BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
G8X in cold weather climates - how to option/configure?

Hello,

Let's say you are going to buy the G8X M3/4 and drive it somewhere with a legit winter (USA New England or midwest, Canada, Northern EU, etc), how are you configuring it to handle that?

-Transmission (MT or Auto)
-Drive (RWD vs AWD)
-Stock wheel and tire choice
-Winter wheel and tire plan
-other weather tactics
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

I live in Michigan.

MT

RWD

Thought about getting the base wheel, selling the stock tires, and putting on with snows, but will probably get the upgraded wheel and then buy at minimum a set of snows to swap.

Other stuff, maybe a shovel and a little weight in the trunk (sand can be used as traction if get stuck).

Drive and enjoy!
Appreciate 7
SYT_Shadow11462.00
OF Hero1133.00
2011ninja3356.50
414M333.50
      01-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
VTX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I'm also interested in opinions on this. My intent with the car would be a 3.5 season driver (so don't drive in a snowstorm or when the roads are slushy). What I really want is RWD and 6MT...what I really need is AWD (with auto unfortunately). It's just too hilly and snowy around me. My driveway is two-tiered uphill with a final slight ramp into the garage. For most of the winter its snow covered, and I'm just not sure even with snows RWD could handle it.

So wheels, has to be the base 18/19 combo for summer. For winter wheels, snow tires obviously. Hoping I can use the square stock 19 winter wheels (style 691 7.5x19, obviously different snow tires) from my M40i (I suspect the winter recommendation from BMW will be a square 19in setup). Anyone know the bolt pattern/center bore of the G80?

No other winter tactics really. Can use our truck when the roads are bad.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Rwd+6mt would be my ticket. I've lived in NH, MA, NY, CT and have been through more blizzards in Canada than I can count, all in an M car with winter tires.

For snows I've always used a set of dedicated tires and wheels so they are more narrow than stock.
Within a few months of release, Bimmerworld, Apex and other companies will release compatible wheels for the G8X
Personally I like smaller diameter tires for winter so there's more sidewall to absorb the crazy potholes we get in winter.

Remember inside the realm of 'winter tires' you have high performance ones like the PA4 or Alpin5 and then a different category of full winter tires like the xice series.

The xice ones are significantly stickier than the high performance ones

The G80 likely has the new center bore 66.6 or whatever it is in the G series BMWs
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I live in Michigan.

MT

RWD

Thought about getting the base wheel, selling the stock tires, and putting on with snows, but will probably get the upgraded wheel and then buy at minimum a set of snows to swap.

Other stuff, maybe a shovel and a little weight in the trunk (sand can be used as traction if get stuck).

Drive and enjoy!
Agree with this, even though I am going with AWD for this generation.

The biggest thing will definitely be getting a set of good winter tires...NOT all-season.

Try to go a bit narrower than stock if you anticipate driving though a lot of fresh, unpaved snow. If you don't think you'll be driving though a lot of snow, just a lot of extremely cold/dry days, IMO the stock tire size is fine. Although a lot of this will also be dictated by the wheels you pick (I would also get a set of dedicated winter wheels) and their corresponding tire size.

Beyond that, a lot of it just comes down to common sense and safe driving.
      01-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I currently have an F90 M5 (obviously 4WD) with the 20" stock wheels/tires for summer (275 width fronts and 285 width rears). Michelin Pilot sport 4S.

I switch out the tires for winter tires of identical size every November-March. Pirelli Sotozero.

I live in a Lake Erie snowbelt region with flat terrain. Never have any problems in deep snow.

However, I plan to go with G80 6MT RWD for my next car. 19/20 wheel combination. Switch out the summers for winter tires, identical size for winter.

Very flat terrain here so I'll just take it easy in snowstorms, keep it in MDM for a little slip, and the engine in comfort mode.
      01-16-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have 3 M cars but one is a garage queen and the other two are track cars. I really miss daily driving an M in winter, it is so fun!
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Hello,

Let's say you are going to buy the G8X M3/4 and drive it somewhere with a legit winter (USA New England or midwest, Canada, Northern EU, etc), how are you configuring it to handle that?

-Transmission (MT or Auto)
-Drive (RWD vs AWD)
-Stock wheel and tire choice
-Winter wheel and tire plan
-other weather tactics
-Transmission (MT or Auto) = I've driven both and don't recall there's a material difference between the 2 in terms of snow/ice traction but I do feel like I have more control with a manual.
-Drive (RWD vs AWD) = I drive F80 in Toronto with Blizzaks and during a snow storm, if I lose momentum going up even small hills (say, 10% incline), I will get stuck. AWD is definitely better for driving on snow/ice and I would get that on G8x if snow/ice traction is a concern.
-Stock wheel and tire choice = Not clear what you mean but stock summer or all-season tires won't do for M3/4 in winter; you need snow tires for "legit" winters like in Minnesota, Buffalo or most of Canada.
-Winter wheel and tire plan = I kept the same staggered setup as my summer tires but with minus sizing (-1, one size down), though a square setup is probably better.
-other weather tactics = (1) I hear heavy sandbags (> 100lbs) in trunk improves RWD traction. (2) when driving in a snow or ice storm, do best to anticipate ahead and not lose momentum.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Toronto Canada
MT
RWD

I had an m2 same config. It performed better than half the AWD cars around me in winter.

Get a full set of non staggered winter tires and do a swap or rim and tire in the winter. Otherwise you risk damaging and the tires will be the same price as a whole set of rims and tires.
      01-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The people who say their RWD M3s are fine in snow with snow tires clearly don't live where they have to navigate any real hills. As posted above, you'll get stuck on even slight hills. I had that happen in my E92 M3 on snows and decided I'm done with RWD. It's AWD with snow tires all the way for me.
Appreciate 3
Dzo76.00
xlover2191.00
      01-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #11
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I'm holding out for the AWDs to better deal with the very hilly area and snow where I live in the northeast. Will be a ZCP so MT won't be an option anyway. Even with the AWDs, will get a set of snow tires as close to the stock size but on winter rims. I used to run Blizzaks in my 335is and they were amazing. On my F82 now I have a set of all-seasons and they give me almost no confidence in the snow. Especially on a hill.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Chinsterr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP, '22 Tesla X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
The people who say their RWD M3s are fine in snow with snow tires clearly don't live where they have to navigate any real hills. As posted above, you'll get stuck on even slight hills. I had that happen in my E92 M3 on snows and decided I'm done with RWD. It's AWD with snow tires all the way for me.
This.

I (and my wife) daily drove a C63 with blizzaks in the winter and going uphill in stop-go-stop Toronto traffic was always a nail biter. Traction control had to be off to get the car moving upwards.
Appreciate 1
VTX345.00
      01-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
VTX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinsterr View Post
This.

I (and my wife) daily drove a C63 with blizzaks in the winter and going uphill in stop-go-stop Toronto traffic was always a nail biter. Traction control had to be off to get the car moving upwards.
I do appreciate posts like this. I'd been trying to talk myself into a RWD M3 being ok for where I live. It's clearly not unless I only want to drive it 9 months a year. I should post a picture of my driveway right now! It's plowed but is basically snow covered for 3 months every year. My M40i handles it just like dry pavement with no drama.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

I daily my M6 in winters, no problems thus far
Pirelli Wintersottos + VERY light on throttle and brakes, avoid stopping/parking on steep roads

Despite the lack of issues so far, I still sweat profusedly driving under heavy snow/ice conditions
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #15
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX3 View Post
I do appreciate posts like this. I'd been trying to talk myself into a RWD M3 being ok for where I live. It's clearly not unless I only want to drive it 9 months a year. I should post a picture of my driveway right now! It's plowed but is basically snow covered for 3 months every year. My M40i handles it just like dry pavement with no drama.
We're at the time of year in Minnesota where we have a foot or so of snow on the ground and had a day or two above freezing before the temperatures cool to below freezing. Now all that snow is a block of ice that does quite a bit of damage if you hit it.

My biggest concern with the M3 is it's low to the ground, so a block of ice taking out the oil pan or something else is a significant risk. Even marginally decent all season tires can handle deep snow. The concern with winter driving is always ice. While AWD can provide better traction for accelerating on ice, just avoid those situations, especially when combined with hills.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm not an expert on tires so apologies if this is a dumb question:

Are there all-season tires that are better than the stock performance tires that come with the G80? Or am I effectively neutering the car simply by going with all-seasons, regardless of which tire I go with?

My two options that I'm considering are:
1) Getting a dedicated winter tire and an extra set of high performance summer tires (and saving the stock tires for when I have to return my lease). I'd be looking at ~$2,500+ on tires.
2) Getting high performance all-seasons and not have to worry about changing out the tires twice a year or getting caught in some unpredictable snow storm in late April with summers on. Just one set of tires ~$1,200.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm not an expert on tires so apologies if this is a dumb question:

Are there all-season tires that are better than the stock performance tires that come with the G80? Or am I effectively neutering the car simply by going with all-seasons, regardless of which tire I go with?

My two options that I'm considering are:
1) Getting a dedicated winter tire and an extra set of high performance summer tires (and saving the stock tires for when I have to return my lease). I'd be looking at ~$2,500+ on tires.
2) Getting high performance all-seasons and not have to worry about changing out the tires twice a year or getting caught in some unpredictable snow storm in late April with summers on. Just one set of tires ~$1,200.
Depends on your driving habits, environment, and what you expect from your tires. Yes AS tires will decrease performance in summer and have limited use in freezing temps but much better than summer tires in winter conditions.

If you drive aggressively in warm months, you probably would regret the AS tires. If you drive in snow/ice in winter you probably would regret the AS tires. They are good for someone who wants a single tire option and doesn't expect best performance in any specific condition. They do many things well but never best per season.
Appreciate 4
wtwo317939.00
xlover2191.00
VetteGuy845.50
      01-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #19
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Depends on your driving habits, environment, and what you expect from your tires. Yes AS tires will decrease performance in summer and have limited use in freezing temps but much better than summer tires in winter conditions.

If you drive aggressively in warm months, you probably would regret the AS tires. If you drive in snow/ice in winter you probably would regret the AS tires. They are good for someone who wants a single tire option and doesn't expect best performance in any specific condition. They do many things well but never best per season.
Thanks. I should clarify, I've only ever had all-seasons, so I don't really know the true performance potential of high performance summer tires on a daily driver.

I do like to drive aggressively, although opportunities are limited living in Chicagoland.

As for winter driving, I don't really need high performance as much as just being able to get by, so all-seasons would be totally fine for me in the winters. It's really the summer performance I'm questioning. Will going to highly rated all-season tires reduce summer performance to such a noticeable amount compared to the stock summer tires that it justifies me spending significantly more money for 2 sets of tires as opposed to just 1 set of tires?

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by wtwo3; 01-24-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:

Thanks. I should clarify, I've only ever had all-seasons, so I don't really know the true performance potential of high performance summer tires on a daily driver.

I do like to drive aggressively, although opportunities are limited living in Chicagoland.

As for winter driving, I don't really need high performance as much as just being able to get by, so all-seasons would be totally fine for me in the winters. It's really the summer performance I'm questioning. Will going to highly rated all-season tires reduce summer performance to such a noticeable amount compared to the stock summer tires that it justifies me spending significantly more money for 2 sets of tires as opposed to just 1 set of tires?
When I lived in south florida (never any snow) I had all season tires just bc the heavy and sudden rain can be a problem with summer times. If I was going to go summer tires it would only be if I could easily do a change to winter tires if I lived somewhere cold. If you want to play it safe and you live somewhere snowy and hilly, all seasons 3 season and winters in winter is the play IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #21
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If anyone is finding limits of all-season tires on public roads, they should rethink some life choices.

My recommendation is a summer set with a good all-season tire and a dedicated winter set. On a 500 HP RWD car in the summer, even performance summer tires will break traction.

One way to think about this is there are going to be a few weeks or even months where conditions are too warm for winter tires resulting in their heavy wear and even worse traction than all-season tires. A worn winter tire will be less effective next time it encounters snow. Or it can be too cold for summer tires resulting in scary situations.

Chicago is perfect for all-seasons tires. While some like a PS4s can be good in the rain, once it's below 50F and wet, an all-season will perform much better. A lot of standing water? The all-season tire's typically deeper groves and tread can be a life-safer.

There are "all-season" and "all-weather" tires - the former is biased for summer performance and the other is biased for winter performance with snow traction. The two leaders for all-season performance tires are the Michelin A/S 3+ and the Continental DWS 06. Within those two options, the Michelin is biased for summer performance and the Continental is biased for wet/snow performance.

I've had the DWS 06 and it was wonderful. I've driven it on a 535 with xDrive in heavy snow without any problems.

• Winter tires are unsafe on ice. They perform better than all-weather, all-season, and summer tires on ice, but they're still unsafe.
  • Avoid driving during icy conditions or go very slow.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
If anyone is finding limits of all-season tires on public roads, they should rethink some life choices.

My recommendation is a summer set with a good all-season tire and a dedicated winter set. On a 500 HP RWD car in the summer, even performance summer tires will break traction.

One way to think about this is there are going to be a few weeks or even months where conditions are too warm for winter tires resulting in their heavy wear and even worse traction than all-season tires. A worn winter tire will be less effective next time it encounters snow. Or it can be too cold for summer tires resulting in scary situations.

Chicago is perfect for all-seasons tires. While some like a PS4s can be good in the rain, once it's below 50F and wet, an all-season will perform much better. A lot of standing water? The all-season tire's typically deeper groves and tread can be a life-safer.

There are "all-season" and "all-weather" tires - the former is biased for summer performance and the other is biased for winter performance with snow traction. The two leaders for all-season performance tires are the Michelin A/S 3+ and the Continental DWS 06. Within those two options, the Michelin is biased for summer performance and the Continental is biased for wet/snow performance.

I've had the DWS 06 and it was wonderful. I've driven it on a 535 with xDrive in heavy snow without any problems.

• Winter tires are unsafe on ice. They perform better than all-weather, all-season, and summer tires on ice, but they're still unsafe.
  • Avoid driving during icy conditions or go very slow.
Lol, limits of all seasons on everyday roads, you can hit that in light rain on a moderate corner. I agree w the confidence of all season tires, but I am not so arrogant as to suggest that summer tires have virtually no benefit. News flash they do. Even in everyday driving with JUST bmws. Its all about what you want to get out of your car, and what climate you live in.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5248.00