BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Seems unbelievably foolish to abandon your current customer base and brand image to focus on a different one that hasn't proved beneficial. There's an axiom in sales... The most likely place to find sales is from those who've bought from you before.

BMW sure is making it attractive to give some other company my business. 👎🏻
+1000

So Lame

My next car WONT be a BMW

FYI to all the Kith and G8x Lovers. We have had well over 12+ BMWs In the last 15 years.
Appreciate 7
      10-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmclNH View Post
As a 19 year old bmw enthusiast:
I do not like this "collaboration" one bit. The whole thing is a cash grab by kith and easy "hype" about new cars for bmw. Not everybody loves the new cars so this is what they turn to. All of the products that Ronnie fieg released is stuff that bmw has already made. M sweatshirts, sweatpants, umbrellas, license plate frames? all shit I've seen at the dealer or online. Except it's marked up 200 percent because it says kith on it. It's sad. There was no creativity. They capitalized on the fact that the e30/ older cars are trendy now. What do they do? Make it more trendy. I bought my own 08' 328 for my first car and just recently a 96' 328. I work full time. Can I afford anything that they released? No. Even though I own 2 bmws. Their target audience for this was to get into the Instagram feeds of rich teens with their parents credit cards. This is not marketed to the enthusiast. This is marketed towards college kids with daddy's money. And yes it will work for bmw. They know where the money is, clearly. I know not everyone with a bmw is an enthusiast, but this is a turning point for the brand. It will now explode into a "hype beast brand". They took the once special and iconic M badge and turned it into a marketing scheme. It's supposed to be rare to see an M badge. Not see it on a t shirt in the mall.
I'm a sneaker-head myself and only a couple years older than you and I too do not approve of this Kith monstrosity with its bastardized BMW logos. Shit, I even wear yeezys, I should get me an automatic all-wheel drive M4 to flex on in front of a Bape store in DTLA, right?

BMW has already the youngest fan base and probably clientele of the Big Three (Audi, BMW, MB). I don't really think collabs with some hypebeasts will make a lot 20-something buyers buy brand new BMWs but what do I know, I don't work in Marketing.

If we want young people to buy expensive shit, do not drown them in ridiculously high school tuition debts and accommodation payments. It is literally crazy how much school and a roof over your head cost these days.
      10-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #25
azuritschwarz
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW 440i Coupe  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW just kithing the sales away....

For a brand so steeped in tradition & heritage, I find it surprising that BMW is seemingly so quick to deface their own icon; replacing the ///M4 badge with a ///Kith? Really? ///Marketing.

BMW is making some risky business moves, but I see their logic. Times change & so do preferences, but appeasing to a customer base other than the loyal enthusiasts which have helped to define & shape the brand will backfire if you ask me. I think it is just too much all at once, personal opinion.

If it isn’t broken, don't try & fix it!!
2006 E90 330i 6MT Arctic Metallic/Lemon White Leather (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #26
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
My 2016 M2 is my current and seventh consecutive BMW. My next car will not be a BMW.
Despite the shift in marketing by BMW AG/M/NA, I happily ordered my 10th BMW in 16 years last week without even a test drive (F95 comp) and will also be ordering the G83 comp in 2021, also without a test drive. I could care less about the "hoodie" marketing.
      10-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #27
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

It doesn't help that they are marketing to us kids and an M3 costs $80K....
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #28
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Seems unbelievably foolish to abandon your current customer base and brand image to focus on a different one that hasn't proved beneficial. There's an axiom in sales... The most likely place to find sales is from those who've bought from you before.

I dont know if that is the case, which is always the problem for legacy brands.

Apple is really good at this, they drop products move on, and really tell their base move with us or not, and usually, they do.

I am not saying abandon their base completely, but you need to expand it because if you don't adjust you will be left behind with your base talking about how great the E30/E36/E46 was.

Its like the manual, I love manuals, but I am not naive enough to realize that even before BMW started making less of them the take rate was way down.

Now if BMW was a niche player that only wanted to sell to a certain hardcore base and go less volume then that is a different model.
      10-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #29
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Kind of a stodgy article, but it is the WSJ. Just thought I'd share since it's a hot topic right now. Enjoy!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-por...ns-11603727944

"However, for the 2020 partnerships, selling a car is not, the only (or even primary) objective; for the automobile brands, it's also about targeting a young demographic that could someday evolve into a reliable customer base. As Uwe Dreher, head of marketing for at BMW North America put it, it doesn't matter if the "people who buy the hoodie with the Kith BMW logo….also buy the car." As he said in an interview before the launch, many of Kith's shoppers aren't even old enough to drive. The partnership is also about building awareness."
imagine a BMW x Supreme
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
trife.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3MC x Porsche Cayenne

Lots of "old man yells at cloud" posts in here. I can't say I'm surprised.

Imagine abandoning a brand because you don't like the way they're marketing to a younger crowd. It's adapt or die, folks. This isn't a new concept, and it certainly isn't hard to understand.

BMW will survive because the folks jumping ship will certainly be outnumbered by the loyalists that stay, and I'm sure this factored into BMW's calculations.
Appreciate 7
      10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #31
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I see things a bit differently, but this is just my perspective.

When I was younger, through my teens and 20s, I read car magazines religiously. Every single comparison test resulted in a BMW victory. Even after I owned cars, BMWs would always beat mine in tests. Damn it, fine I'll try one since they are so good.

And here we are. But of course, I love to drive.

Things like this Kith are for the dudes that show up at car shows in matching jackets. I care about the experience behind the wheel, where as they car more about the experience in front of it. It's not right or wrong, just is.

Makes sense for BMW to go after both. If they ONLY made Kith M cars...then they'd lose me.
      10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #32
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
That seems like a pretty short sighted perspective. Inevitably you will need to increase market share. Kind of hard to do that if all you focus on is your core customers. Not to mention, your core customers of the future are not always your core customers of the present and attracting those future customers is an ongoing exercise. I'm sure BMW could just focus on their "core" customers and let Mercedes/Audi etc. grab the younger demographic and build the future base of support instead?
I guess we would need to define who is the core BMW customer. If we think that the core is made up of enthusiasts, we are the ones who are short-sighted. The core BMW owner is not an enthusiast. Most M car and BMW owners don't go to a race track with their car or have an interest in racing. Most of the people buying BMW's Mercedes Ferrari's or Apple phones are buying into a lifestyle.
Thats exactly my point. Your "core" customers are whoever buy your product. If you only tailor your product to a small demographic, you will have a commensurately small core. If you expand that offering to attract a larger swath of demographics, you increase the size of your core customers. Ultimately though, some only think that core is synonymous with enthusiasm for a brand. At the end of the day, if a soccer mom buys an F15 X5 because they were swayed bu the marketing, and then subsequently a G05 X5 simply because they are now familiar with the brand, does it matter than they aren't entirely enthusiastic about it? Not necessarily. Some enthusiasts are actually less attractive to the brand because they purchase one generation of a model and hold onto it longer due to sentimental reasons.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #33
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

I never heard of KITH but I heard of BMW because I'm on my 4th one now that I track and daily heavily.
This is just a wasteful tactic on BMW's part..I'm sorry.
BMW...stick with what you know ...BUILDING THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. Buh-bye.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #34
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:

Exactly. BMW had established a loyal customer base through their unique brand image and "UDM" philosophy. The core of their brand has never been about overpriced hypebeast branded junk and the hoodie-wearing rich parents Tik Tok crowd. Not that the two are mutually exclusive but this collaboration has been more about Kith logos, not BMW. Maybe a collaboration is healthy, but when they're plastering "Kith" badges all over the car with no meaningful substance, it shows they've lost their way. Sure they might attract a new crowd with this marketing campaign, but they will also stand to alienate a long-standing fan base who appreciate BMW for what it is - and also what it isn't.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #35
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
BMW believes they have a badge so good, that even if they make the design less appealing to its base, the base will still buy it due to the badge, despite lacking reliability, and driving dynamics. And they will pickup younger buyers (maybe more so down the road). Time will tell if BMW made a good bet
Hey, i fixed it for you
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
jmack548.50
      10-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #36
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Gonna post it gain, this time with a youtube link.

Shame to use that beautiful red M3 in this.
This is what's almost in full screen when you visit the kith website

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #37
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
How well did that Gucci-edition 500 do for Fiat? Sure as hell more people know Gucci than Kith.

Focus on SUBSTANCE BMW. Geez.
Attached Images

10-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #38
AtlantisF80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2008 328i

As I was reading through the comments, I am beginning to change my position about the cross branding of BMW x KITH. From a business perspective it made sense to broaden the appeal of the BMW M brand to those people outside of the core group and reach out to enthusiasts or the younger generation that like "hype" luxury clothing. BMW probably wanted to test the market and see if it was a success. And it proved to be one considering that all of the 'hype' KITH M4 competitions sold out and also all of the KITH x BMW merchandise and clothing in just a matter of days!!

You can expand your customer base to core and enthusiasts. Just make sure that you stay true to the core product. It was a good thing that BMW did not market this car or the clothing line at their dealerships or www.bmw.com.
      10-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #39
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Nothing new here ...

http://www.joesherlock.com/Designer-Editions.html
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #40
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
And this is what it is all about, getting new customers targeting more and younger audiences, and has been the main focus for a while now not only for BMW but for a lot of companies world wide, why do you thing BMW and other brands are talking about subscriptions models for selling cars and tech in their cars, or as with the M-Performance brand witch has been said many times over it is almost like with micro transactions/loot boxes out there the new generations of younger people the same generations that is and has been raised by the older generation is looking for less ownership of stuff and more in line with subscriptions/leasing etc..... don't be surprised if we start seeing "Leasing" rebranded as a sub fee where you get a model for this many $$$ a month you get this and for $$$$ witch includes this and that just to target new markets and younger people.

The older generation of people is not their target anymore nor is it what sells more cars or stuff for them, As the gaming industry is now it is only to be expected in the Auto industry to move towards that.

They probably will keep some of their cars like the M2, and such to exist to target the minority of customers that is the enthusiasts people.

But as has been stated so many times before so many people on forums like this one do not approve of the direction BMW is moving towards and move to brands like Porsche witch still has the "Stamp" of being an "Old Mans Brand" But Porsche won't be able to sustain them self for far to long on the dropping of customers from other brands and will also have to move in this direction to survive, but what Porsche has done better in terms of marketing is to sell so much options that cost extra to buy even stuff that should be standard. And we will see more of this in BMW and other brands so people can feel "unique".

I think we will see more of this in the future. For better or for worse.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      10-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #41
Donolotti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Previous car: 2018 ZCP M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantisF80 View Post
As I was reading through the comments, I am beginning to change my position about the cross branding of BMW x KITH. From a business perspective it made sense to broaden the appeal of the BMW M brand to those people outside of the core group and reach out to enthusiasts or the younger generation that like "hype" luxury clothing. BMW probably wanted to test the market and see if it was a success. And it proved to be one considering that all of the 'hype' KITH M4 competitions sold out and also all of the KITH x BMW merchandise and clothing in just a matter of days!!

You can expand your customer base to core and enthusiasts. Just make sure that you stay true to the core product. It was a good thing that BMW did not market this car or the clothing line at their dealerships or www.bmw.com.
Probably sold out for the potential of higher resale. People buying them are just flipping most likely. Just like more than half the people that buy collector shoes are just in it for the money. I'm 27 and have a marketing degree not a fan of the marketing tactic. Seems like trying to hard. To me what made BMW cool when I was younger was the crazy performance and style that one day I could aspire to if I do well for myself. I have had 4 BMW's e46 M3, e38 740il, M235i, and a f82 M4.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      10-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #42
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp xdrive, '24 iX M60

Quote:

Quote:

And that's exactly what nearly tanked Harley Davidson. I don't see BMW abandoning their current customer base, but they have to attract new customers who aren't necessarily going to appreciate BMW's history, especially if car ownership isn't a driving factor for them, no pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #43
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
As I read this, all I could honestly think to myself is who, and if, someone at AG was also reading all these replies.

Write back Yo ! Bitches.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #44
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I don’t understand the bitching here. Couldn’t care less what they do with their advertising, I only care about the product and they still make great cars imo. If you’re worried about what other people will think when they see you driving a certain model, you have bigger issues tbh
Appreciate 6