BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

04-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #45
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

F90 M5 is fast. Really fast. The acceleration is next-level. I have one.

But I understand those that find the F90 less engaging and just a little "detached" - these are the people that label the F90 'boring'.

As others have said - during normal driving around town, under 50mph - the thing is a caged animal. Due to the smoothness and added isolation from the road it feels like you're barely using it AT ALL.

I feel the G80 6MT will be much more engaging for the enthusiast. It's still fast, but around town driving under 50mph (where you spend 80% of your time) you won't feel like it's any slower than the F90. Plus, it'll have the 6MT and more communicative steering which will make the experience 'un-boring'. At least in my book.
      04-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #46
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
F90 M5 is fast. Really fast. The acceleration is next-level. I have one.

But I understand those that find the F90 less engaging and just a little "detached" - these are the people that label the F90 'boring'.

As others have said - during normal driving around town, under 50mph - the thing is a caged animal. Due to the smoothness and added isolation from the road it feels like you're barely using it AT ALL.

I feel the G80 6MT will be much more engaging for the enthusiast. It's still fast, but around town driving under 50mph (where you spend 80% of your time) you won't feel like it's any slower than the F90. Plus, it'll have the 6MT and more communicative steering which will make the experience 'un-boring'. At least in my book.
The 505lb weight reduction for the G80 vs the F90 doesn't hurt handling either. Yeah, I know there's 127 fewer hp in the G80 6MT but 505lbs less is an amount you can FEEL around turns. That's like removing the weight of 2.5 people from the car!

G80 M3 is also about 1.5% closer to perfect 50/50 weight distribution vs the F90 M5.
Attached Images

05-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #47
smueqas
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Looks great, Congrats.... Water damage restoration Michigan I feel like since it's an auto box now, the decision for a manual is clear

Last edited by smueqas; 05-23-2021 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #48
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Pretty funny to see people talking crap about moving from the F90 to the F80. The level of egocentric views is unreal.

Just because you aspire to own an F90 doesn't mean that it is what everyone wants. Some of us have had one and found that it wasn't what we were looking for after the novelty of acceleration wore off. Doesn't mean it isn't a great car for other people, just may not be the right car for others for a variety of reasons.

My point of view is that the M5 is made for passengers and people who want a less engaging experience. The M3 is made for drivers who want a more engaging experience. Nothing wrong with either choice, just depends of the type of person/driver you are.
Yeah they're kinda sketchy to push into sharp corners.

I didn't like anything other than the straight line performance.

The interior wasn't really even that special to me either
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:13 AM   #49
M2CS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Today was the last day with MY21 F90 M5 Comp LCI. It was kind of bitter sweet since the F90 did everything you could want in luxury and style except for 1 thing. Feel connected to the road like the new G80. I've tracked both cars and the M5 is capable but is just too heavy and isn't as direct.

Either way they are both the best of what BMW has to currently offer. Enjoy the pics!!
Nice pics! Both the G80 and F90 look like beasts ready to play! Yesterday, I got a chance stop by my dealer and take a really good look at the G80. I like it, but my concern is the exact same way you felt about the M5 being too heavy and not as direct as the G80. I feel if I were to go from a M2CS to a G80/G82, after the new car adrenalin wore off... I'd be left feeling like it's too heavy to provide the level of engagement the M2CS provides. I guess it really comes down to how much luxury you want and are wiling to part with in exchange for more engagement.
Appreciate 0