BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-18-2023, 04:20 PM   #133
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by godunovs65 View Post
Thanks! My head started to hurt when I read your reason #2. Even in Virginia I have to keep that screen closed in the winter. The glass is ice cold to touch. Interestingly enough, I don't track any cars and I want a metal roof for safety reasons too. Metal doesn't crack as eagerly as CF. Glass shatters though. A solid metal roof would be the safest probably.
BMW does state in their doc. Although not that many G80/82 owners will drive their cars above 155 mph, but why take the chance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MT6729.50
      12-18-2023, 08:40 PM   #134
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Thanks! My head started to hurt when I read your reason #2. Even in Virginia I have to keep that screen closed in the winter. The glass is ice cold to touch. Interestingly enough, I don't track any cars and I want a metal roof for safety reasons too. Metal doesn't crack as eagerly as CF. Glass shatters though. A solid metal roof would be the safest probably.
Hey, I'm in Centreville as well!
I specced my M4 with a sunroof because I love the functionality of it. Yeah, the carbon fiber roof looks amazing, but in this case, function over form won me over. I've only had my car less than 2 weeks and I've used the sunroof daily, even on cold days. I love having the cool air above while running the heater at the same time. I do plan to track it eventually, but just casually, so weight savings mean absolutely nothing to me. Plus, if I really wanted to, I could just get the roof wrapped in CF if I wanted the aesthetic value of it.

Last edited by showmatic; 12-18-2023 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2023, 09:02 PM   #135
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL at the sunroof maybe saving my life. Hmmm... I can't argue with that.

And yes, love my sunroof. I rarely close the shade (closed only to block the sun on hot, summer days), and I never do during the winter. I love all the light filtering in from above.

And yes, most people, even enthusiasts, think I have a carbon roof, and then some realize I have a sunroof and go, "Hey, wait a minute? Do they make C/F roofs with sunroofs now?" The wrap looks quite authentic.

When I bought my car, I drove straight to A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD - aplusautostyling.com - an hour away, in the right lane, under the speed limit, keeping like 10 car lengths in front when possible (more if there was a truck) ...to have my full front PPF completed, and they tinted my windows. And then they recommended the carbon fiber wrap on the roof, to match all my other C/F factory bits. They had an R8 in the shop with the same wrap and I was indeed impressed. They said they could always pull it off if I didn't like it, but I ended up really liking it.

Looking back, I wish I would have skipped the entire ceramic package and had them PPF the whole car instead. The doors and rear fenders get unavoidable rock chips as well, especially if you get spacers...and sometimes the rocks fly in from other passing cars and trucks when they hit a bump or something. But I digress....

If you like sunroofs, get the sunroof...

Do you know how much it was just for the CF roof wrap?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 05:38 AM   #136
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
I don't track any cars and I want a metal roof for safety reasons too. Metal doesn't crack as eagerly as CF. Glass shatters though. A solid metal roof would be the safest probably.
More incentive to keep the tires on the road.

I used to spec. a sun/moon roof in all of my previous cars. I never have windows down or the roof open as I dislike dust and dirt coming into the car interior. I did figure that they would let more light into the car but I disliked the extra wind noise (even with them closed) so I always had the solid sliding cover closed all the time to cut down on the noise. I decided over time that I was wasting my money on all the extra hardware. Seems others feel the same because they seem to be going the way of vinyl roofs. They are disappearing from a lot of option lists. I was surprised to even see one offered on the M cars. I guess there are still people who like to stand up while they are driving.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #137
godunovs65
Private
Rep
Drives: Infiniti, G37S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post

I used to spec. a sun/moon roof in all of my previous cars. I never have windows down or the roof open as I dislike dust and dirt coming into the car interior. I did figure that they would let more light into the car but I disliked the extra wind noise (even with them closed) so I always had the solid sliding cover closed all the time to cut down on the noise. I decided over time that I was wasting my money on all the extra hardware. Seems others feel the same because they seem to be going the way of vinyl roofs. They are disappearing from a lot of option lists. I was surprised to even see one offered on the M cars. I guess there are still people who like to stand up while they are driving.
I didn't think about the extra noise even with the sunroof closed. I would like less noise to interfere with the music while driving at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmatic View Post
Hey, I'm in Centreville as well!
I specced my M4 with a sunroof because I love the functionality of it. Yeah, the carbon fiber roof looks amazing, but in this case, function over form won me over. I've only had my car less than 2 weeks and I've used the sunroof daily, even on cold days. I love having the cool air above while running the heater at the same time. I do plan to track it eventually, but just casually, so weight savings mean absolutely nothing to me. Plus, if I really wanted to, I could just get the roof wrapped in CF if I wanted the aesthetic value of it.
Nice! Did you order from Fairfax? If you want tint, PPF or wrap, go to Contour Tinting in Chantilly. They are the best. I've been taking all my cars there since 2004. Tim is the owner and he does everything.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/contour-tinting-chantilly
Appreciate 2
turbojg353.50
showmatic152.50
      12-19-2023, 10:59 AM   #138
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post

I wish I am sixteen again and like you said, standing up while I am driving. Face the true, I barely able to get out of the bucket seats lol.
Appreciate 1
turbojg353.50
      12-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #139
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't think about the extra noise even with the sunroof closed. I would like less noise to interfere with the music while driving at highway speeds.

Nice! Did you order from Fairfax? If you want tint, PPF or wrap, go to Contour Tinting in Chantilly. They are the best. I've been taking all my cars there since 2004. Tim is the owner and he does everything.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/contour-tinting-chantilly
Yep, I did order mine through Fairfax. I was lucky enough to get an allocation the day I walked in. I've already had ceramic XPEL XR tint installed through Detail Authority, but I'll check out your recommendation should I need any PPF or wrap done. I had 70% tint done on the sunroof and I can keep the shade open and get plenty of sun without it bothering me (Although I can't speak for bald people, lol).
Appreciate 2
Jim B1897.50
      12-19-2023, 09:54 PM   #140
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Do you know how much it was just for the CF roof wrap?
I do not, mine was part of a full-front PPF package deal.

But you can call A-Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hills, MD and ask them...and you can mention "Kevin's dark blue G82 with the sunroof" if they need a jogging of the memory. Ask for Tim.
Appreciate 1
showmatic152.50
      12-19-2023, 10:00 PM   #141
ErikJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

GT3 and GT3RS have no option for one.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:00 AM   #142
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ1 View Post
That's because the GT3RS' roof is FAR more exotic. It's magnesium, with reinforcing ribs to make it more rigid. It's also tunable to reduce resonance, which is important, since pretty much all the sound insulation has been cut to shave weight.

The 991.1 RS cars were the first production vehicles to ever feature a magnesium body panel. If they had wanted a CF roof, they absolutely could have done one. After all, nearly all of the body panels are already CFRP.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:01 AM   #143
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I did order mine through Fairfax. I was lucky enough to get an allocation the day I walked in. I've already had ceramic XPEL XR tint installed through Detail Authority, but I'll check out your recommendation should I need any PPF or wrap done. I had 70% tint done on the sunroof and I can keep the shade open and get plenty of sun without it bothering me (Although I can't speak for bald people, lol).
Congratulations on your new car! Fairfax do have allocations available, even on M2. Sterling have a waiting list for all M2/3/4. The M4 list is relatively short. If the two guys in front of me bail out, I'll be alone to get that allocation. You were right to get the sunroof tinted. I never did I can feel the heat. I'm not completely bald, but I'm working on it.
Appreciate 1
showmatic152.50
      12-20-2023, 06:03 AM   #144
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Magnificent cars. If there's no option it is very easy to decide. Two problems. No manual transmission and slight budgetary constraints.
Appreciate 1
ErikJ1421.00
      12-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #145
ErikJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

Quote:
Magnificent cars. If there's no option it is very easy to decide. Two problems. No manual transmission and slight budgetary constraints.
A guy on my street has a new RS, that is purple with orange accents. The pdk transmission is insane...you can barely hear the upshifts they are do quick. The car is so stiff, when he backs out of the driveway and over the little drainage dip ditch..the pax front tire stays in the air as it back over it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #146
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Lol. People buy a 2 ton car and can actually say with a straight face that they didn’t get the sunroof for the weight
You should ask the people why they spend the extra $$$$ for the CLS version of G8x
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:26 PM   #147
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
A guy on my street has a new RS, that is purple with orange accents. The pdk transmission is insane...you can barely hear the upshifts they are do quick. The car is so stiff, when he backs out of the driveway and over the little drainage dip ditch..the pax front tire stays in the air as it back over it
That's crazy stiff! That's a street legal race car for sure. I wonder if that suspension is electronically adjusted to be comfortable enough for long drives. Super stiff all the time will make your neck hurt on bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #148
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
You should ask the people why they spend the extra $$$$ for the CLS version of G8x
Because they can. CLS doesn't even have a center armrest and seats are not even ventilated. I just saw a local ad, a guy is selling his M3 CLS with under 1000 miles. He says he needs an armrest and seat ventilation. And he did the full PPF and tint. That's another "why"
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1562.50
      12-20-2023, 06:16 PM   #149
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because they can. CLS doesn't even have a center armrest and seats are not even ventilated. I just saw a local ad, a guy is selling his M3 CLS with under 1000 miles. He says he needs an armrest and seat ventilation. And he did the full PPF and tint. That's another "why"
It all come down to what the people are buying the car for. Are they just want an expensive BMW to show off or are they really know what they are buying. I am a big fan of BMW and I know exactly what I get from the specific model of BMW. I was on the other BMW forum the other day, the OP was complaining her G80 performed so bad when braking in snow even with winter tires. I ask her is it your first 500+ hp and weight almost 4000 lbs of car you drive in your life. The answers were yes. What can I say!!! Go and join a winter driving course.

Last edited by eugenebmw; 12-20-2023 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:48 PM   #150
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
That's crazy stiff! That's a street legal race car for sure. I wonder if that suspension is electronically adjusted to be comfortable enough for long drives. Super stiff all the time will make your neck hurt on bumps.
That wheel in the air comes from a combination of short suspension travel and body stiffness, not chassis stiffness.

The new RS has enough suspension settings that turned full soft, it rides smoother than a regular GT3.
Appreciate 1
Jobe10181.00
      12-20-2023, 08:04 PM   #151
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
It all come down to what the people are buying the car for. Are they just want an expensive BMW to show off or are they really know what they are buying. I am a big fan of BMW and I know exactly what I get from the specific model of BMW. I was on the other BMW forum the other day, the OP was complaining her G80 performed so bad when braking in snow even with winter tires. I ask her is it your first 500+ hp and weight almost 4000 lbs of car you drive in your life. The answers were yes. What can I say!!! Go and join a winter driving course.
The guy from the ad looked like an heir with all the money to blow. Selling a car after 800 miles because he didn't know it didn't have an armrest. You're serious about your cars.
The snow driving complaints about a car that had been designed to drive in any condition are laughable. I'm sure you and many others can drive faster and in a controllable manner to bypass SUVs in a blizzard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That wheel in the air comes from a combination of short suspension travel and body stiffness, not chassis stiffness.

The new RS has enough suspension settings that turned full soft, it rides smoother than a regular GT3.
I'm sure it's a marvel of technology. First, we need to acquire a house on A1A. Then the GT3 will come along nicely.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1562.50
      12-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #152
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
That's because the GT3RS' roof is FAR more exotic. It's magnesium, with reinforcing ribs to make it more rigid. It's also tunable to reduce resonance, which is important, since pretty much all the sound insulation has been cut to shave weight.

The 991.1 RS cars were the first production vehicles to ever feature a magnesium body panel. If they had wanted a CF roof, they absolutely could have done one. After all, nearly all of the body panels are already CFRP.
The magnesium roof is easier to manufacture (less steps and easier to paint) and actually costs less than a CFRP roof. While it's lighter, one can say the CFRP roof looks cooler and is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #153
SheBMW
T R O U B L E
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4CX

Garage List
Sunroof always. I have had a sunroof in all my cars since the early 90's and would be miserable without one. Unless it's raining or snowing mine is always open. I like the fresh air without having to worry about my long hair blowing all over the place.
Appreciate 5
tatarwj390.00
MT6729.50
tju213.50
KevinGS3369.50
      12-22-2023, 07:46 PM   #154
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBMW View Post
Sunroof always. I have had a sunroof in all my cars since the early 90's and would be miserable without one. Unless it's raining or snowing mine is always open. I like the fresh air without having to worry about my long hair blowing all over the place.
I'm bald, but still use my sunroof all the time... though mostly to tilt to let a little air in, or just to have sunshine streaming in. I rarely open it unless I'm in the city and driving under like 40 mph most of the time.
Appreciate 2
SheBMW232.00