BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Please detail for me. Cars are pretty much same weight ( GTR a touch heavier) same power 505 M comp 530 GTR
When it came out, the GTR had supercar level of performance, and is dedicated sports car unlike the M3 that is based on normal sedan, and only now, 10 years latter has the similar power to weight ratio!

If the both cars have similar power to weight ratio, where is your disappointment coming from?
What did you expect?
To date, this is the fastest RWD BMW in the 1/4 mile!

In reality this generation of the M3/4 is the closest to the dedicated sports cars regarding performance on the track (it is actually faster than the GTR on most tracks it was tested so far) and has all the advantages of the usable daily car with great interior.
Again, what is disappointing about that?

With the AWD it will most probably be even better regarding track times and strait line performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #24
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
A brand new $115k 2021 GTR is barely faster than an "11 year old" 2012 GTR.

In a couple of months, you can buy the 2022 G80 AWD with similar pace both in a straight line and through the curves and with BMW quality and ownership experience for $35k less than the Nissan. Not sure where the let down is.
My let down is the Nissan is a 13 year old platform. The BMW is new. Has nothing to do with the newer GTR, as everyone knows it;s the same thing for about 8-9 years. I'm not hating on the new G cars. I was just a bit let down that it's coming with the same performance as a 10 year old nissan. I have had no bad experience with Nissan. Dealer was super cool for maint ( Bring my own fluids ) the only time the car was there for a problem was a Bellhousing that was fixed for free. Fixed in 3 days
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #25
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
This is an important distinction.

Not even the latest GTR competes strongly against the old GTR…

Also, the fact that you get GTR performance out of a "normal" car (ie one where the diff oil isn't $400 a quart) is an amazing accomplishment.

If the response to this is "yeah well but tuned GTRs are way faster" then the only possible solution is to wait, since we don't know for sure what tuning will do to the XDrive car.
Not talking tuned. Stupid to compare that with a stock car. Also, don't believe everything you hear about the maint. Buy your own fluids and it's not bad at all. Ever since I built it, I don't do the dealer for service. Sean Ivey is the only one to touch it now
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #26
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My let down is the Nissan is a 13 year old platform. The BMW is new. Has nothing to do with the newer GTR, as everyone knows it;s the same thing for about 8-9 years. I'm not hating on the new G cars. I was just a bit let down that it's coming with the same performance as a 10 year old nissan. I have had no bad experience with Nissan. Dealer was super cool for maint ( Bring my own fluids ) the only time the car was there for a problem was a Bellhousing that was fixed for free. Fixed in 3 days
I think calling the GTR just a "13-year old platform" misses important context.

Nissan's been relentlessly improving the car's performance incrementally the entire time. Even they haven't been able to manage any big improvements over that 2012 car without charging you over $200k (!) for it.

So, we're left with a $78k xDrive BMW M3 that performs nearly as well as the $115k 2021 GTR, while having 4 doors, a great interior, and 3 years of free maintenance with loaners.

If the car performs as expected, it's going to be a homerun for BMW.
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23684.00
      05-11-2021, 05:26 AM   #27
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I think calling the GTR just a "13-year old platform" misses important context.

Nissan's been relentlessly improving the car's performance incrementally the entire time. Even they haven't been able to manage any big improvements over that 2012 car without charging you over $200k (!) for it.

So, we're left with a $78k xDrive BMW M3 that performs nearly as well as the $115k 2021 GTR, while having 4 doors, a great interior, and 3 years of free maintenance with loaners.

If the car performs as expected, it's going to be a homerun for BMW.
Ok. Done banging my head against the wall. BMW 4 Life
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:05 AM   #28
M2CS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Yeah, now they are as fast as a 2012 GTR, LOL. This is my biggest gripe with the new model. I was hoping the new ones would be a game changer. ( Maybe I over hyped in my head ) Most people will say the car is made for the turns and blah blah. Then every other thread is look how fast it Qrt's. I get a bunch of flak for the GTR is ugly and so on. I don't disagree. I at least hope the AWD ones hit low 11's or maybe even 11 flat. That's what the GTR's were in 2012!! 10 years later, your getting the same performance Porsche seems to be the only one making shit right anymore Anyone out there build my F82 into AWD? LOL!!!
I don't have a dog in this fight, but the M3/M4 is more in the sport/luxury class and the GTR is just pure sport. So even if the performance is comparable, the BMW provides more comfort and tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Ok. Done banging my head against the wall. BMW 4 Life
If you're single with no kids or have family and can afford 3 cars then the GTR is a no brainer over the M3. From a pure performance standpoint. Every single element of the car is designed for the driving experience.

If you want something comfortable with ondemand performance, or you've got a family, doing Whole Foods and Costco runs and want something that can be both comfortable and lethal...the M3 is a no brainer.

Two pretty distinct use cases.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #30
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Is it like a tuned civic? Those can be fast too. I guess any car with enough money in it can be fast. See the video of the old 5 series smoking the Bugatti?
Civic? I mean I guess in size sure... parts and build no...

Enough money? $1000 is stg 1 e85, high 10s so its pretty easy to be much quicker than the m3 and shooting for low 9s with a turbo swap and rods is pretty common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's a 4-door S3 with the 5-cylinder engine. Very fast in a straight line but corners like a dump truck. Stock for stock it won't be a match for an AWD G8x.
corners like a dump truck? Coming from an X3M

Stock for stock, its 55k vs 74k. Also the RS3 has lots of suspension, braking and many other things that make it better than the S3. Looking forward to running a G80 at the airstrip.

Feels pretty pompous in here overall.
Appreciate 0