Open Lapping
June 9th 2022

Michelin Cup2 * BMW
BMW 963M wheels
Millway Camber Plates (Street Version)
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
Cobalt Race Pads
Speed Engineering Brake Duct Cooling System

this was my 1st lap without encountering anyone else, 6th lap ever with this car. Obviously much different than the M235iR. the weight is really noticeable coming off the back straight, hitting 140+ and then needing to brake. comparing my best lap with the M235iR (2:08), every corner in the M235iR i took 8-12 MPH faster, so the g80 just point and shoot and its power made up for my poor driving and slow corning, just lack of feel for the car given it was my first time out with it.

camber plates + track alignment was almost spot on. some pretty nice even wear on the tires. very happy there.

cobalt pads, held up, but i am still unsure of them. compared to the M235iR, the g80 braking was a lot less confidence inspiring. probably just not use to the weight. the brakes run so f'ing hot. i can't imagine the brake temps without the speed engineering duct system.

used the following settings:
engine: sport+
chassis: sport
steering: sport
brakes: sport
drive: 4wd sport
dsc: off

once all that was set, i pressed and held the m-mode button for 4 seconds to activate track mode. confirmed that on the idrive. using those settings, i did not have any weird systems come on while driving, no windows up emergencies, etc.

other friends i went with had E92 (6MT) with supercharger and m4 gts

Attached Images

Last edited by dirtyfreebooter; 06-12-2022 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      06-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

now the ugly bits...

car overheated twice. limp mode until i drove some cool downs and then let it sit. brake rotors needed multiple cool down laps, otherwise crazy loud pings from the metal cooling. brakes so f'ing hot. ambient temps were pretty hot outside, like 85F at the start of the session.

limp mode once from low fuel (not a big deal), my mistake for just not looking at the gas gauge.

finally towards the end of the night, i got limp mode again, any time i accelerated. bunch of errors from bimmerlink. boost pressure, drivetrain. had to stop at this point. going to dealer this week for full diagnosis.
Attached Images

Last edited by dirtyfreebooter; 06-12-2022 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18710.50
      06-13-2022, 12:32 AM   #3
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

Nice video!!

Just curious, is yours an xDrive? How long was your session?

I was doing 25 minute sessions at the BMWCCA HPDE last month…was also getting the same crazy loud pings from the rotors, though I had stock pads on. Assuming you remove the plastic brake vent covers inside the wheel well with the Speed Engineering system? Definitely agree you really feel the car’s weight at the end of the back straight dropping from 145-ish down to 70-ish. I never got over the pucker factor, though my brakes never let me down once.

Looks like you definitely managed tire pressure/wear better than I did. What pressure were you targeting when hot?

Only tip I got from my instructor that I’d pass on is to not run the engine setting on sport+. Doesn’t make the car any faster and makes the throttle input more touchy/less smooth. I was noticeably faster/smoother on regular sport. He said same applies to brake setting - sport just makes them more touchy. I was already on comfort and he recommended leaving them there.

Hope the error codes are an easy fix…it was a cooler day when I was running out there so I didn’t have any overheating issues…hope that doesn’t become a common thing.
Appreciate 1
jmg18710.50
      06-13-2022, 01:09 AM   #4
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
Nice video!!

I was doing 25 minute sessions at the BMWCCA HPDE last month…was also getting the same crazy loud pings from the rotors, though I had stock pads on. Assuming you remove the plastic brake vent covers inside the wheel well with the Speed Engineering system? Definitely agree you really feel the car's weight at the end of the back straight dropping from 145-ish down to 70-ish. I never got over the pucker factor, though my brakes never let me down once.

Looks like you definitely managed tire pressure/wear better than I did. What pressure were you targeting when hot?

Only tip I got from my instructor that I'd pass on is to not run the engine setting on sport+. Doesn't make the car any faster and makes the throttle input more touchy/less smooth. I was noticeably faster/smoother on regular sport. He said same applies to brake setting - sport just makes them more touchy. I was already on comfort and he recommended leaving them there.

Hope the error codes are an easy fix…it was a cooler day when I was running out there so I didn't have any overheating issues…hope that doesn't become a common thing.
the speed engineering system basically provides a 2-inch duct from the bumper directly onto the rotors. the forces required to stop 1800kg+ tho.. hah. and yea, you almost have to limit yourself to 20 min or so sessions, which i don't find that difficult, because the mental focus required with this much power and weight is a lot more than say with the M235iR.

yea, will try and back off sport+ for engine next time!

i was targeting for pressures around 34 psi hot, but i used the Michelin Connect app, which while is kinda gimmicky, i did notice the stock TPMS was quite slow at updating compared to the connect app. so i targeted whatever the app said, which it basically shows you, too little or too much air, i just dialed it in until i had 4 green squares on the app (which i ran off an old iphone 12 mini) since i was using my primary phone for trackaddict. i am sure over time i could eliminate the connect app and probably will as i will eventually move to more affordable tires, but for first time out, it was nice to not have to think about it and the results in the tire wear speak for themselves.

yea, its xdrive, i drove the entire time in 4wd sport, which was interesting, losing grip, its almost counterintuitive to apply plenty of gas to regain grip, letting the front wheels pull you straight.. normally i am used to this:

just spinning out. haha.
Appreciate 1
jmg18710.50
      06-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
What are you track alignment settings? Did you find the connected app to be on par with real world measurements if you took any? I just got a set of cup 2*, and will follow your 34 psi suggestion.

Agreed that sport engine setting is sufficient for track duty. But my EBC Bluestuff gives better feedback in sport braking for some reason. Maybe it's compound dependent.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
now the ugly bits...

car overheated twice. limp mode until i drove some cool downs and then let it sit. brake rotors needed multiple cool down laps, otherwise crazy loud pings from the metal cooling. brakes so f'ing hot. ambient temps were pretty hot outside, like 85F at the start of the session.

limp mode once from low fuel (not a big deal), my mistake for just not looking at the gas gauge.

finally towards the end of the night, i got limp mode again, any time i accelerated. bunch of errors from bimmerlink. boost pressure, drivetrain. had to stop at this point. going to dealer this week for full diagnosis.
Just seeing this.

Your tires look like they got overheated. You should keep them below 180 in tpms and do cool downs when they climb over 180. Also 34 hot is too high in my experience they get greasy at that pressure and I wonder if your awd masked it. Based on your tread picture If definitely say you were overdriving the tires.

You definitely want to cool the brakes before coming in. Last lap should be slow enough to not touch the brakes. The ting ting sound will become a loud crack eventually of you don't.

Your overheated situation is unnerving. I have driven in 95+ texas heat on track and never had an overheated car other than the brake heat warning, which I haven't had since doing brake ducting.

G82 is definitely not an endurance platform as is…needs close management of temp windows to stay in high performance.

I agree on brakes I dont use sport braking..too grabby. But never felt like my brakes weren't there, I also moved from hard threshold braking to a early progressive squeeze style, and find I dont get as squirrelly in the rear.

These are my new cups after 4x30 min sessions.
Attached Images

06-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #7
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

long story short, one of my turbo's seized. dealer was able to get a replacement ASAP as 1 was available in the USA from parts warehouse. BMW germany was involved. they wanted the turbo shipped back to them. there will be no further info on the actual failure. tech said he couldn't see anything obvious, other than it was seized up.

things seem normal now. heading back to HPR end of july, will certainly be watching things more carefully, but honestly, i know this isn't an endurance car, but overheating and limp mode stuff was happening 3-5 laps into a session, so like more than 15 min of driving tops, ~2 min per lap..

thanks for all your feedback though, definitely some new stuff to try out next time around. i think i will be more ready to deal with the weight, as i think driving the m235iR prior, i was having a hard time breaking some of my habits from that car's agility, grip, and braking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #8
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Just seeing this.

Your tires look like they got overheated. You should keep them below 180 in tpms and do cool downs when they climb over 180. Also 34 hot is too high in my experience they get greasy at that pressure and I wonder if your awd masked it. Based on your tread picture If definitely say you were overdriving the tires.

You definitely want to cool the brakes before coming in. Last lap should be slow enough to not touch the brakes. The ting ting sound will become a loud crack eventually of you don't.
yea, going really pay attention to the tire temps next time out. what PSI do you run hot? 32?

yea, normally i certainly do run 1-2 laps cooldown, but when your car is going into limp mode and you can't go > 50 mph and 3800 RPM, you can be a danger on the track, so i would come off and drive around the back parking lot for 5 min, lol. i noticed the pinging just when i stopped in the hot pit to let out pressure, but now i realized, maybe i should have done a cool down lap before even hot pitting.

also first time out with a big heavy car with tons of power, so was also just getting used to these new track behaviors. should be a lot better 2nd time around, and hopefully no turbos blow up.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #9
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

yea, going really pay attention to the tire temps next time out. what PSI do you run hot? 32?

yea, normally i certainly do run 1-2 laps cooldown, but when your car is going into limp mode and you can't go > 50 mph and 3800 RPM, you can be a danger on the track, so i would come off and drive around the back parking lot for 5 min, lol. i noticed the pinging just when i stopped in the hot pit to let out pressure, but now i realized, maybe i should have done a cool down lap before even hot pitting.

also first time out with a big heavy car with tons of power, so was also just getting used to these new track behaviors. should be a lot better 2nd time around, and hopefully no turbos blow up.
Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

If you keep getting limp mode you should read the codes to figure out why. Probably still there as a stored code.
      06-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

If you keep getting limp mode you should read the codes to figure out why. Probably still there as a stored code.
i pulled the codes at the track. boost related, bmw literally replaced one of my turbos…
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:18 AM   #11
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
long story short, one of my turbo's seized. dealer was able to get a replacement ASAP as 1 was available in the USA from parts warehouse. BMW germany was involved. they wanted the turbo shipped back to them. there will be no further info on the actual failure. tech said he couldn't see anything obvious, other than it was seized up.

things seem normal now. heading back to HPR end of july, will certainly be watching things more carefully, but honestly, i know this isn't an endurance car, but overheating and limp mode stuff was happening 3-5 laps into a session, so like more than 15 min of driving tops, ~2 min per lap..

thanks for all your feedback though, definitely some new stuff to try out next time around. i think i will be more ready to deal with the weight, as i think driving the m235iR prior, i was having a hard time breaking some of my habits from that car's agility, grip, and braking.
Glad to hear it’s fixed!!! Can’t wait to see more videos!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #12
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

Quote:
Quote:
Just seeing this.

i pulled the codes at the track. boost related, bmw literally replaced one of my turbos…
Well fuck me…glad its fixed
      08-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #13
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Quote:
High Plains Raceway
Open Lapping
June 9th 2022

Michelin Cup2 * BMW
BMW 963M wheels
Millway Camber Plates (Street Version)
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
Cobalt Race Pads
Speed Engineering Brake Duct Cooling System

this was my 1st lap without encountering anyone else, 6th lap ever with this car. Obviously much different than the M235iR. the weight is really noticeable coming off the back straight, hitting 140+ and then needing to brake. comparing my best lap with the M235iR (2:08), every corner in the M235iR i took 8-12 MPH faster, so the g80 just point and shoot and its power made up for my poor driving and slow corning, just lack of feel for the car given it was my first time out with it.

camber plates + track alignment was almost spot on. some pretty nice even wear on the tires. very happy there.

cobalt pads, held up, but i am still unsure of them. compared to the M235iR, the g80 braking was a lot less confidence inspiring. probably just not use to the weight. the brakes run so f'ing hot. i can't imagine the brake temps without the speed engineering duct system.

used the following settings:
engine: sport+
chassis: sport
steering: sport
brakes: sport
drive: 4wd sport
dsc: off

once all that was set, i pressed and held the m-mode button for 4 seconds to activate track mode. confirmed that on the idrive. using those settings, i did not have any weird systems come on while driving, no windows up emergencies, etc.

other friends i went with had E92 (6MT) with supercharger and m4 gts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
Nice video!!

I was doing 25 minute sessions at the BMWCCA HPDE last month…was also getting the same crazy loud pings from the rotors, though I had stock pads on. Assuming you remove the plastic brake vent covers inside the wheel well with the Speed Engineering system? Definitely agree you really feel the car’s weight at the end of the back straight dropping from 145-ish down to 70-ish. I never got over the pucker factor, though my brakes never let me down once.

Only tip I got from my instructor that I’d pass on is to not run the engine setting on sport+. Doesn’t make the car any faster and makes the throttle input more touchy/less smooth. I was noticeably faster/smoother on regular sport. He said same applies to brake setting - sport just makes them more touchy. I was already on comfort and he recommended leaving them there.

Hope the error codes are an easy fix…it was a cooler day when I was running out there so I didn’t have any overheating issues…hope that doesn’t become a common thing.
What times you guys running at High Plains? In my stock 718 Cayman w/pZero's I was just under 2.06 on uninterrupted laps.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #14
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did the BMWCCA HPDE so no lap times for me.
Appreciate 0