BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-09-2022, 12:05 AM   #1
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

Fragile leather/interior?

My first BMW and first M car. I've had this car for 4 months and I am shocked to see how fragile and prone to damage the leather is. I am very careful and gentle when in the car. One day when closing my door I missed the handle and lightly scraped the handle with my nail. Very Small chunk of leather gone lol. I was strength testing the leather with my finger nails and it does indeed feel like the leather can be scraped off with ease lol.. Is this normal for the quality to feel this fragile? I come from Lexus and their leather/leatherette is almost indestructible. My RC is 5 years old and the interior almost still looks brand new.

If Bmw leather is known for this how do you guys maintain it? Any type of solution or sealer to prevent damage?

Thank!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

I had a tiny chunk on my X5 center console leather come off from a nail. The only issue in three years. Perhaps it is the merino leather it does seem softer than other leathers. I haven't had this happen on other cars but the leather does not have the hand of the BMW merino leather either.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Yes, it is fragile as hell. I have Silverstone and already had my passenger armrest repaired. Someone snagged it getting in or out and I only had 300 miles on car. Hate to say this, but only a few have road in car and I make sure they don't have anything to snag on. Also on drivers seat, it looks as if a button or something put a little scratch on it. I have my drivers seat set on 2 to go back so when I get in car, I'm nit squeezing in.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #4
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Yes, it is fragile as hell. I have Silverstone and already had my passenger armrest repaired. Someone snagged it getting in or out and I only had 300 miles on car. Hate to say this, but only a few have road in car and I make sure they don't have anything to snag on. Also on drivers seat, it looks as if a button or something put a little scratch on it. I have my drivers seat set on 2 to go back so when I get in car, I'm nit squeezing in.
Only on 300 miles? Dam must have hurt. I have my drivers seat far back too so I don’t smash everything while getting in or out lol.. I’ve been reading people be ceramic coating there leather. Think I might do this soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #5
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
Only on 300 miles? Dam must have hurt. I have my drivers seat far back too so I don’t smash everything while getting in or out lol.. I’ve been reading people be ceramic coating there leather. Think I might do this soon.
Did the ceramic coat also and the guy that did the repair caught hell removing coating to fix leather
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Did the ceramic coat also and the guy that did the repair caught hell removing coating to fix leather
So ceramic doesn’t prevent scratches? I consulted to fix the leather but they were saying they cannot guarantee a perfect color match (fiona red). So decided to fix it if it gets worse. How did yours come out?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 05:41 PM   #7
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
So ceramic doesn’t prevent scratches? I consulted to fix the leather but they were saying they cannot guarantee a perfect color match (fiona red). So decided to fix it if it gets worse. How did yours come out?
Mine came out perfect. The guy took the headrest out to match and it took him a quite a few tries to match it but it worked. If it's the arm rest, he has to dye the whole thing. Don't let anyone lean on it for a week, then ceramic coat it.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0