BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #23
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

OP, I respect what you're seeking. I'm guessing Lynchburg gets cold (<45°F) but rarely snows more than a couple inches at a time. And you're probably not driving in a highly spirited fashion in colder months, if ever. High-performance all-season tires like Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s would be a good solution for you.

I've had great service over the decades with Tire Rack, so call them as you're shopping around.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #24
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Boom. Theyre here. Pilot sport AS 4. Tread looks legit also
This is what I'm going with. how do you like them compared to 4s evey day driving?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #25
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Quote:
This is what I'm going with. how do you like them compared to 4s evey day driving?
I've been using them for almost 2 months now. I can't tell the difference between the PS4 AS and the Pirellis that came with the car but I'm a normal everyday driver that has some fun occasionally. The tread pattern is fairly blocky for an AS so I'm guessing they will handle the cold fine but maybe just a dusting of snow which is fine for me.
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1612.50
      12-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #26
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
Quote:
I've been using them for almost 2 months now. I can't tell the difference between the PS4 AS and the Pirellis that came with the car but I'm a normal everyday driver that has some fun occasionally. The tread pattern is fairly blocky for an AS so I'm guessing they will handle the cold fine but maybe just a dusting of snow which is fine for me.
That's good to hear. Since it's awd I'm not to worried about getting stuck like my past M's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #27
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

IMO all-season tires are a legitimate option if you live in a colder climate and want to drive the car in winter, but not in snow. I"m picking my car up this week and might as well park it in the garage for January and February with the OEM summer tires on it. I have another car that I can drive in the snow, so all seasons are appealing to me. I can enjoy the car in colder weather and have much better traction on cold, dry roads than I'd have with the OEM tires. I'm planning to buy a square set of 19 x 9.5 wheels and probably put 275/35 19 DWS06's on them.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 2
Llarry16387.00
      12-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #28
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
IMO all-season tires are a legitimate option if you live in a colder climate and want to drive the car in winter, but not in snow. I"m picking my car up this week and might as well park it in the garage for January and February with the OEM summer tires on it. I have another car that I can drive in the snow, so all seasons are appealing to me. I can enjoy the car in colder weather and have much better traction on cold, dry roads than I'd have with the OEM tires. I'm planning to buy a square set of 19 x 9.5 wheels and probably put 275/35 19 DWS06's on them.
Agree. I do have another vehicle to drive but didn't want to run all-seasons in the summer anyway so i bit the bullet and ordered 19x9.5 wheels as you plan to and had PA-5s installed on them. I was able to secure the tires but if that's an issue due to short supply then yes, DWS is a great choice. I've run them before on my 540 and actually run them all year around with no issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #29
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Lots of great info in this thread already! Just two quick things to add, from my and some friends' experiences.

1 - someone above posted that a conservative (relatively) driver on the OEM summer tires can get 18-19k out of the OEM summers, and won't get better than that on an all season version. I know plenty of folks who have put the Michelin pilot all seasons (and similar tires) on high powered cars, including C7s (z06s) and other rwd cars with more power than G8x cars, and they have been able to get well into the 20s on them (I want to say one friend got north of 30k...but I don't think traction control EVER comes off and he's a right lane, speed limit guy even in 600+ HP cars. To each their own! Makes him happy.) So I do believe that AS tires can last materially longer than ultra high performance, summer-only tires, all other things being equal.

2 - UHP summer-only tires are incredibly sticky, especially when warm. For those of us who daily drive them, this can mean an absurd frequency of picking up nails, screws, and other objects that can mean a new tire...) I have had summers where I picked up a puncture every month for 5 or 6 months. The typical high performance AS tires are often double-ish treadwear indicator of the summer-only versions, which means they are MUCH less sticky, and I find that means you can often luck out where items you drive over get flung off (instead of sticking, and then slowly working their way into a puncture). Even pebbles get fully embedded in hot, UHP summer-only tires.

Overall from what I've seen, the life of the OEM pilot sports and P Zeros isn't even close to the AS versions. They are all great tires, IF you match the tire to your use and preferences.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #30
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

i am rocking the pilot sport all seasons 4 for cold weather!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #31
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

And the rims rock, too! Bonus points for choosing a design that's easy to clean when it's cold outside.
Appreciate 0