home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-12-2024, 07:54 AM   #1
g80.dre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Lowest Possible Suspension G80 X-Drive

Hello all! I have a 2022 G80 M3 Comp X-Drive which is currently running the KW HAS kit. I have been running it for almost a year now. Comfort is good, but it doesn't go as low as I would like it to in the front. My front is maxed out and it still is not as close as I'd like. I also noticed on other KW HAS cars.

I am debating on switching to coils. Does anyone know the lowest drop coilover (more importantly lowest in the front) for X-Drive cars? Would like something with good quality as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:06 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Ohlins are low

But if you are not tracking the car, you don't need coilovers. You can get adjustable springs instead. AST adjustable and H&R VTF are the best options in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:48 PM   #3
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

My understanding is the Ohlins require some modifications to be able to go low on the x drive cars.

Also they’re recommended height isn’t really meant for extensive lowering. KW V3 is probably your best bet. Not worth getting another HAS kit. The ast goes a little lower up front but you’ll end up blowing the oem struts
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 03:06 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

HAS systems height adjustment are limited by stock compression travel. You’ll basically be running on the bump stops constantly if you lower front too much. This is the wrong setup if you’re looking to run a low setup.

If you’re looking to go extremely low then BC is your only choice. They are a truly entry level coilover and excel at being able to run ridiculously low. Ride quality is compromised. I’d recommend not using them.

If you’re looking to go reasonably low then the KW V3 with 2-way adjustable damping is an option. Improvement in street handling but not a setup for track use. V4 is also available with 3-way adjustable damping but overkill for a street damper. Finally, the V5 is 4-way adjustable and make even less sense for a street setup. Unsure if KW is pushing the V4 and V5 as track coilovers but it’s all marketing bs. KW CS and KW Motorsport are their true track setups.

If you’re looking to go functionally low and improve handling then the Ohlins R&T is your best option. Easy to swap spring rates if you add camber plates. Good entry-level track setup. 1-way adjustable (DFV provides small changes in compression with rebound adjustment) dampers. Custom damping available from 3DM and PSI.

Moton, MCS and Ohlins TTX 2, 3 and 4 way adjustable dampers if you’re looking for a true track/motorsport damper. Can run them pretty darn low if that’s what you’re looking for. Custom spring rates with a true coilover rear setup option. Moton and MCS can handle a wide range of spring rate whereas Ohlins TTX require revalving for spring rate changes.

That captures pretty much every coilover option available for the G8x. Price increase as you move down each option.
Appreciate 5
MasterM58.00
AhsanU3831.00
g80.dre100.00
NYBeater220.50
      01-15-2024, 07:16 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by specced View Post
My understanding is the Ohlins require some modifications to be able to go low on the x drive cars.

Also they’re recommended height isn’t really meant for extensive lowering. KW V3 is probably your best bet. Not worth getting another HAS kit. The ast goes a little lower up front but you’ll end up blowing the oem struts
It's simply running a negative preload or run it with a helper and lower the spring perch until your desired ride height. You will end up with much less compression travel though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:59 AM   #6
g80.dre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
HAS systems height adjustment are limited by stock compression travel. You’ll basically be running on the bump stops constantly if you lower front too much. This is the wrong setup if you’re looking to run a low setup.

If you’re looking to go extremely low then BC is your only choice. They are a truly entry level coilover and excel at being able to run ridiculously low. Ride quality is compromised. I’d recommend not using them.

If you’re looking to go reasonably low then the KW V3 with 2-way adjustable damping is an option. Improvement in street handling but not a setup for track use. V4 is also available with 3-way adjustable damping but overkill for a street damper. Finally, the V5 is 4-way adjustable and make even less sense for a street setup. Unsure if KW is pushing the V4 and V5 as track coilovers but it’s all marketing bs. KW CS and KW Motorsport are their true track setups.

If you’re looking to go functionally low and improve handling then the Ohlins R&T is your best option. Easy to swap spring rates if you add camber plates. Good entry-level track setup. 1-way adjustable (DFV provides small changes in compression with rebound adjustment) dampers. Custom damping available from 3DM and PSI.

Moton, MCS and Ohlins TTX 2, 3 and 4 way adjustable dampers if you’re looking for a true track/motorsport damper. Can run them pretty darn low if that’s what you’re looking for. Custom spring rates with a true coilover rear setup option. Moton and MCS can handle a wide range of spring rate whereas Ohlins TTX require revalving for spring rate [...]
Wow! Very insightful. Thank you for the information!
Appreciate 0