BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #23
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

I bought XDrive compatible Eibach front springs from R44 and installed them myself, was around $70 for some tools.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #24
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
- agree w/ Bzs and Limegrn - best video..a few observations..:

So - just did it this weekend past. You do NOT need to loosen the front lower control arm bolts. Also - the front fender liner, is in two pieces. You only need to remove the front. Also, the xdrive axle keeps the lower control arms (on my car) from going too low that it hurt the headlight sensor. I left attached. But check yours.

A trolley jack helps. Once lowered, I pulled out boot and bump stop. To get spring out..slipped the top coil off the strut and then uncoiled the spring from around the strut. Spun it. My new coils are Eibachs and the top and bottom coils are tighter to next coil than stock springs. U gotta push it on backwards from bottom of coil. Then spin it and slip top coil over top of strut.

The strut hat is in two main pieces w/ a bearing/race in it. Snaps together. On one side mine popped open. Just had to snap back together.

Once coil is in w/ upper boot, stop and strut hat back in, jack up slow and guide the strut into hat and make sure coil goes even around the base of the strut hat. It can get off center. Strut bolt is 52ft/lb. The strut hat bolts are tty (good luck).

Once you do one side, second side is a breeze.

The backs kinda suck more (I have a runway lift - did these on lift, but fronts I did on ground). Tons of youtube videos' to watch. Getting the inside control arm bolts re-centered sucks and good luck w/ torque values. The shock bolt is smaller, hard to believe they both have same torque values.

I put on new xdrive Eibachs..super happy. I just didnt' [...]
I assume you did not remove the exhaust to access the rear suspension bolt, like they did in the video?

Apparently my lift won’t be here until mid next month so I’ll have to wait until then as I only have one jack to work with at the moment. Once you have a lift, you really don’t want to live without it hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:12 PM   #25
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I assume you did not remove the exhaust to access the rear suspension bolt, like they did in the video?

Apparently my lift won’t be here until mid next month so I’ll have to wait until then as I only have one jack to work with at the moment. Once you have a lift, you really don’t want to live without it hahaha
Did not remove any exhaust. The control arm bolt is threaded the whole way - It takes a breaker bar to loosen it. The nut on opposite end of that bolt, I loosed w/ a long box wrench first - then used a breaker bar and a long 1/2 drive (old) torque wrench to get bolt out. Once you get 20% of it backed out, it gets easier, you can use an impact w/ a 1/2 driver universal to get it the last 75-80% out.

What type of lift?? Four post or two post???
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #26
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Did not remove any exhaust. The control arm bolt is threaded the whole way - It takes a breaker bar to loosen it. The nut on opposite end of that bolt, I loosed w/ a long box wrench first - then used a breaker bar and a long 1/2 drive (old) torque wrench to get bolt out. Once you get 20% of it backed out, it gets easier, you can use an impact w/ a 1/2 driver universal to get it the last 75-80% out.

What type of lift?? Four post or two post???
Quick Jack lift. The one I have from my F80 won’t work with the G, so I had to buy new frames
Thanks for confirming. I have an impact so not too worried. Was just wondering if I really had to remove exhaust. Never had to before.
Appreciate 1
M4Lou415.50
      06-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #27
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDSOME View Post
I bought XDrive compatible Eibach front springs from R44 and installed them myself, was around $70 for some tools.
Looks good man!

The Raleigh film showed a way to get the new springs on an xdrive w/o removing the strut - just another way.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #28
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Looks good man!

The Raleigh film showed a way to get the new springs on an xdrive w/o removing the strut - just another way.
Thanks. I saw that after I had done mine
Appreciate 1
BzsBimmer3277.50
      06-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #29
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quick Jack lift. The one I have from my F80 won’t work with the G, so I had to buy new frames
Thanks for confirming. I have an impact so not too worried. Was just wondering if I really had to remove exhaust. Never had to before.
Sounds good Bz - I've got a four post Greg Smith lift, sounds like a Cadillac - but almost all of these deals are Chinese made and when you start pulling as hard as you can on those tight ass bolts, it'll get your attention as to how good your lift is. Most are super strong vertically - but may have tiny bit of give laterally. Just FYI.

Last edited by M4Lou; 06-24-2023 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
BzsBimmer3277.50
      06-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #30
nashtyboy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My guy only charged a couple hundred bucks for the install... he initially thought he was going to have to go through the trunk to get the rears done, which would have meant a bunch more labor & a $1k price tag like OP mentioned, but he was able to do it fine without all that so it was just a couple hour job.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:24 AM   #31
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifybear View Post
My shop quoted $950 for HR super sport springs and spacers also alignment installation. Is this a reasonable price or is this too much? And does anyone recommend a shop in NorCal
Just got the fronts done and an all-wheel alignment. $480 out the door. I know the rears are a bit easier than the fronts but I don't think the price you were quoted is that out of line. I'll report back if the front settles too much and I have to do the rears as well.

Also, are they actually charging you to put your spacers on? If so, just do that yourself. Couldn't be any easier or straight forward unless you don't have the tools.

Last edited by mirob; 07-01-2023 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 12:48 AM   #32
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Got my lifts in. Finally.
Work in progress.

Tips were spot on.
- Didn’t need to remove rear plastic shield
- Didn’t need to touch any of the lower suspension bolts like in the video
- Using chisels to spread the strut housing worked like a charm
- Top front strut castle nuts are 71 Nm. Really odd number but that’s what the manual states

Need to do the rears tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:13 PM   #33
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Got the rears in late last night. What an ordeal.
One of my rear adjusters was missing the set screw so I had to remove my front wheel to take that one since I am not fully dumped on the rears (three turns up from max)
I removed the two bolts from the video which went fine. Didn’t touch the alignment bolt but when putting back, the stupid hole didn’t want to line up so I ended up loosening the alignment bolt anyway.

I removed the rear fender liners to get better access to the rear shock bolts.

Lastly, if removing the upper control arm bolt, I can see why NRP removed the exhaust as it’s a tight fit and trying with an impact wrench is impossible. That bolt is under a crap ton of torque so you need a breaker bar. I ended up just removing the camber bolt on the other side and saved me a ton of hassle. The control arm is harder to pull down this way but it cut my time in half. YMMV as they say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 10:02 PM   #34
TT_mand
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6mt

Did h&r springs at home on an xdrive g80. Did them in my garage with just jack stands and a jack. Followed Nathan Barnes YouTube video for the instal. The rears took 45 mins each because the bolts that holds the lower control arm to the subframe is so difficult to get off.
The fronts seemed easier as the bolts came off smooth. Def need a second person when doing the fronts it’ll make your life so much easier.
Overall I didn’t loosen the lower control arm bolts and followed Nathan Barnes YouTube video exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:44 PM   #35
Wombo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

$950 seems high, I paid $300 at a local performance shop for install. He mentioned HAS would be a bit more, but I only had the H&R sport springs installed on my xdrive, which the shop owner also had installed on his own xdrive m3. No alignment since his shop doesn’t do them, getting it checked this weekend at a different place after it settles a bit more. The check is free, but the alignment they quoted $330 OTD which seems very high to me so I might look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #36
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombo View Post
$950 seems high, I paid $300 at a local performance shop for install. He mentioned HAS would be a bit more, but I only had the H&R sport springs installed on my xdrive, which the shop owner also had installed on his own xdrive m3. No alignment since his shop doesn’t do them, getting it checked this weekend at a different place after it settles a bit more. The check is free, but the alignment they quoted $330 OTD which seems very high to me so I might look elsewhere.
$300 is reasonable and should be the going rate US wide. It was a couple hundred bucks in the rwd e92 m3 and should be just a little more for springs on the g82 rwd manual transmission m4. Anything more is Bidenflation. 😂
Appreciate 0