BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #947
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWJeff View Post
That's right. It was on a main bearing shell recall and they repaired it. There was no engine replacement. However, you make a fair point. I'm going to request that exact detail.
They should be able to provide you with all that information. There should be a document that states the initial problem, the possible fix, the techs notes if they had any, and finally the actual repair. Typically you get something similar to this when doing a normal services at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #948
PNWJeff
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4rfR4t View Post
They should be able to provide you with all that information. There should be a document that states the initial problem, the possible fix, the techs notes if they had any, and finally the actual repair. Typically you get something similar to this when doing a normal services at the dealership.
I contacted the dealership and they are in the process of providing me exactly what you mentioned...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #949
Super_Mari0
Rep
Drives: G80 X-Drive wk31

Just got the repair done in Germany

I dropped off the car on Tuesday and pick it up this afternoon. I was told two bearings were replaced. They told me only the lower oil pan was removed in order to replace them. I dont know how true this is.

They also did a 'mandatory' software update. This is where I have a problem and need some advice. It's called "Gx control program rates (telematic control unit)" 10084880100. After picking it up there is no difference between efficient and sport plus. My assumption is that they 'down-tuned' the M3 to protect the engine. The only thing mentioned by the service rep was the need to break it in for so many miles and not to rev it past 5500 RPMs.

The shop is closed for the weekend and I wont get an answer on this. I tried searching this topic and didn't find anything on this forum. Anyone have this issue?

— Mario
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas765.50
      01-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #950
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Mari0 View Post
I dropped off the car on Tuesday and pick it up this afternoon. I was told two bearings were replaced. They told me only the lower oil pan was removed in order to replace them. I dont know how true this is.

They also did a 'mandatory' software update. This is where I have a problem and need some advice. It's called "Gx control program rates (telematic control unit)" 10084880100. After picking it up there is no difference between efficient and sport plus. My assumption is that they 'down-tuned' the M3 to protect the engine. The only thing mentioned by the service rep was the need to break it in for so many miles and not to rev it past 5500 RPMs.

The shop is closed for the weekend and I wont get an answer on this. I tried searching this topic and didn't find anything on this forum. Anyone have this issue?

— Mario

Anecdotal information appears to reflect I'm the only one with an engine replacement thus far. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas765.50
      01-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #951
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Mari0 View Post

— Mario

Anecdotal information appears to reflect I'm the only one with an engine replacement thus far. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
I think it's a good thing, although you have to wait longer for the new engine to arrive.

I had my engine replaced in my 2015 M3 after about a year of ownership. I just sold it when I got my G83. I never had any problems with the new engine. YMMV of course, but I think a new engine is better than a major repair.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #952
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
I think it's a good thing, although you have to wait longer for the new engine to arrive.

I had my engine replaced in my 2015 M3 after about a year of ownership. I just sold it when I got my G83. I never had any problems with the new engine. YMMV of course, but I think a new engine is better than a major repair.
That’s my hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #953
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

SA confirms engine is in the US and has been dispatched for shipment to the dealer! Said it should be there tomorrow (possibly Monday).

I’m seriously in shock that it arrived!
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019039.50
Ilyam5888.50
      01-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #954
Larryatl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 m40i

Quote:
Today’s update:

SA confirms engine is in the US and has been dispatched for shipment to the dealer! Said it should be there tomorrow (possibly Monday).

I’m seriously in shock that it arrived!
In the same boat as you, car is going in next week due to determine what needs to be done. What is your expectation in terms of BMW extending warranty or anything? Think we could get BMW to give us new cars and take this back?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #955
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: engine is at the dealer! Waiting on estimated timeframe for completion. Obviously want this done right.

SA says master tech stated this will all be done by end of the month but waiting to get a more solid timeframe. Biggest hurdle was getting the engine here from Germany, so we’re definitely moving in the right direction!

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-21-2022 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Neles185.00
      01-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #956
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryatl View Post
In the same boat as you, car is going in next week due to determine what needs to be done. What is your expectation in terms of BMW extending warranty or anything? Think we could get BMW to give us new cars and take this back?
No clue. BMW won’t discuss what concessions, if any, they’re giving me until I get the car back.

If you want to force a buy back, I’d look into whatever lemon laws your state has. Is it possible to force a buy back? Depends on the circumstances but that really is the last thing I want considering the market we’re in. Getting them to buy it back without an immediate replacement is useless.

I’m not a guy with a stable full of cars where I would be happy to have them buy me out and drive one of my other vehicles. This is my only car (aside from my wife’s).

Good luck and keep us posted. There doesn’t seem to be a ton of people posting about their saga. A couple guys that had their cars “fixed” but that’s it.

AFAIK, I’m the only one with an engine replacement thus far. Would love to know if that holds.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #957
Larryatl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 m40i

Quote:
No clue. BMW won’t discuss what concessions, if any, they’re giving me until I get the car back.

If you want to force a buy back, I’d look into whatever lemon laws your state has. Is it possible to force a buy back? Depends on the circumstances but that really is the last thing I want considering the market we’re in. Getting them to buy it back without an immediate replacement is useless.

I’m not a guy with a stable full of cars where I would be happy to have them buy me out and drive one of my other vehicles. This is my only car (aside from my wife’s).

Good luck and keep us posted. There doesn’t seem to be a ton of people posting about their saga. A couple guys that had their cars “fixed” but that’s it.

AFAIK, I’m the only one with an engine replacement thus far. Would love to know if that holds.
Will let you know next week after car goes in on the 27th
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:05 AM   #958
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryatl View Post
Will let you know next week after car goes in on the 27th
Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:41 PM   #959
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I’ve been quiet for a few days as there’s hasn’t been much to add but today’s update is big:

Car is finished, road tested, and ready for pick up! Getting it in the am! Obviously going to go over it with a magnifying glass but super excited. I feel like it’s the night before delivery day all over again!

I’ll update once I have it back and all is good. I’ll also update once I have my case closed out with BMWNA.
Appreciate 8
modat2461.00
gohawks23424.50
Vande54.50
chicagofan0019039.50
LSP72.00
Sbm007612.50
      01-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #960
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got my car back!! All seems to be good and looks exactly the way I left her (I think). There doesn't appear to be any noticeable blemishes and it drives well (in the limited time I had since picking it up).

Now comes my discussion with BMWNA Corporate about what concessions I'll be provided with.

As an aside, my SA let me know that he has been reading this thread and keeping tabs on what's going on here. If that's the case, you can be sure BMWNA has been reading as well.

I asked again when I was there how many cars this impacts. My SA didn't give me a number, but said its hundreds in the NA market. Those of you who may be impacted should be proactive IMO. Contact your dealer and SA. Schedule an appointment and get out in front of it, even with it being painful.

As for my SA (who I know will read this), thanks again for putting up with me and if I get a survey, you'll get all 10s. ;-)
Appreciate 3
Ilyam5888.50
Limegrntaln13389.50
      01-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #961
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Got my car back!! All seems to be good and looks exactly the way I left her (I think). There doesn't appear to be any noticeable blemishes and it drives well (in the limited time I had since picking it up).

Now comes my discussion with BMWNA Corporate about what concessions I'll be provided with.

As an aside, my SA let me know that he has been reading this thread and keeping tabs on what's going on here. If that's the case, you can be sure BMWNA has been reading as well.

I asked again when I was there how many cars this impacts. My SA didn't give me a number, but said its hundreds in the NA market. Those of you who may be impacted should be proactive IMO. Contact your dealer and SA. Schedule an appointment and get out in front of it, even with it being painful.

As for my SA (who I know will read this), thanks again for putting up with me and if I get a survey, you'll get all 10s. ;-)
Like you said you are leasing so if just planning on returning at term end it is no big deal to you what has transpired as it will be under warranty, etc...if you hoped for equity at lease end or planned to purchase there has been some diminishing of value I would think. Will be interesting to see if they do anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:02 AM   #962
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:

This appears to be a great resolution for you, glad to hear this!!

Hopefully BMW corporate offers something fair and reasonable in terms of concessions, since your ownership experience has certainly not been (so far) what you paid for (which includes the fact that you paid for this M3 and rolled around in a small-engine 5 series rental for a while). Maybe they'll even throw in some rubber floor liners for snowy FL
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #963
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
This appears to be a great resolution for you, glad to hear this!!

Hopefully BMW corporate offers something fair and reasonable in terms of concessions, since your ownership experience has certainly not been (so far) what you paid for (which includes the fact that you paid for this M3 and rolled around in a small-engine 5 series rental for a while). Maybe they'll even throw in some rubber floor liners for snowy FL
Thanks HorsePower! You and I agree here. This community is rather large and I'd expect BMWNA to step up and soften the circumstances here.

Let's see what they think is fair and reasonable as I am not asking for the world, but I am asking.

They can keep the floormats however.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #964
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:

. ;-)
Good to hear you got your car back. Congrats. Definitely best outcome. I'd rather have new engine.

My question is - what is the determining factor - new engine or repair? 2 - bearings -repair - more - replacement?

also some report just the bottom end coming off - which I still find suspicious. Some say the whole engine comes out and taken apart. Need more info.

What is your new break in? I imagine similar to new car with no software limitations.
On the repair the guy's reported soft limiter similar to limp mode where the car will not rev.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:20 PM   #965
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Good to hear you got your car back. Congrats. Definitely best outcome. I'd rather have new engine.

My question is - what is the determining factor - new engine or repair? 2 - bearings -repair - more - replacement?

also some report just the bottom end coming off - which I still find suspicious. Some say the whole engine comes out and taken apart. Need more info.

What is your new break in? I imagine similar to new car with no software limitations.
On the repair the guy's reported soft limiter similar to limp mode where the car will not rev.
The repair vs. replace is determined by BMW engineers. The data and pictures are sent up the food chain and they make the call.

I only had 1 bearing that was impacted, but they still swapped my entire motor. Must've not liked what they saw. I know my entire motor was pulled obviously bc I got a new one, but I'm not sure if they just pull the lower part of the block to inspect first. I got as much detail as I could, but some things I'm just still not entirely clear on.

My break in is the same as the initial - 1200 miles. I won't get an alert or anything so I just need to keep track of it. No software limitations that I'm aware of.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
M4Tejas765.50
      01-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #966
PNWJeff
Rep

Quote:
Thanks HorsePower! You and I agree here. This community is rather large and I'd expect BMWNA to step up and soften the circumstances here.

Let's see what they think is fair and reasonable as I am not asking for the world, but I am asking.

When I complained to the dealer and the CA about my situation, there first offer was floor mats - which was a complete joke. Anywho, I pressed and they offered a grand which I thought was fair. Hopefully they are fair and reasonable with you as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #967
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWJeff View Post
Quote:

When I complained to the dealer and the CA about my situation, there first offer was floor mats - which was a complete joke. Anywho, I pressed and they offered a grand which I thought was fair. Hopefully they are fair and reasonable with you as well.
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Was It BMW Seattle that offered floor mats? What a joke

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #968
PNWJeff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Was It BMW Seattle that offered floor mats? What a joke
Yes, that is correct Peertwelve
Appreciate 0