Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
why people will do that is out of my understanding. Looks out of place, not to mention how the heck you will clean all the residuals, sand, mud and everything that will retain moisture if you do that?
I have a hard time cleaning it as is...
Lowering? Well it does have performance benefits even if you don't like the aesthetics.
Can you tell me of the performance benefits of just adding lowering springs?
There are zero performance benefits to lowering springs. All it does is reduce suspension travel, which means the dampers engage the bump stops earlier reducing the cars ability to absorb energy through the suspension i.e reduces grip. Lowering springs are garbage, and in this case aesthetically it doesn't even look good. Always amazes me people drop $80k on a car then cripple it's handling with cheap springs. It's effectively throwing away thousands of hours M division engineering on suspension and kinematics for nothing.
Appreciate 16
WWM3956.50
Teutonic2706.00
THEROK1264.50
Davil6333.50
Scorp!on1510.00
thurston214.00
m20e30871143.00
Bon F80127.00
naywa01280.50
FrozenGT1109.00
safridi66.00
DaFish153.50
      03-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #47
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
2 things...

1. In my experience with lowering springs on bmw's (E46, E92, F30, F87) the passenger rear (LHD) tends to sit a little higher (maybe 1/4-1/2 inch) than the driver rear for whatever reason, so it's important to get either adjustable springs, or to have non-adjustables that account for this. Whether or not this applies to the G80 is unknown, but I think you guys should have measured all 4 corners to see the final height, not just two corners to see the amount of drop.

2. The fronts are definitely sitting higher than the rears and need more of a drop than the rears. I'd say 1.25-1.5 front and .75-1.0 rear would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #48
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
There are zero performance benefits to lowering springs. All it does is reduce suspension travel, which means the dampers engage the bump stops earlier reducing the cars ability to absorb energy through the suspension i.e reduces grip. Lowering springs are garbage, and in this case aesthetically it doesn't even look good. Always amazes me people drop $80k on a car then cripple it's handling with cheap springs. It's effectively throwing away thousands of hours M division engineering on suspension and kinematics for nothing.
Literally exactly how I feel
Appreciate 3
Montaver2066.50
naywa01280.50
DaFish153.50
      03-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #49
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Is there a drop that's less aggressive than this? The wheel gap on the rear wheels (with stock suspension), is optimal. Really just want to replicate that in the front.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #50
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Lowering? Well it does have performance benefits even if you don't like the aesthetics.
No, it doesnt. You don’t push that car to the limits where you will benefit from that difference of that center of gravity.
Secondly, it comes with some negatives and punishment for the chassis and the comfort.
Forget about being unable to wash it under and put high pressure wash in there to prevent future rust and clean the wheel well.

It looks out of place as the wheel arch of the car is not in sync with the wheel anymore; looks like is broken, and has no benefits for a normal user.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #51
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
No, it doesnt. You don’t push that car to the limits where you will benefit from that difference of that center of gravity.
Secondly, it comes with some negatives and punishment for the chassis and the comfort.
Forget about being unable to wash it under and put high pressure wash in there to prevent future rust and clean the wheel well.

It looks out of place as the wheel arch of the car is not in sync with the wheel anymore; looks like is broken, and has no benefits for a normal user.
The car in your avatar is dropped within an inch of its life.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #52
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Is there a drop that's less aggressive than this? The wheel gap on the rear wheels (with stock suspension), is optimal. Really just want to replicate that in the front.
Seems like almost everyone in here is in agreement that the rear is too aggressive. Borderline slammed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Wow! Such angst over springs.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      03-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #54
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
The car in your avatar is dropped within an inch of its life.
Right. Except that M GT race car was made for that and the whole body was build for that. Secondly, the springs were ENGINEERED BY M FOR THAT.
Not last, the body is still beautiful and takes care of the aesthetics too - very important for the whole image -, as the wheel arch still follows the wheel which obviously is not “sinked” like the car is broken...

Plus, that car is “naked” with no carpet wheel well liner and looked after in a rigorous way, not to mention the weels are swapped daily so it can be cleaned properly...

Anyway, that car has a purpose and is engineered for that purpose, not a wanna be.

I respect however someone’s opinion about this or his option to do it.
I just expressed my opinion as I do not like it at all, plus is detrimental to this car from comfort to maintenance. And if you run a RFT on that car and for some reason you get a a flat with a shredding tire, you can kiss godbye that fender...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:31 AM   #55
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
why people will do that is out of my understanding. Looks out of place, not to mention how the heck you will clean all the residuals, sand, mud and everything that will retain moisture if you do that?
Ok wasn't wrong thinking bunch of people just want to undo what M spent a lot of time on. From my experience the only thing that helped performance was a very good set of properly done coilovers with parts to adjust for lowered stance, an not just any cheap Coilovers.
Just thought the other guy knew something I didn't know or he needed to be informed.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2066.50
      03-22-2021, 01:38 AM   #56
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lower center of gravity.
Lower center of gravity doesn't mean anything though if your suspension travels is all out of sorts and the suspension geometry is also out of whack due to the lowered stance. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is from my experience when I tried just springs, then added shocks with springs than eventually to real good set of coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:44 AM   #57
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly this. This car will handle like a turd. However, the type of audience this type of mod attracts are unlikely to notice and will be completely happy with it.

Such a shame as the car handles brilliantly.

To me, it's (yet) another case of this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:08 AM   #58
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Well BMW still offers the MP-HAS and I think this one will be tested by the engineers there to have a perfect fit, functionality and plus I can go 10mm lower (that's all I want).

I for myself find it rubbish when it's too low (take a look at the F80/F30 board, jesus some cars there scratch the floor thats just not good looking at all when the weel goes IN the fender).

A small drop with a official BMW piece.
done.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #59
BimmerFix
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Exactly this. This car will handle like a turd. However, the type of audience this type of mod attracts are unlikely to notice and will be completely happy with it.

Such a shame as the car handles brilliantly.

To me, it's (yet) another case of this.
MP-HAS or nothing for me.

It's perfect and engineered by M division.

I went through the trials & tribulations on my F82.

Everything is a compromise, unless you go full blown Coilovers or MP-HAS
Scorp!on1510.00
      03-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #60
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
No, it doesnt. You don't push that car to the limits where you will benefit from that difference of that center of gravity.

I do push cars to the limit (not on the street). I did find my F80 handled noticeably better after lowering springs were installed.

You're making a subjective statement about the appearance of a lowered car and for the most part I agree with you. I'm not a fan of the "slammed" look. I do feel a modest drop and spacers helps any car look better and I say that as a 39 year old Executive and not a "boy racer."
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      03-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #61
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lower center of gravity.
Lower center of gravity doesn't mean anything though if your suspension travels is all out of sorts and the suspension geometry is also out of whack due to the lowered stance. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is from my experience when I tried just springs, then added shocks with springs than eventually to real good set of coilovers.
I am doing M performance springs at the recommended height (.4" drop in front if I recall correctly). I am not lowering 2.9999" to create a slammed look. I am not adding spacers to throw off overall suspension geometry. There is a difference but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #62
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
I do push cars to the limit (not on the street). I did find my F80 handled noticeably better after lowering springs were installed.

You're making a subjective statement about the appearance of a lowered car and for the most part I agree with you. I'm not a fan of the "slammed" look. I do feel a modest drop and spacers helps any car look better and I say that as a 39 year old Executive and not a "boy racer."
Well there is a difference if you buy a full KW tested suspension or the MP-HAS or you just smack some cheap coilovers to get the car lover.

KW and MP-HAS are adapted for the car (at least for sure MP-HAS, not so much into KW to be honest).

But what I at least see a lot is that car's are just put insanely low to look aggressive but can't even drive properly because they touch everywhere.
this is ridicolous.

Either you let it original or you get it done properly and this costs money (not the 300$ crap coilovers).

If I get it correctly you got the MP-HAS, then for sure it has better handling.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #63
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
After test driving the G80, it's MP-HAS or nothing. Stock is extremely good IMO, unless your going proper CO, I would stick with MP or maybe KW since they are the ones making the MP.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #64
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, it doesnt. You don't push that car to the limits where you will benefit from that difference of that center of gravity.

[QUOTE=frankiebones;27376187]
Quote:
Quote:
Did it make a difference in lap time though, I mean if you're talking about hard track use and (very incrementally) lowering the centre of gravity, that's what really counts right?

Otherwise it's really just aesthetics, as the car is never going to get to that extreme edge of the performance envelope where a millimetre or two of CoG height (not ride height) will make the difference on the road...

Personally I'm more of a 'drive it stock' guy, I don't buy into modding cars the instant I buy it and if it's really that bad in the first place, why buy it? Each to their own I guess.

Anyway just saying as a 40-something guy
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #65
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Arent those stock wheels
Yes they are. I suppose the aftermarket wheels are in the shots of the rolling car
Lol 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #66
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Raptor, 2008 Subaru

Thumbs up

Quote:
On a very smooth track (autocrossing) they might be a benefit, or on poorly sorted out suspension, but otherwise I completely agree
Appreciate 0