BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-24-2024, 10:52 AM   #1
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Post Firestone Firehawk Indy500 vs Michelin and Pirelli OEs.

I’m sure some of you have seen me mention these tires in some posts, but if you haven’t, I decided to go ahead and post a quick TireRack comparison for you. The comparison is against the stock OE tires that BMW will usually stick on these cars. In terms of why I think the Firestones are a great tire in comparison and you guys should try them at least once, especially if you’re xdrive, is because I have run probably at least 5 sets of these in the past, including on my S4 and I know others who have moved to them from Michelins and love them. For the price vs performance, you can’t beat them. Also, for some of you older guys/gals that might think Firestone is shit because of past issues long ago, that’s all gone now. In actuality, these specific tires are only branded as Firestones in the US, everywhere else (eg Japan) they’re Bridgestone.

Anyway, take a look at the PDF and then do your own research, but these tires are really good! The sidewall is much better than the Michelins and there’s none of the bs chunking or bad wear the Michelins have. The treadware is also better than both the Michelins and Pirellis and you’ll get a bit more miles out of them, depending on how you drive. They’re also nice and quiet, all the way down even past the wear indicators. Very neutral control and limits and they don’t scream like crazy beyond the limit either, so if you wanna get a little squirrely, you won’t be calling out too much attention to yourself. About the only negative I’ve found for the sizes on this platform is that they’re a little bit heavier than the other two choices… and you will only have a W rating instead of Y, but most of you are limited to within the max speed of that spec anyway, so it won’t matter.

For those of you who have run them on your past cars or new Ms, please share your thoughts on them so others have more than one person to believe. Lol
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tire Rack - Tire Comparisons.pdf (290.8 KB, 59 views)
Appreciate 3
KevinGS3360.50
Burrcold5324.50
DanoG80Cx278.50
      03-24-2024, 04:22 PM   #2
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

I’m sure these are good tires, but they aren’t in the same class as the stock Pirelli or Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:27 PM   #3
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zccrx View Post
I’m sure these are good tires, but they aren’t in the same class as the stock Pirelli or Michelins.
Lol based on what? They absolutely are in the same class and many people swear by them. The ONLY downside to them is the weight. Please elaborate on why you think they're not in the same league? Just because of a name?
      03-24-2024, 04:49 PM   #4
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

This subject is almost like oil, red heads vs brunettes, etc.

There has been a lot made of the star spec tires being developed with BMW to exploit the maximum potential of the car. Like most things, the manufacturer is playing a balancing act of performance/comfort/longevity, etc.

I think for specific use cases, there can be better tires than the OEM star spec. I think the majority of us fall outside those use cases but once you’ve gone through your original set, there’s no reason to exclude other options.

Take how you drive your car, what’s important to you from a tire and go for it.
Appreciate 2
BRJ1243336.50
Limegrntaln13475.00
      03-24-2024, 05:21 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lol. They are actually better than the Pirellis and only marginally less and I mean by a little bit in terms of traction vs the Michelins. In all actuality, the soft ass sidewalls of the Michelins counter the traction limitations against the Indy500s. If you haven’t used them, you’re not speaking from experience. I’ve had Michelin PSS tires on my S4 and would NEVER run them again vs the Indy500. Considering these are made in the sizes for the M4, it was a no brainder. Will definitely be running these.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:57 PM   #6
mjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp -on order

I ran these on my GTR for awhile and liked them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:22 PM   #7
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Had these on my previous car, will definitely be running them again. You also get more tread with these, 10/32nd compared to 8/32nd with oem pzeros.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:27 PM   #8
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Would these firehawks be considered summer performance tire basically same category as Pzero?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:29 PM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Would these firehawks be considered summer performance tire basically same category as Pzero?
Yes.
      03-24-2024, 08:54 PM   #10
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

They are technically not the same category , ps4s and pz4 are 300 TW “max performance summer” and Indy500 are 340 TW “ultra high performance summer”.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:16 PM   #11
DanoG80Cx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3Cx  [10.00]
I had these on my RS after replacing the PSS with them. I noticed no difference in rain or dry in daily driving and spirited mountain drives. I’d definitely consider them again once it’s time for tires on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:12 AM   #12
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Lol. They are actually better than the Pirellis and only marginally less and I mean by a little bit in terms of traction vs the Michelins. In all actuality, the soft ass sidewalls of the Michelins counter the traction limitations against the Indy500s. If you haven’t used them, you’re not speaking from experience. I’ve had Michelin PSS tires on my S4 and would NEVER run them again vs the Indy500. Considering these are made in the sizes for the M4, it was a no brainder. Will definitely be running these.
Kind of off topic but what S4 did or do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:43 AM   #13
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
Kind of off topic but what S4 did or do you have?
B8
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:16 AM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Lol based on what? They absolutely are in the same class and many people swear by them. The ONLY downside to them is the weight. Please elaborate on why you think they're not in the same league? Just because of a name?
For the ones that already know, we post this video, which explains it all. The BMW Star PS4S and the Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 are completely different tires from the off the shelf PS4S. Its not even the same tire. BMW and Michelin went through 8 test loops with 30 different tire compounds, per axle to come up with the tire that comes on the G8X.

The Star PS4s is a Hybrid PS4s and Sport Cup 2, in the same tire. The PS4S star is tuned specifically for the G8X. The Firehawk is made for however many hundreds of models they can fit the tire on. The Star, is only made for one purpose, and thats specifically for the G8X.

Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      03-25-2024, 06:55 AM   #15
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
For the ones that already know, we post this video, which explains it all. The BMW Star PS4S and the Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 are completely different tires from the off the shelf PS4S. Its not even the same tire. BMW and Michelin went through 8 test loops with 30 different tire compounds, per axle to come up with the tire that comes on the G8X.

The Star PS4s is a Hybrid PS4s and Sport Cup 2, in the same tire. The PS4S star is tuned specifically for the G8X. The Firehawk is made for however many hundreds of models they can fit the tire on. The Star, is only made for one purpose, and thats specifically for the G8X.

I know that. Other tires can still compete with a star rated OEM tire. I'm not sure what your point is. Please don't say that the star rated tire options are the best tires available lol
      03-25-2024, 07:43 AM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
I know that. Other tires can still compete with a star rated OEM tire. I'm not sure what your point is. Please don't say that the star rated tire options are the best tires available lol
The star rated tires are the best OEM sized tires available for the G80. How often do you get to call Michelin, and have them manufacture 30 different compounds for you, you spend 2 and a half years testing them on your car, and then have them mass produce that exact spec for every car you sell? None.

The PS4S Star is 1/2 Cup 2 and half PS4s. Find an off the shelf tire that combines the best of both of those tires into one compound? I have the Yokohama V107 Star on my 1000M wheel set, and I think thats a better, newer design than the PS4S, but, its still a star, and BMW took the time to test compounds to come up with the tire that worked best with their wheel set.

Porsche, Mercedes, Tesla, Audi, and others, have their own specific tires made for their cars. Do you think a standard off the shelf tire is going to perform the same on a 911, when the rear tires on the 911 are designed to spec to be able to perform with the weight of the engine on the rear axle?

Do you mean to tell me that there should be no difference between a tire that goes on the rear axle of a 911 or one that goes on the front steering axle? That'll work for a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Tundra, but its not going to work for a 911, or an M3. The 275/35/19 star is designed for the G8X, where, in that specific size, it has a different outer tread wear compound, than the 285/30/20.

The rear tires don't need a more wear resistant compound on the outer edge of the tire, because, its not getting plowed into a hard corner. The cup 2 rubber is on the outside edge of the front tire, for the weight of the car.

To help stabilize the car in high speed corners. Both the front and rear star tires, the tire carcass and plies are laid in a different pattern, and laid tighter for quicker steering, alleviating the porposing affect, when you jerk the wheel back and forth, in a straight line. The front and rear tires feel connected, and you don't get the feeling where the rear tires are reacting slower, alleviating the feeling of body roll, or the rear fish tailing.

Go with the off the shelf tires, all you want. Just know the tire is the same for a VW Golf as it is for a Corvette C8, as it is for a Honda Civic. All the while BMW spent millions of dollars over 2 and a half years, to develop a tire thats made for the weight, speed, and performance of the G80.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:00 AM   #17
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
The Michelin and Pirelli are max performance and the firestone's are ultra high performance. Again, they are probably not a bad tire, but not in the same category so you can't really compare. Also, you are looking at user reviews for tires in the same class from tire rack and not a comparison test as they won't typically compare tires in different classes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:07 AM   #18
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The star rated tires are the best OEM sized tires available for the G80. How often do you get to call Michelin, and have them manufacture 30 different compounds for you, you spend 2 and a half years testing them on your car, and then have them mass produce that exact spec for every car you sell? None.

The PS4S Star is 1/2 Cup 2 and half PS4s. Find an off the shelf tire that combines the best of both of those tires into one compound? I have the Yokohama V107 Star on my 1000M wheel set, and I think thats a better, newer design than the PS4S, but, its still a star, and BMW took the time to test compounds to come up with the tire that worked best with their wheel set.

Porsche, Mercedes, Tesla, Audi, and others, have their own specific tires made for their cars. Do you think a standard off the shelf tire is going to perform the same on a 911, when the rear tires on the 911 are designed to spec to be able to perform with the weight of the engine on the rear axle?

Do you mean to tell me that there should be no difference between a tire that goes on the rear axle of a 911 or one that goes on the front steering axle? That'll work for a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Tundra, but its not going to work for a 911, or an M3. The 275/35/19 star is designed for the G8X, where, in that specific size, it has a different outer tread wear compound, than the 285/30/20.

The rear tires don't need a more wear resistant compound on the outer edge of the tire, because, its not getting plowed into a hard corner. The cup 2 rubber is on the outside edge of the front tire, for the weight of the car.

To help stabilize the car in high speed corners. Both the front and rear star tires, the tire carcass and plies are laid in a different pattern, and laid tighter for quicker steering, alleviating the porposing affect, when you jerk the wheel back and forth, in a straight line. The front and rear tires feel connected, and you don't get the feeling where the rear tires are reacting slower, alleviating the feeling of body roll, or the rear fish tailing.

Go with the off the shelf tires, all you want. Just know the tire is the same for a VW Golf as it is for a Corvette C8, as it is for a Honda Civic. All the while BMW spent millions of dollars over 2 and a half years, to develop a tire thats made for the weight, speed, and performance of the G80.
Again, I know the difference between the star rated tire and the non-star rated tire (of the same brand/model). And again, MY opinion is that there are many times better alternatives of other brands/models of tires..."off the shelf" if want to call them that, that perform as good or better. There's a reason why other tires exist. Do what you want though, and stick to only the star rated tires for your car. Totally your call. I'll go aftermarket if I choose and I guess go skidding off the side of the road.
      03-25-2024, 08:15 AM   #19
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The Michelin and Pirelli are max performance and the firestone's are ultra high performance. Again, they are probably not a bad tire, but not in the same category so you can't really compare. Also, you are looking at user reviews for tires in the same class from tire rack and not a comparison test as they won't typically compare tires in different classes.
There are tires that cross over on those definitions. Not to mention, you have to consider the intended use. For the average G8x user, they would be cross-shopped regardless of a silly category (that's really splitting hairs). I've seen people buy one brand over another and run faster lap times...irrespective of categorized silos.
      03-25-2024, 08:56 AM   #20
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I have no advice to add to the discussion that has risen from this post, but I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for posting your personal experience with this tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:16 AM   #21
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

You do realize this is the same argument people make when they say "why do you tune a car, BMW engineers know better than the aftermarket" right?

BMW optimized the star spec tires for what THEY want to see out of a tire. Does that mean it's the best at anything? No. Does that mean it's the best for what I want to use it for? No.

I appreciate the star spec tires are a better match for BMW's original set of parameters that they set the car up with.

Also, here is TR's test for the Firehawk Indy. I'm not super impressed with what I see:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=235

I'm more likely to go with the Conti's over the Michelin when I ditch the Pirelli. I may stick with the gold standard Michelins, but only if I went star spec as the generic version gets beat by the Contis here. Plus I have an exceptional history with Contis on other cars.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=317

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-25-2024 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:24 AM   #22
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You do realize this is the same argument people make when they say "why do you tune a car, BMW engineers know better than the aftermarket" right?

BMW optimized the star spec tires for what THEY want to see out of a tire. Does that mean it's the best at anything? No. Does that mean it's the best for what I want to use it for? No.

I appreciate the star spec tires are a better match for BMW's original set of parameters that they set the car up with.
Not to mention that they also developed TWO different star spec tires for the same platform, that are largely an entirely different tire design from one another. So which is best? Surely they didn't spend all this money to determine that there are in fact *gasp* different ideas of what is considered the "best"!