bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So I called to cancel and am back to 200 for $74. Actually used the chat. Anyway I'm still getting the faster speed for now but don't really notice that much difference. So yeah unless they can get fiber upload speed and latency not worth it to upgrade.
So dumb question... what equipment are you using?

For the full 1Gb download... you are going to need a higher capacity modem?
A lot of modems max out at 500mb. The best my Netgear Nighthawk can pull is 650mb through the house. If I run an ethernet line directly to the modem... I can hit 950mb.

Most people don't need more than 500mb, BUT if you have say a family of four and everyone is working from home or doing school online you need the bandwidth.

I do video editing and design so my file sizes regularly are a few Gigs at a time and I have to download and upload to my servers and client servers.
Yeah they said I need to upgrade my modem. Speed test is showing around 560 download. I cancelled but I'm still getting the higher speed for now. Though I don't notice much difference aside from speed test.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #25
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

Years ago when moving into our current house, the first thing I did was get Verizon FIOS, and after going from "Triple Play" (Internet/Phone/TV) to "Double Play" (Internet/TV) to just internet, I was paying $65/month for 50 MB, not a good deal.

The last few years whenever I would call to upgrade, they would tell me my outside Box could only handle speeds up to 100 mb, and it would cost $300 to upgrade it, plus $90/month for 200mb speed, which clearly I wasn't going to do.

So about 6+ months ago, I noticed Verizon FIOS deals for 1GB for $90/month. I made the call and this time they agreed to upgrade my box for free, and if I paid using my credit card automatically each month, it would be $80/month .... SOLD!

The biggest difference for me is when uploading files for work, it is amazing the difference. literally seconds instead of many minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I pay about $90 a month for gig service with Comcast. While it's nice to be able to download files/updates at a faster rate, I could really care less as I'm hosting some servers on my home network and focus on the upload speeds which are more important to me. I went with gig service as it's the fastest upload speed available for me in my area.

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #26
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I currently pay $140/month for unlimited 500mb down (internet in Oklahoma is expensive for some reason). I already have my own DOCSIS 3.1 Modem, but would need to upgrade from our Amplifi Mesh system for faster wireless speeds.

I'm sitting on my work laptop in my living room, just ran speedtest over WiFi, still getting ~150mb down. So I don't really see the need to upgrade.

My sim rig is hardwired and pulls 400mb+ down.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:37 PM   #27
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I currently pay $140/month for unlimited 500mb down (internet in Oklahoma is expensive for some reason). I already have my own DOCSIS 3.1 Modem, but would need to upgrade from our Amplifi Mesh system for faster wireless speeds.

I'm sitting on my work laptop in my living room, just ran speedtest over WiFi, still getting ~150mb down. So I don't really see the need to upgrade.

My sim rig is hardwired and pulls 400mb+ down.
You may need to adjust your WiFi settings I was getting slower wireless speeds than wired until I turned on 5 ghz which wasn't on for some reason. Or could just be the location of your routers.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #28
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
You may need to adjust your WiFi settings I was getting slower wireless speeds than wired until I turned on 5 ghz which wasn't on for some reason. Or could just be the location of your routers.
I meant to say, the current Amplifi HD we have isn't capable of 1 gb speed. So I'd have to upgrade to the more expensive Amplifi System or switch to a different mesh setup.

5GHz has been enabled since I got the system years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #29
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

So I tried a few different mesh systems when I upgraded from my ASUS single point router in my new larger houses and after 4 "meh" runs I ended up right back with ASUS, specifically the XT8 Zenwifi AX. Mainly because I wanted to have a wired connecting in my office and its basically 2 full 3 band routers that can operate in mesh mode, so each router has a 4 port switch built in.

I got what I want, and from the node in my office, which is using wireless backhaul to the main node in a media closet downstairs in the back of the house I consistently get 800-840mb/s with single digit ms latency. 38 devices on it. You can even "bind" devices to individual nodes to force them to a specific node if they struggle with mesh systems or constantly grab the wrong node, etc. Stupid fucking nest connects do this, I had to bind them to get them to be reliable and Google could never troubleshoot it. You could even do a wired backhaul and I have an outlet in my office, just was too lazy and it runs so well with the wireless backhaul.

You can also hook USB drives up to it and use it as NAS. So I have my media server hardwired to the secondary node and on the primary node a massive USB drive I use as basically a timeport for all of my computers.

About the only knock is the QoS uses a service managed by a company based in China and you can make of that what you want, but I dont use QoS so I just left it disabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #30
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
How much are you paying for 1 gig internet?
Verizon FiOS (1 GB Internet only) $79.99 / month

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Just curious, those of you who get these elite internet speeds and fiber setups, do you really notice a profound difference or need such speeds? If so, for what type of activities are such speeds required?
Yes, my app and OS updates are faster. TV streaming never lags and MS Teams video and voice is better (higher resolution) than some of my co-workers.

It also helps feed the 47 devices on the network, e.g. IoT junk, iPhones, iPads, etc.

Last edited by omasou; 01-14-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:59 PM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
How much are you paying for 1 gig internet?
Verizon FiOS (1 GB Internet only) $79.99 / month

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Just curious, those of you who get these elite internet speeds and fiber setups, do you really notice a profound difference or need such speeds? If so, for what type of activities are such speeds required?
Yes, my app and OS updates are faster. TV streaming never lags and MS Teams video and voice is better (higher resolution) than some of my co-workers.

It also helps feed the 47 devices on the network, e.g. IoT junk, iPhones, iPads, etc.
I noticed faster speeds on mm wave and it wasn't even fast upload. If you have fiber with fast upload it will be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #32
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

So I discovered this trick where I pay for 200mbps speed but get over 500. Just sign up for 1 gig internet and then cancel. They will bill you for lower speed after increasing your speed but not necessarily lower your speed back at least not right away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0