BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

What’s the target audience? I’m trying to understand how I personally fit into BMW’s lineup.

The car seems to get longer and heavier every generation. Forget the grills, the car looks like a behemoth on video. I bought my M3 because I wanted one since I set my eyes on the E46 M3, but each generation seems to move farther from that car.

Anyone else feeling similar?
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

They are targeting whoever the hellwants to and can afford to buy it. Why are people putting labels on it
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2
Jmpascual687.50
heavyD^23684.00
      10-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
They are targeting whoever the hellwants to and can afford to buy it. Why are people putting labels on it
This has to be the most well informed post I've read all year, thx man.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 4
JDUNITNOW3453.00
VetteGuy845.50
alex23642846.50
      10-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
I feel like you're asking the wrong question. It seems like you need to better understand your priorities and choose a car that aligns with those. BMW telling you who their target audience is shouldn't influence that. I know a 33 year old, unmarried, with no kids who drives around in a 7 Series. He's happy with it despite (probably) not being the target user persona for BMW when they designed it. You just need to find what makes you happy and not worry about BMW's product marketing priorities.

Now if you're not actually asking the question to inform your 3-year commitment and it's just an educational question then sure I'll engage. To the point made by @wyndi335i above, I think BMW is targeting whoever will buy it which could include the {original E46 buyer from 2001 who is now 20 years older with a 1-car home and kids}, a {retiree who wants some of the engagement of a smaller car but doesn't want to feel aches and pains with every bump}, or even the {newly rich 30 year old who knows little about cars but saw that the price tag is high but affordable, it looks exotic, and sounds really "fast"}.

BMW's goal is volume and to get volume you have to appeal to multiple customer segments.

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      10-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I used to think my brother's E39 M5 was a boat when I was driving my Z4M Coupe back in 2007/2008. I think the G80 M3 is about the same length as an E39 M5 which scares me a little when I think about it, but now I have a small family of four so an extra inch or two of room vs. my F30 can also be a good thing.

As long as the G80 M3 has nice driving dynamics and the ZF8 transmission is well programmed I should be fine. I'm not a track guy but I love driving and I'm sure I'll enjoy the G80. This time I'm waiting for the AWD as I'm also interested in usable straight line performance.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Who / What Demographic is going to buy this thing?

I'm just asking out of curiosity since we've all seen the marketing campaign and are confused. What age group / demographic are going to buy these cars? Are the customers going to be younger or older? I'm just curious because they are not cheap cars and given today's push towards the electric market and the younger generation I was wondering.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10052.50
      10-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Its all over the map just like the community here on the forum. I dot see it being just one sub set of demo. Electric is awesome however its still pretty small amount of the population who want electric still at this time from what we see.

example, the i3s we sold a 4-1 ratio of hybrid set up over the all electric. people still like having the option of fueling up over plugging in. Could be different as time goes on and more options come available as far as plug in stations and vehicles

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      10-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

BMW does not need to advertise to the hardcore M enthusiasts, because enthusiasts have been following this since the first leaked pictures. What BMW is doing is advertising to the mass market, with these action packed adverts or whatever they call this.

However, as Golfer mentioned, this vehicle will be bought by all ages and demographics. I think everyone can find something they like in this overall package. Whether it's performance, looks, driveability, status symbol, etc
      10-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

EeeeverrryOne !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
I'm just asking out of curiosity since we've all seen the marketing campaign and are confused. What age group / demographic are going to buy these cars? Are the customers going to be younger or older? I'm just curious because they are not cheap cars and given today's push towards the electric market and the younger generation I was wondering.
If you have been following all of bmws global campaigns they have been focusing on projecting a younger, hip, tech forward brand identity. (With the notable exception of the X models in North America, they will not fuck with the soccer mom/dad targeting)

This serves a couple goals, you can decide for yourself if it works for you or not I'm just going to tell you what I am thinking they are going after from where I sit in my day to day (not at bmw) these are not in order of magnitude but in order of "distance from core enthusiast"
1. Core BMW Enthusiast - do you really need an M commercial? Ads will be basically a non factor in this customers decision tree
2. Car enthusiast open to shopping around - same as above, not buying for brand image, will be focused on specs and capabilities, ads serve no purpose (many who cannot actually afford the car fall into this or above bucket but the use case is the same)
3. Target financial demo. likes "nice" or "special" cars, but not a true enthusiast (that excludes anyone on this board, if you are chatting about this car, following the level of detail on dedicated brand fan sites you have crossed over) - Brand image is critical here, probably the most important component, it's true bmw is not projecting executive express and this would be where I see the most risk.... however their agency and internal folks are convinced rightly or wrongly the below #4 will pull along #3 or more than cover any sales lost from #3
4. Target financial demo, likes being trendy or leader of the pack, likes to stand out. Is strongly influenced by younger trends to stay "cool" and has the financial means to buy into brands that let them walk that line (or are actually in that age bracket and have means, think Silicon Valley type or other). Technology forward and self expression are the two largest driving components in this followed closely by fashion (and remember folks, on trend fashion is often jarring to the avg joe/jane, think met gala red carpet not boardroom meeting)
5. out of target financial demo same needs and desires as #4 but without means for an M, oh hey have you seen this 330, if following the 330 ads, 4 series ads generally fall into this same mission of expressiveness, hip, tech forward so it completes the circle

If I had to summarize the hypothetical last slide in the hypothetical presentation at the pitch meeting years ago: BMW wants to be the brand for successful tech and entrepreneurs, the "grey suits" more often than not wish they could be them so they will also be enticed"
Appreciate 5
ASAP10052.50
JCZ51482.50
VetteGuy845.50
Remonster821.00
      10-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

china. worldwide premiere was not frankfurt...it was beijing. new money. biggest market. for every m3/m4 they sell there will be 100 X3's
Avaley728.00
BigHunk269.50
      10-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I really like my G20 so I'm strongly considering one once my lease is up. Dog likes it in the back, plenty of space for loot etc. I'm hoping the LCI version has a different nose, but I doubt it. They should of just given the 4 series snout to the M4 and let people decide with their wallet, but the current head of design at BMW clearly has nothing but disdain for what came before or what enthusiasts think.

The removal of 5.5KG of sound deadening is the most concerning to me. One of the things which annoyed me about my M2C was the lack of insulation, all you heard was tire roar. They did that so you could hear the engine but it was literally inaudible below 4K RPM anyway so I really didn't see the point. My E90 M3 was the opposite, was great on a cruise. I guess they equate tire roar to being 'raw' but it just makes the car tiring and tinny.

All the things I like about my G20 (refinement, quality, comfort, tech, no fuss attitude) could still be present. It would be a pure street car for me, so the weight and 8AT whilst being a disappointing downgrade don't matter as much. If your not tracking it I think its less clear than any previous generation why you should pick the M3 over the M340i at this point. And for the track an F80 is going to get you most of the performance with significantly lower weight at a materially lower price point. However I do want those bucket seats, and every driveway should have an M on it regardless
Appreciate 2
Remonster821.00
Poochie9099.00
      10-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

How many 20 something people you see with expensive cars when you pull up at the light? Just go to some of the high schools and see the cars in parking lot. Hell, go on YouTube and watch these guys modding 60k plus cars. We've in different times with unprecedented wealth and credit, so BMW knows what they are doing. I am 56 and have never owned a new BMW and am contemplating on dropping 80k + now but I grew up in a different time. I remember paying 60k for a used 7 and when I got home I asked myself what the hell did I just do. Lol, I never told my dad when he was living because I couldn't of imagined how he would of reacted.
Move over for the next generation
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 4
Jmpascual687.50
KoenG1417.50
Avaley728.00
      10-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Yea but here's the thing, even though kids have access to more money now then ever before (Silicon Valley, influencers, rich parents), how many of these really are there? On top of that, how of many of those kids cared about performance German cars? When I was in high school, all I saw were Mustangs (like basic Mustangs), which are not M cars.

I think that even though they are marketing to these kids with money, those kids don't really care unless their true enthusiasts. Most want to Tik Tok their Tesla taking them to Nobu as opposed to feel the thrill of driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Idk. Based on the advertisements you’d think that prospective buyers will be viral Tik Tokkers.

I hear they make millions a year so they can definitely afford this type of car...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

All so true. Just look at the changes to the advertising... target market?

THEN:

NOW:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I think xlover explained it well and I myself fall into his #2 category of an enthusiast shopping the market.

Can’t disagree with karussell, China is where the money is now, but the new grill design has nothing to do with China, it’s about the i4 and Using all of the 4ers to create that niche. I can’t explain the M3 though.

Montaver sums up the reason that a true M car is not a daily driver for a lot of people who appreciate and lust after them. Again, I fall into that logic as well and this I bought a M440iX in lieu of the M4 which would have been so cool.

Wyndi3351 is correct, there are more than a few young enthusiasts with good paying jobs, or parents who do, willing to buy and mod expensive cars. I’m even older than him and have always driven nice new cars and a few classics, but I’ve worked hard to do that.

And ThatKrazyPolak is also correct that a significant number of 20-30 somethings consider cars as a necessary evil more so than they have real enthusiasm for cars fast sexy cars.

So, with all that said... BMW appears to be marketing across all of those segments, hoping to capture market share among each of them. Tough nuts to crack in the US though where trucks and SUVs rule the roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I think xlover explained it well and I myself fall into his #2 category of an enthusiast shopping the market.

Can’t disagree with karussell, China is where the money is now, but the new grill design has nothing to do with China, it’s about the i4 and Using all of the 4ers to create that niche. I can’t explain the M3 though.

Montaver sums up the reason that a true M car is not a daily driver for a lot of people who appreciate and lust after them. Again, I fall into that logic as well and this I bought a M440iX in lieu of the M4 which would have been so cool.

Wyndi3351 is correct, there are more than a few young enthusiasts with good paying jobs, or parents who do, willing to buy and mod expensive cars. I’m even older than him and have always driven nice new cars and a few classics, but I’ve worked hard to do that.

And ThatKrazyPolak is also correct that a significant number of 20-30 somethings consider cars as a necessary evil more so than they have real enthusiasm for cars fast sexy cars.

So, with all that said... BMW appears to be marketing across all of those segments, hoping to capture market share among each of them. Tough nuts to crack in the US though where trucks and SUVs rule the roads.
You could argue the M340/440i (I prefer the face of the 340 ) is the range sweet spot, I suspect you will be very happy with it. Even my 330i is a fun steer despite the fact is on base suspension, there's definitely a talented chassis lurking under there. The M340i is a big step up from the F series 340i which has the steering and suspension from a Toyota Camry. There was a much bigger gap between a F30 340i and F8x M3/4, outside of the engine the F30 was pretty unimpressive in my opinion.

With the M340i you still have the fantastic B58 engine, with a properly dialled in chassis, and this time an actual limited slip differential as standard and substantial brakes. The exclusivity of the M3/4 seems to be bucket seats, a manual transmission, and the ability to cover it in M performance carbon fiber crap that does nothing in reality. Spec sheets don't say it all though, and I'm sure driven back to back the differences will be more apparent. I'm certain dynamically the G80 will be exceptional for its size and weight, but those are two very big caveats that for me limit it's application as the best choice for performance driving scenarios. Luckily they have a chance to rectify both of those limitations with the G87 M2, which I suspect will be the last standout car BMW make with an ICE.
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      10-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #19
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Median stats of buyer: Male, 42, homeowner, married filing jointly income of ~200k, 2.5 kids and a labrador, credit score of 758. Main use is driving kids to school and going 10 over during rush hour and tracks it once a year.

Tbf this is exactly the type of car and pricing you would want BMW to make if you were a BMW shareholder.
Appreciate 3
xlover2191.00
LSM1118.00
themnmd1687.00
      10-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #20
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I’ve managed to get a few hours of seat time in the M340i and really enjoyed it. Great motor and good handling. Not enough hours in it thought really deny the steering complaints I’ve read, but I’ve felt worse. I’m really looking forward to the arrival in about 2 more weeks. At sea today.

I just wanted another coupe because it’s usually just me, or the wife and I, or my Labrador and I. And, I never hesitated about the grill, I like everything about the exterior except the silver nuggets in the grill but I’ll fix that. Interior and tech is in my opinion best in class. I absolutely hate how so many cars have the media display up on the dash like an iPad laying there.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2066.50
      10-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #21
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Median stats of buyer: Male, 42, homeowner, married filing jointly income of ~200k, 2.5 kids and a labrador, credit score of 758. Main use is driving kids to school and going 10 over during rush hour and tracks it once a year.

Tbf this is exactly the type of car and pricing you would want BMW to make if you were a BMW shareholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I’ve managed to get a few hours of seat time in the M340i and really enjoyed it. Great motor and good handling. Not enough hours in it thought really deny the steering complaints I’ve read, but I’ve felt worse. I’m really looking forward to the arrival in about 2 more weeks. At sea today.

I just wanted another coupe because it’s usually just me, or the wife and I, or my Labrador and I. And, I never hesitated about the grill, I like everything about the exterior except the silver nuggets in the grill but I’ll fix that. Interior and tech is in my opinion best in class. I absolutely hate how so many cars have the media display up on the dash like an iPad laying there.
LOL somehow I had a feeling buyers (myself included) would consider their dog in the purchasing decision, which is why the G82x is way more casual buyer geared.

BMW is doing a better job of product delineation (ala Porsche) and the M2 will be clear choice for the hardcore M car enthusiast but not super puppy friendly.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2066.50
      10-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #22
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
LOL somehow I had a feeling buyers (myself included) would consider their dog in the purchasing decision, which is why the G82x is way more casual buyer geared.

BMW is doing a better job of product delineation (ala Porsche) and the M2 will be clear choice for the hardcore M car enthusiast but not super puppy friendly.
My dogs order of preference -

1. G20 330i - Can fully lounge across the back and set the climate control to her preference. Can comfortably stick her head out the window and bark at pedestrians.
2. E90 M3 - Good lounge ability, bench slightly shallow. Good rear windows for hanging out of.
3. M2C - Seats too shallow, plastic bit in the middle to prevent lounging. Cant stick her head out the window. Complained on long journeys. Didn't like the manual trans.
Appreciate 2
Avaley728.00
JDUNITNOW3453.00