home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
stalintc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3

BMW Winter Wheel/Tire Combo Staggered Wheel Purpose

After reading through the winter tire thread, I was left with the question of why did BWW select staggered wheels with the same tire size for the package? Is it as simple as the stretched tire gives a firmer ride which improved subjective handling? If so, would it be fine to order 4 Front wheels for the sake of being able to rotate them?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
stalintc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3

After continuing to read and research, and even talking to some track day friends, it seems there are a few reasons for this.

Stretching the tires on the rear wheel in the case of the factory wheel set does not change overall diameter significantly (according to Tirerack help), which is something I was thinking. Also, the amount of tire on the road surface is not changed which is part of why I was curious as to what the reasons for doing this are. I think I have found 2:

As pointed out in the video in this post (thanks!) subjective, and maybe some objective performance is included in the decision making process.

The second is wheel offset. In this case, again if I have learned this properly, the front wheel on the rear would leave the wheel 6.4mm inset compared to the fender.

I hope that this helps anyone else looking, and of course if anyone sees anything to correct please do so!
Appreciate 0