BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #111
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyJ View Post
No such thing as a 2017 gt3
Really.

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/p...-40-6mt-500-hp

991.2 GT3 2017–2019 3,996 500 PS (368 kW; 493 hp) 460 N⋅m (339 lbf⋅ft) 1,430 kg (3,153 lb) (PDK)
1,413 kg (3,115 lb) (manual) 9,500 3.4 seconds (PDK)
3.9 seconds (manual) 318 km/h (198 mph) (PDK)
320 km/h (199 mph) (manual)

Could have fooled my friend who bought it in 2018.
Hey bud, quick question for you. What side of the car is he sitting in? Could that be the right side, as in a UK vehicle, as in a country that labels model years differently than we do in the US?

In the US there was no 2017 GT3. Here it was known as a 2018. Unless you and your friend live in the Colorado in the UK, I'm struggling to see how you drove a 2017 GT3.

For example here is a review of the "new" 991.2 2018 GT3 in the US.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Here is another. Well will you look at that, no GT3 in 2017.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...-photos-specs/

And another

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsch...-ar186268.html

I feel like you get the point now.

Also, before you go on and say "but but but look at the link I linked to on auto evolution it says 2017!" let me remind you that Romania (where they are based) also does model years differently than we do in the US, like the UK and the rest of Europe.

I think we could have all chocked this up to a simple mistake and we would all believe you drove your buddy's 991.2 but that you just got the MY wrong because you don't live and breath Porsche, but the fact that you doubled down now brings your whole "experience" into question.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
Vic5518965.50
kjx3162.50
      05-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #112
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 992 gt3, 992 turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I agree - the 7 speed is good, certainly better than any other 6 speed I've driven from anyone else, but the 6 speed is truly a life changing driving experience.
My buddies GT3 is manual. It's so bad ass to drive. The sound is just magic. I think he just has an Xpipe or some type of small exhaust mod and it's bonkers
He has a center muffler Delete
I have one too, along with valves unplugged

Sounds epic
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #113
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree - the 7 speed is good, certainly better than any other 6 speed I've driven from anyone else, but the 6 speed is truly a life changing driving experience.
My buddies GT3 is manual. It's so bad ass to drive. The sound is just magic. I think he just has an Xpipe or some type of small exhaust mod and it's bonkers

Sounds epic
What does the center muffler delete look like?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #114
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds epic
Replaces the center muffler with piping
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      05-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #115
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds epic
So legit!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #116
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds epic
So legit!
You need to hear the Soul system on the 992 C2S too! It's not as amazing as the GT3 obviously (!94 NA) but makes the turbos sound amazing and the exhaust sound really good for a turbo.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #117
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
So legit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
You need to hear the Soul system on the 992 C2S too! It's not as amazing as the GT3 obviously (!94 NA) but makes the turbos sound amazing and the exhaust sound really good for a turbo.
Heres a clip of my 2020 911 S with Soul sport cats and BMC drop in filters. No tune, no CEL. I love this combo.

My turbos whistle like a MF'er.
JTO245246.50
      05-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #118
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Hey bud, quick question for you. What side of the car is he sitting in? Could that be the right side, as in a UK vehicle, as in a country that labels model years differently than we do in the US?

In the US there was no 2017 GT3. Here it was known as a 2018. Unless you and your friend live in the Colorado in the UK, I'm struggling to see how you drove a 2017 GT3.

And another

Also, before you go on and say "but but but look at the link I linked to on auto evolution it says 2017!" let me remind you that Romania (where they are based) also does model years differently than we do in the US, like the UK and the rest of Europe.

I think we could have all chocked this up to a simple mistake and we would all believe you drove your buddy's 991.2 but that you just got the MY wrong because you don't live and breath Porsche, but the fact that you doubled down now brings your whole "experience" into question.
The car was bought by an Air Force Viper pilot stationed in Germany in 2017. It was a 2017 GT3. His wife was also an Air Force officer and they had no kids, so he could splurge. He received PCS orders to Hill AFB, UT and found they would be having an addition to the family, so reluctantly decided to sell. After arriving at Hill, he put it up for sale. My friend heard about it--he like I are former Air Force and have a pretty good network, flew to Ogden and bought it--used, on the spot. You seemed to be obsessed with RHD vice LHD, so here's one--of many, with a LHD, test drive in Switzerland.
or did you think only the UK got the cars?
As to what countries call what car what model year, A: it is immaterial and B: I don't gas. The car owned by my friend which I drove was a 2017. He also owned the 993 I drove--'95 Cab. By what convoluted logic would you think I'd make this up? I just bought my first BMW and joined this forum to learn about them and discuss them with other owners. I've never owned a Porsche, but have several friends who are deep in the hobby and always have liked them. This thread was very interesting to me, and I joined in--not to be attacked by some anonymous "expert" who doesn't know anything about me, but to give my experience. The same reason I joined Corvetteforum back in '06 when I bought my first one. There, also, were many "experts" who often talked through their ass. I was hoping this forum would be different in that respect. Evidently, not so.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Quote:
So legit!
Quote:
Heres a clip of my 2020 911 S with Soul sport cats and BMC drop in filters. No tune, no CEL. I love this combo.

That's LOVELY induction noise. How much are the Soul sports cats and BMC filters? I want to do that on my 992.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3014.00
      05-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #120
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And another

The car was bought by an Air Force Viper pilot stationed in Germany in 2017. It was a 2017 GT3. His wife was also an Air Force officer and they had no kids, so he could splurge. He received PCS orders to Hill AFB, UT and found they would be having an addition to the family, so reluctantly decided to sell. After arriving at Hill, he put it up for sale. My friend heard about it--he like I are former Air Force and have a pretty good network, flew to Ogden and bought it--used, on the spot. You seemed to be obsessed with RHD vice LHD, so here's one--of many, with a LHD, test drive in Switzerland.
As to what countries call what car what model year, A: it is immaterial and B: I don't gas. The car owned by my friend which I drove was a 2017. He also owned the 993 I drove--'95 Cab. By what convoluted logic would you think I'd make this up? I just bought my first BMW and joined this forum to learn about them and discuss them with other owners. I've never owned a Porsche, but have several friends who are deep in the hobby and always have liked them. This thread was very interesting to me, and I joined in--not to be attacked by some anonymous "expert" who doesn't know anything about me, but to give my experience. The same reason I joined Corvetteforum back in '06 when I bought my first one. There, also, were many "experts" who often talked through their ass. I was hoping this forum would be different in that respect. Evidently, not so.
I think you reinforced his main point, which was....there was no 2017 GT3 in the U.S. Your friend bought his is Germany, and their MY procedures differ from ours. It was honest discourse from both sides.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      05-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #121
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So legit!
Quote:

I had this setup on my 2021 and it thru a cel.. the 2021 had tightened emissions so beware
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #122
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
That's LOVELY induction noise. How much are the Soul sports cats and BMC filters? I want to do that on my 992.
Thank you. Roughly 3K give or take a couple hundred for eveything.

Quote:
I had this setup on my 2021 and it thru a cel.. the 2021 had tightened emissions so beware
I recently heard about that on the soul thread over at rennlist. Im a 2020 so no issues for me at all. I think they found a O2 extension that solved it for the MY21's. Im not 100% positive on that though.

Did you sell your 2021???
      05-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #123
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And another

Lmao what Sedan_Clan said.

Hey bud, did you not see my comment re Romania and the rest of Europe having different model designations? No shit LHD cars exist in Europe, but you just literally reinforced my point - there was no 2017 GT3 in the US.

Also, as a vet myself who spent some time in Germany, if he bought a US spec car through the mil sales program (i.e., the only way I know of that he could have bought it to legally import back to the US), then it would have been a 2018 GT3 as the model year designations would be the same as in the US, unless the entire mil sales program has changed in the last 4 years. If your other friend bought a German spec car, I'm curious how he was able to bring it back into the states with the import laws.

And I never claimed to be an expert, and I'm not "attacking" you. But you are also some anonymous dude that has claimed to drive every Porsche ever (even ones that likely don't exist in the US) and then make a blanket statement….. sorry if I don't take your word when I don't know you and it seems like you may be getting simple facts wrong.

Listen, I want to believe you, I really do, but your certainty about something that has a very small chance of being true (give them he reality of mil sales and import laws) is enough cause for me to question your story, that's all. At the end of the day, I 100% open to the possibility that I am wrong.

How about this, I believe you man, your bud has the only 2017 EU spec GT3 in existence in the US. He should hold that car forever because it's going to be worth insane money in 5-10 years.

Happy you joined the forum, and generally we are all good respectful guys, but you came in hot without the context you have finally provided that if true, would make your buddy's car one of the rarest GT3s in the US.

Edit: Listen, you can ignore much of the above. The best part of owning a Porsche or a BMW is the community. I too have been excited about a new car and gotten on the forums just to come across a bunch of asshats and dicks that ruined the forum experience for me in the past and my enjoyment of the community. So I get it, and that feeling sucks. So, I truly do apologize if that's how you feel; I really do. At the same, I've also learned that people will challenge your statements online, and when I'm wrong to own up to it (not saying you are here), and when I'm right, meh let it roll off my shoulder because at the end of the day some forum shouldn't ruin your day. But the internet is a cesspool of negativity it just is. If you go through my past posts in other threads you will see where I admit I'm an idiot or said something wrong, and you will also see big gaps of times where I have needed to step away from all the nastiness on here. I go through cycles. So sorry bud, didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #124
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I have a tuned F90 M5 and I still daily my 992 more often. Anyone here trying to "justify" a G80 over a 992 is just too poor to own one. Enough with the 'ticks all the boxes' nonsense already.

I used to be of the same mindset and until I drove a 911 I "got it".
Yeah. A sports car vs a sporty car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #125
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you reinforced his main point, which was....there was no 2017 GT3 in the U.S. Your friend bought his is Germany, and their MY procedures differ from ours. It was honest discourse from both sides.
If the original comment had said there were no 2017 GT3s exported for sale to the US, I would merely have stated the car was purchased in Germany by a US Serviceman and shipped here when he PCS'd. I wasn't aware of that, not sold here as '17s, but it was essentially irrelevant to the presentation of facts. I was correctly stating I had driven a 2017 Porsche GT3. At the time, the backstory was immaterial. My original response was only to show, which it did, that there were in fact 2017 GT3s. My follow-on, which was the backstory, explained whether or not they were for sale in the US as 2017 models was immaterial as to the stated fact, supra. As was RH/LHD.

As I said, I joined this forum to learn about and discuss BMWs. The poster who took a great deal of time trying to disprove my factual statements appears to be a senior member of the forum from whom I would have liked to garner knowledge. He never considered the reality of Americans in foreign countries buying cars that weren't yet on sale here. I was not aware that different countries for some arcane reason choose to model year cars differently than we do. More precise communication would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #126
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lmao what Sedan_Clan said.

Hey bud, did you not see my comment re Romania and the rest of Europe having different model designations? No shit LHD cars exist in Europe, but you just literally reinforced my point - there was no 2017 GT3 in the US.

Also, as a vet myself who spent some time in Germany, if he bought a US spec car through the mil sales program (i.e., the only way I know of that he could have bought it to legally import back to the US), then it would have been a 2018 GT3 as the model year designations would be the same as in the US, unless the entire mil sales program has changed in the last 4 years. If your other friend bought a German spec car, I'm curious how he was able to bring it back into the states with the import laws.

And I never claimed to be an expert, and I'm not "attacking" you. But you are also some anonymous dude that has claimed to drive every Porsche ever (even ones that likely don't exist in the US) and then make a blanket statement….. sorry if I don't take your word when I don't know you and it seems like you may be getting simple facts wrong.

Listen, I want to believe you, I really do, but your certainty about something that has a very small chance of being true (give them he reality of mil sales and import laws) is enough cause for me to question your story, that's all. At the end of the day, I 100% open to the possibility that I am wrong.

How about this, I believe you man, your bud has the only 2017 EU spec GT3 in existence in the US. He should hold that car forever because it's going to be worth insane money in 5-10 years.

Happy you joined the forum, and generally we are all good respectful guys, but you came in hot without the context you have finally provided that if true, would make your buddy's car one of the rarest GT3s in the US.

Edit: Listen, you can ignore much of the above. The best part of owning a Porsche or a BMW is the community. I too have been excited about a new car and gotten on the forums just to come across a bunch of asshats and dicks that ruined the forum experience for me in the past and my enjoyment of the community. So I get it, and that feeling sucks. So, I truly do apologize if that's how you feel; I really do. At the same, I've also learned that people will challenge your statements online, and when I'm wrong to own up to it (not saying you are here), and when I'm right, meh let it roll off my shoulder because at the end of the day some forum shouldn't ruin your day. But the internet is a cesspool of negativity it just is. If you go through my past posts in other threads you will see where I admit I'm an idiot or said something wrong, and you will also see big gaps of times where I have needed to step away from all the nastiness on here. I go through cycles. So sorry bud, didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome.
Thank you for the response. Cars purchased in Europe spec by US Military can be shipped to the US--duty free, so long as they meet the requirements set by the DoT and EPA, which the car clearly did. To a somewhat lesser degree, it applies to any American working overseas, but with tighter regs. I imagine he had to do some DoT stuff--Europeans are clear marker light happy, and they have to be amber/red under DoT regs for example. Servicemen can buy US cars through the program you mentioned of course--which is generally a good deal, but can also buy locally if allowed under the Status of Forces Agreement--which Germany has with umpteen US Military personnel there. To remain duty free, he had to not sell it for a period of 1 year. I doubt he minded waiting with the great driving roads in Utah/western CO. As to Porsches I've driven, it's about 5-6 or so--hardly everyone ever built...The oldest was the 993; newest the GT3. I did have a neighbor in Houston who owned a 959, but never drove it as it was a sacred object to him. You raise an interesting point about model years. I honestly don't know if it was titled as a '17 or '18 in Utah. I only know it was a '17 when purchased in 2017 and that's how my friend referred to it. If he still had it, I'd ask him to check the title. I'm pretty sure he sold it as a '17, though. It went to a Porsche dealer when he had to downsize his collection.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful and friendly response. I joined the forum to learn and contribute. The fact is I know a whole lot more about Porsches, although a Corvette guy, than BMWs. Hope to improve that.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #127
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So legit!
Quote:

Interesting, I thought Soul had figured this out per the other threads in RL, but I could have misread.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #128
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Interesting, I thought Soul had figured this out per the other threads in RL, but I could have misread.

I thought so too. But I have zero issues with mine.
      05-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #129
SpeedyJ
Private
Rep

Their solution on the 2021 are various o2 sensors of different lengths. It's def not an exact science and is not effecting the 2020s
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:38 AM   #130
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
If the original comment had said there were no 2017 GT3s exported for sale to the US, I would merely have stated the car was purchased in Germany by a US Serviceman and shipped here when he PCS'd. I wasn't aware of that, not sold here as '17s, but it was essentially irrelevant to the presentation of facts. I was correctly stating I had driven a 2017 Porsche GT3. At the time, the backstory was immaterial. My original response was only to show, which it did, that there were in fact 2017 GT3s. My follow-on, which was the backstory, explained whether or not they were for sale in the US as 2017 models was immaterial as to the stated fact, supra. As was RH/LHD.

As I said, I joined this forum to learn about and discuss BMWs. The poster who took a great deal of time trying to disprove my factual statements appears to be a senior member of the forum from whom I would have liked to garner knowledge. He never considered the reality of Americans in foreign countries buying cars that weren't yet on sale here. I was not aware that different countries for some arcane reason choose to model year cars differently than we do. More precise communication would have been nice.
Truth be told, it's the US "Model Year" system that is "arcane". In Europe and in most other parts of the world, the model year is simply of the manufactured date of the vehicle, crisp and simple. In the US (and Canada for that matter), manufacturers can arbitrarily change model years. They often use this to define changes in chassis or configuration.

So, quite a few "2018" US spec GT3 were in fact manufactured in 2017.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #131
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Truth be told, it's the US "Model Year" system that is "arcane". In Europe and in most other parts of the world, the model year is simply of the manufactured date of the vehicle, crisp and simple. In the US (and Canada for that matter), manufacturers can arbitrarily change model years. They often use this to define changes in chassis or configuration.

So, quite a few "2018" US spec GT3 were in fact manufactured in 2017.
Yeah, I think you hit it on the head. The 2018 Vette was absolutely identical to the 2019, but they started building '19s on a monday, after the last '18 was built on a friday. This was early in 2018, as they wanted the ZR1 to be a 2019. It looks like they plan on the same thing for the '22 C8--identical to the '21 from what I've read. The '19 did have one "different" shade of blue that looked the same as the '18, basically. Porsche and BMW will be building "2022s" in 2021, of course. Marketing bs.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #132
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

dudes, its a car forum, back to high revs and fun
Appreciate 0