G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

04-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #23
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I'm pretty sure the seratiom is axial not radial. In case of a head on collision the driveshaft can collapse instead of becoming a spear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
That thought crossed my mind, but I'm sure it's strictly designed to give under impact force vs. rotational force.
I considered that, but a serration is a serration and I can still see it happening...perhaps not to all cars...but tuned RWD I could theoretically see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Great video........see what you could have had

Rule #1 in marketing - if something is worse or in any way negative on the new model STFU about it.
Rule # 1 when the public perception of a technical downgrade is negative is to explain what caused this. Especially when it's a change that has been forced on you by external circumstances.

What is said in this video is basically; "We at BMW M would have loved to give you the CFRP driveshaft, but unfortunately regulation changes has made that practically Impossible. We evaluated every possible solution to achieve this, but in the end it came out with no advantages over the steel shaft".
Exactly this!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

The single use adhesive capsule is very interesting... I wonder if this method could be used for other fittings in the car...

The CF driveshaft discussion awakened my curiosity. I have an end of production F80, built in June or July 2018 at a time when BMW was allegedly fitting steel driveshafts in all the M3 and M4s. I have an alignment coming this Monday, I should able to confirm the material.

The CF unit definitely has the “cool” factor. Although I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference in a side by side driving test.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
zamboni1127.50
Sedan_Clan25052.00
      04-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #26
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The single use adhesive capsule is very interesting... I wonder if this method could be used for other fittings in the car...

The CF driveshaft discussion awakened my curiosity. I have an end of production F80, built in June or July 2018 at a time when BMW was allegedly fitting steel driveshafts in all the M3 and M4s. I have an alignment coming this Monday, I should able to confirm the material.

The CF unit definitely has the “cool” factor. Although I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference in a side by side driving test.
Pretty sure the CFRP driveshaft utilization ended in November of 2017. Can't recall, but that seems to ring a bell. Edit...appears 03/2018 was the switch per the realoem.com site.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 04-08-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #27
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the seratiom is axial not radial. In case of a head on collision the driveshaft can collapse instead of becoming a spear...
Quote:
That thought crossed my mind, but I'm sure it's strictly designed to give under impact force vs. rotational force.
I considered that, but a serration is a serration and I can still see it happening...perhaps not to all cars...but tuned RWD I could theoretically see it.
Yes, of course there is a possibility. But since there are also serrated shafts in the transmission and diff, the serrated driveshaft need not be the weakest link... (but it would be preferrable from a cost of repair viewpoint that the driveshaft snaps rather then the gearbox or diff).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Rule # 1 when the public perception of a technical downgrade is negative is to explain what caused this. Especially when it's a change that has been forced on you by external circumstances.

What is said in this video is basically; "We at BMW M would have loved to give you the CFRP driveshaft, but unfortunately regulation changes has made that practically Impossible. We evaluated every possible solution to achieve this, but in the end it came out with no advantages over the steel shaft".
Except it's not forced by external circumstances. If it was really important to M they would have found a compromise to package the filters and retain the CF DS.
But even with the filters it's only the front section that is restricted, they could have made a full 90mm OD rear CFRP section. They didn't.

But in any case, there isn't a single thread in G80 forum crying about CFRP drive shaft omission. Everyone moved on after F82 lost CFRP. So this marketing video only serves to drag up an old topic. In a negative way. We also find out that it's even worse. The DS is now only 50mm diameter, and is so thick wall sectioned to keep the stiffness that it needs a collision sleeve in it to prevent it spearing the cabin. What a marketing triumph that was to come clean on.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
MULLET50.00
      04-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Except it's not forced by external circumstances. If it was really important to M they would have found a compromise to package the filters and retain the CF DS.
But even with the filters it's only the front section that is restricted, they could have made a full 90mm OD rear CFRP section. They didn't.

But in any case, there isn't a single thread in G80 forum crying about CFRP drive shaft omission. Everyone moved on after F82 lost CFRP. So this marketing video only serves to drag up an old topic. In a negative way. We also find out that it's even worse. The DS is now only 50mm diameter, and is so thick wall sectioned to keep the stiffness that it needs a collision sleeve in it to prevent it spearing the cabin. What a marketing triumph that was to come clean on.
I agree, it's total bullcrap reasoning on why it couldn't be done..

If they wanted to, they could of fitted a carbon fiber driveshaft, with an OPF filter and find some work-around but you know, that's just more added cost that they can't up-charge you for in some optional $4,000 "performance" package, so why bother when they can just increase the boost pressure to compensate for the potential lost of unsprung weight reduction.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #30
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

I had a Jun 18 production would be interested to find out whether mine had the CF or steel version. Keep us posted.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #31
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Forget the CFRP part...the "crash" serration bit is interesting...I have a suspicion that the level of force required to trigger that chain reaction might just also happen when the car is tuned and there's a ton of torque heading down the driveshaft...crank hub 2.0?
Not the same type of applied force. Torsional vs axial...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #32
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The CF driveshaft is not only about lighter weight, but also about drivetrain rigidity.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Indeed, a smaller diameter means significantly thicker walls to maintain load bearing capability. It will be interesting to see the weight of the G8X driveshaft vs the F8X steel one.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #34
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

If they wanted to, they could of fitted a carbon fiber driveshaft, with an OPF filter and find some work-around but you know, that's just more added cost that they can't up-charge you for in some optional $4,000 "performance" package, so why bother when they can just increase the boost pressure to compensate for the potential lost of unsprung weight reduction.
They have to work within a given chassis’ constraints. If there isn’t enough room in the exhaust/transmission tunnel, their options are limited.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

Indeed, a smaller diameter means significantly thicker walls to maintain load bearing capability. It will be interesting to see the weight of the G8X driveshaft vs the F8X steel one.
Quote:
Quote:
Forget the CFRP part...the "crash" serration bit is interesting...I have a suspicion that the level of force required to trigger that chain reaction might just also happen when the car is tuned and there's a ton of torque heading down the driveshaft...crank hub 2.0?
Not the same type of applied force. Torsional vs axial...
Quote:
Quote:
Torque is tangential, not radial
Quote:
Quote:

The CF unit definitely has the "cool" factor. Although I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference in a side by side driving test.
The CF driveshaft is not only about lighter weight, but also about drivetrain rigidity.
Quote:
Quote:

They have to work within a given chassis' constraints. If there isn't enough room in the exhaust/transmission tunnel, their options are limited.
+5
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They have to work within a given chassis' constraints. If there isn't enough room in the exhaust/transmission tunnel, their options are limited.
Humor me please and watch this video below on the strength of compressed carbon fiber, then come back and tell me with a strait face that the BMW dude is not full of shit and it can't be engineered to fit, especially when they where designing a car from scratch, fully aware of the OPF regulations...

Appreciate 3
      04-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #37
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Humor me please and watch this video below on the strength of compressed carbon fiber, then come back and tell me with a strait face that the BMW dude is not full of shit and it can't be built to fit, especially when they where designing a car from scratch.

Composites are very strong per unit weight, but require much more volume for a given load bearing capability. There are very few materials that favourably compare to steel regarding load bearing density.

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25052.00
      04-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Humor me please and watch this video below on the strength of compressed carbon fiber, then come back and tell me with a strait face that the BMW dude is not full of shit and it can't be built to fit, especially when they where designing a car from scratch.
Composites are very strong per unit weight, but require much more volume for a given load bearing capability. There are very few materials that favourably compare to steel regarding load bearing density.

Ok bro, we going to have to agree to disagree on this one..

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the cost..

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Ibiza3611.50
zamboni1127.50
      04-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #39
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Well good news to anyone in here wanting a CFRP driveshaft I have one for sale. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #40
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As F8SEVEN pointed out, this is prelude to SCH 2.0. I assume it's cheaper to replace a steel drive shaft compared to retiming the crack hub.
      04-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As F8SEVEN pointed out, this is prelude to SCH 2.0. I assume it's cheaper to replace a steel drive shaft compared to retiming the crack hub.
Yikes, say it ain't so, I plan to own one of these things some day and beating the crap out of it..

I'm going to reserve judgment until an official technical training manual or equivalent is leaked, with more intricate details; so I can make a more logical conclusion on its efficacy or - lack thereof.

However, I must say, I don't like the sound of breakaway driveshafts and never heard of a driveshaft becoming projectiles in an accident or it being failure-prone, so if it ain't broken.. But I still have faith in BMW, so we'll see how it goes..
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2021, 12:40 AM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't they already change the design altogether to deal with that? It was in the transmission video and I think they explicitly mentioned fixing that issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:20 AM   #43
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Certainly that regulations and cost might just be some of the issues, but the adhesive & balancing issues with a CF driveshaft should also be considered.

For the E9x M3 aftermarket, CF driveshaft from DSS/Fall-Line/MFactory all had some sort of issues whether it's from bonding or from balancing or from heat issues such that additional heat resistant material is to be installed around the CF driveshaft.
      04-09-2021, 03:11 AM   #44
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
So THAT was the cause of the driveshaft recall on my F82? ...in the U.S.?

Couldn't the filter just be relocated/reshaped instead of having to reengineer the whole drive shaft?
I know right. 2020s cars .... what's more important driveshaft or a filter.

Yep we will re engineer the car based around the filter :