BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #23
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

The point I never agree with in the M3/M4 vs 911 debate is the characterization of the 911 as an "all rounder"/"daily driver" . The 911 to me is just a toy car, it is an excellent toy and does accomplish its two goals amazingly 1) driving experience and 2) Exclusivity/luxury

Considering the 911 does not have to compromise for everyday practicality it should be dynamically superior to an M3/M4. I think it is great to use as a bar for what BMW can do with the M twins considering the functional requirements of the platform. I never understand the comparisons where one looks at a missing feature or dynamic "failure" of the M3/M4 and says "welp now i am switching to porsche" as if the two vehicles are interchangeable

for me a true daily driver has to be useable everyday of the week, with the 911 you can never
-take yourself and friend to the golf course along with both bags of clubs, really you cant even take yourself unless you are clown and put the clubs in the cabin on the passenger seat (would this count for HOV status?)
-self and partner for week away, at least not the way my wife packs
-self, partner, +1 child for anything but an in town trip (if you disagree tell me where the stroller goes lol)

The 911 however does
-dominate back roads
-dominate swagger in bumper to bumper traffic on the way to the office
Appreciate 5
JTO245271.50
EXE462100.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
Puuhapete145.00
      05-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #24
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The point I never agree with in the M3/M4 vs 911 debate is the characterization of the 911 as an "all rounder"/"daily driver" . The 911 to me is just a toy car, it is an excellent toy and does accomplish its two goals amazingly 1) driving experience and 2) Exclusivity/luxury

Considering the 911 does not have to compromise for everyday practicality it should be dynamically superior to an M3/M4. I think it is great to use as a bar for what BMW can do with the M twins considering the functional requirements of the platform. I never understand the comparisons where one looks at a missing feature or dynamic "failure" of the M3/M4 and says "welp now i am switching to porsche" as if the two vehicles are interchangeable

for me a true daily driver has to be useable everyday of the week, with the 911 you can never
-take yourself and friend to the golf course along with both bags of clubs, really you cant even take yourself unless you are clown and put the clubs in the cabin on the passenger seat (would this count for HOV status?)
-self, partner, +1 child for anything but an in town trip (if you disagree tell me where the stroller goes lol)

The 911 however does
-dominate back roads
I'll make a bet you haven't ever driven a 911.

Why not add not being able to clear 12" of water?

People that haven't driven one should really check themselves at the door before posting.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I'll make a bet you haven't ever driven a 911.

Why not add not being able to clear 12" of water?

People that haven't driven one should really check themselves at the door before posting.
I think you are making my point, right? Its a toy, totally focused on driving experience at the expense of being practical as an all rounder?

I think there is a marked difference between everyday usability and offroading.

This is what i was getting at, some people make a list of cars with great driving experience and then rank them based on quality of experience without consideration of the actual usefulness as an everyday vehicle... i would expect the 911 to win that 10/10 times for its price class and near priced cohorts. But the second any all round practicality comes into the equation the 911 has to be deleted from that list, right? I suppose the definition of practicality will vary from person to person....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
If you can even find one--not even Champion has any 911s in stock, the Carrera S2 goes for >$135,000 with the "normal" vastly overpriced options they all are ordered with. A nicely optioned M3/4 Comp is mid '80s. $50,000 is a LOT of money. The 992 is a great car. So is a Ferrari 812. But price/performance comes into it for most of us. The M gives very little away--VERY little, in performance and is far more luxurious, IMO. Easy choice.
Price aside, I think the 911 exudes a much higher level of luxury, quality and finishing overall. Thing is, you cannot get a 911 right now and if you can you're paying over.
I can have an m3 or m4 at a decent discount. There's a lot of value in the M3/4 which that is partly what sells them - although the M3 will depreciate a lot so that delta in new price becomes much closer. Porsche is not about value nor will it ever will be yet the demand is through the roof even for a base 911. Just wait to see the GTS...

To me, if you want the best all around GT/sport car the 911 is the hands down winner as it continues to prove to be.
If you need practicality, but want performance the m3 is the car to have.

The winner here beyond which car you pick is you and I. Both available in manual and are fun to drive.
Yes, allocations are difficult right now. Fortunately I found one. You're fairly spot on with pricing. My car is $137,050, but I also optioned the $7,000 GT3-esque AeroKit. Subtract that and a few excess leather options that a Full Leather M3 doesn't have (...leather wrapped steering console and map light area) and the price drops to $128k-ish. My G8X at MSRP was $86,000, so your point is still fair. BMW definitely spoils us for the money. I concede that. The 992 represents the first time I actually like the dash area of a Porsche. It's the first time I've ever liked the manual transmission shift knob of a Porsche. In fact, the rear end design of the 992 is fantastic. It was the perfect time for me to make the jump. With more money available I would have a G82 and my 992 Carrera S, but alas, I'm not a baller......so the Porsche won. It was always going to win eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
A tie with a 911 is a huge win for BMW, especially when it comes to value.
Agreed! BMW M has always been the value option. I love the M3/M4. If I weren't finally going Porsche my G8X would be here in July/August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
If you can even find one--not even Champion has any 911s in stock, the Carrera S2 goes for >$135,000 with the "normal" vastly overpriced options they all are ordered with. A nicely optioned M3/4 Comp is mid '80s. $50,000 is a LOT of money. The 992 is a great car. So is a Ferrari 812. But price/performance comes into it for most of us. The M gives very little away--VERY little, in performance and is far more luxurious, IMO. Easy choice.
Price aside, I think the 911 exudes a much higher level of luxury, quality and finishing overall. Thing is, you cannot get a 911 right now and if you can you're paying over.
I can have an m3 or m4 at a decent discount. There's a lot of value in the M3/4 which that is partly what sells them - although the M3 will depreciate a lot so that delta in new price becomes much closer. Porsche is not about value nor will it ever will be yet the demand is through the roof even for a base 911. Just wait to see the GTS...

To me, if you want the best all around GT/sport car the 911 is the hands down winner as it continues to prove to be.
If you need practicality, but want performance the m3 is the car to have.

The winner here beyond which car you pick is you and I. Both available in manual and are fun to drive.
I'm getting a 992 C2S and am not paying over MSRP, nor are others on here that are getting 992s…..

Also, that is for an ordered car and euro delivery in the fall.

All the G80s and allocations for G80s within a couple 100 miles of me are all marked up $10-20k.

Agree on all your other points. Also, a 911 C2S is the only non-GT luxury sports car that holds 70%+ of its value over three years (assuming you don't option it to something ridiculous like over $145k).
Yep, I'm getting mine under sticker luckily.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      05-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post

The 911 however does
-dominate back roads
It depends on the lifestyle. I have no kids. My 992 could be sufficient for a week long getaway with a female friend. That said, I get your point. There's much less usable storage space in the Porsche. I have another auto with plenty of space, so the Porsche will be a targeted weekend toy.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #28
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

I understand the tie but goddamnit when you see the hips of a guards red 992 in front of you ...
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I have a tuned F90 M5 and I still daily my 992 more often. Anyone here trying to "justify" a G80 over a 992 is just too poor to own one. Enough with the 'ticks all the boxes' nonsense already.

I used to be of the same mindset and until I drove a 911 I "got it".
While I won't call others poor (...because that likely isn't true), it's definitely a strong financial consideration. The sale of my M4 in this market is what made the 992 Carrera S possible for me. I'm under no allusions otherwise. Porsche nickels and dimes; overcharges substantially. I found myself robbing Peter to pay Paul just to keep my car at/sub $137k. I rebuilt my Carrera S AT LEAST 15 times trying to perfectly configure it in a way that'll make me happy (...I'll be keeping it and it's the last car I'll buy). It took multiple dealership visits and lots of compromise. I ditched the carbon fiber roof in favor of full leather. I ditched Sport PASM in favor of the BOSE stereo. Lots of tweaks after seeing cars in person and listening to the audio......and comparing it to my experiences in full leather/HK Audio M's the last 20 years or so. It's a brutal exercise when you're buying a Porsche on a budget. It made me appreciate BMW more than I already did.
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #30
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I had an apple once and it didn't taste like an orange

Can't compare cars that with similar options are not even within $20,000 of each other. Let alone the practicality part of it.

If we all needed only 2 usable seats and were given the choice to drive one for free, we would take the 911...

Real world with a family, M3
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
      05-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #31
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

As a sports car its just not even close. 911 will always win.

Its also convenient how bimmerpost always touts how the g8x is the best value... but i've yet to see it compared to the new corvette.

Bottom line is the g8x is NOT the best value : performance car, and its also NOT better than the 911.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

Can't compare cars that with similar options are not even within $20,000 of each other. Let alone the practicality part of it.

If we all needed only 2 usable seats and were given the choice to drive one for free, we would take the 911...

As always, BMW is compared to Porsche because it punches above its weight in the performance category. These comparisons won't end. It's no different than lower priced cars being compared to the M3 because those cars punch above their weight.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      05-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #33
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:

As always, BMW is compared to Porsche because it punches above its weight in the performance category. These comparisons won't end. It's no different than lower priced cars being compared to the M3 because those cars punch above their weight.
Yeah but the corvette crushed the BMW when it comes to punching above weight.

Why dont I see any posts comparing the g8x to that here?? Pick and choosing much huh
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Why dont I see any posts comparing the g8x to that here?? Pick and choosing much huh
The Corvette always has.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #35
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post

If you know the history of the 911 then you would know many calling it a very good example of a dual purpose sports car. Now if you read the article, they emphasize the M3 is becoming a better dual purpose car value wise. Was the Corvette known for being a dual purpose car? Nope, but I'm sure they will get "compared" one of these days (Motortrend's Driver's Car of the Year or CarandDriver's Lightning Lap Competition). Based on other reviews, the G80 just does a better daily driven luxuries car that you can take it to track better than its competitors and certainly than its predecessors.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #36
Horns0897
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 911 S Cabriolet

Quote:
I have a tuned F90 M5 and I still daily my 992 more often. Anyone here trying to "justify" a G80 over a 992 is just too poor to own one. Enough with the 'ticks all the boxes' nonsense already.

I used to be of the same mindset and until I drove a 911 I "got it".
Sorry but these type of posts are unnecessary. I have a 911 and daily an A5. I am considering going back to one car which would be a G80. Everyone’s situation is different.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
Puuhapete145.00
      05-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #37
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
While I won't call others poor, it's definitely a strong financial consideration. The sale of my M4 in this market is what made the 992 Carrera S possible for me. I'm under no allusions otherwise. Porsche nickels and dimes; overcharges substantially. I found myself robbing Peter to pay Paul just to keep my car at/sub $137k. I rebuilt my Carrera S AT LEAST 15 times trying to perfectly configure it in a way that'll make me happy (...I'll be keeping it and it's the last car I'll buy). It took multiple visits and lots of compromise. I ditched the carbon fiber roof in favor of full leather. I ditched Sport PASM in favor of the BOSE stereo. Lots of tweaks after seeing cars in person and listening to the audio......and comparing it to my experiences in full leather/HK Audio M's the last 13 years or so. It's a brutal exercise when you're buying a Porsche on a budget. It made me appreciate BMW more than I already did.
I for one wouldn't care to much about the extra money at purchase. If you ever sell the P car, you aren't going to lose much and in some cases,nothing! With all this EV junk coming, they may all be more valuable in 5-10 years The M will be half the value in 4-5 years? To me, if the only thing stopping you is the initial price, then suck it up, get the car you want and live it up. YOLO
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
While I won't call others poor, it's definitely a strong financial consideration. The sale of my M4 in this market is what made the 992 Carrera S possible for me. I'm under no allusions otherwise. Porsche nickels and dimes; overcharges substantially. I found myself robbing Peter to pay Paul just to keep my car at/sub $137k. I rebuilt my Carrera S AT LEAST 15 times trying to perfectly configure it in a way that'll make me happy (...I'll be keeping it and it's the last car I'll buy). It took multiple visits and lots of compromise. I ditched the carbon fiber roof in favor of full leather. I ditched Sport PASM in favor of the BOSE stereo. Lots of tweaks after seeing cars in person and listening to the audio......and comparing it to my experiences in full leather/HK Audio M's the last 13 years or so. It's a brutal exercise when you're buying a Porsche on a budget. It made me appreciate BMW more than I already did.
I for one wouldn't care to much about the extra money at purchase. If you ever sell the P car, you aren't going to lose much and in some cases,nothing! With all this EV junk coming, they may all be more valuable in 5-10 years The M will be half the value in 4-5 years? To me, if the only thing stopping you is the initial price, then suck it up, get the car you want and live it up. YOLO
Nothing is stopping me. My Carrera S will be here in December. I still have a budget. The car is finally specc'd perfectly for my tastes.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #39
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nothing is stopping me. My Carrera S will be here in December. I still have a budget. The car is finally specc'd perfectly for my tastes.
No need to rub it in!!!! I wasn't talking about you. Good luck with your new car bud!!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #40
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have contemplated selling my GTR and M4 and grabbing a GT3. My buddy has a 2019 Miami blue one and I love it!! So, that's what I would want. Just haven't pulled the trigger. Luckily, I can use his every once in awhile
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No need to rub it in!!!! I wasn't talking about you. Good luck with your new car bud!!
Quote:

I thought you were referring to me personally.

Quote:
I have contemplated selling my GTR and M4 and grabbing a GT3. My buddy has a 2019 Miami blue one and I love it!! So, that's what I would want. Just haven't pulled the trigger. Luckily, I can use his every once in awhile
You should do it. YOLO right?
Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00
      05-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #42
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
It depends on the lifestyle. I have no kids. My 992 could be sufficient for a week long getaway with a female friend. That said, I get your point. There's much less usable storage space in the Porsche. I have another auto with plenty of space, so the Porsche will be a targeted weekend toy.
Congrats! make sure to write a review once you take delivery. Porsche 911 is always what bimmer owners aspire to one day own. You're living the dream man...
      05-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #43
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I know!! Just so hard to sell my GTR, LOL But I can't have that and the GT3. I mean I could but don't want that set up
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Congrats! make sure to write a review once you take delivery. Porsche 911 is always what bimmer owners aspire to one day own. You're living the dream man...
Oh I plan to. Just my few test drives in 991.2 911 S's and a 992 Carrera S have me uber excited. I'm ready for the next level.

Quote:
Quote:
I know!! Just so hard to sell my GTR, LOL But I can't have that and the GT3. I mean I could but don't want that set up
Hard emotionally or due to the market?
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00