home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #111
SG82JP
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C track package

I taped a microphone on my rear bumper and took few vids. Sorry for the bumpy videos. Please focus on the burble sound😂

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8th3hkkw3...0sqQLO-Ia?dl=0
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #112
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG82JP View Post
I taped a microphone on my rear bumper and took few vids. Sorry for the bumpy videos. Please focus on the burble sound😂

You watching on the middle screen. Have you tweaked that as well?🤔
      07-24-2021, 07:01 AM   #113
SG82JP
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
Quote:

My daughter was watching TV😂
Keep pushing I drive dial forward and press MEDIA, HOME, MEDIA quickly. You can be in Speedlock mode and check the below options.
I'm in Japan and I don't know if this works in your region tho.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
The Dad88.50
      07-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #114
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
Quote:

My daughter was watching TV😂
Keep pushing I drive dial forward and press MEDIA, HOME, MEDIA quickly. You can be in Speedlock mode and check the below options.
I'm in Japan and I don't know if this works in your region tho.
Thanks for the info , will have a look when I get my car😎
      07-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #115
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamy View Post
Feedback from BimmerLink directly on opening the flaps with their application.

Hi,
does not work for the G80 unfortunately. We achieved to control the exhaust flap when the car is standing still, but as soon as the car starts moving, the DME will regain control over the flap.

This supports what many have reported on this thread already...but just closing the loop with more info.
Fuck that sucks…I guess I'm going with the plug route thanks for the insight
      07-31-2021, 11:38 PM   #116
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

thx for your videos SG82JP ... immediate noticable diff is the farts on upshifts which I can only hear when pushing full throttle

i will try to get this done soon then
      08-01-2021, 04:56 AM   #117
SG82JP
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
thx for your videos SG82JP ... immediate noticable diff is the farts on upshifts which I can only hear when pushing full throttle

i will try to get this done soon then
I'm glad that you liked it🙏 This is a worthwhile act👍
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      08-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #118
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuboy View Post
I bought the pnp version of this last week and now on its way over from Germany, hope it's here soon!
Mine arrived and doesn't seem to work. Starting some back and forth with dev but nothing yet.

Were you able to get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #119
peanuboy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Mine arrived and doesn't seem to work. Starting some back and forth with dev but nothing yet.

Were you able to get it to work?
I got mine last week and only got it to work yesterday after a few email exchanges with Markus

What I end up doing was leave it unplugged and start the car, plug it in right after I press the engine start button, I notice immediate sound difference as if the valves have already opened up fully

you might say well it's from cold start but the "grunt" stayed even after a couple minutes

In terms of controlling it, when I'm parked on the driveway and I press the "Resume" button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds, I can see the left blinker light blinks twice meaning the vavle controller is working, and if I press the button again for 2 seconds I can see the right blinks twice and I notice the "grunt" is weakened and sound back to stock

I must say even with the valve controller set to "ON" the exhaust, sounds throatier and deeper however is still nothing like the sound of some folks on here who modified their midpipes or did resonator/2nd cat delete, it is still very mild.

and last but not least I have not figured out how this valve controller works along side with the ASC, my initial observation is when VC is "ON" even with ASC turned off the valves stay open, but I need more observation on this though and hopefully can get some video and post here in coming days
2018 Audi R8 V10 RWS RTronic 2017 Porsche 911 C4 Cab 7MT 2009 BMW E93 M3 6MT 2008 BMW E90 335i 2004 Audi A4 1.8t 6MT 2001 VW GTI 1.8T
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #120
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuboy View Post
I got mine last week and only got it to work yesterday after a few email exchanges with Markus

What I end up doing was leave it unplugged and start the car, plug it in right after I press the engine start button, I notice immediate sound difference as if the valves have already opened up fully

you might say well it's from cold start but the "grunt" stayed even after a couple minutes

In terms of controlling it, when I'm parked on the driveway and I press the "Resume" button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds, I can see the left blinker light blinks twice meaning the vavle controller is working, and if I press the button again for 2 seconds I can see the right blinks twice and I notice the "grunt" is weakened and sound back to stock

I must say even with the valve controller set to "ON" the exhaust, sounds throatier and deeper however is still nothing like the sound of some folks on here who modified their midpipes or did resonator/2nd cat delete, it is still very mild.

and last but not least I have not figured out how this valve controller works along side with the ASC, my initial observation is when VC is "ON" even with ASC turned off the valves stay open, but I need more observation on this though and hopefully can get some video and post here in coming days
Damn, good for you. I cannot get this to work at all, when I start the car the valves are open but the minute I put it in drive it reverts to stock behavior. None of the buttons seem to control it either, I press RESUME and nothing flashes and the tone never changes. I have emails open to Markus but his first response was to regurgitate the instructions.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I have coded active sound off and perhaps that is messing with the units programming. If that's the case it's a bummer because I was looking to decrease fake sound/increase real sound with this thing. EDIT: Nope, I reverted it and still nothing, no response at all to Resume button.

Last edited by Murf; 08-10-2021 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #121
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

You dont have to start the car or do anything with engine on /off / sport. The process is simple:

1. Open the controller from 3 bolts.
2. Turn the valve manually with the pliers to the open position, confirm via visual looking in the exhaust). Use a wire to secure it in that position.

3. Install back the controller with thick spacers and longer bolts so that the motor has clearance and does not touch the valve.
Done.

The tricky part is to find the bolts that are the same size with factory ones but longer to accommodate the thick spacers (I make some rubber spacers)
Attached Images

Last edited by MMnut; 08-12-2021 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: adding photos
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #122
abrush32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The wire method works great. I'm an idiot when it comes to anything mechanical and even I could do it (in about 45 min) Too easy to justify purchasing the valve controller. Sound is WAY better. Resonators need to go next and should be good.
      09-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #123
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Guys just unplug a fuse to leave the flap open, I did this on my friend's manual and the flaps stayed open. It was a 7.5 on the left side of the fuse box. Can someone share a picture of the fuse box I can circle out which fuse to pull.
Appreciate 1
SG82JP148.00
      09-07-2021, 02:47 AM   #124
SG82JP
Enlisted Member
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
Guys just unplug a fuse to leave the flap open, I did this on my friend's manual and the flaps stayed open. It was a 7.5 on the left side of the fuse box. Can someone share a picture of the fuse box I can circle out which fuse to pull.
If the fuse trick really works, it will be so much easier👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 03:22 AM   #125
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If the fuse trick really works, it will be so much easier
It's the 7.5 on the left, I circled it in the picture. Just start the car and push the exhaust button to open the valves, you can double check by looking in to the exhaust with your phone's flashlight. After making sure the valves are open just pull the fuse with the included small red tool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SG82JP148.00
      09-07-2021, 05:03 AM   #126
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

Quote:
It's the 7.5 on the left, I circled it in the picture. Just start the car and push the exhaust button to open the valves, you can double check by looking in to the exhaust with your phone's flashlight. After making sure the valves are open just pull the fuse with the included small red tool.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #127
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

Can anyone confirm this works ? Does it keep the valve completely open ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #128
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
The problem is the only time the valves fully open is at 70% throttle in gear
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #129
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

As has been described previously in this thread in terms of wiring the valve open, the stock actuator never fully opens the valve and the maximal opening achieved is very transient.

If this were not the case, it would have simply been a matter of unplugging the valve actuator with the valves fully open. . . but the valves never fully open unless manually opened.

So, regarding pulling the fuse, I am not sure how it would be any different than unplugging the valve actuator? How are you going to get the valves fully open before pulling the fuse?

It seems pulling the fuse would require the same process as wiring the valves open. Namely, you would have to remove the valve actuator, manually open the valve fully, then pull fuse (instead of wiring valve open). Further, since the actuator cannot be manually turned to the fully open position, you would still have to leave the actuator off.

There is a problem with manually opening the valves fully and not replacing the actuator. The problem is the valves have been shown to ‘flap’ and ‘rattle’ and ‘close’ if not secured in open position with a wire. Again, the actuator cannot be manually turned to fully opened position and, thus, it cannot be replaced to hold the fully opened valves in place. If it could, you would be able to replace the unplugged actuator and not have to secure (wire) the valves open in the first place.

Thus, I see no advantage or even effective manner by which pulling the fuse could work? Perhaps I am missing something and look forward to hearing feedback from others.

///AVM

Cc vetteflier

Last edited by ///AVM; 09-07-2021 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #130
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
As has been described previously in this thread in terms of wiring the valve open, the stock actuator never fully opens the valve and the maximal opening achieved is very transient.

If this were not the case, it would have simply been a matter of unplugging the valve actuator with the valves fully open. . . but the valves never fully open unless manually opened.

So, regarding pulling the fuse, I am not sure how it would be any different than unplugging the valve actuator? How are you going to get the valves fully open before pulling the fuse?

It seems pulling the fuse would require the same process as wiring the valves open. Namely, you would have to remove the valve actuator, manually open the valve fully, then pull fuse (instead of wiring valve open). Further, since the actuator cannot me manually turned to the fully open position, you would still have to leave the actuator off.

There is a problem with manually opening the valves fully and not replacing the actuator. The problem is the valves have been shown to ‘flap’ and ‘rattle’ and ‘close’ if not secured in open position with a wire. Again, the actuator cannot be manually turned to fully opened position and, thus, it cannot be replaced to hold the fully opened valves in place. If it could, you would be able to replace the unplugged actuator and not have to secure (wire) the valves open in the first place.

Thus, I see no advantage or even effective manner by which pulling the fuse could work? Perhaps I am missing something and look forward to hearing feedback from others.

///AVM

Cc vetteflier
Hi AVM, I don't have my car yet so I can't confirm if the valves are fully open when stationary(revving in sport plus with exhaust button on). It does sounds like it's open, I checked by looking into the exhaust and it seems to be open.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #131
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

@babyghost

If you read the earlier posts in this thread, many of us have confirmed the valves never fully open and are only open transiently. That is how we know the only way to open them fully is by doing so manually.

Plus, you cannot manually open the actuator fully. Honestly, not even sure the actuator is capable of turning to a full open valve position.

Hope that helps.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #132
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
No. Valves will never be fully open at the time you pull the fuse. They are only fully open for a split second--under full throttle. That's why I initially used my method to tie them open permanently. And AVM's pictorial is foolproof. Read the thread from the start.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50