BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

G8X vs 718 GTS 4.0

Ok seriously how do we not have this as a formal thread yet. Lots of back and forth on other threads for sure. So let's debate the merits and shortcomings of considering M3/M4 to Cayman GTS 4.0.

I'm undecided if I want M3 vs M4 but I do know I want xDrive. I grow weary of RWD traction issues in the long wet winter months but with my AWD builds into $90k+ territory, I'm at least exploring a minimal options GTS 4.0.

Does the mid-rear engine mounting make RWD traction better than front engined RWD traction? I know that Porsche 4.0 is special and while not as potent as S58, it comes in a lighter package so maybe equal performance if not planning to tune.

Cost is tough to figure out. Cayman GTS 4.0 with only premium pack and PDK (my preference) is about $96k. My M3 xDrive build is $91k. Right now that M3 leases for about $1200/mo without much in the way of discounts. That will change over time. From what I can tell the Porsche probably leases similarly but will be very unlikely to have any discounts. It should also depreciate less if bought out after 3 years and very likely will be worth more than residual at lease end.

Availability is another story. Can you even get a 718 GTS for MSRP or less in the next year? The engine recall is certainly a problem that will take considerable time to remedy.

So who is going for a GTS 4.0 over choosing a G8X? Would love to hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

I mentioned it in another thread, but I seriously considered the Cayman GTS 4.0. The outright price differential between builds that suits me isn't that huge (110k vs 103k cad), but Porsches lease horribly in Canada so the payments delta is more significant. So if I were to get one I'd finance or better yet carry it on HELOC, unfortunately my room was tied up at the time in some real estate.

Other than $, my other big concern was practicability of using it as an one-car solution, which can be tricky. And even though the Cayman isn't that much more expensive, it def still has an older interior and way less features and tech.

I will think harder when a 2-car garage makes more sense for me
      05-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Cryptic7
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster

Garage List
I'm having this debate right now. The problem is the Boxster/Cayman starts 20 grand higher in the US and options are even worse than the M3. Plus I wouldn't be able to have it as an only car for obvious reasons. Definitely way less practical and more costly but to me also a lot more desirable. Thinking about holding out and picking up a used 4.0 later
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think those two cars compete. The M3/M4 are explicitly designed to be a dual-purpose daily driver performance car. Shred a track, take the kids to school, destroy a backroad, do the costco run. The Cayman can't do those things.

I think the GTS competes with the M2C, and the winner comes down to whether you prefer skids to laptimes.
Appreciate 1
SpeedyJ65.50
      05-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I think they compete as luxury driver's cars. I agree the M2 probably makes more sense to cross shop, but that price gap is enormous, as is the interior quality gap.

I don't need the utility of G8X but don't mind having it. If GTS 4.0 and G8X were exact same price then the only thing holding me back from Porsche would be that I can get an M3 in AWD, but I'm trying to examine if rain/snow traction is maybe not as much of an issue with RWD mid engine design.

Yesterday I compared leases for identically priced Cayman GTS 4.0 and M3 with lease estimates per the configurators and the same lease is about $150/mo more for the Cayman. Normal M3 builds will be substantially less than the Cayman so talking more like $300-400/mo difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think those two cars compete.
Correct answer. One is a dedicated sports car with all of the sacrifices built in...small, cramped, 2 seats, limited storage, sits too low, loud and firm all the time. The other is a sporty coupe or sedan that fits 4, rides higher, is more comfortable, has more storage space, and overall is more practical as a daily driver. But yet the comparisons never stop
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
Cryptic7
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Correct answer. One is a dedicated sports car with all of the sacrifices built in...small, cramped, 2 seats, limited storage, sits too low, loud and firm all the time. The other is a sporty coupe or sedan that fits 4, rides higher, is more comfortable, has more storage space, and overall is more practical as a daily driver. But yet the comparisons never stop
The comparisons are there because a lot of people are like me. Obviously these don't directly compete but plenty of people are deciding between one car to do it all or an awesome drivers car and a cheap daily for other purposes. I guess the GTS has to be quite a bit more engaging though at the price point and considering you can't drive it everywhere
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

While not the GTS 4.0, I went from F80 to 981 Cayman as a year-round, single-car DD (well, besides having my wife's car to use at times) and it was doable for my needs. Since I didn't have a locking diff in my Cayman, traction in the snow with winter tires was alright but worse than any of the rwd M cars I've had; but again that's mainly due to having an open diff. I'm sure the GTS 4.0 on proper snows will be decent. I was also on X73 suspension which is 20mm lower than stock and had no issues with ground clearance, but I was also careful and don't have a lot of hills/steep driveways to maneuver. I think it would've been more of a struggle if we didn't have my wife's civic to use to transport bigger items/the dog. But the Cayman is pretty practical when it comes to grocery runs and such.

I'm still contemplating this very decision and I would for sure buy the 718 since Porsches lease horribly. You'll most likely lose less money on the 718 vs G8x if/when time to sell.

Way different personalities, though. The Cayman platform is fun because of the layout and how well it handles and rotates. I found myself les inclined to hang the rear out and drive it neatly as opposed to my M cars where I tend to hoon it more often. It really is tough to beat the well-rounded nature of the M3 for an everyday car, though.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
Transfer5242.50
      05-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
While not the GTS 4.0, I went from F80 to 981 Cayman as a year-round, single-car DD (well, besides having my wife's car to use at times) and it was doable for my needs. Since I didn't have a locking diff in my Cayman, traction in the snow with winter tires was alright but worse than any of the rwd M cars I've had; but again that's mainly due to having an open diff. I'm sure the GTS 4.0 on proper snows will be decent. I was also on X73 suspension which is 20mm lower than stock and had no issues with ground clearance, but I was also careful and don't have a lot of hills/steep driveways to maneuver. I think it would've been more of a struggle if we didn't have my wife's civic to use to transport bigger items/the dog. But the Cayman is pretty practical when it comes to grocery runs and such.

I'm still contemplating this very decision and I would for sure buy the 718 since Porsches lease horribly. You'll most likely lose less money on the 718 vs G8x if/when time to sell.

Way different personalities, though. The Cayman platform is fun because of the layout and how well it handles and rotates. I found myself les inclined to hang the rear out and drive it neatly as opposed to my M cars where I tend to hoon it more often. It really is tough to beat the well-rounded nature of the M3 for an everyday car, though.
Agree with all of this.

If I had a wife with a nice CUV to haul shit in then I'd probably have a cayman or 911 or whatever. But I need the ultimate one car garage, and that's the M3.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      05-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Agree with all of this.

If I had a wife with a nice CUV to haul shit in then I'd probably have a cayman or 911 or whatever. But I need the ultimate one car garage, and that's the M3.
Yup, it truly is hard to beat the value proposition of the M3!
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
For giggles I went to my local Porsche dealer to look at a Cayman T. I saw that they had one for like $8XXXX. Matter of fact, here it is, still unsold. Anyway, my M2C is a DD, for my needs, its perfect. It can seat 4, I can put the seats down and actually have a trunk, it's fast in a straight line and corners very well. And most importantly, the car is just an excellent driver, it is 100% a driver's car. I know that the 718 is going to have some of those characteristics, but not ones that make it a good DD in my opinion. I think the M3/4 is in the same boat but to a bigger extent. In the M3, you can have even more space.
I think this is a long winded way of saying, if you are DDing a car and need space or want something that you can hoon around in but at the same time take a cruise to a dinner date, the G8X makes more sense.
You know what I would honestly recommend? Take both out. You have time before the X Drive arrives. See what sticks in your mind. If lets say in a week or a month, you can't get the 718 out of your head, stop waiting and buy that. But if you feel like the G8X is 80% of the fun but has the utility that you need, it may be worth the wait.
JTO245246.50
      05-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Yup, it truly is hard to beat the value proposition of the M3!
In a world where nearly 100% of the drivers drive nearly 100% of the time, M340i is an even better value proposition. 🙂
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50