BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-11-2024, 06:23 PM   #45
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Then you don't have ASD fully decoded.

The button does absolutely nothing if you do, it just controls engine timing to add/remove burbles.
Oh, wow...so all this time, I thought I had it coded it off, but I was never really sure. Guess not!

I'll reach out to Bimmercode to see if they can assist me.

But hec, after coding, if exhaust "on" is going to be just the volume level with the button "off" in quiet mode for me right now simply with added burbles, it's going to be awfully quiet. NOW I see why everyone desperately wants more interior cabin sound once the ASD is coded off (correctly ). With no ASD, a midpipe and a valve controller is mandatory if you want some additional sound. Those burbles won't be enough.

Oh, but I think I'm forgetting that we will get additional volume from the valves being opened with the use of Sport Plus, so then you get burbles plus valves opened. And I guess that may sound nice, though not that loud from inside the car. Now it makes sense why having the valves FULLY opened with a valve controller makes a significant difference, with ASD coded off.

Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:14 PM   #46
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Oh, wow...so all this time, I thought I had it coded it off, but I was never really sure. Guess not!

I'll reach out to Bimmercode to see if they can assist me.

But hec, after coding, if exhaust "on" is going to be just the volume level with the button "off" in quiet mode for me right now simply with added burbles, it's going to be awfully quiet. NOW I see why everyone desperately wants more interior cabin sound once the ASD is coded off (correctly ). With no ASD, a midpipe and a valve controller is mandatory if you want some additional sound. Those burbles won't be enough.

Oh, but I think I'm forgetting that we will get additional volume from the valves being opened with the use of Sport Plus, so then you get burbles plus valves opened. And I guess that may sound nice, though not that loud from inside the car. Now it makes sense why having the valves FULLY opened with a valve controller makes a significant difference, with ASD coded off.

Interesting...
All that you should need to do is change "Active Sound Design" to off, code that, then go back into the RAM and at the bottom there's an "Activation Codes" button, tap on ASD code in there, and click deactivate. Then code again if necessary. Those will completely deactivate ASD, your center console button is now a burbles button.
Appreciate 2
Wardy8258.50
      03-11-2024, 10:07 PM   #47
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
All that you should need to do is change "Active Sound Design" to off, code that, then go back into the RAM and at the bottom there's an "Activation Codes" button, tap on ASD code in there, and click deactivate. Then code again if necessary. Those will completely deactivate ASD, your center console button is now a burbles button.
I had it coded it off early way back in 2021, using the Test Flight, and I never knew if it really worked since I couldn't tell much of a difference. But tonight I finally found the Activation Code and deactivated it, and OMG! What a difference!

As you said, now the console button is just a burbles button, I love it! It sounds so serene now without the sound being piped in, as ASD almost gives the car a drone with the exhaust button on at some RPMs.

Time to get a valve controller to give me a bit more volume, and I think I'm good.

Many thanks for all the insight (and your patience) across multiple threads, Berz, it finally sunk it what you were saying.
Appreciate 1
Berzerker2629.50
      03-11-2024, 11:28 PM   #48
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I had it coded it off early way back in 2021, using the Test Flight, and I never knew if it really worked since I couldn't tell much of a difference. But tonight I finally found the Activation Code and deactivated it, and OMG! What a difference!

As you said, now the console button is just a burbles button, I love it! It sounds so serene now without the sound being piped in, as ASD almost gives the car a drone with the exhaust button on at some RPMs.

Time to get a valve controller to give me a bit more volume, and I think I'm good.

Many thanks for all the insight (and your patience) across multiple threads, Berz, it finally sunk it what you were saying.
I couldn't really tell from your posts, but single midpipe, with stock axleback and downpipes + a valve controller is the absolute sweet spot for volume with this car. Can make it loud with the valve controller or make it silent in comfort/valves closed.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3282.50
      03-12-2024, 12:21 PM   #49
G80_Bob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Then you don't have ASD fully decoded.

The button does absolutely nothing if you do, it just controls engine timing to add/remove burbles.
Confirmed the button opens and closes the valves in Sport and Sport plus. Happy to keep that functionality, hence the increase in volume
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:52 AM   #50
BmwFanBoy94
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80_Bob View Post
Confirmed the button opens and closes the valves in Sport and Sport plus. Happy to keep that functionality, hence the increase in volume
When you turn off the button does it disable M1/M2 mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:56 AM   #51
BmwFanBoy94
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
I can’t tell you exactly what the button is fully designed to do but I can tell you my experience with my current setup which is:
1) ASD coded off via bimmercode
2) valves full open with Dahler controller
3) MAD mid pipe

I went through several incremental stages of experimenting with this exhaust system. I started out with the Dahler controller so that I could have full control of the flaps. Then I moved to coding ASD fully off with bimmer code — which when done correctly is pretty obvious because the exhaust is significantly less prominent even when the valves are fully opened with the Dahler unit. Those changes were subtle enough that I was still unable to fully grasp what the hell the button was doing.

Once I installed my MAD mid pipe, the effects of the button were easier to observe and, therefore, much more clear. With a mid pipe, valve controller, and ASD coded off, it is now clear that the button only acts as a toggle switch for burbles.

ASD button on = lots of burbles.
ASD button off = zero burbles.

Personally I am unable to perceive any difference in volume.

Exact same issue with me.

I have the Leib can exhaust pro and I can hardly tell a difference between fully open and closed when under load with an AA EL installed. In my f82 it was very easy to tell however I did have Downpipes on that car.

Had me wondering if the exhaust control unit is actually working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:14 AM   #52
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
When you turn off the button does it disable M1/M2 mode?
There is no M1/M2 mode. Those buttons are merely presets. Instead of radio stations, they change various settings to match what you set the button to. Anytime you independently change one of the settings that the M1/M2 buttons can store, the M1/M2 icon disappears to denote that your current settings are not the same as your set of presets. That doesn’t mean some “mode” is disabled. The only modes are M-modes that only change when you press the m mode button near the gear selector.

So, in this case, yes, if you’ve selected M1 as an example, then press the sound control button, the M1 icon disappears. Again, all that means is now at least one parameter is different than you have configured for M1 (sound control). All other settings stay the same.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:45 AM   #53
BmwFanBoy94
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
There is no M1/M2 mode. Those buttons are merely presets. Instead of radio stations, they change various settings to match what you set the button to. Anytime you independently change one of the settings that the M1/M2 buttons can store, the M1/M2 icon disappears to denote that your current settings are not the same as your set of presets. That doesn’t mean some “mode” is disabled. The only modes are M-modes that only change when you press the m mode button near the gear selector.

So, in this case, yes, if you’ve selected M1 as an example, then press the sound control button, the M1 icon disappears. Again, all that means is now at least one parameter is different than you have configured for M1 (sound control). All other settings stay the same.
I know that….

What I meant to ask was does it disable sport/sport+ mode when you turn off exhaust button.

My presets for M1 is sport as is the case for 90% of M owners. When I press the exhaust button off, M1 is instantly disabled as shown in the cluster so I’m assuming it’s disabling sports mode also. In my f82 with the awron I could close the valves and still run sports/sports+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:52 AM   #54
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know that….

What I meant to ask was does it disable sport/sport+ mode when you turn off exhaust button.

My presets for M1 is sport as is the case for 90% of M owners. When I press the exhaust button off, M1 is instantly disabled as shown in the cluster so I’m assuming it’s disabling sports mode also. In my f82 with the awron I could close the valves and still run sports/sports+ mode.
It’s not disabled, my response stands. Why don’t you try it and verify I’m correct. The icon disappearing means one setting changed, in this case, sound control. That’s it.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #55
BmwFanBoy94
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
It’s not disabled, my response stands. Why don’t you try it and verify I’m correct. The icon disappearing means one setting changed, in this case, sound control. That’s it.
Is there sound control settings within the M1/M2 pre set paramiters?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #56
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there sound control settings within the M1/M2 pre set paramiters?
Yes
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 01:46 PM   #57
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know that….

If you change literally any drive mode config, press auto stop/start, or the M sound exhaust button, it will clear the M1/M2 icon since it's different than your full M1/M2 setup. The annoying thing is it won't bring the icon back if you then go back to your exact setup manually. It won't disable anything else from your M1/M2 setup, it'll just clear the icon. The only way to bring the icon back is to hit M1/M2 again, even if it doesn't change anything.
Appreciate 1