Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I go back and forth whether I want a stealth/frozen car but this looks great!
Do it. Go for it. Beautiful but high maintenance paint.
What's with all the #fakenews in this thread about high maintenance paint?

Matte paint is more difficult to maintain. Can't polish it, car wash isn't recommended, special PH balanced shampoo needed etc…. Of course "difficult" is subjective. Some may not find it difficult. I'm comparing it to traditional paint.
Not sure what you're talking about. Difficult? Too many people feeding into the whole misconception about high maintenance or difficult to deal with. Complete nonsense.

But I'll play along.......

Damn paint. Stay away! Even it sees the light of day it will flake! Heaven forbid it sees rain, it tends to melt and bubble. Blasphemy. Why would BMW even consider putting such a volatile and delicate product on their cars! Complete bullocks I say. Frozen paint. What a hoax.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #68
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I go back and forth whether I want a stealth/frozen car but this looks great!
Do it. Go for it. Beautiful but high maintenance paint.
What's with all the #fakenews in this thread about high maintenance paint?

Matte paint is more difficult to maintain. Can't polish it, car wash isn't recommended, special PH balanced shampoo needed etc…. Of course "difficult" is subjective. Some may not find it difficult. I'm comparing it to traditional paint.
Not sure what you're talking about. Difficult? Too many people feeding into the whole misconception about high maintenance or difficult to deal with. Complete nonsense.

But I'll play along.......

Damn paint. Stay away! Even it sees the light of day it will flake! Heaven forbid it sees rain, it tends to melt and bubble. Blasphemy. Why would BMW even consider putting such a volatile and delicate product on their cars! Complete bullocks I say. Frozen paint. What a hoax.
As I said. "Difficult" is subjective. It's difficult for me but clearly not for you and that's good.
      05-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #69
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I have frozen black M6. You only need to wash yourself with neutral ph snow foam and blow dry or use high quality microfibre towel to dry off. If you can wash yourself once a week and you can use Dr Beasley's product to protect the paint, then is no more difficult than ordinary metallic paint. However it is a lot more difficult to buff out hairline scratches but Dr Beasley's matte paint protection can help to some extent.
      05-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #70
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Looks killer, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #71
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatedfat View Post
Hold up, you're telling me I can make my iomg frozen???

Awesome job BTW!
Someone else had a post comparing a blue with Xpel stealth versus a true frozen. The frozen paint has a lot more depth compared to the Xpel, it's not really the same end result. However, this does accomplish 80% of the look and protects the underlying paint if that's what you are looking for.

If you really want frozen, i would just fork over the $5k to get the true frozen that will last the lifetime of the car, rather than 5 years or however long the wrap lasts.

Either way, looks great!
Incorrect.
I've done the PPF over frozen and its a dead match to frozen. And then protects it.
Frozen paint can't be touched up. Polished etc etc.
Anyone driving it is best to wrap them fully with a stealth PPF. I use stek personally as it's a nicer film than xpel. But very common practice to complete cover a frozen car. Last thing you want is scratches or chips resulting in a repaint. When you can do a PPF with 10 year warranty and redo it when needed which is significantly cheaper than paint.
Appreciate 1
jonahk705.00
      05-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #72
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

I seen this while I was at Rainer's grabbing stuff.
I as many others hated the new styling, but after seeing yours in person it changed my view on it, the spec on this one is perfectly done 👌🏻👌🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #73
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
Incorrect.
I've done the PPF over frozen and its a dead match to frozen. And then protects it.
Anyone driving it is best to wrap them fully with a stealth PPF. I use stek personally as it's a nicer film than xpel. But very common practice to complete cover a frozen car. Last thing you want is scratches or chips resulting in a repaint. When you can do a PPF with 10 year warranty and redo it when needed which is significantly cheaper than paint.
I think you misunderstood my post - I wasn't talking about PPF over a frozen. My point was that "converting" a non frozen to a frozen using Xpel stealth isn't the same as getting a frozen color to begin with. If you're not familiar with Xpel stealth you can look it up.

From what I've heard putting a clear PPF over frozen is the way to go, if you get frozen, I do agree with that. But then you have the cost of both the frozen individual paint plus cost of PPF, which is greater than cost of a non frozen color with Xpel stealth over it.

Last edited by amzbimmer; 05-10-2021 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: error
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #74
bmbob
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18' C63S, 15' M4

Garage List
Quote:
I seen this while I was at Rainer's grabbing stuff.
I as many others hated the new styling, but after seeing yours in person it changed my view on it, the spec on this one is perfectly done 👌🏻👌🏻
Oh cool, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #75
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Incorrect.
Are you sure about PPF being a "dead match" to a frozen paint?

Name:  01618353932.png
Views: 1769
Size:  466.0 KB

Before I saw this comparison photo I also thought that stealth PPF won't hinder the sheen of frozen paint. So I thought that getting frozen paint and putting PPF over it (while very $$$) would be the best of both worlds. Now I don't think so anymore. It will be a much better choice to just save your money and get regular metallic paint and put stealth PPF over it if you want a matte finish, and not to mention your car would be fully protected as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #76
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post - I wasn't talking about PPF over a frozen. My point was that "converting" a non frozen to a frozen using Xpel stealth isn't the same as getting a frozen color to begin with. If you're not familiar with Xpel stealth you can look it up.

From what I've heard putting a clear PPF over frozen is the way to go, if you get frozen, I do agree with that. But then you have the cost of both the frozen individual paint plus cost of PPF, which is greater than cost of a non frozen color with Xpel stealth over it.
I don't think you can put normal PPF over matte paint. It will just make the finish really weird as the PPF is glossy and your paint is not. You have to get stealth PPF to preserve the matte finish of the paint, but look at that photo above. It can really screw with the sheen of matte paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #77
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
I don't think you can put normal PPF over matte paint. It will just make the finish really weird as the PPF is glossy and your paint is not. You have to get stealth PPF to preserve the matte finish of the paint, but look at that photo above. It can really screw with the sheen of matte paint.
Ok, thanks, good to know. From what I've read you are correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #78
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Quote:

I believe the best option is using a satin PPF on frozen paint. BMW Frozen is more satin then matte, hence an official name like Frozen Dark Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #79
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrc3m3 View Post
I believe the best option is using a satin PPF on frozen paint. BMW Frozen is more satin then matte, hence an official name like Frozen Dark Grey Metallic
Thanks, I found this video. The Satin Guard PPF looks pretty decent in the video over the Frozen blue.

Last edited by amzbimmer; 05-20-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #80
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

That looks awesome!! But the Xpel Stealth wrap isn't cheap, right, I would think it runs around $5k for the entire car? Man, if I do an individual color and Xpel Stealth it, it would cost near $10k for the paint!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #81
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrc3m3 View Post
Thanks, I found this video. The Satin Guard PPF looks pretty decent in the video over the Frozen blue.

Thanks for posting. Going to a shop in 2 weeks who is doing this so I can see in person before I make my final decisions. Want to keep most of, if not all of the sheen the frozen paint has vs a matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #82
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperor View Post
That looks awesome!! But the Xpel Stealth wrap isn't cheap, right, I would think it runs around $5k for the entire car? Man, if I do an individual color and Xpel Stealth it, it would cost near $10k for the paint!
You'd likely be 1 of 1 though. At the very least in your region. Is that worth $10k?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #83
DHDCF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Stealth Wrapped FDG I5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperor View Post
Here in San Antonio full xpel stealth wrap will run you a cool 7k. That cost is xpel proper as their install hq is right here in SA. They do it right though, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:24 PM   #84
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbob View Post
No, it will be identical to how BMW frozen comes (take a look at the frozen grey's). Leaving out all the carbon bits and gloss parts.
So did you leave the CF and gloss parts unprotected or use the clear xpel?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #85
bmbob
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18' C63S, 15' M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
So did you leave the CF and gloss parts unprotected or use the clear xpel?
Yes, clear xpel over all other parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #86
nptguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACremona22 View Post
Are you wrapping the black accent pieces in frozen as well?
No, it will be identical to how BMW frozen comes (take a look at the frozen grey's). Leaving out all the carbon bits and gloss parts.

Did you wrap the carbon and gloss parts in the clear Xpel or leave them unwrapped? Wrapping mine in stealth tomorrow and having a hard time getting the guy to agree to two types of ppf on one car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #87
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nptguy View Post
Did you wrap the carbon and gloss parts in the clear Xpel or leave them unwrapped? Wrapping mine in stealth tomorrow and having a hard time getting the guy to agree to two types of ppf on one car.
This was answered in the previous post. Can’t figure out why the PPF guy would have an issue doing this. Maybe go with someone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #88
nptguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nptguy View Post
This was answered in the previous post. Can't figure out why the PPF guy would have an issue doing this. Maybe go with someone else.
Honestly the guy is a mess. Dropped my car off today and reminded him that I wanted Stealth. He told me that he thought that it was clear Xpel (from the above you know that we had the conversation multiple times) and would be 3 more days. This made no sense but I got over it and left my car with him. 2 hours later he texted and said that Stealth was $1500 more than clear, which it isn't from what I hear from others. Then an hour later he told me that he couldn't do the tint because Xpel hadn't designed the tint for G80 yet!

This is a reputable shop owned by the BMW, Audi, Porsche dealer and on the property. I would take my car back and find another shop but work is crazy and I just don't have the time. I want the effing car and I am done waiting so I am going to spend the extra money like an idiot.

Sorry for the rant…
Appreciate 0