home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-03-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

Just installed H&R Sport springs on my '24 G80 base (manual)

With a little over 750 mi on the car, I went ahead and installed a set of H&R regular sport springs today. I did it in my father's garage using his lift because it is easier than my drive-on lift. All in all it took me about 3 hours doing it for the first time and making sure to take my time with everything. It wasn't bad, and I'm a little upset that I had bought spring compressors, the really nice set of course. Doing it this way on the lift and using a jack under the front control arm, you don't need to use spring compressors and it's very easy and safe.

I've only driven the car about 5 mi or so, therefore I am sure it has a bit of settling to do. I didn't take measurements, just accurate photos to show the before and after. I would say the ride quality is not much different from stock, maybe 10% stiffer, but easy to live with. I also installed 15 mm spacers on the front and 13 mm on the back (with Pirellis). It has a little rubbing of the fins up front on full lock in reverse, so I'm going to do the method that R44 recommends and heat up the fender well and use a wood block to bend it out a bit.

I think the stance is pretty good, and it should be still fairly livable with the lip up front. This is not a daily driver, so I was willing to sacrifice a little usability for it to look nice. I am glad I put the small mud flaps on recently, with the extra that the wheels stick out now, it would definitely be throwing more stuff on the fenders.

Lots of pictures attached, only the very first one is showing it with stock springs(click on them to expand to full size).
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      01-03-2024, 03:11 PM   #2
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep

I am bringing it to the dealer on Friday for break-in service and an alignment, which is around 110 mi away. That will give the springs some time to settle in before the alignment. I will add updated photos once it is all settled and aligned.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:22 PM   #3
DravitM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Competition Series

Garage List
Nice job! The wheel gap up front looks great, and was much needed I’m having the HAS kit installed once I get my keys. Quick question, which brand of CF side skirts did you go with? How does it match up with OEM? I’m looking at either M Performance for the side skirts, extended rear diffuser & Vorsteiner for the grill. Hard to tell through pictures on websites.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:20 AM   #4
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravitM3 View Post
Nice job! The wheel gap up front looks great, and was much needed I’m having the HAS kit installed once I get my keys. Quick question, which brand of CF side skirts did you go with? How does it match up with OEM? I’m looking at either M Performance for the side skirts, extended rear diffuser & Vorsteiner for the grill. Hard to tell through pictures on websites.
Thanks. My CF is a good fit, but it's a 2x2 weave, the roof is 1x1. 99% people won't notice, but if you had OEM CF package it might be more noticable. Mine are just from a seller on eBay. I couldn't justify the many thousands more I would spend for OEM since it isn't a collector car, or one that I will keep forever.
Appreciate 1
DravitM3104.00
      01-04-2024, 07:46 AM   #5
DravitM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Competition Series

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasB View Post
Thanks. My CF is a good fit, but it's a 2x2 weave, the roof is 1x1. 99% people won't notice, but if you had OEM CF package it might be more noticable. Mine are just from a seller on eBay. I couldn't justify the many thousands more I would spend for OEM since it isn't a collector car, or one that I will keep forever.
Makes a ton of sense, the cost of these aftermarket parts are thru the roof. Enjoy your ride. Can’t wait to have my own play toy soon.
Appreciate 1
NicolasB808.00
      01-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
NicolasB808.00
      01-05-2024, 03:49 PM   #7
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep

Here is a shot after an alignment and about 225 miles on the springs. Definitely a little more settled than right after it was done. I wouldn't want to go any lower than this because I would have to worry about scraping going in and out of parking lots and things. With this, as long as I go at an angle in and out of things, it seems to do pretty well.

At the lowest point of the front lip, there is 4 and 1/2 in of clearance, which is I think the same as my GT350R is with stock suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Game7410.00
      01-08-2024, 09:24 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Looks great. Is that about a one finger gap front and rear?
      01-08-2024, 10:10 PM   #9
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Looks great. Is that about a one finger gap front and rear?
Thanks! 1 at the back, front is about 1.5
Appreciate 1
Game7410.00