BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #155
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
Anybody height adjusted their full buckets yet? Really curious if you can achieve any tilt, for example the rear side mounts in lowest position and the fronts in a higher position. Or anything else noteworthy about the adjustability - do they slide back as far as the M carbon seats , etc.

My understanding is that they can only go up or down in 3 graduations
On autopnl's review, they said it's only 2 levels of height adjustment.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #156
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Welp, I passed mine onto my friend. I explained my situation to the dealership of temp ownership (9 months). I was going to then trade in on the GT4 RS in June 2023.

Since being the first owner is important, we decided to just give it to him now.

My dealership is simply the best. They will always have my business and got another customer to boot.

The good thing is I get to store it in my warehouse until he makes room in his. I told him no rush

She was unloaded at Brunswick GA yesterday and we are hoping he takes delivery mid October. Deliver at BMW Performance center. Maybe the only one? It's a special delivery and he is friends with everyone down there already. Good times ahead.

I'll miss not owning it but come June 2023, I'll feel a little better.
ScullyD5165.50
IMG1122.00
      09-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #157
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Hmm, it appears to be in the middle position and he comments about the next lower one but you can see three holes/slots. Hard to see the rear though.
      09-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #158
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
Quote:
Hmm, it appears to be in the middle position and he comments about the next lower one but you can see three holes/slots. Hard to see the rear though.
I'm hoping my wife and I both are the same slot (she's 5'5 and I'm 5'11). If it's 2, we would probably, but if it's 3 probably not.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #159
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm hoping my wife and I both are the same slot (she's 5'5 and I'm 5'11). If it's 2, we would probably, but if it's 3 probably not.
I would agree with that. Another thought, they look like they could be standard bucket side rails bolted to the sliders. I would not be surprised if Recaro or Sparco could be swapped in. Could also buy another OEM set and drill away. I'm 6-6 so having a bit of anxiety. I fit in the M carbon seats with helmet fine and not even all they way back, but in lowest height position.

Edit: found good pic and the holes are staggered fore and aft thus not allowing to mix positions and tilt seat. The lowest position is the furthest back, which is good news for me. Plus slider, it should accommodate long legs.
      09-28-2022, 11:17 PM   #160
cslll
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL

Car News TV have a video premiering on YouTube at 10am Pacific tonight. Looks like it's a video version of the Car and Driver article and shares the title "2023 BMW M4 CSL Is not for the faint of heart".

Update at 10.01pm - its a load crap, a robot reading the C&D article! Sorry all

Last edited by cslll; 09-29-2022 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #161
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslll View Post
Car News TV have a video premiering on YouTube at 10am Pacific tonight. Looks like it's a video version of the Car and Driver article and shares the title "2023 BMW M4 CSL Is not for the faint of heart".

Update at 10.01pm - its a load crap, a robot reading the C&D article! Sorry all
The embargo supposedly lifts sept 30th. I'm expecting UK reviews around 4-6pm EST today or tomorrow, plus Uk videos like carfection and others.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #162
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

It is definitely not for the faint of heart… You need to respect it much more than other cars or it will get away from you..

I like that BMW has the dealer make you sign a warning when you buy the car with Cup 2 R tires… Highlighting the high performance, agreeing not to drive when temp under 45F due to tires, and to watch for excessive hydroplaning..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #163
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
The embargo supposedly lifts sept 30th. I'm expecting UK reviews around 4-6pm EST today or tomorrow, plus Uk videos like carfection and others.
M track day at the Ring is today so we might see content from that in a few days.
      09-30-2022, 05:40 AM   #164
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
Haven't seen anything yet?
      09-30-2022, 05:58 AM   #165
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
Quote:
Haven't seen anything yet?
Yeah same, I was expecting it Thursday but maybe it's Friday night (seen a lot of embargos lift around 4-6pm with a dump of written and YouTube videos). I mean all I know then is EVO is out October 6th this month and Car Magazine already said their review is in this months issue (which should also be our next week).

So if it doesn't drop today, then I guess it's next week. But it is definitely in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 06:04 AM   #166
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah same, I was expecting it Thursday but maybe it's Friday night (seen a lot of embargos lift around 4-6pm with a dump of written and YouTube videos). I mean all I know then is EVO is out October 6th this month and Car Magazine already said their review is in this months issue (which should also be our next week).

So if it doesn't drop today, then I guess it's next week. But it is definitely in the next few days.
Fingers crossed!
      09-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #167
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

It's on PH:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...h-review/46267
      09-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #168
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

And EVO

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m4-coupe/2...sl-2022-review
      09-30-2022, 06:28 AM   #169
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

And Autocar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/m4-csl

I have to say, I think Matt has nailed its purpose.
      09-30-2022, 06:43 AM   #170
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Its definitely a set of mixed reviews. Jethro normally loves every special BMW so that's a bit glaring. But maybe they should have done a longer press drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #171
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Its definitely a set of mixed reviews. Jethro normally loves every special BMW so that's a bit glaring. But maybe they should have done a longer press drive.
I've read most of the reviews now and I think it's going to be EXACTLY what I wanted. Great when you're on it, daily usable, awesome handling, fast and fun to drive. I don't always agree with Jethro, Catchpole and Meaden are usually more in line with my thinking, so I'm not worried about his comments. Other comments have been way more positive - Matt Saunders' review on Autocar is spot-on!
      09-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #172
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I've read most of the reviews now and I think it's going to be EXACTLY what I wanted. Great when you're on it, daily usable, awesome handling, fast and fun to drive. I don't always agree with Jethro, Catchpole and Meaden are usually more in line with my thinking, so I'm not worried about his comments. Other comments have been way more positive - Matt Saunders' review on Autocar is spot-on!
Too true, Catchpole is very articulate with his reviews. I think that's the one to watch for to give us a sneak peak at what EVO might possibly be thinking of the car as a whole
      09-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #173
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Too true, Catchpole is very articulate with his reviews. I think that's the one to watch for to give us a sneak peak at what EVO might possibly be thinking of the car as a whole
Definitely - Him and Meaden are my favourite writers. Meaden once wrote an article when the R35 GTR came out and he wrote about doing a fast lap in the (then current) 997.1 GT3. Felt like I was in the car with him on the hot lap - extraordinary writing.
      09-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #174
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Definitely - Him and Meaden are my favourite writers. Meaden once wrote an article when the R35 GTR came out and he wrote about doing a fast lap in the (then current) 997.1 GT3. Felt like I was in the car with him on the hot lap - extraordinary writing.
Can't wait for both

One thing that baffles me is how sooooo many people compare this car with a Porsche. How often does a Porsche get compared to a Lamborghini, or Ferrari? So why compare a twin turbo BMW with a high-reving NA Porsche? You might as well compare it to a McLaren or a Bentley. I don't honestly see the relevance other than click-bait and utter natter.

Horses for courses; apples and oranges!

Porsche produces brilliant cars that are ultra refined and sometimes even, dare I say, too clinical. BMW, on the other hand, produces less refined, but thank God, more rugged beasts.

I don't live on a racetrack so what does it matter if Porsche, no less the GT3, is 15 or 20 second faster around the Ring? Am I ever going to drive there? Most likely not.

Would I enjoy a Porsche of any kind? Undoubtedly. Would I get more fun going like a bat out of a cave around windy roads in the hills with the windows down and Phil Collins blasting In The Air Tonight in my CSL? You'd better believe it.

That's all that matters to me

Live well
      09-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #175
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait for both

One thing that baffles me is how sooooo many people compare this car with a Porsche. How often does a Porsche get compared to a Lamborghini, or Ferrari? So why compare a twin turbo BMW with a high-reving NA Porsche? You might as well compare it to a McLaren or aBentley. I don't honestly see the relevance.

Porsches are brilliant cars that are ultra refined and sometimes even, dare I say, too clinical. BMW, on the other hand, produces less refined, but thank God, more rugged beasts.

I don't live on a racetrack so what does it matter if Porsche, no less the GT3, is 15 or 20 second faster around the Ring? Am I ever going to drive there? Most likely not.

Would I enjoy a GT3 of any kind? Undoubtedly. Would I get more fun going like a bat out of a cave around windy roads in the hills with the windows down and Phil Collins blasting In The Air Tonight in my CSL? You'd better believe it.

Live well
I totally agree - in fact you should compare a GT4 RS to a Huracan STO because in the UK (unless you got hold of one directly from the Porsche dealership) they cost about the same!

I think it's amazing that this BMW is being compared to top end Porsches. It's a massive endorsement of the car! Also, I've been around the 'ring ( in a Cayman R) managed a lap of 8:45 but I can tell you that there's no way I can get close to the 7:15 lap time.
      09-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #176
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Can't wait for both

One thing that baffles me is how sooooo many people compare this car with a Porsche. How often does a Porsche get compared to a Lamborghini, or Ferrari? So why compare a twin turbo BMW with a high-reving NA Porsche? You might as well compare it to a McLaren or aBentley. I don't honestly see the relevance.

Porsches are brilliant cars that are ultra refined and sometimes even, dare I say, too clinical. BMW, on the other hand, produces less refined, but thank God, more rugged beasts.

Would I enjoy a GT3 of any kind? Undoubtedly. Would I get more fun going like a bat out of a cave around windy roads in the hills with the windows down and Phil Collins blasting In The Air Tonight in my CSL? You'd better believe it.

Live well
I totally agree - in fact you should compare a GT4 RS to a Huracan STO because in the UK (unless you got hold of one directly from the Porsche dealership) they cost about the same!

I think it's amazing that this BMW is being compared to top end Porsches. It's a massive endorsement of the car! Also, I've been around the 'ring ( in a Cayman R) managed a lap of 8:45 but I can tell you that there's no way I can get close to the 7:15 lap time.
You've just proven my point

For me, it'll take a lifetime's more driving skills for any of these argument to be relevant.

If Hamilton or Verstappen made these remarks, then I'd listen keenly; in the real world, all else is conjecture.

Happy driving my friend