BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-16-2024, 01:54 PM   #23
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Pretty sure he could buy a couple of seconds if he had less tics and adjustments to his suit and harness and with shit he had to get off the floor to toss in the back and miss a shift. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:19 PM   #24
Trevorr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 GT500 CFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
The Ring is a great place for manufacturers to test their cars during development, but it's overrated as a benchmark for claiming one car is better or faster than another (unless the difference in times is huge). I never hear pro drivers make such comparisons, when they race at the Ring their laptimes often vary by multiple seconds. Any car's ring time could be improved by renting out the track for a week and using pro drivers to constantly run laps and burn through tires until the track conditions are perfect and the driver has a mostly error free lap so they get a phenomenal laptime.
We'll just have to wait until more and more track times are posted. C&D did the CS at VIR and it was only 3 seconds faster than the M3CX.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 01:45 PM   #25
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Then quite surprising that the M4 CSL was 10 seconds faster than the M3 CS and 12 seconds faster than the M4 Cx.
Not really - the CSL was always going to be faster around a track. It was tested with Cup 2R tyres. And it’s a fair bit lighter than the CS too.
      04-17-2024, 01:51 PM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
You don’t at minimum at least flash your cars for more power? Easy reliable power unlock. 🤷*♂️
The point it, upping power won't necessarily mean better lap times.

The 2,000 HP Nevera has a time that's 2 seconds faster than the Taycan Turbo GT....which has 900 HP less.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 02:56 PM   #27
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

^^^ That’s two different cars man. The Taycan would be a little faster than itself if it had more power itself. Some of that can be used and made up in the straight, but in all actuality, if the driver of this CS would have fucked with his lapel a little less and not missed a shift, I’m sure at least a single second could have been shaved off. Lol The car is also all over the place and heavy-looking in the turns. He’s got it in 4WD, which does change the dynamics out of a corner and I’m not sure if he tried it in 4WD Sport to see if it would have helped the times at all. Same power, more weight than the CSL and handling differences from the AWD system is enough to make it go slower, but this video does make it look much heavier of a car than the CSL was with supposedly the same driver. Maybe he’ll run another time and get faster… the first CSL time wasn’t the fastest either and was superseded by a faster one at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 04:27 PM   #28
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
^^^ That’s two different cars man. The Taycan would be a little faster than itself if it had more power itself. Some of that can be used and made up in the straight, but in all actuality, if the driver of this CS would have fucked with his lapel a little less and not missed a shift, I’m sure at least a single second could have been shaved off. Lol The car is also all over the place and heavy-looking in the turns. He’s got it in 4WD, which does change the dynamics out of a corner and I’m not sure if he tried it in 4WD Sport to see if it would have helped the times at all. Same power, more weight than the CSL and handling differences from the AWD system is enough to make it go slower, but this video does make it look much heavier of a car than the CSL was with supposedly the same driver. Maybe he’ll run another time and get faster… the first CSL time wasn’t the fastest either and was superseded by a faster one at a later date.
It is quite a bit heavier than the CSL. Also, a few years back BMW did classify how their cars should be viewed with CSL meaning “most track focused car” CS meaning “can be used on track” and Competition to mean “high performance road car that you can take to the track”. I think there’s a picture of the actual definitions somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it. But it shouldn’t be surprising that the CSL has the best time, it’s on more track focused tyres (the Cup 2 R) and it’s at least 100-150kg lighter. 4WD doesn’t count for much on a dry race track, it’s useful for off the line performance and low traction conditions (when it’s wet).
      04-17-2024, 04:35 PM   #29
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
It is quite a bit heavier than the CSL. Also, a few years back BMW did classify how their cars should be viewed with CSL meaning “most track focused car” CS meaning “can be used on track” and Competition to mean “high performance road car that you can take to the track”. I think there’s a picture of the actual definitions somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it. But it shouldn’t be surprising that the CSL has the best time, it’s on more track focused tyres (the Cup 2 R) and it’s at least 100-150kg lighter. 4WD doesn’t count for much on a dry race track, it’s useful for off the line performance and low traction conditions (when it’s wet).
Found it…
Attached Images

04-17-2024, 07:33 PM   #30
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
I'm a bit confused by this 'ring result for the CS. Specifically, with the same driver, the M3 CS (with Cup 2 tires) was only 2 seconds faster than a regular M4 Comp xDrive with street tires (PS4S presumably). Assuming the Cup 2 tires are good for at least a second or 2 on the 'ring, why would a regular M4 xDrive have the same performance as the M3 CS which is both lighter and has at least 20 more HP?

This is in rather stark contrast to the performance of the M4 CSL which is a full 10 seconds fast than the M3 CS (and in this case, both cars were using Cup 2 tires). Of course, the M4 CSL is a few hundred pounds lighter, but has the same HP.

Any thoughts?
just to add to what others have pointed out, this track has 154 corners. the top drivers there say that you can never have a perfect lap. you are bound to mess up a few corners here, gain time in a few corners there, it's hard to compare absolute times because the human variability is so different.

hockenheim has 17 corners. a seasoned pro can do a repeatable lap reliably (weather and tire etc comparable). nobody can do a repeatable Ring lap. those times cannot be used to compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:36 PM   #31
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
Found it…
M performance and M high performance? any examples of these cars? where would say a M340i fit i this chart?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 10:14 PM   #32
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
M performance and M high performance? any examples of these cars? where would say a M340i fit i this chart?
In the M Performance category. The base M cars are M High Performance and your 340 is under that.

If you go to BMW’s site you’ll see when you pull up M cars that the other B58 based cars are in the base category there, which is below the S58 equipped ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:26 PM   #33
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
I’m guessing M performance. The non-competition M cars would be M high performance.