Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-18-2022, 10:34 AM   #441
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
This controller is officially junk, there should be a stop sale on these, why do vendors keep selling these?
Because people keep buying them... I swear, CG must be paying BMS a piece of every sale under some agreement to keep from adding valve control to JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #442
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Did it come with any instructions or did you watch any video to guide you through the process? I have very little faith in the VSC-2 I have.
I've had my Dinan on for a week now and I k ow it's not enough time to determine the reliability but it's been working like clock work.
https://youtu.be/0mP23yA9O1s
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
iviegatron2543.50
      12-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #443
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I've had my Dinan on for a week now and I k ow it's not enough time to determine the reliability but it's been working like clock work.
https://youtu.be/0mP23yA9O1s

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3568.50
      12-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #444
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
🤣 the Megatron one... I wondered what was up with that. Hadn't tried to link to my homelink yet. Doent work?
The old remote won't because when you leave the button pressed it only blinks once. The newer advertised remote continue to blink when button is pressed, so I assume homelink would pick that one up.

I am not too happy with the product honestly.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #445
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Because people keep buying them... I swear, CG must be paying BMS a piece of every sale under some agreement to keep from adding valve control to JB4.
This needs to be a thing, why haven't we gotten valve control for JB4... Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #446
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Mike serious question, why are you guys still selling this unreliable controller? You're clearly seeing all the failures on the forum, why not just stop selling it and tell CG to get their act together and fix the darn thing properly.
Appreciate 2
Froz3n_M399.50
Sp2pilot170.00
      12-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #447
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froz3n_M View Post
The old remote won't because when you leave the button pressed it only blinks once. The newer advertised remote continue to blink when button is pressed, so I assume homelink would pick that one up.

I am not too happy with the product honestly.
So far I'm happy that it's working. I would prefer the newer remote but my valves stay open mostly. I turn it iff when my wife gets in the car or someti es in the morning when I just want quite. By he way, I pointed it at my wife and it did not work on her either. 🤣😳
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
Froz3n_M399.50
      12-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #448
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Mike serious question, why are you guys still selling this unreliable controller? You're clearly seeing all the failures on the forum, why not just stop selling it and tell CG to get their act together and fix the darn thing properly.
We offer this product and a couple of other valve controllers; we also post all reviews so customers can make an educated decision on which product to get.

Making a product unavailable is not my decision as a vendor; it's the manufacturer's decision.

I can remove the product from my website.

Removing a product from our website is not a decision that we take lightly, as it's not as simple as you think.

In most cases, removing one product means removing the entire brand forever.

We are keeping a close eye on the situation, and it's an ongoing discussion we are having with CG to fix the problem.

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 12-20-2022 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
SetAlias223.50
      12-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #449
G-Breazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Grandmarquis 92, X6 21

Just wanted to add a positive experience. I’ve had my controller almost 4 months now and it’s been working flawlessly. I live in Canada so it is cold outside now, and I do park in the garage every day if that makes a difference. But when I got the controller in September it was quite hot outside still. But bottom line it seems to be handling hot and cold temps. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself but I’m happy so far with it haha.

On another note, the garage that installed my catless downpipes told me that they had installed the same valve controller on an M5 the week before and it only worked for 3 days before breaking. So I was kind of worried how long mine would last, but so far so good!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #450
khalua80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post
Just wanted to add a positive experience. I’ve had my controller almost 4 months now and it’s been working flawlessly. I live in Canada so it is cold outside now, and I do park in the garage every day if that makes a difference. But when I got the controller in September it was quite hot outside still. But bottom line it seems to be handling hot and cold temps. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself but I’m happy so far with it haha.

On another note, the garage that installed my catless downpipes told me that they had installed the same valve controller on an M5 the week before and it only worked for 3 days before breaking. So I was kind of worried how long mine would last, but so far so good!
Same here...Installed for 4 months and no issues hopefully that continues if not i'll go another route but for now I'm satisified with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #451
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalua80 View Post
Same here...Installed for 4 months and no issues hopefully that continues if not i'll go another route but for now I'm satisified with it.
I did not have any problems with my VSC controller either.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #452
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

I just spoke to the owner of CG Precision again, and he took me through the last batch of returns one by one and shared all the test results.

1- the VSC-2 has been on the market for eight years, and the failure has never been this high, not even close.

2- the vast majority of the returns are G8x. The main difference between G8x and other platforms is the mounting location of the controller.

3-Most of the returns have been damaged due to vibration caused by the controller installed on the exhaust. The controller needs to be installed on the body of the car, or else it's a matter of time before it fails.

4- Similar to any other product, some controllers be defective and fail even if mounted correctly. Still, from CG testing, the install location is by far the most significant factor regarding the controller's reliability.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-20 144528.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  115.6 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:39 PM   #453
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just spoke to the owner of CG Precision again, and he took me through the last batch of returns one by one and shared all the test results.

1- the VSC-2 has been on the market for eight years, and the failure has never been this high, not even close.

2- the vast majority of the returns are G8x. The main difference between G8x and other platforms is the mounting location of the controller.

3-Most of the returns have been damaged due to vibration caused by the controller installed on the exhaust. The controller needs to be installed on the body of the car, or else it's a matter of time before it fails.

4- Similar to any other product, some controllers be defective and fail even if mounted correctly. Still, from CG testing, the install location is by far the most significant factor regarding the controller's reliability.

Attachment 3060219
Bullshit. Both units I've had were mounted to the chassis, not on the exhaust. They both exhibited the same defect. Not buying it for a minute. Just more damage control. But just to entertain this, how many people in this thread who have had the unit fail had it mounted on the actual exhaust?
Appreciate 1
Sp2pilot170.00
      12-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #454
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bullshit. Both units I've had were mounted to the chassis, not on the exhaust. They both exhibited the same defect. Not buying it for a minute. Just more damage control. But just to entertain this, how many people in this thread who have had the unit fail had it mounted on the exhaust?
I don't see the point of CG lying when this is costing them so much money in repairs and returns

As mentioned above, there might be some failure due to other causes like any other product, but from CG's testing, the installation is the leading cause.
If installed correctly, the failure rate will be drastically reduced.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #455
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

So mine has worked fine for months now. If it does fail, will the valves just stay open all the time as that is my default setting?
      12-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #456
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3cx

Mine was to the exhaust as I had an early model that didn't fit on any other bolt. It supposedly failed from water damage though, not vibration. Sending me a new unit that will be installed properly so no excuse if fails again.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #457
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't see the point of CG lying when this is costing them so much money in repairs and returns

As mentioned above, there might be some failure due to other causes like any other product, but from CG's testing, the installation is the leading cause.
The point would be to deflect from taking responsibility (blame customers to save face) while they work to solve the real problem (design flaw, poor workmanship, or shitty EEE parts). Shitty cheap parts is my guess. All the COVID supply chain issues have dramatically raised the costs and lead times for even the most basic passive parts like resistors and capacitors. To keep costs down they probably started sourcing parts from a different vendor, or their parts vendor did. Bottom line, somewhere in the supply chain the parts quality/reliability took a nose dive, and this is not a company with the experience/resources to detect or correct that with any efficiency.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2574.00
MMM.PWR3453.50
      12-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #458
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The point would be to deflect from taking responsibility (blame customers to save face) while they work to solve the real problem (design flaw, poor workmanship, or shitty EEE parts). Shitty cheap parts is my guess. All the COVID supply chain issues have dramatically raised the costs and lead times for even the most basic passive parts like resistors and capacitors. To keep costs down they probably started sourcing parts from a different vendor, or their parts vendor did. Bottom line, somewhere in the supply chain the parts quality/reliability took a nose dive, and this is not a company with the experience/resources to detect or correct that with any efficiency.
Maybe but in my opinion, you are overthinking this and making it a bigger deal than it is.

here is why,

1- returns and repairs cost them a lot of money and damage their reputation.
I don't see why they would offer a solution knowing it won't help when they must keep repairing the units and covering all the shipping costs. What's their benefit in this?

Once you calculate the cost of the parts, CG's labor and time, the vendor's profit, and endless shipping costs to keep replacing the failed units, I doubt CG is making any money from the units if they keep failing

2- If what you are saying is true, the failure rate would be high on all platforms, not just the G8x, since the controller is identical for all platforms.

Im not saying you are wrong; I don't know. But from all the evidence provided, your scenario does not sound like the most likely one.

We'll have to wait and see.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:59 AM   #459
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac3331 View Post
Mine was to the exhaust as I had an early model that didn't fit on any other bolt. It supposedly failed from water damage though, not vibration. Sending me a new unit that will be installed properly so no excuse if fails again.
Make sure you do not install it to the exhaust and please report back either way.

I went with Walter (CG's owner) over your unit as well, yours is the only exception I believe.

Appreciate 1
SetAlias223.50
      12-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #460
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
So mine has worked fine for months now. If it does fail, will the valves just stay open all the time as that is my default setting?
I would think if it fails, it would be stuck at the last working position and not necessarily the default one

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #461
blackops23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
2023 M3 Jahre  [10.00]
2019 X3M40i  [9.67]
Quote:

I ordered and received mine back in July/August. Good to know about install location. Will be installing this next week with exhaust since I finally got the car. Hope mine is not one of the “old” units and functions properly for a least awhile…
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 10:20 AM   #462
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops23 View Post
I ordered and received mine back in July/August. Good to know about install location. Will be installing this next week with exhaust since I finally got the car. Hope mine is not one of the “old” units and functions properly for a least awhile…
As far as I know, the units have not been changed.

Please use the user guide to install it properly and report back in a month

Appreciate 1