BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-26-2022, 05:36 AM   #1
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Model S Long Range (new "base")

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Got a wild hair up my ass waiting for my G80 xdrive allocation, and considering the Model S - give me strength... I only have space for 1 car (sold the 911 and now just have the beater which is getting real old) so I need a do-it-all.

- Performance - On paper both perform very similarly - real world both in the 3.1 second range 0-60, Tesla slightly faster in 1/4 mile at 10.8 sec at 128ish. Nod goes to Tesla.

- Comfort goes to Tesla, air suspension

- Size/Usability - Tesla

- Maintenance/Reliability - Tesla

- Fun goes to the M3, more drama

- Tech maybe a slight edge to Tesla but no carplay

- Steering wheel goes to M3 (driving a Plaid this week to see what the yoke is all about)

- Looks go to the Tesla (IMO, sorry!)

- Uniqueness to the M3 (I would be going Individual color as well)

- Range isn't a factor, building a new townhouse with 2 dedicated 240v outlets in garage so charging is NBD.

- Cost goes to M3 - the Model S had recent price hikes and as configured I'm looking at $17k more for the Tesla

- Build quality is definitely BMW, but I hear the new Model S is getting much better

- Resale is a little unknown as both models are new and selling for over sticker in current market, but both tend to hold well % wise but I give the nod to an individual M3.

Results: BMW - 6, Tesla - 6

Tiebreaker: ICE cars going away means this may be my last chance at a pure ICE performance car (even 911 going hybrid...) - but I can get the Tesla sooner and I'm not a patient person.

Anyone else in the same predicament?
Appreciate 1
Llarry14494.00
      04-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

2 totally different cars.

One is a sport saloon the other is a luxury saloon.

What are you looking for in a car?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
2 totally different cars.

One is a sport saloon the other is a luxury saloon.

What are you looking for in a car?
Short answer: Everything.

I don't track cars anymore so that's not a factor but I do go into the mountains with my Porsche buddies on the weekends since we have some of the best roads in the country (I'm near east TN and western NC). I wonder how the Tesla would do in that setting, I know the M3 would be right at home. I could always just take my wife's Panamera eHybrid I suppose.

The whole purpose for getting rid of my Carrera T was because our new downtown townhouse has only a 2 car garage (no lift possible, believe me I tried even bribing the builder to excavate down further), and we are planning on a child soon so I need a backseat (my T had carbon buckets). I am starting to like more comfort in my ripe old age of 38 too, I've owned only sports cars (and beaters) since I was 18.

It may come down to whether or not my allocation comes with the idrive8 screens or not - I really don't like them and that would push me to Model S.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

The Model S has had the same design for like 10 years right (besides the front end refresh)? I wonder if they're planning on updating it anytime soon.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13021.50
bwoodahl235.00
      04-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofhockenheim View Post
The Model S has had the same design for like 10 years right (besides the front end refresh)? I wonder if they're planning on updating it anytime soon.
They did refresh front and rear bumper last year (but it was very mild), and headlights and tails a couple months ago. They are such an odd company and roll out changes with no fanfare or warning. So who knows...

Many suspect that the interior is due to get RGB LED lighting in the dash and doors because when you pop off the trim there is an unused 4 pin connector just sitting there, and the main 17" screen has unused pivot points but no motor behind it (previously it was announced that the screen would be able to tilt) so that feature could be added any day to new production.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

So we all have G8X's and I have a Tesla Plaid... while I would not use a Vic score to rank like you did, I do have some thoughts. As I always have mentioned, Im 12 M's deep into my career and only 1 Tesla. I only got the Plaid because of the sheer novelty of speed. I took into account the issues with builds, excessive tech, etc and tossed it out the window because it was already expected.

In reality the Plaid interior is very good, no issues there. The tech, to me, is relevant to a degree but I dont use much of it. I do love a big screen though. The build has been fine; not Porsche like (had 9 of those) but it has exceeded my expectations.

The velocity is shocking and the car for, 4800 lbs, handles quite well. But lets face it, physics owns the world and you can not get around that weight with 1000 plus hp and tq. The brakes are not up to par but they are also being used on a car that is one of the fastest production cars in the world with a ton of heft. Again physics comes into play but I have an understanding of my personal limits, the car's limits, and the environment I am driving in.

I placed some comments below (in red) with some opinions and some just comments. Again this against my Plaid and ownership of both cars. The facts are i own both but the rest are just opinions for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Got a wild hair up my ass waiting for my G80 xdrive allocation, and considering the Model S - give me strength... I only have space for 1 car (sold the 911 and now just have the beater which is getting real old) so I need a do-it-all.

- Performance - On paper both perform very similarly - real world both in the 3.1 second range 0-60, Tesla slightly faster in 1/4 mile at 10.8 sec at 128ish. Nod goes to Tesla.

I didnt see a handling and chassis note here so I would say the nod, for me, goes to the G80. Even with the Plaid's straight speed, the ability to turn, carve, and just push the chassis makes the G80 the better overall performer but of course it will lose in the straight line tests. You also didnt mention exhaust I believe and thats just a game changer for me. I would never only own an EV- not even as a 2nd car... well maybe LOL. I need sound!!! I like the G80X for overall performance vs my Plaid.

Closer than one might think, the G80 dampers are amazing, they endure while the Tesla is floaty and fat. Over normal roads yes the Tesla is more comfortable. So I probably concur here.

- Size/Usability - Tesla

Yeah well this goes with the size of the cars.

Hmmmm I dont know... Ive not had my Tesla long enough nor do I have prior experience but I do with M- to the 12th degree. M is so reliable and they have great service intervals which are free. But of course an EV should last longer but I might lump issues that others have had with their Tesla's along the lines of reliability. I cant really say what I think here ... yet.

100% agree. There is just something about reving an ICE.

I have an Android, but the tech is clearly better optically and from an update perspective with the Tesla. I wont even talk about all the cool OTA's I get weekly that change things inside and out. The sound system has 22 speakers and Nav is google based; Im good

- Steering wheel goes to M3 (driving a Plaid this week to see what the yoke is all about)

I changed the Yoke but agree in stock format the wheel is better on the G80 and clearly the steering feel, touch, and response itself is better with the G80.

Disagree but subjective ... The G80 is bold with its front and rear fascia and exhaust piping. I think its a close one here with the G80 being more distinctive.

Agree. I have an AR car and love it.

- Range isn't a factor, building a new townhouse with 2 dedicated 240v outlets in garage so charging is NBD.

No issue for me here either.

- Cost goes to M3 - the Model S had recent price hikes and as configured I'm looking at $17k more for the Tesla

I paid 137k for my Plaid but that was pre price bump; Its worth it. But agree.

- Build quality is definitely BMW, but I hear the new Model S is getting much better

M is better, Germany is better LOL.

- Resale is a little unknown as both models are new and selling for over sticker in current market, but both tend to hold well % wise but I give the nod to an individual M3.

Easily the G80 wins this, I know from a multitude of wholesalers and Manheim return values. The Tesla is more mass produced and drops down faster except when the Plaid first came out. But markets change, supply adjusts, and things happen.

Tiebreaker: ICE cars going away means this may be my last chance at a pure ICE performance car (even 911 going hybrid...) - but I can get the Tesla sooner and I'm not a patient person.

My thoughts if I can only have one? Id take the G80X over my Plaid as I enjoy speed and acceleration but love driving more so. Again this is my opine and some pics below:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 8
GGG333603.50
Schn3ll400.50
M2Crew219.00
Limegrntaln13021.50
ando1954.50
Llarry14494.00
bwoodahl235.00
      04-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

You need to assign weightings to your categories. For me, 'fun' would be weighted 10x to comfort / usability / maintenance.

I'm not anti-Tesla but whenever I see one it reminds me of that movie AI Robot with Will Smith. They all are the same color (white or black) and you see like 10 of them auto cruising in the HOV line 5 miles above the speed limit.
Appreciate 1
Llarry14494.00
      04-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #8
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Short answer: Everything.

I don't track cars anymore so that's not a factor but I do go into the mountains with my Porsche buddies on the weekends since we have some of the best roads in the country (I'm near east TN and western NC). I wonder how the Tesla would do in that setting, I know the M3 would be right at home. I could always just take my wife's Panamera eHybrid I suppose.

The whole purpose for getting rid of my Carrera T was because our new downtown townhouse has only a 2 car garage (no lift possible, believe me I tried even bribing the builder to excavate down further), and we are planning on a child soon so I need a backseat (my T had carbon buckets). I am starting to like more comfort in my ripe old age of 38 too, I've owned only sports cars (and beaters) since I was 18.

It may come down to whether or not my allocation comes with the idrive8 screens or not - I really don't like them and that would push me to Model S.
You may want to look at the Taycan if you want everything. Fun, sporty and luxurious.

Not sure of your budget though.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
So we all have G8X's and I have a Tesla Plaid... while I would not use a Vic score to rank like you did, I do have some thoughts. As I always have mentioned, Im 12 M's deep into my career and only 1 Tesla. I only got the Plaid because of the sheer novelty of speed. I took into account the issues with builds, excessive tech, etc and tossed it out the window because it was already expected.

In reality the Plaid interior is very good, no issues there. The tech, to me, is relevant to a degree but I dont use much of it. I do love a big screen though. The build has been fine; not Porsche like (had 9 of those) but it has exceeded my expectations.

The velocity is shocking and the car for, 4800 lbs, handles quite well. But lets face it, physics owns the world and you can not get around that weight with 1000 plus hp and tq. The brakes are not up to par but they are also being used on a car that is one of the fastest production cars in the world with a ton of heft. Again physics comes into play but I have an understanding of my personal limits, the car's limits, and the environment I am driving in.

I placed some comments below (in red) with some opinions and some just comments. Again this against my Plaid and ownership of both cars. The facts are i own both but the rest are just opinions for the most part.

My thoughts if I can only have one? Id take the G80X over my Plaid as I enjoy speed and acceleration but love driving more so. Again this is my opine and some pics below:

Thanks Vic, your thoughts and thorough replies are always appreciated. Awesome feedback. I think I'm just being impatient - this would be my 4th M car so I have a decent history there and many German cars have probably spoiled me a bit (Porsche especially).

I think I need to chill on watching car videos and just wait til I get the call from my dealership (hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'm #1 on the list for xdrive). I'm driving a Chevy Volt beater and it's getting real old fast while my wife has her Panamera and gets to have all the fun.

One big downside mentioned as well is the color palette, the Tesla is severely limiting and you just look like any other Tesla regardless of the color you pick. I would probably do a British Racing Green or Goodwood Green on the M3 (so hard to pick but I want green of some kind). And the M3 has much more customizability with the configuration / spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Vic, your thoughts and thorough replies are always appreciated. Awesome feedback. I think I'm just being impatient - this would be my 4th M car so I have a decent history there and many German cars have probably spoiled me a bit (Porsche especially).

I think I need to chill on watching car videos and just wait til I get the call from my dealership (hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'm #1 on the list for xdrive). I'm driving a Chevy Volt beater and it's getting real old fast while my wife has her Panamera and gets to have all the fun.

One big downside mentioned as well is the color palette, the Tesla is severely limiting and you just look like any other Tesla regardless of the color you pick. I would probably do a British Racing Green or Goodwood Green on the M3 (so hard to pick but I want green of some kind). And the M3 has much more customizability with the configuration / spec.

Im impatient as well. I have wanted a 992 so bad but only want a GTS. I got lucky and found one on a boat unspoken for with a small ADM but Im still 30 days out. And guess what? Im still trying to get a GTS right NOW!! LOL.

I hear ya on the palette with Tesla--- wrapping is an option but not a good one. I have some really good wrap shops where I live I might change the color but for now, its Midnight Silver Metallic with a ceramic coat. BTW my ceramic guy said my paint is one of the best Tesla coats ever.

EDIT: regarding the body refresh of the S- the front is discernable but not impactful. But the rear is a full widebody adjustment and I can easily tell a refresh on the road when coming up on a 2021 or newer.

Last edited by Vic55; 04-26-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Schn3ll400.50
      04-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Very nice the GTS is great, near Turbo performance and better noise than the 3.8L. It's crazy how after all these years Porsche still can't figure out how to make the bigger Turbo motors sound good. Are you going for the manual GTS?

I would love another 911 and in an ideal world I would go for a new GT3 and keep a Lexus or some kind of EV beater - but no room for that. My friend just picked up his 992 GT3 and it's an amazing car, he drives it hard too - mainly Road Atlanta.

Maybe I'll get on the list at my dealer for a GT3 and by the time my name is called I'll have moved from the townhouse into something with more space.

I'm also not a fan of wraps - just too easy to mess up (either install or damage - friend's wife has her new model S wrapped for business like a rolling billboard, but it's a custom print and she just got sideswiped, now the whole wrap needs replacement) and I feel it's inauthentic, which is why I would choose PTS over a standard color and wrap.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Very nice the GTS is great, near Turbo performance and better noise than the 3.8L. It's crazy how after all these years Porsche still can't figure out how to make the bigger Turbo motors sound good. Are you going for the manual GTS?

I would love another 911 and in an ideal world I would go for a new GT3 and keep a Lexus or some kind of EV beater - but no room for that. My friend just picked up his 992 GT3 and it's an amazing car, he drives it hard too - mainly Road Atlanta.

Maybe I'll get on the list at my dealer for a GT3 and by the time my name is called I'll have moved from the townhouse into something with more space.

I'm also not a fan of wraps - just too easy to mess up (either install or damage - friend's wife has her new model S wrapped for business like a rolling billboard, but it's a custom print and she just got sideswiped, now the whole wrap needs replacement) and I feel it's inauthentic, which is why I would choose PTS over a standard color and wrap.
No manual for me, I live in SoCal and traffic is annoying at times and further ....

Im old and done rowing

The Porsche PDK is so engaging to me with the aggressive shifts and behaviors/performance so I just went that route.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      04-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #13
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
No manual for me, I live in SoCal and traffic is annoying at times and further ....

Im old and done rowing

The Porsche PDK is so engaging to me with the aggressive shifts and behaviors/performance so I just went that route.
I've lived in SoCal with manuals, I know that well. I'm kinda with you, since this is a one car solution, I wanted auto so my wife can drive if needed. She refuses to learn manual.

PDK is the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #14
stewie177
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Exige 410

Quote:

- Size/Usability - Tesla

Reliability to Tesla? In the UK, they are one of the worst offenders for failure ranked 27th out of 28? Their build quality as well is poor, feels like cardboard - I am sure it suits some people, but it's not for me (my wife loves hers though)

Finally, I am not sure how robust they are - saw this - https://www.thedrive.com/news/31911/...odel-x-in-half locally my other half hasn't pranged hers.
Appreciate 1
BA///MA97.50
      04-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #15
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

- Size/Usability - Tesla

I have both ( M3 being delivered in July, so I guess will HAVE lol)

But I own the 22' Model S , and it's an absolute beast.
They are two different cars but if you enjoy peaceful , super smooth drives with the ability to destroy anything and anyone whether it's from a dig or freeway roll , this is your car.
The range is phenomenal and it's ideal for long distance trips , you can off-road it a bit in the sand or easily go into snowy mountainous areas.
Appreciate 1
Schn3ll400.50
      04-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #16
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Quote:

[COLOR="Red"]I didnt see a handling and chassis note here so I would say the nod, for me, goes to the G80. Even with the Plaid's straight speed, the ability to turn, carve, and just push the chassis makes the G80 the better overall performer but of course it will lose in the straight line tests. You also didnt mention exhaust I believe and thats just a game changer for me. I would never only own an EV- not even as a 2nd car... well maybe LOL. I need sound!!! I like the G80X for overall performance vs my Plaid.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Closer than one might think, the G80 dampers are amazing, they endure while the Tesla is floaty and fat. Over normal roads yes the Tesla is more comfortable. So I probably concur here.[/COLOR]

- Size/Usability - Tesla

[COLOR="red"]Yeah well this goes with the size of the cars. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Hmmmm I dont know... Ive not had my Tesla long enough nor do I have prior experience but I do with M- to the 12th degree. M is so reliable and they have great service intervals which are free. But of course an EV should last longer but I might lump issues that others have had with their Tesla's along the lines of reliability. I cant really say what I think here ... yet. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]100% agree. There is just something about reving an ICE.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]I have an Android, but the tech is clearly better optically and from an update perspective with the Tesla. I wont even talk about all the cool OTA's I get weekly that change things inside and out. The sound system has 22 speakers and Nav is google based; Im good [/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]I changed the Yoke but agree in stock format the wheel is better on the G80 and clearly the steering feel, touch, and response itself is better with the G80.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Disagree but subjective ... The G80 is bold with its front and rear fascia and exhaust piping. I think its a close one here with the G80 being more distinctive.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Agree. I have an AR car and love it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]No issue for me here either.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]I paid 137k for my Plaid but that was pre price bump; Its worth it. But agree.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]M is better, Germany is better LOL.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Easily the G80 wins this, I know from a multitude of wholesalers and Manheim return values. The Tesla is more mass produced and drops down faster except when the Plaid first came out. But markets change, supply adjusts, and things happen. [/COLOR]

Where is your steering wheel from ?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 07:23 PM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Where is your steering wheel from ?
Unleashed Customs in Fullerton, CA

Instagram business

https://www.instagram.com/unleashed_customs/?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #18
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
You may want to look at the Taycan if you want everything. Fun, sporty and luxurious.

Not sure of your budget though.
Totally missed this. I wanted to love the Taycan, I really did. I have had multiple days of Taycan 4S loaner time and it just doesn't do it for me. I don't know if it's the relatively cramped/dark interior or the un-Porsche like handling (I am coming from a 991.2 Carrera T) but three things crossed it off the list for me.

Availability - I have a great relationship with my Porsche dealership (we still have a newer Panamera eHybrid) and I would still need to wait almost a year for one. I am not patient.

Price - cost is not really a factor, I'd buy whatever I get in cash and not really think twice, but I can't justify spending so much more (my ideal Taycan is a GTS Sport Turismo at ~$150k) and still have inferior performance than a base Model S or the G80 M3 xdrive.

Usability - I've had numerous issues even in my short time with Taycan's. The infotainment has crapped out on me multiple times and the application of the touchscreens is not intuitive like Tesla's (too far down below sightlines and borderline dangerous HVAC controls). And the backseat is a little tight and it's not the most practical.

Wildcard is the depreciation factor. We live in a fantasy world now for used car prices but when the market finally falls down to earth, I suspect that the first generation Taycan's will take a beating as tech is ever evolving and that's the epitome of a "moment in time" tech wagon. I suspect it may age poorly, they don't update anywhere near the frequency of Tesla.

I have thought about it long and hard, but for $150k I cannot justify not buying a 911 from Porsche. A $100k Tesla with the power of a $190k Taycan is a more palatable choice - I have the money, I just like keeping it better than spending it.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      04-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #19
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Unleashed Customs in Fullerton, CA

Instagram business

https://www.instagram.com/unleashed_customs/?hl=en
Being an EV owner myself, how do you "deal" with the M3's lack of low end and roll-on thrust? Obviously not apples to apples, and each bring a unique experience, but do you ever get frustrated going from Tesla to BMW for daily driving, slower urban outings? Or is it a first world problem, and you're just giddy to be out enjoying the roads?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #20
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Being an EV owner myself, how do you "deal" with the M3's lack of low end and roll-on thrust? Obviously not apples to apples, and each bring a unique experience, but do you ever get frustrated going from Tesla to BMW for daily driving, slower urban outings? Or is it a first world problem, and you're just giddy to be out enjoying the roads?
Its most definitely a first world problem because every time I get out of the Tesla and jump into my G80X I get aural pleasure, amazing steering, a nimble chassis and just a better connection to what my driver inputs are doing. No different than when I leave the Tq Beast in the Plaid and jump into the R8 that begs to be ripped to 8500 rpms plus and that sonorous V10 symphony. Just completely different, rewarding driving experiences that Im fortunate enough to enjoy.

The tq curve for the m3 coupled with its 1000 lb less heft serves the car right as long as one is in the right settings of course. But the G80X is not remotely short of the ability to move on demand. Its not a Plaid in any shape or form in that regard but its formidable enough.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      05-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #21
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
If I was in your position I would get the tesla.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 04:44 AM   #22
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
If I was in your position I would get the tesla.
Care to elaborate? Just curious.

I should be testing a Plaid today or tomorrow so I could get a better sense of what the new model S is all about.

Conversely, my Porsche dealer has no one on the list for a base 911 (all the car I need) at sticker... most likely Jan. production. Tough call. 992 fits babies right? That's a family car, right!?
Appreciate 0