04-10-2021, 04:53 AM   #67
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The first version of the AR engine just had DI, they added port injection later on. See attached spec sheets for 2017 and 2020.

I guess AR use the port injection to create less particles during the WLTP cycle. Ie, they don't use the DI during the WLTP test cycle (unlike VW most likely). Running the engine on just port injection in the WLTP cycle creates a lot less particles, and they meet requirements without OPF.

The other petrol engines in the AR Giulia lineup is just DI. Which makes me think that AR was not able to make room for OPF on the Quadrofoglio or could justify to re-engineer the car to make room for the OPF.
If this was a "better" engineering solution they would have done the same on the lesser models as well.

I'm pretty sure particulate requirements is the only reason they added port injection and that they weren't able to/could afford to make room for the OPF on this low volume model with a larger engine with less room to play with. Port injection is a low cost compromise to the problem.
Good information.

So Alfa came up with a solution that enabled them to keep a CF DS and the full aural delights from a non OPF exhaust solution on their top drawer sporty model? You mentioned compromise?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #68
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

The CFRP driveshaft was dropped for cost reasons initially, nothing more. And as evidenced by enthusiast themselves justifying the G8x weight gain and how you "totally don't notice it", I'd say BMW made a solid decision. Not that I'm convinced it was that much lighter in CFRP form anyway.

As for OPF yeah those damn things are massive and are going to definitely require engineering solutions for the driveshaft. I couldn't believe they were larger than cats when I first saw them.
heavyD^23688.50
      04-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #69
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

Thanks Boss330, love that level of detail.
      04-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #70
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
That's correct, but TFSI engines have been using port injection since 2013 (Golf GTI MK7, RS3 MK2 facelift) and they also need the particulate filter to meet regulations, I don't know why actually, maybe there's something else behind the Quadrifoglio engines that I'm not aware of.
The best part of port injection is the cleanliness of the intake, something FSI owners are familiar with
We don't get the port injected versions of the EA888 engine in North America so the addition of port injection must pay some emissions dividends and it's possible the reason the EA888 still needs OPF is because the engine itself is pretty old as it dates back to 2008.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:31 PM   #71
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjokosaus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
So THAT was the cause of the driveshaft recall on my F82? ...in the U.S.?

Couldn't the filter just be relocated/reshaped instead of having to reengineer the whole drive shaft?
BMW doesn't have to add emissions equipment on cars that are already on the road. That would be dumb.
There was a whopping 87 days to find a solution. The regulations went into effect 1 year earlier than originally planned.

The pre-fitting was indeed due to the potential need to add OPF to unsold vehicles remaining on the effective date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Forget the CFRP part...the "crash" serration bit is interesting...I have a suspicion that the level of force required to trigger that chain reaction might just also happen when the car is tuned and there's a ton of torque heading down the driveshaft...crank hub 2.0?
These videos are starting to show some incorrect info. The front crash safety device isn't exactly new. The F8x CFRP driveshaft had it.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
CanAutM321115.00
      04-18-2021, 02:35 AM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjokosaus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
So THAT was the cause of the driveshaft recall on my F82? ...in the U.S.?

Couldn't the filter just be relocated/reshaped instead of having to reengineer the whole drive shaft?
BMW doesn't have to add emissions equipment on cars that are already on the road. That would be dumb.
There was a whopping 87 days to find a solution. The regulations went into effect 1 year earlier than originally planned.

The pre-fitting was indeed due to the potential need to add OPF to unsold vehicles remaining on the effective date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Forget the CFRP part...the "crash" serration bit is interesting...I have a suspicion that the level of force required to trigger that chain reaction might just also happen when the car is tuned and there's a ton of torque heading down the driveshaft...crank hub 2.0?
These videos are starting to show some incorrect info. The front crash safety device isn't exactly new. The F8x CFRP driveshaft had it.
Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:05 AM   #73
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but no it didn't.

It had a sliding spline section to adjust for varying length, like all driveshafts have, even the G80 one. The G80 shaft has an additional, normally solid, crash break point to allow it to telescope inside itself.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      04-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #74
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Sorry, but no it didn't.

It had a sliding spline section to adjust for varying length, like all driveshafts have, even the G80 one. The G80 shaft has an additional, normally solid, crash break point to allow it to telescope inside itself.
Absolutely certain about that?

"In a longitudinal collision, the CFRP driveshaft transfers crash forces from one end of the vehicle to the other. If the axial load exceeds 20,000 pounds, the splined fittings collapse in a controlled manner within the tube to absorb energy."
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      04-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #75
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Sorry, but no it didn't.

Absolutely certain about that?

"In a longitudinal collision, the CFRP driveshaft transfers crash forces from one end of the vehicle to the other. If the axial load exceeds 20,000 pounds, the splined fittings collapse in a controlled manner within the tube to absorb energy."
Yes absolutely certain about that thanks.

Whilst similar in effect, it definitely isn't the same mechanism. This is all new and needed due to the very thin DS.
Appreciate 0