11-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #1321
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Yeah, to this point, most Leo's, Military Service Members and other first responders are people just like everyone else.

If you just show a little mutual respect and carry yourself with honesty and dignity, you might be pleasantly surprised on the outcome of that short interaction.

I will try to post a pic later, but I remember a long time ago I was on a motorcycle run with about 8-10 guys from various military branch services. Not a large group by most standards.

Since the group was made up of random dudes who decided to meet up after bumping into each other on the shared installation over the course of a few months, the run was very tame and not aggressive by any means.

Got lit up by a State Trooper and everyone one of us pulled over. The cop was noticeably appreciative of the fact that we didn't run, so he let all of the modified, less than legal bike owners off with a warning and well wishes. It's possible the military IDs helped, but State Troopers are notoriously less forgiving than local Leo's towards military guys.

As for the reason we got pulled over, I remember the cop saying someone in a car we passed a few miles back dialed 911 and called us in for being too loud early in the morning, lol.
Damn bikers!

Somehow, the baffles fell out of my V&H on my cruiser
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #1322
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Sedan_Clan, earlier I asked you about your opinion on traffic doing/going under the speed limit whenever they see a marked police vehicle on the road and IIRC it annoys you which is understandable as it disturbs the flow of traffic.

Today on the highway a cruiser was driving on the left lane doing the speed limit (55) with a line of cars behind (3 lanes). He moves over to the right and merges onto another highway that I’m getting on as well. This highway now has two lanes and he’s on the right lane going the speed limit (70). I’m about 2 cars back so I proceed to pass. On this highway I do 80 and have been clocked by troopers w/o getting pulled over. So as I’m passing this officer (75), he immediately gets into the left lane and turns his lights on.

I pull over, lower my window and he approaches asking for the normal paperwork. This is how it went down:

Officer: can you explain why you would ever pass a marked police vehicle?
Me: ?????? (I’m thinking he must be in a bad mood or bored).
Me: you were doing 70 in a 70 and I passed you going 75.
Officer: so you admit you were speeding.
Me: yes at 5 mph. I know it’s a major offense (sarcasm).
Officer: this constitutes a $250 ticket.
Me: ???? (I just stared and nodded my head up/down)
Officer: do you want a $250 ticket?
Me: no, I’m good.
Officer: take care and please don’t pass marked police vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #1323
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Sedan_Clan, earlier I asked you about your opinion on traffic doing/going under the speed limit whenever they see a marked police vehicle on the road and IIRC it annoys you which is understandable as it disturbs the flow of traffic.

Today on the highway a cruiser was driving on the left lane doing the speed limit (55) with a line of cars behind (3 lanes). He moves over to the right and merges onto another highway that I’m getting on as well. This highway now has two lanes and he’s on the right lane going the speed limit (70). I’m about 2 cars back so I proceed to pass. On this highway I do 80 and have been clocked by troopers w/o getting pulled over. So as I’m passing this officer (75), he immediately gets into the left lane and turns his lights on.

I pull over, lower my window and he approaches asking for the normal paperwork. This is how it went down:

So I pass marked and unmarked police cars all the time, if they are doing the speed limit which is unusual or even a bit over. I slid by going just a bit faster and never get bothered. Having said that the speed limit is the speed limit so it's a bit of a gamble. My advice is always be polite, always apologize politely and offer up a reasonable explanation and did I mention be polite. He might one of those guys who's a prick, maybe he was told to enforce the speed limit strictly by his hook, and rather than laying charges he was sending a message by doing the speed limit in the outside lane. Who knows.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614886.50
      12-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #1324
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Today on the highway a cruiser was driving on the left lane doing the speed limit (55) with a line of cars behind (3 lanes). He moves over to the right and merges onto another highway that I'm getting on as well. This highway now has two lanes and he's on the right lane going the speed limit (70). I'm about 2 cars back so I proceed to pass. On this highway I do 80 and have been clocked by troopers w/o getting pulled over. So as I'm passing this officer (75), he immediately gets into the left lane and turns his lights on.

Me: ?????? (I'm thinking he must be in a bad mood or bored).
Me: yes at 5 mph. I know it's a major offense (sarcasm).
Me: no, I'm good.
Officer: take care and please don't pass marked police vehicles.
Honestly, I feel like he was taking himself a bit too seriously. Your speed difference wasn't egregious. I would've just let you go on about your business.
Appreciate 7
Murf99314114.00
Dang3r12503.00
Smgs1992720.00
F30lolz6798.50
MKSixer34171.50
scostu1619.50
      12-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #1325
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

definitely bored...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
F30lolz6798.50
      02-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #1326
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
When on patrol, how often do you spot license plate covers that block traffic/toll cameras?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #1327
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
When on patrol, how often do you spot license plate covers that block traffic/toll cameras?
I think they are illegal in many places, when I was on the job and now frankly just driving around you just don't see them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #1328
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
You don't see that much around here. Normally if someone wants to evade a toll, they'd drive onto the toll road with a paper dealer plate. Now that California no longer uses dealer plates, that method would garner attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #1329
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Era: 1950's
Scene: Arizona desert highway
Vehicle: 1949 2-door Ford
Driver: Dad
Speed: Excessive

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Dad: What's the speed limit?
Officer: 65 MPH.
Dad: That's how fast I was going.
Me: Daddy is that a real gun?

[true story]

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 4
lakefront560.50
Murf99314114.00
S1nner118.00
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      02-19-2021, 02:21 AM   #1330
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Era: 1950's
Scene: Arizona desert highway
Vehicle: 1949 2-door Ford
Driver: Dad
Speed: Excessive

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Dad: What's the speed limit?
Officer: 65 MPH.
Dad: That's how fast I was going.
Me: Daddy is that a real gun?

[true story]
That escalated rather quickly. Lol!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614886.50
      02-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #1331
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Blondes or brunettes?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #1332
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Blondes or brunettes?
Wow. My first ex wife was blond, and my second ex wife was brunette......the current bride is arctic blonde.....and beautiful. When we started dating she used to colour her hair all the time, and it changed a lot. She was brunette when I met her and showed up on our first date with touches of electric blue, I recall my favourite was her "tribute to autumn", it had a lot of red's in it......it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #1333
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Blondes or brunettes?
Ummmm.....blonde! Preferably from Louisiana.
Appreciate 3
Sara5775.50
Murf99314114.00
MKSixer34171.50
      02-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #1334
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Is it true once you "start" to write a ticket you can't stop?
(I don't have a reason you would stop but maybe you changed your mind)
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      02-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #1335
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Okay, so I confess I speed. Who doesn't? What's an acceptable over the limit mph? 5-10 range okay?

I hate when everyone is scared to pass the cop who's cruising in the lane next to us I'll go right by him and be going 5 mph faster than him. Unless he's in pursuit that is lol.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      02-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #1336
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so I confess I speed. Who doesn't? What's an acceptable over the limit mph? 5-10 range okay?

I hate when everyone is scared to pass the cop who's cruising in the lane next to us I'll go right by him and be going 5 mph faster than him. Unless he's in pursuit that is lol.
I pass marked and unmarked cars all the time. Don't be stupid, be reasonable. There is on hard and fast rule for what speed is executable but you are usually safe up to 10 over....here in Canada where the highway speed is 100KHP (62MPH) you are pretty safe at 120KPH (70MPH). I generally drive about 130KHP and never get bothered.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #1337
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
You can "spoil" a ticket once you've started to write it. The police have discretion to lay or not lay charges and they can change their mind once they start writing, although I'd suggest that once they start to write you up it's because they have made up their mind to. I always looked at it as "does this person need a ticket", getting charged has ramifications for the person getting the ticket, insurance and the cost of the fine or cost to fight it. That might be the grocery money for a family for a week or more so do they need the ticket or the break, which will have more impact. If you scare them by stopping them and then warn them they might learn a lesson, have a better view of the police and grocery money for their kids....some folks need to get strapped on though.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #1338
garyfried
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

How do you feel about cars and bikes making obscene amounts of noise especially knowing that the exhaust is not stock or may even be missing.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #1339
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfried View Post
How do you feel about cars and bikes making obscene amounts of noise especially knowing that the exhaust is not stock or may even be missing.
So all of my toys have made great noise but I have very little tolerance for guys that go out of their way to piss folks off with loud exhausts that get cracked on side streets. etc.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      02-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #1340
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Where is the best spot for me to keep my Glock? Magnetic quickdraw gun holder by the knee? Living in New Orleans, I'm terrified of being car jacked, especially with my child in the car.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      02-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #1341
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Not true at all. That's just the officer's way of avoiding any lengthy dispute with the driver.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

5 to 10 over is fine. Plus being a cute blonde helps. Lol!

Quote:
I don't care unless they are being purposely obnoxious. We all know those types.

Quote:
Where is the best spot for me to keep my Glock? Magnetic quickdraw gun holder by the knee? Living in New Orleans, I'm terrified of being car jacked, especially with my child in the car.
If you like that setup and it works for you, I say stick with it. I keep my firearm in the door pocket or in my lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
So all of my toys have made great noise but I have very little tolerance for guys that go out of their way to piss folks off with loud exhausts that get cracked on side streets. etc.
^^^This!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      02-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #1342
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Would you give me a ticket?
Appreciate 0