BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Harman Kardon - Bass

How are you guys liking the bass on your HK systems?

The car's got the worst bass of any car I've ever had. I am unable to perceive any significant difference between 0 bass and max bass (forget between one or two notches above the mid-point). There's some minor difference but I almost feel like it's like a placebo effect.

Input source: Apple CarPlay (shouldn't affect this as I'm running Carplay in my other car too)

Cars I'm comparing with:
2016 BMW 435i Gran Coupe with HK - sweet bass, very solid and obvious
2021 BMW X5 45e with HK - excellent sound system, great bass

And then there's my 2022 BMW M4 Competition that sounds like it's got almost no bass. I'm almost inclined to believe that there's something wrong with the amplifier or the bass speakers that are supposed to be under the seats.

Other than bass, most other frequencies also sound quite unimpressive compared to how rich and premium the same music sounds in my X5 45e. I get that a 5-series like class of vehicle may have better sound than a 3/4-series class vehicle but the difference is stark. And it used to be so much better in the 435i GC I sold.

All this said, the ASD produces a lot of bass. Which confuses me even more.
      01-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

I agree with you. This HK system is by far the worst of any HK I have had and I've had a lot of them. If the BW from the M8 was an option on this car, I would gladly have paid the money.
kjx3191.00
      01-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
I'm not even a sound guy but i thought it was just my car. The HK system is my car sounds like garbage compared to the ancient bose system i have in my C7Z.

Like there's no comparison. No wonder the guy at the dealer that was guiding me with the intro of the car said, "hold up let me do the sound settings real quick".

Apparently whatever he did, did nothing. Because it still sucks.
Appreciate 1
kjx3191.00
      01-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Agreed. This is the only thing about this car that's really a disappointment. Not the worst car audio I ever had, but noticeably thinner than other BMW/HK systems in my cars.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 2
kjx3191.00
      01-02-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

I'm curious whether anyone has tried swapping out the subs under the seats? I believe they're the same ones as in the standard 3-series HK's.
      01-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I have zero issues with the HK system. 🤷🏻*♂️

However I am:

1. Not a major audiophile and
2. I've been to way too many concerts without any hearing protection, so my hearing sucks.

As far as settings go, I have it set to use the Logic 7 surround and have the equalizer settings in somewhat of a V shape.

Again, not an audiophile so who knows if this is even a "correct" way of doing it but I'm satisfied with it based on my music listening.
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 3
kjx3191.00
Limegrntaln13415.50
      01-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #7
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm curious whether anyone has tried swapping out the subs under the seats? I believe they're the same ones as in the standard 3-series HK's.
I'll have them test the audio system speaker by speaker with the first round of things I want them to address with the car.

It's not that it's bad - it's so bad I have to question if the speakers responsible for bass are even working. The limited amount of bass I'm hearing could be coming out the larger center speaker.

It's also weird that I have to push the volume above 50% to get the same level of overall loudness as 25% would produce in my X5. This is making me question if the system is 464-watt as they're actually claiming.
Limegrntaln13415.50
Matt21435.00
      01-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #8
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Yea this system is pretty meh, especially after the 19 speaker, 780 watt one in my 21' RS5. Big letdown in that regard. I've tweaked the settings a bit which helped, but second the notion from the above user about having to push the volume to 50% or more to get decent sound.

What I did was push the treble all the way up, bass to +5, fader to -3, and also added the settings from that Youtuber (What's your forte). I may try different EQ settings too. One of my biggest annoyances is how much you have to raise the volume to hear the vocals in some songs and these settings did help quite a bit with that.
Appreciate 1
kjx3191.00
      01-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #9
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

However I am:

2. I've been to way too many concerts without any hearing protection, so my hearing sucks.

As far as settings go, I have it set to use the Logic 7 surround and have the equalizer settings in somewhat of a V shape.

Again, not an audiophile so who knows if this is even a "correct" way of doing it but I'm satisfied with it based on my music listening.

That is EXACTLY how the guy at the dealer configured it lol. He must've done so many M3/M4's recently because he was in the passenger seat using the scroll wheel and it was doing it left handed like a pro. He literally configured all that in under 10 seconds. It was pretty impressive honestly.

Although the sound still isn't good lol
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019081.50
      01-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #10
playswcars
///M-Thusiast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 M50i

Garage List
I also came from an X5 45e with the hk option. The hk on the G20/80 is noticeably weaker and less punchy. The G05 system, once equalized properly sounded awesome.

I'll be looking into Bavsound or Focal upgrades this year.

Past: G80 M3x, G80 M3, G05 X5, F82 M4, F87 M2C, F20 M140i
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Yup, the HK in the G8x is probably one of the very few things that are inferior to the previous gens.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #12
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

I have a 2018 430i with the Harmon Kardon stereo and have a G83 on order. Is there a spot I can go to in order to do a comparison of the specs (output, # of speakers, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #13
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

However I am:

Ah, the legendary "v curve" setting - that's what I use on my Mesa Boogie guitar amplifiers.

As you were…
Appreciate 6
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
chicagofan0019081.50
jabrax10.50
Alarmin505.00
BimmerFix1384.50
      01-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #14
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone have exact settings for this V curve? Would be interested in trying it out
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #15
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Yea this system is pretty meh, especially after the 19 speaker, 780 watt one in my 21' RS5. Big letdown in that regard. I've tweaked the settings a bit which helped, but second the notion from the above user about having to push the volume to 50% or more to get decent sound.

What I did was push the treble all the way up, bass to +5, fader to -3, and also added the settings from that Youtuber (What's your forte). I may try different EQ settings too. One of my biggest annoyances is how much you have to raise the volume to hear the vocals in some songs and these settings did help quite a bit with that.
So I tried a few things and I'm listing them in the order of percieved improvement:
1. Turned off Active Sound Design (requires Bimmercode or similar) - I was hesitant to do this before because I like the additional engine noise or thought I did. But two things happened when I did this -
(a) the engine and exhaust actually sounded so much better without the artificial drone drowning it out! I'm only hearing actual engine and exhaust noise now, and it all sounds so good in Sports+.
(b) music audio quality dramatically improved.

2. I had the 'Bowers & Wilkins' sound profiles available through Bimmercode. Changed it to the 'Movie Theater' sound profile. And also maxed out the surround intensity further down in that menu.

3. I set bass to max, and treble to -3.

Bass is more evident now and closer to what I had in my previous car. The sound system is not quite like in my X5 but at least it's not like something out of a $20K car.
      01-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #16
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
So I tried a few things and I'm listing them in the order of percieved improvement:
1. Turned off Active Sound Design (requires Bimmercode or similar) - I was hesitant to do this before because I like the additional engine noise or thought I did. But two things happened when I did this -
(a) the engine and exhaust actually sounded so much better without the artificial drone drowning it out! I'm only hearing actual engine and exhaust noise now, and it all sounds so good in Sports+.

2. I had the 'Bowers & Wilkins' sound profiles available through Bimmercode. Changed it to the 'Movie Theater' sound profile. And also maxed out the surround intensity further down in that menu.

Bass is more evident now and closer to what I had in my previous car. The sound system is not quite like in my X5 but at least it's not like something out of a $20K car.
This might be a dumb question but does bimmercode void warranty?

I would really like to disable permanently the artificial sound. Plus i heard it can also permanently remove all the driver aids to stay OFF? Even when i restart the car. I hate having to manually turn everything off each time i start the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #17
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
nah.. just coded a bunch of stuff today.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #18
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

I would really like to disable permanently the artificial sound. Plus i heard it can also permanently remove all the driver aids to stay OFF? Even when i restart the car. I hate having to manually turn everything off each time i start the car.
If you're just changing basic settings, it's harmless. Officially, BMW does not have a policy on it that I'm aware of.

I don't remember seeing a setting to turn off driver aids permanently. I'm pretty alright will everything I can disable permanently in iDrive itself.
      01-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #19
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're just changing basic settings, it's harmless. Officially, BMW does not have a policy on it that I'm aware of.

I don't remember seeing a setting to turn off driver aids permanently. I'm pretty alright will everything I can disable permanently in iDrive itself.

The button next to the hazards with the green circle, i just long press it until it turns off completely. Then seems to turn everything off. No more lane assist, no more front collision (which slams on the brakes when parking or going through my tight driveway).

I just hate pressing the button each time.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #20
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed write out! I'd love to get this a shot. Is bimmercode wireless or do you need to do connect through some sort of port in the car? Haven't used it before. Do you just buy the software (and hardware) on their site directly or do you decide what features you want coded and they do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:08 PM   #21
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed write out! I'd love to get this a shot. Is bimmercode wireless or do you need to do connect through some sort of port in the car? Haven't used it before. Do you just buy the software (and hardware) on their site directly or do you decide what features you want coded and they do it for you?
All you need to know is at the site: https://www.bimmercode.app/

You need to buy an OBD II Bluetooth dongle (not specific to Bimmercode) and then connect to it from the easy to use app. You have to pay for the app (once).
      01-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #22
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

I wouldn't even bother with the HK system. First upgrade for me was Bavsound Stage 1 with subwoofers. Makes a dramatic difference in midrange and bass response.

The speaker replacements are easy to do as a DIY and take about half-a-day.

Bavsound website doesn't have a G80 to pick from but the system (HK 688) is exactly as the G20. No difference at all.
Appreciate 1
kjx3191.00