BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: Are you installing PPF on your new G80/82?
Full wrap 83 27.30%
Partial coverage 146 48.03%
Nope 75 24.67%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

07-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #133
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
So I finally got a partial wrap on my car. Front bumper, rockers, rear fender area and full hood. My experience though with installers in my area has been less than stellar. I have to take the car back because they forgot to do a part of the car and then there was a big hair underneath a part of the bumper that they will be replacing and both black area's of the rockers are getting re-done because there is a scratch or glue on both sides. I was hesitant on doing this anyways and it's frustrating when it turns out like this. I do admit that I feel better having the area's covered now but it's a lot of money to not turn out the way you want it.

The other place I dealt with I had 3 different quotes from 3 different persons and all of them had a different idea on how everything worked and when I finally had enough and questioned them and they never got back with me. They used Expel and the place I ultimately went with uses Lumar.

Hopefully I will get taken care of properly and there trying to make it right for me but I can't help but think maybe I should have just saved my money. I just want to drive and enjoy the car and stuff like this just stresses me out. Anyone else have issues with install with there PPF?
I feel for you. I had to bring my new (at the time) 911 C4S back twice (Porsche dealer sent it out). There were pieces of green rag or something under the xPel, a hair and some other lint pieces in a few areas. My M5 was fine (local xPel installer)
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1290.00
      07-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #134
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Mine is definitely less than perfect, but it's tiny stuff no one aside from me would notice, and they were several thousand cheaper than alternatives, so I figure it's not all bad.

As an aside though - good move getting the rockers done. I paid extra to have them done and am so glad I did. With a quick wash they look flawless again every time. Even if you weren't doing the rest of the car I'd recommend everyone does the rockers. No idea who decided to make them gloss black, but they win asshole of the year.
I notice EVERYTHING and then can't unsee it.. It drives me bananas but I'm working on it!! Still waiting on my G82, but it's Tanzanite BM so the rockers and grilles blend in more.

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 07:28 AM   #135
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman4517 View Post
Yeah, it's a crap shoot. I had full xPel done on both my '16 RS5 and my '19 911 C4S (+ceramic). The '21 M5 Comp was leased (wasn't sure on buying back and only had the front bumper headlights, mirrors and ceramic.

I'm so anal about my cars and the areas on the hood where the rock hit tore and bunched up the ppf drove me bananas. You can't unsee them once you see it. For the M5 Comp, Dr. Colorchip hid 95% of them and well (MBB Metallic).

My G82 Compx (TBM) is at the port and pondering what to do this time around. I'm buying this one (leases are brutal) planning on doing ceramic, plus ppf the full bumper, laserlights, mirrors and rockers and tint, but on the fence about that bikini partial hood and fenders piece. It's such a dark color so that line should show dirt like on AW., plus will most likely pass on that. Another thing to irk you!

Decisions, decisions
I personally wouldn't do the bikini on the hood. I thought about that as well but have seen a few cars with it and could immediately tell and trying to keep that edge clean would bother me. But in the end we have to do what's best for our situation. Good luck! It's never easy.
Appreciate 1
eman45171720.00
      07-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #136
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I personally wouldn't do the bikini on the hood. I thought about that as well but have seen a few cars with it and could immediately tell and trying to keep that edge clean would bother me. But in the end we have to do what's best for our situation. Good luck! It's never easy.
Thanks, yeah decided against the bikini. Came to my senses shortly after posting. Good luck to you as well!

Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1290.00