BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

04-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #23
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Congratulations, this must be the best looking white G82 thus far!!!

The Sunlight and the way you did the photos is spot on, and here we can see how attractive this car actually is on the road.

Good job!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #24
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4 Competition - IOMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
Congratulations, this must be the best looking white G82 thus far!!!

The Sunlight and the way you did the photos is spot on, and here we can see how attractive this car actually is on the road.

Good job!
Thank you!

Truth be told, I was a bit embarrassed to post these photos on this thread or my listing.

A buddy had done pro shots on my previous listings.

Here are a few:
Attached Images

JTO245271.50
      04-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #25
killhour
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4C xDrive, Focus RS, DB9 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro9 View Post
I would Turo out my wife before my car..haha
Tom... we need to talk. NOW!
Appreciate 1
icenbp24.00
      04-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #26
biznis32
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

911 has a softer ride overall??? I’m shocked to read that. I’m currently in a 2019 991.2 base and one of the reasons why I’m considering an M4 is for a more compliant ride. I find the 911 challenging in city driving. Do you mind elaborating on your observation? Interested to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #27
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYounglove10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Congrats!

What parking structure is that? Might have to take my M3 over there after I get it as it looks like it provides some good views for photos.
It's the parking garage at Biltmore Fashion Park.

Pics were taken during that sudden dust storm last week so didn't have much time to get good angles before the dust hit.
Thanks!

I thought for a moment it might have been Fashion Square but then quickly realized the landscape and the color scheme didn't match the FS area.
What part of town are you in?

Fashion Square has a neat garage too but find it's always busy. Not ideal for pics.
I'm over in the South Phoenix/South Mountain area.

I agree, the Fashion Square garages are usually always packed.

I've found that the garage by Chase Tower downtown provides from some great photos and is usually pretty empty on the weekends in the early morning hours. Took the attached photo there back when I had my C400.
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #28
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznis32 View Post
911 has a softer ride overall??? I’m shocked to read that. I’m currently in a 2019 991.2 base and one of the reasons why I’m considering an M4 is for a more compliant ride. I find the 911 challenging in city driving. Do you mind elaborating on your observation? Interested to know.
Sure absolutely.

You'll hear a lot of professional reviewers comment on how well-sorted chassis/suspensions have a one up-one down response in how the shocks will interact with what it meets in the road.

Perhaps this is better understood as primary and secondary movement in how the suspension "suspends". The M4 feels like it has more secondary movement. It's not uncomfortable, just a bit less settled.

I feel like the 911, although sporty and obviously firm, did a better job getting settled over choppy pavement, whereas the M4 feels like it "skips" a bit more over the same type/quality of road.

I live downtown Phx, so not the best road quality for reference.
      04-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #29
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Hi all,

It's been many years since my last posts on this forum (13). Much time has passed and I count myself incredibly lucky to reach out and introduce to you my new AW M4 Comp.

First, I'll make I have a few comments based on previous and current experiences around tech as a multiple time Audi owner ('18 A5 sportback with APR/032 mods, '20 Q8 s-line/black optics, fiancé is driving a '21 Q7 prestige, the daily driver).

I also owned a '17 991.2 base 911 for about 18 months and will make some performance comparisons there.

Tech:
Latest Audi MMI interface (two screens controlling media/climate) is a bit more user friendly in the sense there aren't quite as many steps involved to get to a particular menu.

BMW has much less lag during initial startup.

Apple CarPlay is MUCH quicker to connect on the M4 then any of the 3 Audis I have owned. The Audis would also disconnect at random moments mid-drive. This was never resolved even after firmware updates.

The M4's HUD is amazing, especially in MSport mode with the large tach front and center. Makes you feel very aware and dare I say "safe" during spirited driving, especially during break in. I really appreciate having that information at hand. Not that I would wheel the Q7/Q8 in anywhere near the same degree as the M4, but I do drive my cars with intent and the Audis have a much smaller HUD footprint.

The HK sound system is really a let down coming from the B/O systems in all 3 Audis (mid tier system, not the $5900 one). Even compared to the sportback, which was known to sound a bit drowned out due to the open hatch nature of the vehicle, it had tighter base, crisper treble, although the mids are better on the M4.

I really do appreciate having some buttons again compared to the 2 SUVs with full touch screen everything. The Audis looked amazing, and worked fairly well/was responsive to touch, but nothing can supplement the simple tactility of pressing a button.

For the price, cooled seats should be standard. I'm in AZ, so its very much needed. The BMWapp aircon preconditioning is pretty amazing. That's not a feature available on Audi and is a game changer.

I'm in Tech/Staffing as a profession, and a Turo PowerHost as a side business, so my world tends to lean towards "tech" in genera, and the M4 seems to fit that type of lifestyle.

Performance: 991.2 base vs M4.

For this comparison, I'll focus simply on the performance and not the tech, seeming the 911 was quite a bit dated in comparison tech-wise.

Power/Speed: the M4 Comp is quicker, hands down. At every speed, from a dig or roll, the 500+hp M4 would walk my 911. Both are underrated power-wise, but no comparison.

Suspension: the 911 was a softer ride overall. It was a mom SPASM car with the base suspension, but 20" carrera classic wheels. It tramlined about the same as the M4. You can feel through the wheel the M4 has much more aggressive camber. The M4 feels much more "on its toes" at all times, like it never really wants to relax, even in comfort suspension mode.

PDK/8speed: PDK was great, but I have a controversial comment. I think the 8speed is faster. Maybe it was the tuning on the base 911 PDK, and not representative of others models (I have driven many other model 911s/boosters/caymans that felt quicker), but I always felt I wasn't getting the lighting quick snappy shifts in my 911 than I got in other Porsches. I think the M4 seat of the pants review (I am a total amateur, so take with grain of salt) is that on level 3 manual mode, the 8 speed shifts a bit quicker. Weird comment, I know.

Braking: pretty similar overall power-wise. I think the 911 had much more natural feeling. Sport brake in M4 is really sensitive and comfort is too inert. I keep on sport, but don't love it.

Steering: 911. We all knew that would be the case.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but these are just a few observations from 2 weeks of ownership on the m4.

Here are some photos of the cars. No pro photos of the M4 just yet.
You may not be aware buy the 8 programmable buttons can be used for specific menus (not just radio stations).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #30
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

It's been many years since my last posts on this forum (13). Much time has passed and I count myself incredibly lucky to reach out and introduce to you my new AW M4 Comp.

First, I'll make I have a few comments based on previous and current experiences around tech as a multiple time Audi owner ('18 A5 sportback with APR/032 mods, '20 Q8 s-line/black optics, fiancé is driving a '21 Q7 prestige, the daily driver).

I also owned a '17 991.2 base 911 for about 18 months and will make some performance comparisons there.

Tech:
Latest Audi MMI interface (two screens controlling media/climate) is a bit more user friendly in the sense there aren't quite as many steps involved to get to a particular menu.

BMW has much less lag during initial startup.

Apple CarPlay is MUCH quicker to connect on the M4 then any of the 3 Audis I have owned. The Audis would also disconnect at random moments mid-drive. This was never resolved even after firmware updates.

The M4's HUD is amazing, especially in MSport mode with the large tach front and center. Makes you feel very aware and dare I say "safe" during spirited driving, especially during break in. I really appreciate having that information at hand. Not that I would wheel the Q7/Q8 in anywhere near the same degree as the M4, but I do drive my cars with intent and the Audis have a much smaller HUD footprint.

The HK sound system is really a let down coming from the B/O systems in all 3 Audis (mid tier system, not the $5900 one). Even compared to the sportback, which was known to sound a bit drowned out due to the open hatch nature of the vehicle, it had tighter base, crisper treble, although the mids are better on the M4.

I really do appreciate having some buttons again compared to the 2 SUVs with full touch screen everything. The Audis looked amazing, and worked fairly well/was responsive to touch, but nothing can supplement the simple tactility of pressing a button.

For the price, cooled seats should be standard. I'm in AZ, so its very much needed. The BMWapp aircon preconditioning is pretty amazing. That's not a feature available on Audi and is a game changer.

I'm in Tech/Staffing as a profession, and a Turo PowerHost as a side business, so my world tends to lean towards "tech" in genera, and the M4 seems to fit that type of lifestyle.

Performance: 991.2 base vs M4.

For this comparison, I'll focus simply on the performance and not the tech, seeming the 911 was quite a bit dated in comparison tech-wise.

Power/Speed: the M4 Comp is quicker, hands down. At every speed, from a dig or roll, the 500+hp M4 would walk my 911. Both are underrated power-wise, but no comparison.

Suspension: the 911 was a softer ride overall. It was a mom SPASM car with the base suspension, but 20" carrera classic wheels. It tramlined about the same as the M4. You can feel through the wheel the M4 has much more aggressive camber. The M4 feels much more "on its toes" at all times, like it never really wants to relax, even in comfort suspension mode.

PDK/8speed: PDK was great, but I have a controversial comment. I think the 8speed is faster. Maybe it was the tuning on the base 911 PDK, and not representative of others models (I have driven many other model 911s/boosters/caymans that felt quicker), but I always felt I wasn't getting the lighting quick snappy shifts in my 911 than I got in other Porsches. I think the M4 seat of the pants review (I am a total amateur, so take with grain of salt) is that on level 3 manual mode, the 8 speed shifts a bit quicker. Weird comment, I know.

Braking: pretty similar overall power-wise. I think the 911 had much more natural feeling. Sport brake in M4 is really sensitive and comfort is too inert. I keep on sport, but don't love it.

Steering: 911. We all knew that would be the case.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but these are just a few observations from 2 weeks of ownership on the m4.

Here are some photos of the cars. No pro photos of the M4 just yet.
You may not be aware buy the 8 programmable buttons can be used for specific menus (not just radio stations).
I actually was not aware of that. It's been quite a few years since my last BMW and I'm still getting the hang of things.

That being said, even the point of needing hot buttons/shortcuts to get to places makes my point on easily accessible menu areas. BMWs media interface seems to be better geared toward the techy crowd. Not a bad thing, just a nuance.
      04-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #31
PeregrineFalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: vw cc

Quote:
Thank you!

Truth be told, I was a bit embarrassed to post these photos on this thread or my listing.

A buddy had done pro shots on my previous listings.

Here are a few:
Great photos, but in my subjective opinion, the first M4 photo is the best!

First reason, the M4 is the best looking car in this group
The second reason is the composition of the photo and the angle of the car at which you took the photo, especially with the front wheels slightly turned, and with the red brake caliper visible
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #32
JohnBucurE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

Love your car, also love seeing so many fellow Arizonans in here. Reminds me not to take the views in this place for granted! Our state is amazing.
Appreciate 2
icenbp24.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      04-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #33
Bfpd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Great review. Not surprising on the power. You'd need the Carrera S or GTS to compare on acceleration. Porsche equivalent to M transmission is the PDK sport in GT cars. It is faster than BMW shifting on the most aggressive setting, at least in my GT3RS. Not sure if they offer Bowers & Wilkins in the M4, but that's a nice setup in the M5. Agreed on the suspension. Mainline 911s have pretty good compliance. Disappointing to hear on the new M4 brakes with various settings. My F80 M3 Comp had insanely good braking, but so do all modern 911s. Steering turn in was actually amazing in my F80 comp, but I test drove an M3 CS that had 30K miles and that one wasn't as good (maybe needed an alignment). You left out the back seat comparison...one is useable. Great to hear the new car lives up to expectations. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpd View Post
Great review. Not surprising on the power. You'd need the Carrera S or GTS to compare on acceleration. Porsche equivalent to M transmission is the PDK sport in GT cars. It is faster than BMW shifting on the most aggressive setting, at least in my GT3RS. Not sure if they offer Bowers & Wilkins in the M4, but that's a nice setup in the M5. Agreed on the suspension. Mainline 911s have pretty good compliance. Disappointing to hear on the new M4 brakes with various settings. My F80 M3 Comp had insanely good braking, but so do all modern 911s. Steering turn in was actually amazing in my F80 comp, but I test drove an M3 CS that had 30K miles and that one wasn't as good (maybe needed an alignment). You left out the back seat comparison...one is useable. Great to hear the new car lives up to expectations. Enjoy!
No Bowers & Wilkins in the M3/4. I have the M5 with it and it's fantastic.
      04-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #35
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpd View Post
Thank you for the response. For the price of these vehicles, I'm sure there would be a large contingent of G8X buyers that's would pay a small premium for higher quality sound system. Not sure I'd pay the $4-6k manufacturers charge for their highest level systems, but I vaguely recall the $1900 premium audio on the E9X M car platform that was a step above the highest audio on standard 3 series models.

Yes, the backseats on the M4 are entirely useable for anyone 5'10" and under I'd say. Headroom is right but legroom is plentiful. It's own independent climate zone was surprising to see too. Been awhile since I've had any sort of personal luxury coupe-sized vehicle.
      04-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #36
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBucurE92 View Post
Love your car, also love seeing so many fellow Arizonans in here. Reminds me not to take the views in this place for granted! Our state is amazing.
Agreed. Other than skyrocketing real estate prices, there's perhaps never been a better time to be in AZ. Business is booming, lots of culture, a unique feel/personality and for us locals, northern AZ is a completely different climate/environment that offers a nice reprieve from the daily grind for only a few hours' drive.
      04-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #37
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

you forgot to post a pic of the only angle that the car looks good, from the side.
I'm sure the performance is there but it's a hard pass for me.

04-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #38
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
you forgot to post a pic of the only angle that the car looks good, from the side.
I'm sure the performance is there but it's a hard pass for me.

I do have a size pic, just wasn't proud of how it turned out. But here we go.
Attached Images

04-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #39
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Thanks for the comparo

Alpine white looks pretty good here.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #40
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Thanks for the comparo

Alpine white looks pretty good here.
Agreed on AW. Helps the lines a bit and much better in person than pics would suggested

Funny story, my first few posts on this forum was due to an experience I had driving a then brand-new '08 E92 M3, also AW/Carbon Roof/Black interior.

Came full circle with this car 13 years later. Exact same spec, same dealership.
      04-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #41
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Quote:
a Turo PowerHost as a side business
have to ask...what is a Turo PowerHost? Quick google search revealed you rent your car out?
Going through the Turo numbers for M4's in AZ, average is about $250/day for MY 2015/2016. Figure OP is charging over $300 per day. 4 days per month rental pays for the financing payment.

Edit: Found the Turo listing, OP is charging $233 per day.

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...rchId=7VVSeMeO
      04-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #42
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Quote:
have to ask...what is a Turo PowerHost? Quick google search revealed you rent your car out?
Going through the Turo numbers for M4's in AZ, average is about $250/day for MY 2015/2016. Figure OP is charging over $300 per day. 4 days per month rental pays for the financing payment.
You're about spot on with that.

I put my rates a bit lower than you might expect. Name of the game is days rented, not daily rate.

I historically have only a 30% vacancy rate, i.e. 30% days not renter. Some months more, some months less. Just average numbers.

So if you do the math, $245/day for my car (again, priced very competitive, but still worthwhile rate), x20 days a month. Minus cost, depreciation, insurance, maintenance, you still come out a sizable profit on a single vehicle.
      04-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #43
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I put my rates a bit lower than you might expect. Name of the game is days rented, not daily rate.

I historically have only a 30% vacancy rate, i.e. 30% days not renter. Some months more, some months less. Just average numbers.

So if you do the math, $245/day for my car (again, priced very competitive, but still worthwhile rate), x20 days a month. Minus cost, depreciation, insurance, maintenance, you still come out a sizable profit on a single vehicle.
We're internet sleuths on Bimmerpost. I edited my post as I found your Turo posting, https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...rchId=7VVSeMeO

Leasing I would never take that risk. What prevents someone from tracking the s**t out of the car and/or drifting the h*l out of it, that you need to replace the tires?
      04-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #44
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We're internet sleuths on Bimmerpost. I edited my post as I found your Turo posting, https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...rchId=7VVSeMeO

Leasing I would never take that risk. What prevents someone from tracking the s**t out of the car and/or drifting the h*l out of it, that you need to replace the tires?
There's nothing preventing anyone from doing anything, at the end of the day. The car is protected with insurance directly from Turo (they offer multiple tiers of protection for Hosts).

There's also nothing inherently wrong with driving the car with intent. If excess tire wear or an engine light comes on during the trip, then thorough pre/post trip photos comes in to save the day. I file a claim and the issue gets resolved.

We all drive our cars the way they're meant to be driven. Other people will as well. Cars are built to withstand it.