BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #89
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAlife75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
Ahh...yeah then, you have even nicer ones..

I also never use any holders, mine are sticked directly to the body, but here I don't see any space where this may work, as there are nowhere flat surfaces that would fit the plate...

I was more thinking to put it behind the windshield, but while it is not explicit forbidden here and some are driving around like that, it is not liked by the and you may get fined for it...and I think this car will get enough attention anyway
Indeed. Our friendly coppers will gladly take your hard earned money for displaying the plate behind your front windshield.
:

That is exactly what would happen, they will be more than happy :
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #90
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
I was there on the 10th Was a funny experience, they where filming a commercial that day on 2nd floor and garage and while the guy was showing me around here kind of crashed their set

Yeah, I had a detailed look at the FPB one and a glimpse on IOMG, which is my favorite currently, but that frozen was really nice in person, I think it shows the lines and details of the car the best.
Cool! Maybe you will appear in the commercial as well?

Yes my exact thoughts. The frozen color brings out the lines very distinctly. But I don't think I will ever have a car in a frozen paint.

Did they also show you the temporary M3 heritage display on the 2nd floor? Or maybe it was the 3rd floor. BMW employees are displaying their E30, E36, E46 and E92 up there until spring this year.

Here's a quick and dirty iPhone panorama I took.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #91
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
If you look closely, you see the holder is just a bit bigger than the CH plate, so I believe this is a CH version model, the EU ones have the more wider holder that is almost reaching the PDC sensors.
Then it's pretty sad. They could have sized the holder smaller to fit exactly the CH plate. I feel there's too much extra space for nothing.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #92
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:

Exactly what I shared in another thread, I felt exactly the same until seeing it in person.

It is not the prettiest front, but has a lot presence and a special character and is not a no-go anymore for myself.
Then we really had exactly the same feeling until we saw the car in person. I hated it so much at the beginning that I even didn't want to consider getting one.

Honestly if you ask me of course I would take my M340i or F80 front design anytime over the G8x but the latter is much more acceptable and if the car performs as it should, it would no longer stop me from getting one in the near future.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #93
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was there on the 10th Was a funny experience, they where filming a commercial that day on 2nd floor and garage and while the guy was showing me around here kind of crashed their set

Yeah, I had a detailed look at the FPB one and a glimpse on IOMG, which is my favorite currently, but that frozen was really nice in person, I think it shows the lines and details of the car the best.
Cool! Maybe you will appear in the commercial as well?

Yes my exact thoughts. The frozen color brings out the lines very distinctly. But I don't think I will ever have a car in a frozen paint.

Did they also show you the temporary M3 heritage display on the 2nd floor? Or maybe it was the 3rd floor. BMW employees are displaying their E30, E36, E46 and E92 up there until spring this year.

Here's a quick and dirty iPhone panorama I took.
Haha, don't think so He opened the door, and we literally where on the set, but they where repositioning and so on, not filming at this moment.

Yes, I've seen the M3s, actually my M4 presentation was in a room next to these cars, was a very cool touch to the whole visit

But actually where you are standing, there was a red carpet and all the other cars removed, as they where driving and filming with the M3/M4 right there
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #94
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha, don't think so He opened the door, and we literally where on the set, but they where repositioning and so on, not filming at this moment.

Yes, I've seen the M3s, actually my M4 presentation was in a room next to these cars, was a very cool touch to the whole visit

But actually where you are standing, there was a red carpet and all the other cars removed, as they where driving and filming with the M3/M4 right there
Since I was there a week later than you, I missed the red carpet VIP treatment. Haha.

Now that I think of it my closed rooms were definitely 1 floor down on the 2nd floor. The G82 and G80 were in different rooms.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #95
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you look closely, you see the holder is just a bit bigger than the CH plate, so I believe this is a CH version model, the EU ones have the more wider holder that is almost reaching the PDC sensors.
Then it's pretty sad. They could have sized the holder smaller to fit exactly the CH plate. I feel there's too much extra space for nothing.
Indeed, as small as possible would have been great, but maybe it is easy to remove and look for an alternative mount :
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #96
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Thanks for sharing the early insights and pictures. Portimao Blue is a credible runner up to San Marino Blue.

Any impressions about the iDrive system?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #97
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what I shared in another thread, I felt exactly the same until seeing it in person.

It is not the prettiest front, but has a lot presence and a special character and is not a no-go anymore for myself.
Then we really had exactly the same feeling until we saw the car in person. I hated it so much at the beginning that I even didn't want to consider getting one.

Honestly if you ask me of course I would take my M340i or F80 front design anytime over the G8x but the latter is much more acceptable and if the car performs as it should, it would no longer stop me from getting one in the near future.
Yes, seems so, I also really said, no way, I'm waiting what happens with the next M2 to eventually replace my current M2.

But after that visit it changed a lot, it sounds I'm even further than you now , I already have an offer from my dealer, and the next step is to test drive it, so I think this will happen soon, now that I've seen it is possible in the BEC
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #98
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
VIERsr

Thank you for posting the pics, I don't have any decent from the front!

TruthOne
Hard to say for me as I never drove a G20..
In Sports mode it is violent in my opinion..turbo lag is a thing but not like "no power no power no power FULL POWER" if you know what I mean.
In my opinion it delievered constantly good amount of power through all the RPM. Depending on the mode you drive it is more aggressive or less.

But for me i always felt how much to push the throttle and most important for me I felt in control of it, it was not snappy or something.
I'm currently driving a M340i xDrive and even Sports Plus it's nowhere near violent. Therefore I believe the G8x should definitely have better throttle response and more "pegged back" in the seat feel. Guess I'll find out during spring time.
I don't think AWD feels as fast as RWD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #99
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Thanks for the awesome writeup! Seems BMW's driving dynamics are still on-point. That, for many, is the most important part of the M3, styling aside!

Also, the Comp looks great in blue!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #100
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, seems so, I also really said, no way, I'm waiting what happens with the next M2 to eventually replace my current M2.

But after that visit it changed a lot, it sounds I'm even further than you now , I already have an offer from my dealer, and the next step is to test drive it, so I think this will happen soon, now that I've seen it is possible in the BEC
Haha yes you are definitely further advanced than me having an offer already. I would have to wait till the M xDrive model is available for test drive before I will make any decision.

Which M2 version do you currently drive? The 1st gen or the LCI or the Comp? I had the 1st gen for 1.5 years before I switched to a F80.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #101
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I don't think AWD feels as fast as RWD
AWD will for sure be heavier but if this is going to be my sole car as a daily driver, I would need the xDrive for winter so that I can still get up to the snowy mountains without fear of getting stuck somewhere. Furthermore the M xDrive will still be rear-biased so the driving dynamics in general still feels somewhat like RWD.
Appreciate 2
TruthOne1081.00
LimiX4m40152.50
      01-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #102
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Haha yes you are definitely further advanced than me having an offer already. I would have to wait till the M xDrive model is available for test drive before I will make any decision.

Which M2 version do you currently drive? The 1st gen or the LCI or the Comp? I had the 1st gen for 1.5 years before I switched to a F80.
Yeah, but driving still needs to convince me

I have an OG M2, got it in March17 after waiting for some time back then, in the meantime did a few things to it and still absolutely love it.
Back then I decided against an M4, wanted a smaller car, but now the cars keep growing and growing, so there is not much left, also after seing the leaks of the possible new 2er...and it's still a while to that...

So I think the M4 would be a great upgrade in many terms after having seen it now
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #103
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
The shifts are very quick, doesn't matter if up or down you don't even feel it really it's just there.
Quote:
Breaking power is awesome, cornering is awesome.
Quote:
Don't bother to much, there will always be an ask for "more accurate" comparison.
First of all, OP - Appreciate your feedback. I'm jealous that you got to drive one.

But, as someone whose purchase decision depends entirely on track performance, some of the feedback (quoted above) begs the question "Compared to what!?" A Corolla or base 3-series or AMG C63S or ???
      01-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #104
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
How was throttle response under partial load (every day use)? My X3M feels a bit sluggish in these circumstances?
If you gave a X3M ask the service dept about it

When I took my car in for one year service I asked then and they said they would look at it. Did a software update and a few other things and the response was so much better.

Not sure exactly what they did but I have very little lag now from low RPMs like it was just a software fix. Still a tiny bit of lag but nothing like it was before.

I would doubt there is that big 0-60 and 5-60 gap now. No way from a street start it takes me 4.6 seconds as car and driver tested. But they also had a first 3 month production car (which is what mine is). My hopes are now High for the M3/M4
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #105
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
you can change the cabin ASD, as for the exhaust it has a valve you can open/close. you're not changing anything other than if it's essentially muffled or more open just like most BMWs
Best is to unplug the ASD. S58 sounds pretty good without the ASD, at least in X3M.
agreed I never liked ASD and always disabled it
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #106
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

That color is hot.

In regards to the review...it is merely one man's opinion. I still find it very suspicious that there are no reviews from journalists yet. I know journalists can speak a lot of bs, but sources like Car & Driver generally know their shit and have vast experience with BMWs for decades. I trust their word over a forum member who's experience and bias is unknown.

I'm honestly over the front. It's the near 4000 lb curb weight which worries me. The car can still be a great performer, but I've never driven a 4000 lb car that felt tossable into corners or wanted to dance through traffic. I have a suspicion it will feel like the C63...more of a muscle car that can still handle well enough.

Last edited by Germanauto; 01-11-2021 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #107
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

By the way it's amazing how the 4-series and M4 are so similar yet so different in appearance. While the 4-series is a total design disaster, the M4 somehow looks really good with all those soft body lines beefed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #108
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
News in relation to what with the grille?
my thoughts exactly... wait what?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:21 AM   #109
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
The RWD is far from 4000lbs, please haters stop with the fake news and conspiracy theories, if you don't like this car move on, don't bother us with this bullshit. A fully equipped manual full tanked M4 weighs 3690 pounds (tested), the automatic will be around 3750. Lightweight? Obviously not, but much less than 4000 lbs. We're around 130/150 lbs above the previous generation of M4, get over it.
If you want the AWD you have to be aware that differentials and driveshafts add weight (around 150 lbs), but this applies to all cars, not only this one. Or maybe for some reason someone was expecting an AWD M4 of the same weight as the RWD?
The 4400 lbs M5 is still a long way off.
Appreciate 8
vampire81434.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
Transfer5242.50
heavyD^23684.00
Scorp!on1510.00
EXE462097.00
Rick955458.50
      01-12-2021, 02:51 AM   #110
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Every single N20/B48 owner I've known gets absolutely blown away the first time they get in a B58, even with just a slight throttle tap in traffic.

From what I'm reading from the OP, the S58 with the new M3 doesn't remotely give that kind of sensation.

It seems BMW doesn't fix the turbo lag yet.
I’m a bit worried about this too. When I did the M track days at Monticello it was quite noticeable in X4M when you drive an M4 (S55) right after. I blamed the transmission, but whatever it is, it’s annoying. You can feel the power S58 has, but the responsiveness of S55 was just better.
Appreciate 0