BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

GA resident, keep cars registered in FL??

Wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as me. I currently have my cars titled and registered in FL. I just sold my house in FL and closed on my house here in Georgia, so I am now officially a GA resident. My parents still live in FL. I would love to be able to keep my cars registered in FL for a few reasons. Has anyone on this forum been in a situation like this where you figured out a way to legally keep your cars registered in a different state than the one your primary address is in? Dual residency where I claim FL as a secondary address? TIA for any input, if it isn't possible or is going to be a huge PITA I'll just bite the bullet.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Montana LLC, but I know GA has been cracking down on those. The state probably has a law that says you need to register it there within 30 days of becoming a resident.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as me. I currently have my cars titled and registered in FL. I just sold my house in FL and closed on my house here in Georgia, so I am now officially a GA resident. My parents still live in FL. I would love to be able to keep my cars registered in FL for a few reasons. Has anyone on this forum been in a situation like this where you figured out a way to legally keep your cars registered in a different state than the one your primary address is in? Dual residency where I claim FL as a secondary address? TIA for any input, if it isn't possible or is going to be a huge PITA I'll just bite the bullet.
Legally speaking, you must register your vehicle here in Georgia within 30 days of moving here. I'm pretty sure some people don't do it though as I see people in the neighborhood with out of state plates for a few years now. I don't know what the penalty is if you're caught though.

https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicl...r-your-vehicle
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My folks bought two cars after I moved to California in 2019. They were registered under my address here. However eventually once annual registration time came they registered the vehicles in their home state.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
You might be able to get away with it longer if you keep your FL license. (If you get pulled over, you're just visiting etc) It will also depend on your home and work parking situation (are there police that will see your car parked long term with out of state tags?)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Thanks for the input everyone, looks like I'll be biting the bullet. Can't keep my FL license, I'd have to claim residency and there goes my homestead exemption on my property taxes here in GA.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      04-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Depends on the officer pulling you over. Most will notice the GA license and FL plate and hit you with an improper registration ticket.

I get it, the 6.6% TAVT sucks, but I think paying it now is the way to go, rather than getting a ticket later and still owing the tax. But that's just me. GA sucks if you like to switch cars often.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone, looks like I'll be biting the bullet. Can't keep my FL license, I'd have to claim residency and there goes my homestead exemption on my property taxes here in GA.
But can you claim primary residence in Florida and secondary in Georgia? Lack of state income tax could prove to be more beneficial than homestead exemption. Plus you can accomplish your original ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
But can you claim primary residence in Florida and secondary in Georgia? Lack of state income tax could prove to be more beneficial than homestead exemption. Plus you can accomplish your original ask.
Yes but you typically have to live in Florida for a certain amount of time to claim as your primary. Obviously you can get into serious trouble if you also claim GA property as your homestead.

I've known people who kept their out of state license for years before getting a GA license and transferring the vehicle registration.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I guess what I meant is don’t claim homestead in Georgia, but claim residency in Florida - not both. I’m from Georgia but currently live in Florida. If I had residencies in both states, I know what I’d choose.
Appreciate 0