BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #67
blackmamba3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3, 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
First off, I'm glad that it took 3 pages for someone to mention the grill. Meaning we can generally talk about other aspects of the car now.
Second, the G8X is not "better in almost every imaginable way." That's simply hilariously wrong, in almost, every imaginable way. Outside of the looks, which are objective, the new car gained a substantial amount of weight and no longer comes with a dual clutch but a traditional automatic tranny. The brakes are substantially smaller. Let's not go overboard here.

OP, thank you for the honest review. Were you blown away by it? Would you want to replace your current car with it or would you want to try something else altogether? You mentioned the Guilia, did you drive the QV? If you did, can you give us a comparison between the two?
I stand by my comment based on my personal experience owning three F30s, two F80s, a F87, and now a G20. The new platform is, indeed, an improvement in almost every way when compared to the previous generation. It is bigger, rides better, handles better, with more safety, technology, and better overall fit and finish. When in Sport Plus, the ZF in my 330i shifts almost as fast as the DCT in my F80 and is more livable for everyday driving, so I'm not worried about the move to an automatic...

We will see once all of the professional reviews come in but on paper, the G8X has a lot going for it, despite the weight gain, so it seems silly to harp on the subjective grill and small rear brakes. But then again... I suppose these two excuses will be just like sound was for the F80, which didn't stop BMW from selling more of them than any M3 that came before.

Like I said, haters are going to hate!
Appreciate 6
AlexFL7833.00
solstice5456.50
khanyam4801.50
Nkr151120.50
      01-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #68
X5MMMMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Hi together,

So as promised I will tell you my first impression of driving this beast.
I was lucky to test drive the car, in Switzerland they already offer it at the Driving Experience Center from BMW in Dielsdorf.
It was the M4 Competition in Portimao Blue with the CB Seats and Black interior.

I refer to the questions from M-SPORT in my original thread "My G80 Order".

1. Flooring from the stand
Unfortunately i wasn't able to test it from 0, but I did a "rolling start" from about 20 Km/h all the way up and it reacted pretty quickly with the downkick, so would say good.

2. Twisty roads
Depending on what steering conf you have (comfort or sport) it reacts very different. the comfort is very smooth but still quiet "direct" so you alway know where you are pointing and the car does what you tell it to do. Sport is harder, directer. Not as good as in the Giulia (as comparsion) but still very good imo.

3. Shifts
The shifts are very quick, doesn't matter if up or down you don't even feel it really it's just there. So would say a good job with the ZF !

4. Exhaust sound
So first of all I like the sound. not too loud but a good sound especially in the sport plus modus. You can now switch the interior forced sound manually off with a button on the console which is pretty nice imo. In the stand if you open the windows you hear it very good and a clean sporty sound. Can't really compare with an F80 as there was none there.

5. CB Seats
Don't know why in the other thread people complain about it. I'm quiet chubby (1.78m, 97kg) and I felt very comfortable in it. You stick in the seat, you can electrically change like everything, also the cheecks on the side which where on the max for me of course but I liked them! only thing may "bother" is the carbon "thing" between the legs. When you move your leg you can feel it. It doesn't hurt nor is it uncomfortable but you feel it. During the driving I didn't really notice as I was concentrated on other stuff...so my opinion:
GO FOR IT! It's worth and they look incredibely beautiful !

p.s. getting in and out can bother as you have to take care and kind of "jump" over the edge..the leather will wear out if you "slide" always in and out. So a negative point...

6. Additional from me: Suspension

The suspension was awesome. In comfort you didn't feel the humps of the street (ok to be fair the streets in switzerland are like the best in the world haha) and in sports you really could feel everything and the car was very stiff. also shooting the car in the corner it was stiff as hell and I was always in control of the car. And i'm no professional racing driver...so you can give it, hard...the car can and will take it. I would also say how you feel in the car, the car actually begs you to run it high. BUT:
You do feel the increased weight, thats physics...but they did a lot to help it sort it out the issue with the stiffness of the car if you know what I mean.

Overall conclusion:
If you buy it you certainly don't do anything wrong. The grill will grow on people, trust me...seeing in person is like seeing a different car.

Happy weekend !

Attachment 2502647

Attachment 2502648

Attachment 2502649

Attachment 2502650

Attachment 2502651

Attachment 2502652
Best looking M4 yet...amazing the difference a certain color with all the CF bits can make!
SOLD: X5 35i - Oxford Green w/Brown
SOLD: 530i - Titan Silver w/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #69
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

I really like that color, looks very nice with the black and Carbon pieces
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #70
marckwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

The bmw m instagram story about weight and performance should be on the front page.
Appreciate 4
Scorp!on1510.00
solstice5456.50
VIERsr2620.50
JTO245246.50
      01-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #71
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba3 View Post
I stand by my comment based on my personal experience owning three F30s, two F80s, a F87, and now a G20. The new platform is, indeed, an improvement in almost every way when compared to the previous generation. It is bigger, rides better, handles better, with more safety, technology, and better overall fit and finish. When in Sport Plus, the ZF in my 330i shifts almost as fast as the DCT in my F80 and is more livable for everyday driving, so I'm not worried about the move to an automatic...

We will see once all of the professional reviews come in but on paper, the G8X has a lot going for it, despite the weight gain, so it seems silly to harp on the subjective grill and small rear brakes. But then again... I suppose these two excuses will be just like sound was for the F80, which didn't stop BMW from selling more of them than any M3 that came before.

Like I said, haters are going to hate!
I disagreed at least the F80 didn't have the big grille liked G80, the most important thing on the car is exterior appearance. Like many other members I would skip this generation not to mention you no longer can order the competition version with DCT and MT.
BMW made a big mistake by releasing the big grille on G8X family, why follow Audi and Lexus design? Where is the traditional twin kidneys grille we grew up with? I bet you're going to trade in the Bierman design for G80.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #72
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your driving impressions. Lucky you. Looks like I have to contact the Brand Experience Center again. I attended the closed room unveiling on 18 Dec 2020 and was told that they will stop taking visitors due to the COVID restrictions. Didn't know that it was possible to test drive the car already.

I agree with you that after seeing the car in person, the huge front grille design is actually more acceptable. I really used to hate it a lot seeing photos online.

Did you also get to see the Isle of Man Green G80? That color is also insane seeing it in person.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #73
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwlf7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
Great, thanks s lot!!

And again, luckily we have such small plates here
ugly with this black plate holder
Yeah, I personally think it looks best without any, but at least it is not that big here in CH

However, I would still checkout all possibilities to put it elsewhere, if somehow legally possible, but don't think it will work out...
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #74
IcewaterPete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Very insightful review and comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new M4. I’ve seen it in person and like most I don’t care for it visually, but reading about the features and impressions is interesting.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #75
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAlife75 View Post
Thanks for sharing your driving impressions. Lucky you. Looks like I have to contact the Brand Experience Center again. I attended the closed room unveiling on 18 Dec 2020 and was told that they will stop taking visitors due to the COVID restrictions. Didn't know that it was possible to test drive the car already.

I agree with you that after seeing the car in person, the huge front grille design is actually more acceptable. I really used to hate it a lot seeing photos online.

Did you also get to see the Isle of Man Green G80? That color is also insane seeing it in person.
Really? There were quiet a lot of people there.

Contact your dealer, he can make an appointment for you for a test drive

Yes, two times actually. Once was end of november like you as I went there only to see the G80 in person, and after the test drive of the M4 I asked them if they could show it to me again as my brother wanted to see the IOMG in person. And I aggree it looks insane, that's why I ordered my G80 in IOMG
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #76
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
He said its not as good as Giulia!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      01-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #77
lnwlf7
Enlisted Member
Monaco
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 JB 6MT, M2 MG DCT, 525d

Garage List
2002 BMW 525i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I personally think it looks best without any, but at least it is not that big here in CH

However, I would still checkout all possibilities to put it elsewhere, if somehow legally possible, but don't think it will work out...
I have also small ones in MC. I would put magnets without holder.
Probably a solution with position like Alfa Romeo?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:27 PM   #78
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwlf7 View Post
I have also small ones in MC. I would put magnets without holder.
Probably a solution with position like Alfa Romeo?
Ahh...yeah then, you have even nicer ones..

I also never use any holders, mine are sticked directly to the body, but here I don't see any space where this may work, as there are nowhere flat surfaces that would fit the plate...

I was more thinking to put it behind the windshield, but while it is not explicit forbidden here and some are driving around like that, it is not liked by the and you may get fined for it...and I think this car will get enough attention anyway
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #79
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool, sounds very good and thanks for writeup

So have to call my dealer tomorrow to also go for a test drive
I was there a month ago for checking out a frozen portimao blue M4, but it still was closed room, so no driving back then...

btw: Do you by chance have a straight front pic? Would like to see the CH version for the number plate mount a bit better, as everything up to now was either without plates or the big EU plate version
I also checked out that Frozen Portimao Blue F82 + the Isle of Man Green G80 on 18 Dec last year in closed rooms. I'm not normally a matte/frozen paint person but I do prefer the frozen over the metallic blue. After having a San Marino Blue M3, I'm unable to like any other blue color.

I think I'll wait for the temperatures to warm up a bit before booking a test drive.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #80
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

You didn’t happen to see the likes of Chris Harris waiting for their slot to drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #81
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post

But most fo all, BMW has been using that ugly little single-piston caliper since 2011 on the M5 F10 (needed for the electric parking brake), but they're only complaining about it now
Haha absolute words of wisdom.

When I viewed the car there was no front plate mounted. Based on these pictures, is it a German model with the bigger front plate holder base? Or will the Swiss production model not have it? I forgot to ask the Genius back then.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #82
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, sounds very good and thanks for writeup

So have to call my dealer tomorrow to also go for a test drive
I was there a month ago for checking out a frozen portimao blue M4, but it still was closed room, so no driving back then...

btw: Do you by chance have a straight front pic? Would like to see the CH version for the number plate mount a bit better, as everything up to now was either without plates or the big EU plate version
I also checked out that Frozen Portimao Blue F82 + the Isle of Man Green G80 on 18 Dec last year in closed rooms. I'm not normally a matte/frozen paint person but I do prefer the frozen over the metallic blue. After having a San Marino Blue M3, I'm unable to like any other blue color.

I think I'll wait for the temperatures to warm up a bit before booking a test drive.
I was there on the 10th Was a funny experience, they where filming a commercial that day on 2nd floor and garage and while the guy was showing me around here kind of crashed their set

Yeah, I had a detailed look at the FPB one and a glimpse on IOMG, which is my favorite currently, but that frozen was really nice in person, I think it shows the lines and details of the car the best.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #83
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
VIERsr

Thank you for posting the pics, I don't have any decent from the front!

TruthOne
Hard to say for me as I never drove a G20..
In Sports mode it is violent in my opinion..turbo lag is a thing but not like "no power no power no power FULL POWER" if you know what I mean.
In my opinion it delievered constantly good amount of power through all the RPM. Depending on the mode you drive it is more aggressive or less.

But for me i always felt how much to push the throttle and most important for me I felt in control of it, it was not snappy or something.
I'm currently driving a M340i xDrive and even Sports Plus it's nowhere near violent. Therefore I believe the G8x should definitely have better throttle response and more "pegged back" in the seat feel. Guess I'll find out during spring time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #84
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When I viewed the car there was no front plate mounted. Based on these pictures, is it a German model with the bigger front plate holder base? Or will the Swiss production model not have it? I forgot to ask the Genius back then.
If you look closely, you see the holder is just a bit bigger than the CH plate, so I believe this is a CH version model, the EU ones have the more wider holder that is almost reaching the PDC sensors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
      01-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #85
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast76 View Post
Thanks for sharing your feedback !

I do like going to the Brand Experience Center as well

Cheers from Schaffhausen

Edit: By the way, I currently own a G21 M340i in Portimao blue but I'm going to change to a G20 M340i in Marina Bay Blue... My dealer asked my if a M3 would be an alternative and I must admit that your pictures are very appealing but I do prefer the front face of my G20
Hey Thierry! I was just thinking about you and here you are.

Wow less than a year with the G21 and you would now switch to a G20? Why not wait on that and test drive the G80 before making a decision?

If you remember, we discussed this previously and I told you how I absolutely hated the front end of the G8x based on internet photos? Having seen it personally in December, it's not half as bad as I thought. I mean ... it's still not best design of the year or even near but for sure it's not the worst design of the century.

You have to see it in person to know what I mean. The lines that run from the roof down to the bonnet flows very well with the top of the 2 grilles. My opinion is that this car does not photograph well and can only be appreciate in person.
Appreciate 3
Scorp!on1510.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
solstice5456.50
      01-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #86
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Really? There were quiet a lot of people there.

Contact your dealer, he can make an appointment for you for a test drive

Yes, two times actually. Once was end of november like you as I went there only to see the G80 in person, and after the test drive of the M4 I asked them if they could show it to me again as my brother wanted to see the IOMG in person. And I aggree it looks insane, that's why I ordered my G80 in IOMG
Wow awesome! So you already ordered yours in IOMG. Congrats!

Are you also taking that Kyalami Orange interior? I'm not in a hurry and will wait till spring at the earliest to test it. Would prefer to try putting down the power on summer tires actually. I'm considering to go for the M xDrive model and use the car as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #87
GetAlife75
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh...yeah then, you have even nicer ones..

I also never use any holders, mine are sticked directly to the body, but here I don't see any space where this may work, as there are nowhere flat surfaces that would fit the plate...

I was more thinking to put it behind the windshield, but while it is not explicit forbidden here and some are driving around like that, it is not liked by the and you may get fined for it...and I think this car will get enough attention anyway
Indeed. Our friendly coppers will gladly take your hard earned money for displaying the plate behind your front windshield.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #88
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you remember, we discussed this previously and I told you how I absolutely hated the front end of the G8x based on internet photos? Having seen it personally in December, it's not half as bad as I thought. I mean ... it's still not best design of the year or even near but for sure it's not the worst design of the century.

You have to see it in person to know what I mean. The lines that run from the roof down to the bonnet flows very well with the top of the 2 grilles. My opinion is that this car does not photograph well and can only be appreciate in person.

Exactly what I shared in another thread, I felt exactly the same until seeing it in person.

It is not the prettiest front, but has a lot presence and a special character and is not a no-go anymore for myself.
Appreciate 1