BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #45
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Best color too for the QV, really wish we got the GTAm here.
Agreed and agreed - or at least the GTA if we are not getting the GTAm. I sometimes have a hard time making decisions on cars and the G80 has been wonderful but just want something a bit more fun and engaging even though I know I'll love the manual I still think the QV is a feast of the senses.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:05 PM   #46
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Agreed and agreed - or at least the GTA if we are not getting the GTAm. I sometimes have a hard time making decisions on cars and the G80 has been wonderful but just want something a bit more fun and engaging even though I know I'll love the manual I still think the QV is a feast of the senses.
I came close to go with the QV often but always come back to same reasons, ZF8 + interior quality. It's a shame cause I'm sure it's a great experience, there is just no reason not to pick the 6MT M3 unless you absolutely need the auto.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #47
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I came close to go with the QV often but always come back to same reasons, ZF8 + interior quality. It's a shame cause I'm sure it's a great experience, there is just no reason not to pick the 6MT M3 unless you absolutely need the auto.
Honestly, the CF and full leather of the QV felt nicer to me than the M3. They use Ferrari leather so we know it's a much higher quality there and the new cars have much improved over the 2017 cars.
I never thought BMW made great quality interiors up until the G80, which is good, not great. All my previous M3s (7 of them now) and M5C were all subpar when it came to quality IMO (lots of rattles, cheap plastic). Not saying the QV is a Porsche decked in leather but it's quite nice and the changes they made are noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:14 PM   #48
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, the CF and full leather of the QV felt nicer to me than the M3. They use Ferrari leather so we know it's a much higher quality there and the new cars have much improved over the 2017 cars.
I never thought BMW made great quality interiors up until the G80, which is good, not great. All my previous M3s (7 of them now) and M5C were all subpar when it came to quality IMO (lots of rattles, cheap plastic). Not saying the QV is a Porsche decked in leather but it's quite nice and the changes they made are noticeable.
Good to know, I agree was never impressed with BMW interiors until I got my 2020 M340i. The other variable is I never see any at the track and when I saw one he lost half is day cause he couldn't source suitable aftermarket brake pads.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 07:19 PM   #49
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, I agree was never impressed with BMW interiors until I got my 2020 M340i. The other variable is I never see any at the track and when I saw one he lost half is day cause he couldn't source suitable aftermarket brake pads.
It's quite interesting, because there actually aren't many of them. I think there are something like 50-60 Giulia QVs in the country as they dont make them in large numbers anymore.
I have a friend who was shopping for an SUV and he bought the stelvio QV over a Macan and X3M because of the drive and overall package and then decided he didnt want to drive an SUV but only lost 3K on the trade value so they do well on that front now too. There are 2018s still selling used for mid 50s...a new one back then was like 70-80 before the discounts (which were quite good then).
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      05-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #50
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:

The M5 CS is far and away the best car I’ve ever driven and owned. I agree with what Chris Harris said yeateday, best street car ever made.
My dream car! How firm is the CS suspension (say comfort mode)?

but alas I chose 5 seats, cheap and comfort (discounted used M550i) over the CS so i don't bankrupt ....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #51
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new Giulia Quad in Verde Montreal and while I love the G80, I still think the QV is the best driver's car as it was over the F8x too at inception. Maybe not ultimately as quick as the xdrive car but it delivers on emotion and character.

Maybe modding the car is the right direction but I always have felt that mods on BMWs is a never ending game in that you upgrade and have to do the second thing because of the first upgrade and so on and so forth.

I want to like the CS since I have one coming, but just having a hard time thinking it's going to excite me. On top of that, it is worth trading in my G80 and then another 50K on top?
I really cant comment on the Alfa as I’ve never driven one but can appreciate its beauty regardless. That being said, I knew my G80 M3 was going to be a manual because of my F80 experience. The DCT was fun (especially vs the ZF8) but I didn’t feel much of a connection with the car because of the transmission. Given your username, you may be disappointed with the Alfa or the CS because of your desire/affliction with wanting 3 pedals. Only you can decide based on your experiences. In stock guise, the 6MT G80 is a bit lack lustre, but that’s where mods come in.

With regards to mods - it’s tough to say. As someone that has spent around way too much in mods (I could’ve bought a new Mercedes C300 with the amount I’ve spent so far), I definitely understand it feeling like an endless desire to continue to add, but it depends on your use case and your ability to exercise self restraint. My G80 is my only car and I plan on keeping it for a while, so I had to get a set of winter wheels, coilovers to truly enjoy the car on track, SSK, CDV delete, set of tyres for the track, experimenting with exhausts to get the perfect sound, etc. but if I could redo everything, I’d definitely save a boat load of money by buying what I feel are the essentials.

My essential mods for a fun and engaging car (many will disagree but it’s just IMO):

Suspension:
KW V3’s
Fall Line/Millway/DINAN spherical bearings (also called monoball conversion, 100% absolute must for anyone that wants to feel the roads through their steering wheel and not just the chassis)

Exhaust:
AA/VT EL midpipe, depending on if you want rowdy raspy or less rasp and more bass
200 cell/catless downpipes from MAD, depending on tastes

Misc:
Spacers for stock wheels
Piggyback or flash tune depending on your power level wants and needs
Change of tyres depending on your driving style and preferences (I’ve personally fallen in love with Goodyear’s Eagle F1 Supercar 3)
CDV delete & BMS clutch stop for 6MT owners

That’s it. I’m not sponsored by anyone so I have nothing to gain by recommending the aforementioned parts.

CF exterior parts aren’t essential, engine bay bling isn’t needed, no you don’t need intakes, no you don’t need yellow/RGB DRL’s - it’s all, IMHO, superfluous. Trust me, I know

You could add the amount spent on those aforementioned mods and still have a lot of money leftover, and you’d have, arguably, a better car than the M3CS. Sure, it won’t be as rare, but if you don’t care for it then your wallet will thank you and you’ll have a car that’s to your tastes.

So I strongly don’t think the CS is worth a G80 M3 + $50k on top. If you care about how rare it is and enjoy driving something that’s special because of how rare it is then by all means, go for it. But if you’re just looking for a better M3 experience, I see very little reason to trade in at all.. especially with the aftermarket parts list growing. The only viable scenario is wanting to retain the OEM warranty.

/superunnecessarylongpost
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
somer946.00
      05-25-2023, 08:47 PM   #52
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
CSL? You must have grabbed a snack during weigh in.
....Like that car (..or the E46 in general) was considered light back then. People tend to romanticize the past. The E46 M3 CSL is 240 lbs. lighter than the regular car, which was considered a porker back then. The current G82 CSL is about 240 lbs. lighter than the regular car as well.
Appreciate 1
bri10425748.00
      05-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #53
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I really cant comment on the Alfa as I’ve never driven one but can appreciate its beauty regardless. That being said, I knew my G80 M3 was going to be a manual because of my F80 experience. The DCT was fun (especially vs the ZF8) but I didn’t feel much of a connection with the car because of the transmission. Given your username, you may be disappointed with the Alfa or the CS because of your desire/affliction with wanting 3 pedals. Only you can decide based on your experiences. In stock guise, the 6MT G80 is a bit lack lustre, but that’s where mods come in.

With regards to mods - it’s tough to say. As someone that has spent around way too much in mods (I could’ve bought a new Mercedes C300 with the amount I’ve spent so far), I definitely understand it feeling like an endless desire to continue to add, but it depends on your use case and your ability to exercise self restraint. My G80 is my only car and I plan on keeping it for a while, so I had to get a set of winter wheels, coilovers to truly enjoy the car on track, SSK, CDV delete, set of tyres for the track, experimenting with exhausts to get the perfect sound, etc. but if I could redo everything, I’d definitely save a boat load of money by buying what I feel are the essentials.

My essential mods for a fun and engaging car (many will disagree but it’s just IMO):

Suspension:
KW V3’s
Fall Line/Millway/DINAN spherical bearings (also called monoball conversion, 100% absolute must for anyone that wants to feel the roads through their steering wheel and not just the chassis)

Exhaust:
AA/VT EL midpipe, depending [...]
I'll resume it my way:

- stiffer springs/coilover conversion/whole kit whatever your taste. Stock is a bit too comfy for any serious driving.

- valve controller + code asd out is totally fine, add stuff if you want louder. Stock is uneventful to say the least, I think my M340i had more sound.

- CDV delete + shifter kit

Much more focused and characterful your G8X has become with these simple few changes.
Appreciate 1
AhsanU3789.00
      05-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #54
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
I'll resume it my way:

- stiffer springs/coilover conversion/whole kit whatever your taste. Stock is a bit too comfy for any serious driving.

- valve controller + code asd out is totally fine, add stuff if you want louder. Stock is uneventful to say the least, I think my M340i had more sound.

- CDV delete + shifter kit

Much more focused and characterful your G8X has become with these simple few changes.
I forgot about the valve controller - another absolute must. The short shifter kit from Rogue is awesome, but not an absolute essential item tbh… though I genuinely can’t imagine going back to stock shifter throws. But if I had to pick between the SSK and downpipes since they’re the same cost - I’d get downpipes. I can live with shorter throws, can’t live without the turbo whistle and volume from dp’s
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:41 AM   #55
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Great video and should give a lot of guys/gals confidence who are waiting on their car!

I was considering doing a basic review to help out the folks waiting on their cars. I’m only at 400mi and was going to wait until after break in so I didn’t have to lie about my revs lol jk

My review would’ve been garbage in comparison so I’m glad this came out and I’m off the hook.

I have a GT4 that I track some as well as daily drive .. and so far the M3CS has surprised me with its willingness to change direction and that it feels much lighter than the huge weight suggests. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how fun the car is with the feel, sounds, transmission responsiveness/programming, daily comfort with amenities and low road noise, and of course the speed is fun (“Lim” button is cool … do other new M cars have that?). I can’t wait to get it on the track and really open it up.

I haven’t driven a G80 for comparison but I definitely agree with the assessments discussed in the video.

One thing I noticed but hadn't looked into was that this is definitely the most aggressive stock alignment of any car I’ve had. I’m glad y’all addressed that!
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      05-26-2023, 03:17 AM   #56
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

This was a great review. Makes me look even more forward to a G87 M2 CS one day.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 05:42 AM   #57
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

Suspension:
KW V3’s

Exhaust:
AA/VT EL midpipe, depending on if you want rowdy raspy or less rasp and more bass
200 cell/catless downpipes from MAD, depending on tastes

Misc:
Spacers for stock wheels
Piggyback or flash tune depending on your power level wants and needs
Change of tyres depending on your driving style and preferences (I’ve personally fallen in love with Goodyear’s Eagle F1 Supercar 3)
CDV delete & BMS clutch stop for 6MT owners

That’s it. I’m not sponsored by anyone so I have nothing to gain by recommending the aforementioned parts.

CF exterior parts aren’t essential, engine bay bling isn’t needed, no you don’t need intakes, no you don’t need yellow/RGB DRL’s - it’s all, IMHO, superfluous. Trust me, I know

You could add the amount spent on those aforementioned mods and still have a lot of money leftover, and you’d have, arguably, a better car than the M3CS. Sure, it won’t be as rare, but if you don’t care for it then your wallet will thank you and you’ll have a car that’s to your tastes.

So I strongly don’t think the CS is worth a G80 M3 + $50k on top. If you care about how rare it is and enjoy driving something that’s special because of how rare it is then by all means, go for it. But if you’re just looking for a better M3 experience, I see very little reason to trade in at all.. especially with the aftermarket parts list growing. The only viable scenario is wanting to retain the OEM warranty.

/superunnecessarylongpost
I actually very much enjoy a good snappy non-manual transmission. I had a 991.2 Carrera S in manual and then after another Porsche after had a 991.2 Carrera T in PDK and liked the latter better. I also still own a paint-to-sample 991.1S in manual so I still have a manual covered.
The Giulia QV is truly the 4 door Ferrari they never made. Ferrari engine, suspension done by the Chief engineer of the 458 so it dances and has the power train too.
Thanks for the mods and overview. If I kee my G80 I will certainly need to look into doing some mods and installing some of the things I have just sitting around now too (CSL grill, front lip).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #58
SexyRoger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtoo View Post

(Credit to Evinrude1975 ) for finding it)
interesting car. Not sure it's worth the price for the look.

M2 CS may get way more attention. More track focused, less big cadillac feel.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #59
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Love that you checked the weight

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #60
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post

Personally the M5 CS feels just as nimble if not more so than the f87 M2 CS. So i don't expect the M3 CS feels cadillac.

I know alot of people wrote this in reviews, and it was hard for me to believe as well, until i drove it. I expect the M3 CS will be something similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:14 AM   #61
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Quote:
Personally the M5 CS feels just as nimble if not more so than the f87 M2 CS. So i don't expect the M3 CS feels cadillac.

I know alot of people wrote this in reviews, and it was hard for me to believe as well, until i drove it. I expect the M3 CS will be something similar.
M3 CS is deffo going to be better than the M5 CS 😊
Not the interior though, that takes some beating 👏
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2023, 02:19 PM   #62
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
its also a very limited car in the UK. Chris Harris has one, there is the remaining FDG UK press car that Evo is using now as the long termer, and then probably 22 or so other cars.
Im sure there are 44 M5 CSs in the UK, after checking, which is very, very few. I could hit myself in the face for cancelling my M5 CS order, and taking an m5 Competition with CCBS, and M Pro pack, thinking i wouldnt be missing anything. Ive looked for one every week since then, and cannot find one, i would want to buy
Appreciate 3
ScullyD5159.00
Limegrntaln13014.00
      05-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #63
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Im sure there are 44 M5 CSs in the UK, after checking, which is very, very few. I could hit myself in the face for cancelling my M5 CS order, and taking an m5 Competition with CCBS, and M Pro pack, thinking i wouldnt be missing anything. Ive looked for one every week since then, and cannot find one, i would want to buy
Take mine 🤣
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 11:14 PM   #64
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post

If you’re comparing an M3cs to a Cadillac then ur perception of size, feel and reality r similar to those of “flat earthers”.

Thanks, see ya later.
      05-29-2023, 01:56 AM   #65
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
You really think they messed with the steering that much? Im ordering a M4CS and was expecting not much beyond a stiffer suspension and a few more ponies over my 21 g82 comp.
For what it’s worth the 2018 M3 CS was less harsh and more compliant than the same year M3 comp. Seems to be a theme across line based on owner drive reports.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:08 PM   #66
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, this was a great job by these guys. Sounds like early feedback is could correct alot of the CSL issues and be more of the M5 CS Jr. that i want this car to be.

I'm concerned about the "harshness" of the shifting they referred to. There is 0 harshness in the M5 CS in Sport Plus + 3bar, just speed and smoothness and its amazing. Thats one of the biggest drawbacks of the CSL in my opinion.
Harsh shifting is fun, if you’ve ever driven a MDCT equipped car I’m sure you’ve experienced it. My 718 GTS shifts hard and it’s a riot. Smooth is boring and doesn’t belong in a sports car
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1