being too picky about them?
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Devils41262.50
      12-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #2
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
When you spend that much on any product, you shouldn’t settle for anything less than perfect. I would say that warranty would be OK, if it wasn’t going to take two months. I’d try and set up a return.
Appreciate 6
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
CoonsA208.50
HTTP 4102141.50
Poffman493.00
      12-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
My thoughts...

You have 3 options

1) wait for them to replace under warranty likely to take months

2) Ask for a discount 25% off for the paint defect and drive the wheels as in time they all get banged up and need touched up anyways.

3) Ask for bmw to repair the rim as it appears its all cosmetic..a good tire repair with paint skills could fix that up.
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
Poffman493.00
      12-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
My thoughts...

You have 3 options

1) wait for them to replace under warranty likely to take months

2) Ask for a discount for the paint defect and drive the wheels as in time they all get banged up.

3) Ask for bmw to repair the rim as it appears its all cosmetic
1. Only if the original seller agrees to waive return period if BMW rep says no.

2. The discount I’d be happy with would be around the cost of return shipping, possibly more.

3. Repainting brand new wheels is not an option I’d be ok with.

Just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
1. Only if the original seller agrees to waive return period if BMW rep says no.

2. The discount I’d be happy with would be around the cost of return shipping, possibly more.

3. Repainting brand new wheels is not an option I’d be ok with.

Just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Depending upon touch up job...it may not be a full job... Don't know if it's all 4 or just one. Idk if airbush could fix it or not.

Either way Bmw should make it right as those rims aren't cheap
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The local warranty swap option, while it would work, sucks in that I basically have wheels and tires just sitting here for several months. I would not mount them in fear of any damage and then warranty denial.

I’d be somewhat ok with getting them discounted but at the same time really
Would rather have a perfect set from the get go.

I don’t like the option of having them repaired/repainted. These are brand new from the factory, no reason I should have to do that even if either of the dealerships were to pay to have it done. This also impacts all four wheels so it isn’t just one of them.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 3
'Cane8540.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

What's the hold up with finding a reputable shop that could respray them (assuming it can be done to look like factory).

I get the gut punch of paying a ton of money and not getting what you expected, as well as having to already "repair" a brand new item. Resale?

Honestly I'd just want to get my awesome new wheels on and move on with my life and enjoy my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Honestly I'd just want to get my awesome new wheels on and move on with my life and enjoy my car.
Easy to say when it’s not your $6k.
Appreciate 3
s58544.00
HTTP 4102141.50
      12-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
The local warranty swap option, while it would work, sucks in that I basically have wheels and tires just sitting here for several months. I would not mount them in fear of any damage and then warranty denial.

I’d be somewhat ok with getting them discounted but at the same time really
Would rather have a perfect set from the get go.

I don’t like the option of having them repaired/repainted. These are brand new from the factory, no reason I should have to do that even if either of the dealerships were to pay to have it done. This also impacts all four wheels so it isn’t just one of them.
Agree but I would take 25% off...and save the coin for when your spouse or kid curb rashes it, you hit a pothole or they can banged up due to road usage.

Agree with wanting it perfect but bigger question is how long with that take.

Either way I like the rims
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3535.50
      12-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
What's the hold up with finding a reputable shop that could respray them (assuming it can be done to look like factory).

I get the gut punch of paying a ton of money and not getting what you expected, as well as having to already "repair" a brand new item. Resale?

Believe me, it’s killing me to walk out to the garage each time and see them sitting there versus being on my car. However, having paid over $6k for the wheels, I really don’t feel like the first thing I should be doing with them is finding a reputable shop to respray/repair them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Agree but I would take 25% off...and save the coin for when your spouse or kid curb rashes it, you hit a pothole or they can banged up due to road usage.

Agree with wanting it perfect but bigger question is how long with that take.

Either way I like the rims
25% isn’t a small amount and I’d definitely consider it at that point.

I’ve been pretty luck so far in that the last year, there isn’t a single bit of damage to my current wheels on the G80.

Appreciate 3
      12-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

You asked for opinions so I'll give you mine... I would either keep the wheels, mount them and move on, or return them and go wirh some other wheel entirely. I would not deal with a warranty claim or repair/respray at all. First, I am not sure I can even see the defects, and definitely wouldn't if you didn't point anything out. However you see something and it bothers you, and that's valid. If they replace the wheels however, they may have a similar issue, then what? Go through this again? No thanks.

So if what you are seeing bothers you to the point you are not comfortable, return them and use that $6k on something else. None of the other options seem to be worth the hassle. It's that, or mount them and go with it. Again, I don't exactly even see the damage, but maybe the pics aren't doing it justice.
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
wtwo317971.00
vmalho2703.50
cmplaya211.50
Technic2295.00
      12-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

First off, those wheels are stunning! I've loved them from the beginning and still love them. One of my favorite wheels (not just BMW wheels). Once you get them mounted, I'd be very curious about your thoughts on how the drive changed. I've read on here, from one member, that he sold them because the ride was harsher - likely due to the increased weight.

For your dilemma - You bought the wheels at $6,000 with the idea that they would be perfect. You weren't thinking that they may be imperfect, and that you may need to have them touched up. You don't buy new wheels and have them touched up. If this was an aftermarket vendor - especially some of the new ones in the forum - no one would stay quiet about it, and no one would consider having them resprayed. Besides, having them touched up or resprayed will never give the same exact color/consistency. I would rule that option out.

As for a discount - again, you paid for a perfect set of wheels. Why get a discount and have to look at them everyday with imperfections? Obviously, you were content with the amount you paid for them (assuming they're perfect). Why get a discount and have less than perfect new wheels?

I would either wait the two months for the regional rep, or set up shipping and have it taken care of sooner. Seeing that you're in AZ, I doubt that you're waiting for winter to be over before mounting. I know there are parts in AZ that have winter weather, but doesn't seem like you're in any of those areas. If you were planning on mounting them now, I would ship them back. So long as they're paying for shipping - I don't see an issue, other than an inconvenience. If it's too much of a hassle, two months isn't that long of a wait, and you'll be happier with the end result.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #13
Vinnrox250
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Garage List
DO. NOT. SETTLE. You spent a nice amount of coin for those, I would want them to be perfect; which means a new set, or next to free.

I would see if there was someone below the regional rep that could look at them and report back to the regional rep. And stress to them, I spent a lot of money on these, and I don't need garage ornaments. What can we do to expedite this. I understand protocols, but a couple months of them sitting there, and $6K~ out of your life and you not knowing truly what the outcome will be just does not sit right with me. I would want something confirmed that they will be replaced upon the reps review.
      12-12-2022, 01:43 PM   #14
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

If you are not getting the right product from the seller, the seller should take the wheels back and send you another pair. Why do you have to go to a local dealership and deal with warranty? If they refuse to send another pair tell them to send a RMA label and send it back and give you all your money back. It’s not your fault.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #15
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

at that price i would expect them to be perfect. Return or ask getbmwparts to work with BMW to make sure you are still within return period in case the warranty swap goes wrong somehow. Hard no on refinishing brand new wheels.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-12-2022, 02:10 PM   #16
John4C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
You asked for opinions so I'll give you mine... I would either keep the wheels, mount them and move on, or return them and go wirh some other wheel entirely. I would not deal with a warranty claim or repair/respray at all. First, I am not sure I can even see the defects, and definitely wouldn't if you didn't point anything out. However you see something and it bothers you, and that's valid. If they replace the wheels however, they may have a similar issue, then what? Go through this again? No thanks.

So if what you are seeing bothers you to the point you are not comfortable, return them and use that $6k on something else. None of the other options seem to be worth the hassle. It's that, or mount them and go with it. Again, I don't exactly even see the damage, but maybe the pics aren't doing it justice.

I completely agree. I think even if you swap them, you are likely to see similar spray patters on another set. You will never notice this when mounted, but I agree that it definitely would bother me if I dropped 6k on those.

Personally, I think that a really annoying outcome (at least IMHO) would be storing these for two months, waiting, then getting replacements that are marginally better or the same.

I'm not saying it's right at all, but I would either accept it or full pivot. Partial refund sounds great in theory but my experience suggests it won't be enough that you'll be happy.
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #17
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

First, congrats on finally getting them

No you’re not picky…I‘ve seen 4 different sets now and all of them are how I would say, not best paint quality in terms of paint coverage. Judging from your pics, I would say yours are more or less how the most are, maybe a bit worser.

Mine are not that bad, but I also have those light patches, mainly on tight spots. As you say, not that noticeable really unless you are really looking at those spots very close. But once you know it, it’s very annoying!!

Personally so annoying to me, that I will let them repaint over winter. For the money you pay, I would expect a better job. But unfortunately, it seems to be a overall issue with those wheels after seeing some sets and all were more or less the same…
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13477.50
chicagofan0019155.00
MinMax228.00
      12-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
With mine coming, tomorrow, or wednesday, you already have me at looking at ways to remedy this issue, for me, should this problem arise. I definitely see what just looks like overspray, on the sides of the spokes. Im just as uneasy spending this kind of money, only to find out that they immediately either need to be returned, or warrantied.

Nkr15 I think, for me, BMW is BMW. Somewhere along the line, it's all BMW. In this instance, they were delivered on a pallet, by freight, and since they are a BMW part number, and under BMW warranty, if I bought my car in LA, I wouldn't be going back down there, just to get the oil changed. BMW is BMW. But this is just my opinion. If this isn't the case, GBP, should just send an RMA, like you said, for the return.

Appreciate 3
Dr.Deep1827.00
Nkr151123.50
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #19
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Nkr15 I think, for me, BMW is BMW. Somewhere along the line, it's all BMW. In this instance, they were delivered on a pallet, by freight, and since they are a BMW part number, and under BMW warranty, if I bought my car in LA, I wouldn't be going back down there, just to get the oil changed. BMW is BMW. But this is just my opinion. If this isn't the case, GBP, should just send an RMA, like you said, for the return.
I think if there’s a flaw it should just go back to who sold it, it would have helped the seller and the buyer if he could walk into chandler bmw or whatever and get them to swap but the fact that he pays for it and then 60 days later it’s outside the return window and your fate is in the regional managers hand and the amount has left your bank account tells me it’s not a great plan.

I’d rather have $6,000 in my account than have it in some wheels for 2 months that I cannot use that potentially may not be replaced.

The seller can go to bmw with the wheels and get them to warranty swap them but the customer shouldn’t have to deal with that.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13477.50
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #20
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post

Definitely fair points and some things I’ve been considering. Would definitely hate to go through all the process of swapping (whether local or not) and then just get another set that looks the same (or worse!).

After seeing these wheels next to my car and the Twilight Purple, these are the wheels I want on my car going forward. There is no doubt about that so, in the end it would have to be a settle or hope that the warranty swap goes perfectly fine (again whether that be local or not).

It can be tough to tell with some of the photos, especially those from a bit further back. I think the best photos that are representative of what it looks like are attached here. You’ll notice that you can see silver through the gold/bronze almost as if it was just some overspray that got on that area versus actually painted, if that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
First off, those wheels are stunning! I've loved them from the beginning and still love them. One of my favorite wheels (not just BMW wheels). Once you get them mounted, I'd be very curious about your thoughts on how the drive changed. I've read on here, from one member, that he sold them because the ride was harsher - likely due to the increased weight.

For your dilemma - You bought the wheels at $6,000 with the idea that they would be perfect. You weren't thinking that they may be imperfect, and that you may need to have them touched up. You don't buy new wheels and have them touched up. If this was an aftermarket vendor - especially some of the new ones in the forum - no one would stay quiet about it, and no one would consider having them resprayed. Besides, having them touched up or resprayed will never give the same exact color/consistency. I would rule that option out.

As for a discount - again, you paid for a perfect set of wheels. Why get a discount and have to look at them everyday with imperfections? Obviously, you were content with the amount you paid for them (assuming they're perfect). Why get a discount and have less than perfect new wheels?

I would either wait the two months for the regional rep, or set up shipping and have it taken care of sooner. Seeing that you're in AZ, I doubt that you're waiting for winter to be over before mounting. I know there are parts in AZ that have winter weather, but doesn't seem like you're in any of those areas. If you were planning on mounting them now, I would ship them back. So long as they're paying for [...]
Thanks! These are definitely the wheels I’ve been after since day 1 and absolutely love them in general. I too am curious how they are on a daily basis especially with the step up to the 20/21” setup. I’m pretty confident it won’t be much of a change given that the roads here in AZ are pretty good in general. You are correct that I don’t have to worry about any winter setup so the plan was definitely to mount them now (or at least once I’ve had the chance to get them ceramic coated).

You bring up a good point about keeping them an accepting a discount and something that I’d a bit weary of doing should that be an option offered at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnrox250 View Post
DO. NOT. SETTLE. You spent a nice amount of coin for those, I would want them to be perfect; which means a new set, or next to free.

I would see if there was someone below the regional rep that could look at them and report back to the regional rep. And stress to them, I spent a lot of money on these, and I don't need garage ornaments. What can we do to expedite this. I understand protocols, but a couple months of them sitting there, and $6K~ out of your life and you not knowing truly what the outcome will be just does not sit right with me. I would want something confirmed that they will be replaced upon the reps review.
That is my plan with the local dealership with regards to the regional rep. I’m not sure why the dealership couldn’t take any photos and send it to the rep with their attestation that these aren’t perfect and then with the photos attached. I’m first waiting to see what GetBMWParts says is their next move. Hopefully I’ll hear back by end of day or tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
If you are not getting the right product from the seller, the seller should take the wheels back and send you another pair. Why do you have to go to a local dealership and deal with warranty? If they refuse to send another pair tell them to send a RMA label and send it back and give you all your money back. It’s not your fault.
I’ve gone back to the selling dealership and asked them how we can resolve this given the local situation. Locally would be easier logistics wise as shipping four wheels and tires isn’t exactly the same as just dropping them off at the local UPS store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
at that price i would expect them to be perfect. Return or ask getbmwparts to work with BMW to make sure you are still within return period in case the warranty swap goes wrong somehow. Hard no on refinishing brand new wheels.
Yep, agree. Don’t want to refinish them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      12-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #21
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
I think if there’s a flaw it should just go back to who sold it, it would have helped the seller and the buyer if he could walk into chandler bmw or whatever and get them to swap but the fact that he pays for it and then 60 days later it’s outside the return window and your fate is in the regional managers hand and the amount has left your bank account tells me it’s not a great plan.

I’d rather have $6,000 in my account than have it in some wheels for 2 months that I cannot use that potentially may not be replaced.

The seller can go to bmw with the wheels and get them to warranty swap them but the customer shouldn’t have to deal with that.
Outside the return window, definitely true. I wasn’t thinking on the return side, because as chicagofan00 and I are on the same page with, these are the only wheels that we want, so, the return didn’t immediately compute with me. But the fact that neither of us were prepared for them to come flawed, was my philosophy behind just getting them replaced, locally. But you’re correct, hanging onto them, hinging on the fact that they may get denied a warranty claim, is an issue.

Appreciate 2
Nkr151123.50
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #22
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Outside the return window, definitely true. I wasn’t thinking on the return side, because as chicagofan00 and I are on the same page with, these are the only wheels that we want, so, the return didn’t immediately compute with me. But the fact that neither of us were prepared for them to come flawed, was my philosophy behind just getting them replaced, locally. But you’re correct, hanging onto them, hinging on the fact that they may get denied a warranty claim, is an issue.
Yeah you never know, they could say that’s just how it is and even show you another set with the same overspray. I would have them send a return label and then have ups pick them up from my house and then order a set from the local dealer and inspect before buying it again. And if they are all this way and you can’t get past it, then either deal with it or buy some HREs or something.

Also this whole thing will be much easier when you get your set and if yours are in way better condition then he gets confirmation instead of speculation.
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13477.50